Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Walt Disney World Resort Update

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Walt Disney World Resort Update

Walt Disney World Resort Update by Mark Goldhaber
    November 14 - November 20, 2011
    Disney begins testing RFID admission media at Epcot | Disney wins four Thea Awards | Exotic Driving Experience releases details | Braves announce spring training schedule | and more.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

RFID Tickets

No wonder admission keeps going up. They will pour millions into ensuring no one might do something so awful as, say, give their ticket to a friend, and they'll put huge technology into security of ticket media .... but they won't spend money to make their parks better and do something like re-opening Wonders of Life.

Somebody at Disney has a very skewed sense of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by IrvThal View Post
    No wonder admission keeps going up. They will pour millions into ensuring no one might do something so awful as, say, give their ticket to a friend, and they'll put huge technology into security of ticket media .... but they won't spend money to make their parks better and do something like re-opening Wonders of Life.

Somebody at Disney has a very skewed sense of priorities.
    I hardly think that's fair. Given the steep discounts that the higher multi-day passes offer, there is a significant financial incentive involved in trying to transfer them. Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to try everything they can to reduce such fraud.

More importantly, though, this new endeavor is an attempt to shorten lines for their guests. Ticket security is already pretty good as-is, so the anti-fraud benefit probably isn't even the main one. It's improving the guest experience (and perhaps reducing personnel costs). Are you saying you don't want to have shorter and quicker lines at the turnstiles?

Powers &8^]

I know some larger people who really dislike turnstyles that might be very happy about this! My biggest concern would be the stickers peeling off and getting stuck in the regular ticket readers from this trial...

On another note, I really appreciate all the effort you put in to these update Mark! I have a question on this item though:

Fantasmic – is not performed January 5 through February 12, 2012.
    The parks calendar has 6:30 PM performances listed for January 6th through 8th. I'm hoping they added an extra weekend since I arrive late on the 6th and want to see it (and the Osborn lights afterward!) on Saturday the 7th. Any idea if these additional performances can be confirmed?
    -Craig => DVC owner @ BLT, VGC, AKV, & VWL + D23 first day member (and if we didn't live so far away I'd be in the parks a LOT more!!! )

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Craig, I haven't gotten updated info in a couple of weeks. I'll see what I can find out.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And since newly issued park passes will be RFID-enabled to allow full implementation of this system any time in the future, Disney will not need to perform the additional step of linking tag to card, meaning this process will only speed up in the future.
    Are they going to be putting RFIDs in APs as well?
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Goldhaber View Post
    Craig, I haven't gotten updated info in a couple of weeks. I'll see what I can find out.
    Awesome, thanks Mark! I'll keep watching eagerly every week & Happy Thanksgiving!
    -Craig => DVC owner @ BLT, VGC, AKV, & VWL + D23 first day member (and if we didn't live so far away I'd be in the parks a LOT more!!! )

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisVCGeek View Post
    Awesome, thanks Mark! I'll keep watching eagerly every week & Happy Thanksgiving!
    Looks like they decided to hold off on the refurbishment until after the weekend. Enjoy the show!

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Are they going to be putting RFIDs in APs as well?
    They put an RFID sticker on my AP. I'm assuming that, should they move forward with this new format as a standard, that all pass cardstock will have RFID chips in them. They may even start keying the resort rooms to RFID, as they do on the ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Goldhaber View Post
    Looks like they decided to hold off on the refurbishment until after the weekend. Enjoy the show!
    Thanks, I will! Fantasmic! is a favorite for my family.