Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Roller Coasters

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Roller Coasters

My Disney Top 5 - Walt Disney World Roller Coasters by Chris Barry

Chris Barry rates the Walt Disney World coasters.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I'd have to resequence these a little...

#5 Primevil Whirl- Going to just agree with you on this. Short and a bit carnivaly for my tastes.
    #4 Big Thunder Railroad- I find it goes a little too fast to enjoy all the scenery but not fast enough so that it's a real thrill.
    #3 Expedition Everest- Some of this may be that I've only ridden it twice, but to me it's a bit of a one trick pony... if you exclude the Yeti from the ride, it falls hard.
    #2 Rock N Roll Coaster- This is the closest thing Disney has to a true thrill coaster. The music gets you pumped up (I admit to being a bit of a classic rock/80's metal fan) and the inversions really give you an adrenaline rush.
    #1 Space Mountain- This narrowly beats out Aerosmith because it is the most Disneyesque. Not in a fantasy way, but in a controlled environment, thought out ride. I will give it a bit of the criticism I give Everest- it depends on the pitch black darkness as it's thrill, but since it is prevalent throughout the whole ride rather than at a single point, it's less of an issue. This one suprises you so many times, it's definitely the king of the mountains.

Bottom line is that if you're looking for Coasters you better go to Sea World- but if you're looking for t hought out thrills, Disney is the better place to be.

The last 2 summers I've been able to have lunch in Santa Cruz every week or two, so The Giant Dipper and myself have a similar relationship to you and the Cyclone. I expected RnRC to be higher, but won't argue that it isn't. I'm cool with loops, but also love air time, which is mostly absent here. It's hard to overlook Disco Yeti, though. Doing SR, the kid with me was telling the 2 behind us (mom and sis?) to watch for the yeti, and their reaction after the ride was "What Yeti? We didn't see any Yeti!".

"I'm not interested in what you did yesterday, because I'm not going to be there. I know I can do that. It's the next thing that I'm interested in" (Walt Disney)
    "Sometimes it's not to your benefit to mess with things that are above your reach. You don't want to show yourself to be too stupid." (Bob Dylan)

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    "What Yeti? We didn't see any Yeti!".
    We had a similar priceless moment with my Dad after walking off Everest. I asked what he thought of the giant Yeti. Same response, "There was a giant Yeti?" This was back when he actually moved too! Apparently, his eyes were closed just about the entire ride.

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts.

Chris

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    I'd have to resequence these a little...

#5 Primevil Whirl- Going to just agree with you on this. Short and a bit carnivaly for my tastes.
    #4 Big Thunder Railroad- I find it goes a little too fast to enjoy all the scenery but not fast enough so that it's a real thrill.
    #3 Expedition Everest- Some of this may be that I've only ridden it twice, but to me it's a bit of a one trick pony... if you exclude the Yeti from the ride, it falls hard.
    #2 Rock N Roll Coaster- This is the closest thing Disney has to a true thrill coaster. The music gets you pumped up (I admit to being a bit of a classic rock/80's metal fan) and the inversions really give you an adrenaline rush.
    #1 Space Mountain- This narrowly beats out Aerosmith because it is the most Disneyesque. Not in a fantasy way, but in a controlled environment, thought out ride. I will give it a bit of the criticism I give Everest- it depends on the pitch black darkness as it's thrill, but since it is prevalent throughout the whole ride rather than at a single point, it's less of an issue. This one suprises you so many times, it's definitely the king of the mountains.

Bottom line is that if you're looking for Coasters you better go to Sea World- but if you're looking for t hought out thrills, Disney is the better place to be.

Good comments. I do love the surprises on Space Mountain. Doesn't matter how many times you've been there, they still get you. By the way, I love the term, " thought out thrills." It sounds like a new Disney ad slogan!

Thanks for responding,

Chris

Rockin'RC at #4? I rode it once on my first trip/honeymoon in 2002, and it was all we could think about riding again while planning the next trip. That's a #1 to me, with Everest a very very close second. As for Space Mountain, if you were talking about the D-Land version, that might move it up the charts. But the WDW version seems slower and a lot more jerky. And my kids would definitely say Thunder moves past Space as well.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Rockin'RC at #4? I rode it once on my first trip/honeymoon in 2002, and it was all we could think about riding again while planning the next trip. That's a #1 to me, with Everest a very very close second. As for Space Mountain, if you were talking about the D-Land version, that might move it up the charts. But the WDW version seems slower and a lot more jerky. And my kids would definitely say Thunder moves past Space as well.
    To each his own Gator. I knew some people would be surprised by Rock n Roller # 4, but I like a different coaster than a lot of other people out there. Sadly, I have no comparison on the Disneyland version of Space Mountain, because I STILL haven't been here. I'm working on it.

Thanks for the response and for reading Gator.

Chris

Not a fan of Primeval Whirl at all - it just beats you up and is not thrilling at all. Everytime I exit it, I tell myself never again. I'll take Goofy's Barnstormer over that any day, which is the only other WDW roller coaster-ish ride I can think of to finish off a top 5. If this were bi-coastal there would be more to choose from...

Our family would rate Primeval Whirl as #1. It's the only roller coaster everyone wants to ride every time, mainly because it's the most "physical" of the coasters. What it lacks in theming, it makes up for in thrills.

If we were to rate coasters based on how often we actually ride them (and how many of us ride together), it would go like this:

#5: Expedition Everest
    #4: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
    #3: Space Mountain
    #2: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    #1: Primeval Whirl

Of all the Disney coasters, though, Space Mountain at Disneyland wins the award for best overall coaster.

Your list and mine are almost exactly the same. The difference is that I'd put Space Mountain down a peg, solely because it's gotten so rough over the past 5 years or so that it now just beats the crap out of me. Everest is by far my favorite coaster anywhere, and I usually do 3 or 4 rides in a row!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    We had a similar priceless moment with my Dad after walking off Everest. I asked what he thought of the giant Yeti. Same response, "There was a giant Yeti?" This was back when he actually moved too! Apparently, his eyes were closed just about the entire ride.

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts.

Chris
    +1 for the Yeti situation. I'm by no means a veteran, but went both last year and this year during SW Weekends in May. Last year I hadn't known about the large animatronic Yeti that has been broken for some time. This year (having found many references on-line) I looked out for it and saw maybe a glimpse as the light pulsed.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine who was making what was his third trip slightly after I was there. He had never done Everest before (it wasn't built yet on his first trip and his kids were all too little his 2nd trip). After he got back and we compared some notes, he mentioned that the Yeti was only in silhouette. So obviously, he didn't see the one at the end, since he was referring to the scene right when you sit still for a few moments before you go forwards again.

As to the original order, I might also put Big Thunder a notch above Space(admitting that I haven't actually been on Primeval Whirl). I'm not sure if it's just because it's relatively newly renovated, but BTM at MK seemed much smoother than I remember the DL version (I believe BTM was under renovation at MK when I went in May 2012). I agree with Dan that Space (at least recently - my limited frame of reference) slams you around more.

(I had been on the DL version of BTM) probably a few times in late 2011 to early 2012 when I happened to be in the area and had free days. Maybe once the DL version is finished with the update in a few months it will be smoother as well.)
    Last edited by Dave1313; 08-11-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    -Dave

Is Primeval Whirl like Goofy's Sky School at Disneyland?

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Sorta. It's a wild mouse type ride, but with the addition of spinning of the cars as they go round the track. It's kinda like a wild mouse and a tilt-a-whirl.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Sorta. It's a wild mouse type ride, but with the addition of spinning of the cars as they go round the track. It's kinda like a wild mouse and a tilt-a-whirl.
    Can you ride without spinning them?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Can you ride without spinning them?
    No. You basically have no control over the spin. You can see it from outside the queue if you really need to see how much movement there is. I do NOT recommend it right after a big meal. You'll notice it has a fairly tall height requirement, which gives you an idea that the forces can be significant. (And I call it Primeval Hurl at times, jokingly.)
    Cathy

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Your list and mine are almost exactly the same. The difference is that I'd put Space Mountain down a peg, solely because it's gotten so rough over the past 5 years or so that it now just beats the crap out of me. Everest is by far my favorite coaster anywhere, and I usually do 3 or 4 rides in a row!
    I was thinking the same thing as Dan even after the refurbishment Space Mountain just beats the crap out of you. Now if it was the Disneyland Space Mountain I would put it number one.

My list:
    Tied #4 & 5 Primeval Whirl and Space Mountain
    #3 Big Thunder Mountain
    Tied #1 & 2 Aerosmith and Everest
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as Dan even after the refurbishment Space Mountain just beats the crap out of you. Now if it was the Disneyland Space Mountain I would put it number one.

My list:
    Tied #4 & 5 Primeval Whirl and Space Mountain
    #3 Big Thunder Mountain
    Tied #1 & 2 Aerosmith and Everest
    The updated space mountain at Disneyland is an A+ ride. Did the one at Walt Disney World not get updated too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    The updated space mountain at Disneyland is an A+ ride. Did the one at Walt Disney World not get updated too?
    I don't think They replaced the entire track and supports at WDW. Plus, I'm not sure of the construction of DL Space, but WDW space is tubular, like DL's Matterhorn.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I don't think They replaced the entire track and supports at WDW. Plus, I'm not sure of the construction of DL Space, but WDW space is tubular, like DL's Matterhorn.
    A couple of years ago Disneyland's space mountain track was gutted. They re worked the whole coaster. The new one runs a different layout. It is so smooth it is great. You really feel like you are zooming through space. A real improvement over what it used to be.

I wish Matterhorn could have a similar redo

Blog Entries

I agree, the first time I rode DL's space after the redo, it was soooooo smoooooth! WDW's version just beats me up! It is RARE that I don't have bruises after I ride it.

Cathy

I wonder if it's an East Coast / West Coast thing, but I really dislike Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom. In fact we used to not even go it before they recently redid it.
    Space Mountain at Disneyland is just such a better ride. That said

5 - Privmevil Whirl
    4 - Space Mountain
    3 - Thunder Mountain
    Tied for 1/2 - Rock n Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest.

Now if you are talking a "nighttime experience" then Everest edges out Rock n Roller Coaster.

------------------------------------------
    The Entrapment: A thrilling, escape room experience
    http://www.theentrapment.com