Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World E Ticket Attractions

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World E Ticket Attractions

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World E Ticket Attractions by Chris Barry

Chris narrows down his top headline attractions at Walt Disney World

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Wow, Chris, as much as I enjoy your articles, I am amazed that you have gotten it all so wrong in this one. How dare you be so subjective, lol.

In all honesty, I think you nailed most of the rides that deserve to be in a top 5 E Ticket attractions list, but I would argue that Rockin' Rollercoaster and 7 Dwarves Mine Train deserve a mention, as well as Thunder Mountain RR (Toy Story Midway Mania as well, and where is Soarin'?)

My official top 5 E Ticket Rides, based on my level of disappointment if I had to miss riding one during a visit:

5) Soarin'

4) 7 Dwarves Mine Train;

3) Toy Story Midway Mania;

2) Test Track

1) Tower of Terror

I left out Expedition Everest because of the Yeti and because I'm "old" and have lost the ability to enjoy extreme rides

In the end, thankfully, there are so many great rides at WDW that a top 5 just isn't enough. My list leaves out so many great rides that I would hate to miss: RRRC, the triple-mountain whammy, Star Tours, the Safari, and others that I have probably forgotten.

As always, an excellent article, Chris; keep 'em coming.

For me it would have to be the following
    1a. Expedition Everest
    1b. Splash Mountain
    2. Kilimanjaro Safari
    3. Star Tours
    4. Rockin Roller coaster

Disney really didn't take a flume ride that everyone else had and turn it into Splash Mountain. The first themed log flume ride was the now-classic Timber Mountain Log Flume at Knott's Berry Farm near Disneyland, which opened in 1969 and had its own audio-animatronic-like characters. The copycat, un-themed log flumes in the United States are based on that ride.

Disney didn't like that a competing park had a ride you'd expect to see at Disneyland, so they eventually decided to top Knott's and Imagineered Splash Mountain at Disneyland. Then they decided to top the Disneyland version, and copied it at Magic Kingdom with better story-telling in the bayou scene and more comfortable logs. (And changed the orchestration from a New Orleans jazz band to a Western string band.)

So really, DL's is a topper of KBF's, MK's is a topper of DL's, and the park that originally decided to put a theme on a log flume in the first place was KBF, not Disney.

My only complaint with this list is Test Track. I found it to be quite underwhelming and was missing the magic. That is what I love about its DCA counterpart, Radiator Springs Racers. It has the speed of Test Track, combined with the magic of Disney.
    I would put Star Tours on the list, at number 1.

Visit History: Disneyland: 1976, 1979, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1996, & July 2016
    Walt Disney World: Aug 2003 & Aug 2008
    Tokyo Disneyland: May 90 & Feb 92
    Disneyland Paris: Nov 04

Check out my Mickey Mouse collection at Jerm's House Of Mouse

Everyone's top five will be slightly different, but I also have to admit that Test Track would be far from my top 5. While I understand the lure of "speed", I can't ever shake the knowledge that I drove just as fast or even slightly faster on stretches of highway on the way down to the parks. 65 in a car just isn't an e-ticket attraction to me.

Here's my top 5 "E-ticket" rides:

1) Tower of Terror (just pure fun)
    2) Soarin' (amazes me every time, and the new version took it to a new level)
    3) Splash Mountain (I love this ride and it would be higher on my list, but it's SO uneven on how wet you get each ride - a single ride can spoil your day, especially on cooler days)
    4) Toy Story Mania (so many memories on this one of competing for the "family championship" and rubbing aching shoulders afterwards)
    5) Space Mountain (nicely executed thrill ride in the dark)

Jerm, I saw your comment after I made my comments above about Test Track. I couldn't agree more - going 65mph in a "speed test" just isn't "E-Ticket" to me, but going fast while being fully immersed in the world of "Cars" is. The theming makes the ride.

Totally agree with Splash MT being number one. The thrill, the story, the splash....it's a perfect combination! Now if we could get Disney to release Song of the South on bluray, my life would be complete.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I enjoyed the article but for me I'm going to expand to top 5 E ticket attractions coast to coast.

1) HyperSpace Mountain at Disneyland (Fantastic Theming and a Great Sound Track)
    2) Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios (It's again all about the theming)
    3) Radiator Springs Racers (Speed, Waterfall, Competition, and theming)
    4) Splash Mountain at The Magic Kingdom
    5) Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Wow, Chris, as much as I enjoy your articles, I am amazed that you have gotten it all so wrong in this one. How dare you be so subjective, lol.

In all honesty, I think you nailed most of the rides that deserve to be in a top 5 E Ticket attractions list, but I would argue that Rockin' Rollercoaster and 7 Dwarves Mine Train deserve a mention, as well as Thunder Mountain RR (Toy Story Midway Mania as well, and where is Soarin'?)

My official top 5 E Ticket Rides, based on my level of disappointment if I had to miss riding one during a visit:

5) Soarin'

4) 7 Dwarves Mine Train;

3) Toy Story Midway Mania;

2) Test Track

1) Tower of Terror

I left out Expedition Everest because of the Yeti and because I'm "old" and have lost the ability to enjoy extreme rides

In the end, thankfully, there are so many great rides at WDW that a top 5 just isn't enough. My list leaves out so many great rides that I would hate to miss: RRRC, the triple-mountain whammy, Star Tours, the Safari, and others that I have probably forgotten.

As always, an excellent article, Chris; keep 'em coming.
    Hey Pete,

This was a tough one for sure. I had a tough time narrowing it down and leaving certain ones off was hard, but as I said in the end, it's got to be a Top 5.

I like your methodology though, "level of disappointment," good strategy! I'd rather not miss any of them when I'm down there and I try not to.

Thanks for always reading and for the kind words.

Chris

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    For me it would have to be the following
    1a. Expedition Everest
    1b. Splash Mountain
    2. Kilimanjaro Safari
    3. Star Tours
    4. Rockin Roller coaster
    I've often thought of having tie scores Tony, your top two rides are pretty awesome.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Old is a state of mind Pete.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
    Disney really didn't take a flume ride that everyone else had and turn it into Splash Mountain. The first themed log flume ride was the now-classic Timber Mountain Log Flume at Knott's Berry Farm near Disneyland, which opened in 1969 and had its own audio-animatronic-like characters. The copycat, un-themed log flumes in the United States are based on that ride.

Disney didn't like that a competing park had a ride you'd expect to see at Disneyland, so they eventually decided to top Knott's and Imagineered Splash Mountain at Disneyland. Then they decided to top the Disneyland version, and copied it at Magic Kingdom with better story-telling in the bayou scene and more comfortable logs. (And changed the orchestration from a New Orleans jazz band to a Western string band.)

So really, DL's is a topper of KBF's, MK's is a topper of DL's, and the park that originally decided to put a theme on a log flume in the first place was KBF, not Disney.
    Nice bit of history there Mike. Perhaps i should amend my statement and say that Disney created the "ultimate flume ride?"

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jerm View Post
    My only complaint with this list is Test Track. I found it to be quite underwhelming and was missing the magic. That is what I love about its DCA counterpart, Radiator Springs Racers. It has the speed of Test Track, combined with the magic of Disney.
    I would put Star Tours on the list, at number 1.
    I'm quite sure that I would absolutely love Radiator Springs Racers. Can't wait to make it out there and see it. But I still love Test Track!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jms1969 View Post
    Everyone's top five will be slightly different, but I also have to admit that Test Track would be far from my top 5. While I understand the lure of "speed", I can't ever shake the knowledge that I drove just as fast or even slightly faster on stretches of highway on the way down to the parks. 65 in a car just isn't an e-ticket attraction to me.

Here's my top 5 "E-ticket" rides:

1) Tower of Terror (just pure fun)
    2) Soarin' (amazes me every time, and the new version took it to a new level)
    3) Splash Mountain (I love this ride and it would be higher on my list, but it's SO uneven on how wet you get each ride - a single ride can spoil your day, especially on cooler days)
    4) Toy Story Mania (so many memories on this one of competing for the "family championship" and rubbing aching shoulders afterwards)
    5) Space Mountain (nicely executed thrill ride in the dark)
    Great list and great descriptions. Thanks for contributing to the discussion!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Totally agree with Splash MT being number one. The thrill, the story, the splash....it's a perfect combination! Now if we could get Disney to release Song of the South on bluray, my life would be complete.
    Hey Gator,

I have a Song of the South PAL VHS tape from England, official release, not a bootleg. Back when I purchased it, I actually had access to a universal deck that could convert from PAL. The lengths we go to just to watch this classic film!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dpayne007 View Post
    I enjoyed the article but for me I'm going to expand to top 5 E ticket attractions coast to coast.

1) HyperSpace Mountain at Disneyland (Fantastic Theming and a Great Sound Track)
    2) Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios (It's again all about the theming)
    3) Radiator Springs Racers (Speed, Waterfall, Competition, and theming)
    4) Splash Mountain at The Magic Kingdom
    5) Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Thanks for mixing it up. Great idea.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My glass half empty comments :-)

Test track, I liked the original theme, not sure I care for it today. If they had added theming to the outside loop that would have pushed it up a notch for me.

I really liked Expedition Everest the first time we rode it. Going back and trying it again I decided I could do without going backwards.

Space Mountain WDW one of the worst roller coasters I have ever been on. I have ridden old time beat you up wooden monoliths that are easier on your body than SM is. IF they had rejuvenated it as they did the one at DLR it would be one of my top 5, even my son who is as big a roller coaster fanatic as I am will not ride it anymore either.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."