Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about the Magic Kingdom's Jungle Cruise

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about the Magic Kingdom's Jungle Cruise

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love about the Magic Kingdom's Jungle Cruise by Chris Barry

Chris heads up river to explore the Jungle Cruise in the Magic Kingdom.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

My favorite line I also heard only once. "This is the backside of Schweitzer Falls, named after the backside of Albert Schweitzer."

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

1. The skippers
    2. The skippers
    3. The skippers
    4. The Headhunters
    5. The Rhino

As they move further and further away from Walt's vision, these kinds of amusements really speak to my love for what he has done for us and our children. Would love to have someone with a more Walt centric view take over the company. I keep hoping.

One that sticks in my mind, a young lady skipper at the Hippos (normally the gunshot scene): "Lets see if I can scare them off" (then at the top of her lungs) "I want a commitment!!! Where is this relationship going?" (then a more normal speaking level) "Well, it worked for my last boyfriend, so I figured it was worth a shot".

You don't see that spin on that scene every day! (that may not be verbatim, but you get the idea)

I'll agree on the temple scene too. That's a neat part of the voyage, and it's sort of cool that that part is unique in terms of the WDW and DL versions, since DL doesn't have that part of the trip.

The "Jingle Cruise" overlay is neat as well. (Holiday themed jokes too, so it's perfect!)

I like the boats, but a little less since that one time when a downpour happened while I was on the ride and I had the luck to be in one of the (only 2, IIRC) seats that is entirely not covered, so the rain came straight down on me for almost the whole trip. Wasn't easy putting on a poncho without standing up, but I managed (sort of - I still got soaked. And since I obviously couldn't stand up, the poncho didn't end up between me and the now soaking wet seats either, so I was sitting in a large puddle).

I'll also be down there in a little over a week. I didn't pick a FP for Jungle Cruise, but will try to do standby in my somewhat limited MK time (focusing on EPC for Illuminations and Epcot Forever switch over(along with F&W, of course!), and also trying to check out Galaxy's Edge a bit at DHS- though I could make my way back to MK after those events take place).

-Dave

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    My favorite line I also heard only once. "This is the backside of Schweitzer Falls, named after the backside of Albert Schweitzer."
    Nice. And a little irreverent as well!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    1. The skippers
    2. The skippers
    3. The skippers
    4. The Headhunters
    5. The Rhino

As they move further and further away from Walt's vision, these kinds of amusements really speak to my love for what he has done for us and our children. Would love to have someone with a more Walt centric view take over the company. I keep hoping.
    The hope also has to be that there are people fighting for attractions like this to stay true to their origins. I think a great example is Peter Pan's Flight. The new queue seemed like it fit the ride perfectly. A modernization, that still seemed to honor the roots of the ride.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    One that sticks in my mind, a young lady skipper at the Hippos (normally the gunshot scene): "Lets see if I can scare them off" (then at the top of her lungs) "I want a commitment!!! Where is this relationship going?" (then a more normal speaking level) "Well, it worked for my last boyfriend, so I figured it was worth a shot".

You don't see that spin on that scene every day! (that may not be verbatim, but you get the idea)

I'll agree on the temple scene too. That's a neat part of the voyage, and it's sort of cool that that part is unique in terms of the WDW and DL versions, since DL doesn't have that part of the trip.

The "Jingle Cruise" overlay is neat as well. (Holiday themed jokes too, so it's perfect!)

I like the boats, but a little less since that one time when a downpour happened while I was on the ride and I had the luck to be in one of the (only 2, IIRC) seats that is entirely not covered, so the rain came straight down on me for almost the whole trip. Wasn't easy putting on a poncho without standing up, but I managed (sort of - I still got soaked. And since I obviously couldn't stand up, the poncho didn't end up between me and the now soaking wet seats either, so I was sitting in a large puddle).

I'll also be down there in a little over a week. I didn't pick a FP for Jungle Cruise, but will try to do standby in my somewhat limited MK time (focusing on EPC for Illuminations and Epcot Forever switch over(along with F&W, of course!), and also trying to check out Galaxy's Edge a bit at DHS- though I could make my way back to MK after those events take place).
    Absolutely love that hippo line!!!

I will definitely be at the final Illuminations and the premiere of Epcot Forever. I'm typically in Germany watching. Maybe we can say hello?

This column brought up something I have noticed but never had a chance to ask if anyone knows...(except for the Hong Kong trainee the article mentioned), I never hear the skippers ever make comments/corny jokes or anything inside the Mekong River Temple. They are nonstop before you go inside and then immediately afterwards but it is always just a silent ride while in the Temple. Is there a reason for this? Is it because it is representative of a temple and they don't want anyone to be offended? I'm sure it is not because they couldn't think of anything to make a joke about!!
    Anyone else notice this?

My guess would be that, with the acoustics of the temple, any use of the boat's sound system would be so echo-y that no one could understand anything.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    My guess would be that, with the acoustics of the temple, any use of the boat's sound system would be so echo-y that no one could understand anything.
    That's quite possible. My adorable trainee only squeaked out one verse in the beginning of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Absolutely love that hippo line!!!

I will definitely be at the final Illuminations and the premiere of Epcot Forever. I'm typically in Germany watching. Maybe we can say hello?
    That sounds like a plan! I think Dan is possibly down there too? (Dan, will you still be there for the final Illuminations? or headed back home before that?).

Not sure where I might try to camp to see the show (as you can imagine, no FP+ luck! ), but I am pretty sure I'll be in EPC most of the day on the 30th, or at least from mid-day onward since my FP+s start at noon (might hit DHS for Galaxy's Edge in the early morning).

I will probably not spend too much time at DHS in the morning, as I don't want to risk EPC reaching capacity (not sure if that's a real risk, but I don't want to find out the hard way, that would be a bummer!)

I'll probably similarly spend a lot of the day in EPC on the 1st, though I do have Oga's reservations mid afternoon (which now that I'm thinking about it might make sense to cancel for the same reason re: risk of EPC reaching capacity).
    -Dave

Chris, Dan,

I sent you both a PM here with contact info if you would like to try to do a quick hello @ EPC on Monday or Tuesday.

Hope your trips are going well!

-Dave