Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Hotel Room Away From Home

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Hotel Room Away From Home

Hotel Room Away From Home by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares tips and tricks for families living out of a hotel room on vacation.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I received an e-mail response from reader Pamela:

This discussion really hit at the heart of our wonderful vacation (2011) and our so-so vacation (2013). In 2011 we splurged and along with a good deal, stayed at the Polynesian Resort. Along with the many enjoyable emneties the resort has to offer, (not to mention the monorail access)we were really content in the room. There was plenty of drawer space for each of us, closet space to tuck away suitcases and purchases, shelf space for food, a refrigerator and coffee maker and plenty of shelf space in the bathroom. The four of us fit comfortable in that room. Fast-forward two years later. We were heading to Disney on a tighter budget and booked Art of Animation Little Mermaid standand rooms. While the girls loved the theming, I was sorely disappointed and to be honest, it truly impacted our trip. The room was very small and we just didn't have enough space. The beds were full size and we seemed to be not able to sleep as comfortably. There were only three small drawers, an
    d so I stacked my clothes on the shelf in the bathroom. There was no convenient place for suitcases and "stuff" that you need to tuck away. There was no coffee maker and so we hiked for coffee each morning. We had quite a walk, with no shade to the food court and bus stop. We couldn't get a cell phone signal in our room. (sigh). In looking for a happy medium for our next trip, I am disappointed to see three drawers are the standard at the moderate resorts as well. A family of four is typically going to benefit from four nice-sized drawers. The time-saving tips: being able to organize your room and not waste time looking for things each day, along with the proximity of your room and hotel to your favorite places can make or break your family time, especially with little ones. I hate to think that Disney is making it so that families feel compelled to stay at Deluxes, but is that what it comes down to at this point? And I also agree about the balcony - it's a great respite for tired parents.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can really appreciate Pamela's comments.
    As someone who has stayed multiple times at each "level" of resort, and as a self-proclaimed hotel snob, I can say that when you pay more you should get more. And I think at Disney, you do. But to be fair, (ie: none of this is directed at Pamela, but stated for general conversation) this sort of thing also happens at non-Disney hotels everywhere. Higher priced chains do tend to have larger rooms, more space to unpack, and additional room features. Lower priced chains tend to reflect the same features as a value resort. (This coming from someone who travels a lot.)

I think if more people understand this as a part of their planning process, proper expectations can be set in order to help avoid hotel room remorse.

Regardless, organization is a huge key in trying to make the most out of the limited space in a resort room. In fact, one of the things that we will do to help reduce the amount of luggage we carry is to do laundry during out stay. I know - that sounds so anti-vacation, but we do it sometime during the middle of our stay, during some pool time or after hours. Its really not a hindrance and it keeps the room smelling fresh as well. (This is especially important during the hotter summer months! )

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    I can really appreciate Pamela's comments.
    As someone who has stayed multiple times at each "level" of resort, and as a self-proclaimed hotel snob, I can say that when you pay more you should get more. And I think at Disney, you do. But to be fair, (ie: none of this is directed at Pamela, but stated for general conversation) this sort of thing also happens at non-Disney hotels everywhere. Higher priced chains do tend to have larger rooms, more space to unpack, and additional room features. Lower priced chains tend to reflect the same features as a value resort. (This coming from someone who travels a lot.)
    At Disneyland, I've found that you can get plenty of drawer space at the off-site motels in the area - but it's hit and miss. One year for Tinker Bell, I stayed at a new-to-me off-site property and I couldn't handle the lack of dresser space - they had an amoire but no drawers and I also rely on dresser space to give me "table space". I know that this hotel is renovating rooms so I'm choosing not to name it.

I've stayed at other properties, all in the same price point and even within a property, some rooms can be more comfortable than others as far as counter-top and dresser space.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

One trick we've learned (recommended for a cruise, but works great in hotel rooms too) is to bring a clear vinyl over-the-door shoe organizer. I usually put it on the outside of the door leading to the commode. Since there is often a sink/vanity area out side the shower/toilet room, it can really help with getting ready in crowded spaces. I usually unpack all shared toiletries into it (toothpaste, sunscreen, band aids, etc.). Plus, its a great spot to keep personal stuff (contact solution, retainers in cases...yes, I've got teens...)off the counters so that housekeeping can actually wipe them down. Empty, it folds up quite flat and packs easily even into a carry on.

Also, we usually bring large, kitchen sized trash bags for dirty laundry, which we keep in those stored suit cases in the closet.

For laundry, I pack a popup hamper. Dollar Tree usually has them, they fold flat and takeup very little room in the suitcase.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    For laundry, I pack a popup hamper. Dollar Tree usually has them, they fold flat and takeup very little room in the suitcase.
    Same here... that and several of the Tide "pods" detergent in a plastic bag.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Pillowcases from home are kind of a must for us. The kids sleep better. I'm not dragging along pillows - but pillowcases? Nice and small.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie2009 View Post
    Pillowcases from home are kind of a must for us. The kids sleep better. I'm not dragging along pillows - but pillowcases? Nice and small.
    I would never travel anywhere without my own pillow case! I used to do this for all of us but my now teenage son scoffs at me and when he started DH admitted he thought it unnecessary too. Fine. Me and my daughter remain home pillow case travellers

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    I would never travel anywhere without my own pillow case! I used to do this for all of us but my now teenage son scoffs at me and when he started DH admitted he thought it unnecessary too. Fine. Me and my daughter remain home pillow case travellers
    Interesting on the pillowcases. How do you prevent housekeeping from taking them with the regular linen changes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    Interesting on the pillowcases. How do you prevent housekeeping from taking them with the regular linen changes?
    My daughter brings her own pillow, and she has it in a red case usually.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

My dad had a maid change his cream colored pillow case, on his own pillow, once. Took awhile for them to track it down through the laundry service.
    Mine aren't white. Or even close because of this. I travel with my own pillows.

For us, hotel rooms have always just been a place to keep your stuff and sleep. We don't need anything fancy so we tend to always just go with places that can really fit us all in. And have a second bathroom...that's important. The more willing a hotel is to guarantee adjoining rooms, the more likely we are to stay. We have noticed that several hotels now offer guaranteed adjoining rooms and call them suites which is a big plus for us.

We also pack all the boys clothes in gallon sized plastic bags (one outfit per day) to help keep the room organized. Withe all of their clothes being so close in size, it is a huge time saver. Plus everything is color coded. Toothbrushes, little sharpie marks in clothes and socks, retainers...everything. Each boy has a color and knows that anything that color is his.

We use the pop up hampers too. Those are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    I take them off every morning and put the room ones back on.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)