Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Korkis Korner: Taking a Trip on Star Tours

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Korkis Korner: Taking a Trip on Star Tours

Taking a Trip on Star Tours by Jim Korkis

Jim checks out the new adventures in a galaxy far, far away.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Really good article; very much enjoyed reading that. I am curious about one thing though: why the need to reset the ride during the transmission? What's it doing that the original Star Tours didn't that necessitated a reboot?

Great article. Jim, I always enjoy your articles, but this may be my favorite. So many details and clarifications on a ride that I thought I knew quite a bit about. Keep up the great work, I wait with eager anticipation for your article each week. BTW, I always thought the luggage droid was voiced by Patrick Warburton as well. Thanks for correcting me.

Quote Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post
    Really good article; very much enjoyed reading that. I am curious about one thing though: why the need to reset the ride during the transmission? What's it doing that the original Star Tours didn't that necessitated a reboot?
    The original ride did have a similar reset period. During the period where you are caught in the tractor beam and talking to the X-wing pilot the motion base is essentially stationary.

That said, the new ride may need a little longer because the various options for the first half might leave the simulator in different positions (for example, if there is more "up" movement than "down" movement, the cabin might be higher at the end than where it started), and the hologram gives the ride a chance to gently return to where it needs to be to start the second half. However, I would guess that allowing the mechanics to cool off and the hydraulic accumulators to recharge is probably a bigger issue.

I'm a big fan of voice talent. I discovered on my own that the scanner droid sounded a lot like Patrick Warburton, even though the pitch was shifted quite a bit higher. There's just something about his mannerisms that gave it away. Very fun to read that it really was him!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Patrick Warburton

Quote Originally Posted by red chicken View Post
    Great article. Jim, I always enjoy your articles, but this may be my favorite. So many details and clarifications on a ride that I thought I knew quite a bit about. Keep up the great work, I wait with eager anticipation for your article each week. BTW, I always thought the luggage droid was voiced by Patrick Warburton as well. Thanks for correcting me.
    I am a HUGE Patrick Warburton fan and the guy seems to be everywhere from live television to a voice on FAMILY GUY to all those different versions of Kronk from EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE. Besides the droid, Warburton also does the voice of ACE the top droid pilot. Originally, ACE was going to be the pilot and Warburton recorded a whole script in his distinctive "hero" voice. Did I mention I loved Warburton's portrayal of the live action hero THE TICK?

"We tried to do something 180 degrees from Rex," said Tom Fitzgerald. "So we came up with AC 38 or ACE who's a little cocky--a Top Gun type. But it was clear that George (Lucas) wanted something more along the lines of Rex's personality: high strung ,nervous, a bit out of control. We were trying to come up wiht a new character when a light bulb went off while I was driving to work. I told the team we didn't have to design a new character because one already existed--C 3PO!"

Since Imagineering loved Warburton's version of ACE, he was used for the brief dialog that ACE now has before C 3PO takes over. So Warburton does supply two voices in the attraction and while I am a fan of the new version of STAR TOURS, I would have loved to have heard that original Warburton recording.

AND, thanks as always for your kind words. A writer sometimes has no idea whether what he is writing is being enjoyed by his readers.

I had no idea Patrick did ACE as well. Gotta listen closely for that next time!

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I had no idea Patrick did ACE as well. Gotta listen closely for that next time!

Actually Jim and danyoung, Patrick Warburton is not the voice of Ace in the final attraction. At the D23 Expo Star Tours presentation last year Tom Fitzgerald stated that when it was decided to make C3-PO the pilot, they did not want to use Patrick for the small role that ACE became, so they offered him the role of G2-4T. There are videos of the presentation on Youtube to verify this.

So, in the final version of the attraction, Patrick Warburton is only the voice of G2-4T.

I do love what Fitzgerald said about Warburton "That guy could read the phone book and you'd be in stitches!"

Very interesting. I picked up on Patrick's vocal mannerisms with the G2 droid, even though with pitch shift it didn't sound anything like him. But I never got that hit off of Ace. Now we know why.

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfanguy View Post
    Actually Jim and danyoung, Patrick Warburton is not the voice of Ace in the final attraction. At the D23 Expo Star Tours presentation last year Tom Fitzgerald stated that when it was decided to make C3-PO the pilot, they did not want to use Patrick for the small role that ACE became, so they offered him the role of G2-4T. There are videos of the presentation on Youtube to verify this.

So, in the final version of the attraction, Patrick Warburton is only the voice of G2-4T.

I do love what Fitzgerald said about Warburton "That guy could read the phone book and you'd be in stitches!"
    Thanks for the correction. It is important to have accurae information out there so I have no problem being corrected. Nobody can know everything. My source for the information on Warburton is usually very reliable in these things but even he can't know everything. Disney's middle name is change so things can happen at any minute and people drop out of the loop. At least I was right that he did do the track when they were planning for ACE as the pilot originally.

For me, one of the exciting things about doing these columns is finding out new information and correcting faulty assumptions that I had. However, I do research these columns pretty deeply before I put anything in print so my batting average is still pretty good.