Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Team MousePlanet: Disneyland Half Marathon and Dumbo Double Dare

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Team MousePlanet: Disneyland Half Marathon and Dumbo Double Dare

Disneyland Half Marathon and Dumbo Double Dare by Lorree Tachell

Lorree shares her experience with Disneyland's very first 10K, and Dumbo Double Dare Challenge

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Wow...Lorree, you are such a trouper! Thanks for sharing your story & congrats on completing the DL half under such grueling conditions.

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

I saw a lot of times over the 16 min pace. Did they cancel the "balloon lady" pacers because of the heat?

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Wow...Lorree, you are such a trouper! Thanks for sharing your story & congrats on completing the DL half under such grueling conditions.
    Thank you! It was quite the day.

I've been called many things for completing the half. Trouper is a nice one.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oohykitten View Post
    I saw a lot of times over the 16 min pace. Did they cancel the "balloon lady" pacers because of the heat?
    Good question. I sure didn't see any but I was rather heads-down focused.
    RunningFool

Thanks for sharing your experience; I'm so sorry it was so horrible for you. After reading your story, and thinking about how lousy my husband and I felt during and after the races (and we're heat runners), it makes me wish runDisney would consider pushing this event back to late September, when summer is "officially" over. It's one thing to do one race in hotter temps; to have a multi-day running event, you really need to consider weather conditions. As cold as we were when we ran Goofy 2010, we didn't feel nearly as depleted in January in Orlando running twice the distance as we did after Dumbo.

I mean, races aside, runDisney must consider that the runners will likely spend the daytime, both before and between events, in the parks (isn't that part of the draw of running a Disney race?). It is a real factor that's going to affect our health on race morning, no matter how many electrolyte drinks we take in all day. Heat is evil. You add humidity? Forget it. My body didn't know how to deal with all the fluids I was losing from the heat and humidity during the races and throughout the day in between races.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries

The best Disneyland Half was the inaugural event in 2006 when it was two weeks later in September and the weather was fall perfect and low park crowds. Unfortunately, the sharp pencils of Disney Corporate look only at when they can get the most crowds in to the park no matter the impact of the weather. Labor Day was oddly enough a slower holiday weekend in the park due to back-to-school and (ta-da!) the weather which is why they bumped the Half up to force higher attendance numbers.

I still remember sitting outside of the Disneyland Hotel after completing the 2007 Disneyland half (the other major weather-impacted event) feeling and looking like a total mess. It was obvious I was one of many who struggled with the heat and humidity that year. The then-President of Disneyland waltzed by with his entourage. "How are you doing? You look great!" and zoomed by without even stopping to hear a response. Really? Looked great? Ya got my $$$ - guess that is really all that mattered.

If it wasn't for the Disneyland Half which I love even with all the challenges, I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near Disneyland until later in the fall and I know a lot of others who feel the same way.

Last edited by RunningFool; 09-23-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    RunningFool

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you felt so miserable. A friend who runs ultras recently told me that her times vary quite a bit--everything from a 1:45 half to a 3:15 half--it all depends upon how she is feeling that day. It was quite freeing to know that it is ok (and smart) to listen to your body. Thanks for your wisdom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you felt so miserable. A friend who runs ultras recently told me that her times vary quite a bit--everything from a 1:45 half to a 3:15 half--it all depends upon how she is feeling that day. It was quite freeing to know that it is ok (and smart) to listen to your body. Thanks for your wisdom.
    There are times when it's ok to push through what your body is telling you but there are other times if you don't listen, your body will MAKE you do so and that may not be pretty (or even safe). Part of that goes with 'leaving your ego at the door' and realizing not every run is going to be a PR. Last year I had the best time running both mentally and physically as I was hitting PR's left and right. This year, not so much. It's been a step-back year with the hope that next year (my last in my current age group) will be better. Frustrating but it is what it is.
    RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was miserable. I think we all agree about that. My time (which I didn't find out until the next day) was by far my worst every. I didn't care. I finished uninjured after a summer of injuries so that was my mission accomplished. I can tell you though that the extra 45 minutes I spent pounding the pavement in the heat really wore on me. I usually take 20oz of electrolytes with me, get water from three water station and end up with about 4oz of electrolytes at the finish. At DDD I tool a liter bottle because that is what I went through on the 10k. I finished my liter bottle of electrolytes before mile 8. They refilled my bottle with water and I mixed more Nuun. I still got water at the water stations and I almost finished the 2nd liter of electrolytes. This on top of the salt tabs I took at 6.2. Oh, and TMI, but I didn't pee until 5pm that evening.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a lot of hydration for you, Fairest! I can't imagine how much I would have gone through (probably my 24 oz/2 miles, that happens in training here, actually)

Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    That's a lot of hydration for you, Fairest! I can't imagine how much I would have gone through (probably my 24 oz/2 miles, that happens in training here, actually)
    It was a TON for me. AND I was totally freaked out that I would over hydrate and get sick like I did last year at DL Half. I just kept reminding myself to take small sips to avoid that sloshing feeling. Plus, I think the salt tabs helped. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also took a salt packet at mile 11. I had not trained in that kind of heat. I'm a little concerned about a repeat at W&D, but at least the sun won't be beating down on us.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries

By the way, did anyone notice that the original DDD finisher's certificates misspell "Inaugural"? "You've conquered the Inauguarl Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland Resort." I understand the error has been corrected since I downloaded my certificate but it's just one last reminder on how the event went.

Darned amusing...

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    By the way, did anyone notice that the original DDD finisher's certificates misspell "Inaugural"? "You've conquered the Inauguarl Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland Resort." I understand the error has been corrected since I downloaded my certificate but it's just one last reminder on how the event went.

Darned amusing...
    Guess they couldn't afford a copy editor...
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Guess they couldn't afford a copy editor...
    Not everyone can work with one of the best...
    RunningFool