Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Nursing in the Parks

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Nursing in the Parks

Nursing in the Parks by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel offers suggestions for feeding infants in Disney theme parks.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I nursed my youngest son at the Tomorrowland Terrace... at the tables near the Matterhorn. Also, the Hungry Bear is a nice place to rest and nurse the baby, especially up top along the deck behind the restaurant.

Churros anyone??

Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?

Also, if you need to pump at DL you can store your pump at the first aid station next to the baby care center.

Love those ladies at the baby care building, they were all so sweet!

Keep Moving Forward!

I nursed in the Tiki Room and maybe even on POTC. It's dark, I was in the back, and it was my 3rd baby so I was a pro at that point. I also think I nursed in the animation building.

So much to add to this section!

My son was super easy. He quit nursing (probably too early) and switched to room temperature bottles. We could start the day with a few bottles pre-filled with water, add pre-measured formula as needed, and feed on the go. Even though we knew better, it was easy to assume that all kids were that easy. We wondered why other parents seemed so fussed.

Then we had our daughter. She nursed for much longer and was very opinionated about how she wanted to be fed. I distinctly remember a time when she was hungry but rejected the bottle because the temperature wasn't to her liking. My sister (who had three kids of her own) was astonished that after we warmed it up even more she sucked it down like there was no tomorrow. Even if the bottle was warm, if it wasn't warm enough she wanted nothing to do with it. We visited the baby center a lot more with her, using their microwave to get the just right temperatures.

With a sling and a baby wrap I was willing to nurse anywhere, even when walking. And when she fell asleep I would leave her there covered so really no one needed to know if she was sleeping or nursing. The only time I recall it really coming up was at the baggage check when a (male) CM asked, very timidly, if I had a child under the cover.

My favorite Disneyland attraction which hasn't been mentioned yet is the alternate viewing for the Nemo Subs. Only once or twice has another party joined our group so most of the time it was just our family, in the relative dark, for 15 minutes of air conditioned nursing, with my husband and son next to us and all of us with something to watch on the screen to keep us entertained. This was my absolute favorite location, even over the baby center - because only moms are allowed in there and there is nothing to do (though I did really like the rockers).

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    This was my absolute favorite location, even over the baby center - because only moms are allowed in there and there is nothing to do (though I did really like the rockers).
    I nursed three babies at Disneyland and each nursed for 13 months or so. I nursed in the Baby Care Center exactly ONCE. I hated it. I hated being alone. I had plenty of alone time to bond with my babies when we weren't at Disneyland. When I was at Disneyland, I wanted to be WITH my family and friends, not stuck alone in a dark corner of Baby Care Center.

It's great for people who need that atmosphere. But I hated it.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

My favorite Disneyland attraction which hasn't been mentioned yet is the alternate viewing for the Nemo Subs. Only once or twice has another party joined our group so most of the time it was just our family, in the relative dark, for 15 minutes of air conditioned nursing, with my husband and son next to us and all of us with something to watch on the screen to keep us entertained. This was my absolute favorite location, even over the baby center - because only moms are allowed in there and there is nothing to do (though I did really like the rockers).
    That is a great idea! Hopefully my daughter will be weaned by the time we go to Disneyland again but if not I will have to remember that one.

And I do agree Baby Care isn't that exciting, but I came to prefer it just because it was a known quantity... I knew I could get my squirmy distracted baby fed quickly without flashing the world 8 times.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    I nursed three babies at Disneyland and each nursed for 13 months or so. I nursed in the Baby Care Center exactly ONCE. I hated it. I hated being alone. I had plenty of alone time to bond with my babies when we weren't at Disneyland. When I was at Disneyland, I wanted to be WITH my family and friends, not stuck alone in a dark corner of Baby Care Center.

Yep. The only time I've been in there was to change my son and let my DD use the toddler potties at the same time. Also, if we hadn't been sitting right outside eating corn dogs at the time I probably wouldn't have gone in there in the first place.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post

I'm pretty sure that I only used the nursing part of the baby center once also. It wasn't for me, though I'm very glad it exists for those who need it.

Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    And I do agree Baby Care isn't that exciting, but I came to prefer it just because it was a known quantity... I knew I could get my squirmy distracted baby fed quickly without flashing the world 8 times.
    This is what Baby covers are for. When my sister bought me a "hooter hider" I wasn't sure what to make of it. But after two kids I came to the opinion that if while using it I still accidentally flashed someone - it was their problem.

I only liked nursing in the baby center when it was really hot outside and once my son got older. It was also nice when I knew he was ready for a nap, it was easier for him to fall asleep in there while nursing. I loved the changing tables in there though.

Nichole

This is what Baby covers are for. When my sister bought me a "hooter hider" I wasn't sure what to make of it. But after two kids I came to the opinion that if while using it I still accidentally flashed someone - it was their problem.
    I have one and loved it up until my daughter was around 8 months old and started fighting it every time I used it. Now I only use it when I don't have a good other option, like on the airplane. Totally agree that if someone is still offended, they are looking to get offended and really need a better hobby.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Totally agree that if someone is still offended, they are looking to get offended and really need a better hobby.
    As a non-Mom, I totally agree with this!!

I even told the mother of the 4 month old sitting next to me on the plane that she didn't need to use the light blanket she had for my benefit.
    Cathy

Disney Addict

I liked nursing on the trains. It was a long enough ride that I could nurse and let them sleep for a bit, and I was still able to be on something that moved .

I always used a cover, but my theory is, "If you are looking, then it's a free show."

Jennifer

I didn't use a cover. The baby and my clothing covered everything. And I was good at starting/stopping without flashing anyone. I did nurse on BART but not every ride. The kids were usually too entertained or asleep to want to eat.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

I wanted to contribute to this thread from the viewpoint of a single mid-50's guy (not that I'm typical or anything). I'm one of those who intellectually knows that it's healthy and natural and blah-blah-blah. Yet at the same time I'm very uncomfortable with a mom who whips one out near me, even when it's covered up. I know I should be in support of the beautiful and natural and necessary thing, but the reality still freaks me out a bit. I was sitting in the audience at the Finding Nemo musical a few months ago, when a mom right next to me started feeding her child. Sorry to be such a neanderthal, but it really ruined the show for me. I'm not at all saying that I was right and she was wrong - I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

So all I'm really saying is that you moms might want to be a bit cautious - not everyone out there can experience this like an adult should.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I was sitting in the audience at the Finding Nemo musical a few months ago, when a mom right next to me started feeding her child. Sorry to be such a neanderthal, but it really ruined the show for me. I'm not at all saying that I was right and she was wrong - I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

So all I'm really saying is that you moms might want to be a bit cautious - not everyone out there can experience this like an adult should.
    Just to be fair, you had a choice - you didn't have to stay and watch the show with the mom sitting next to you feeding a child: You could've left. And I'm not at all saying that you were right or wrong to feel the way you did - but you did have a choice, too.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Yet at the same time I'm very uncomfortable with a mom who whips one out near me, even when it's covered up.
    Maybe if you tried to stop viewing it as "whipping one out" when a mother is just trying to feed her child, that might make a difference in you being uncomfortable with "it".

I was sitting in the audience at the Finding Nemo musical a few months ago, when a mom right next to me started feeding her child. Sorry to be such a neanderthal, but it really ruined the show for me.
    I have to say that I'm really amazed at this. I've had shows ruined for me because someone is being loud or obnoxious or something else like that, but simply because a woman is breastfeeding? Wow.

Here's my advice to the moms out there - keep feeding your child no matter how many neanderthals are in your vicinity.

I always laugh when people say they don't want to see even a glimpse of a woman's breast if she's breastfeeding. Here's a hint - if you don't want to see her breast - STOP STARING AT HER BREAST.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    MayI've had shows ruined for me because someone is being loud or obnoxious or something else like that, but simply because a woman is breastfeeding? Wow.
    Yup - that's exactly what I'm saying. The entire situation became not about the show but about what was happening 2 feet to my left.

I always laugh when people say they don't want to see even a glimpse of a woman's breast if she's breastfeeding. Here's a hint - if you don't want to see her breast - STOP STARING AT HER BREAST.
    You don't seem to get it. I'm not staring at anything. But I'm aware that the feeding is going on just a few feet away from me, and I'm not comfortable with it. Again, I'm not saying she was wrong in any way. But it's just a simple fact that there are those out there, myself included, who are not OK with breastfeeding happening just anywhere anytime. And I know I need to get over myself and deal with it. That doesn't change the fact that the situation bothered me.
    - James Taylor

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Breastfeeding is legally protected in both Florida and California. The wording of both laws is nearly identical in the legislation of both states:

"A mother may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the mother and the child are otherwise authorized to be present (California Civil Code 43.3)"

"A mother may breast feed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether or not the nipple of the mother’s breast is covered during or incidental to the breast feeding. (Fla. Stat. Ann. 383.015)"

I'm trying to think of why a mother would need to be cautious about doing something completely healthy, safe, and legal, because someone else might be bothered by it. It seems to me that the burden of removing oneself from the situation, or of "dealing with it" would be on the person who is uncomfortable.

Also just stating the reality of the situation.

Edited to add because you were posting as I was composing:

Which was it - was she right next to you or 2 feet to the left of you? Not that it changes anything - you can be uncomfortable about it. I'm uncomfortable with not being able to breastfeed anytime anywhere. Legally, my position is protected.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    The entire situation became not about the show but about what was happening 2 feet to my left.
    Unbelievable.

You don't seem to get it. I'm not staring at anything.
    Oh, I get it. That comment wasn't directed at your particular situation.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    But it's just a simple fact that there are those out there, myself included, who are not OK with breastfeeding happening just anywhere anytime. And I know I need to get over myself and deal with it. That doesn't change the fact that the situation bothered me.
    I would like to say I'm speechless. But the reality is I can't think of an allowable way to post the many things that went through my mind reading your post.

I guess I'll second "unbelievable." I'm pretty much terrified of small babies and all their related messy issues but even I know that in any decent society their needs come before mine. End of discussion.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ok. I'm back. I'll try to stay away longer next time but I have to add this part:

Finding Nemo Musical (forgive my foggy memory, it's been 3 years since I saw it,)

LOTS of singing.
    AMAZING costumes and puppetry.
    DANCING - not just on stage but in and among the audience.

Pretty much a Disney Musical Stage Spectacular.

And then 2 feet away is a mom sitting quietly nursing a child.

I'm really not seeing how it would be unreasonable to expect the show to be able to hold people's attention. Or how a mother should've presumed that sitting in her seat nursing a child would compete with THE FINDING NEMO MUSICAL for attention.

I mean, the whole health, safe, legal thing aside.

I'll just make one post without extensive quoting, as this is turning out to be just the way I thought it was going to be. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. I'm just stating my opinion and the facts of what happened and how I felt about it. Adrienne, 2 feet to my left was right next to me. I'm not sure what your point is here. She was seated to my left, with no one else in between.

I understand the legality of the situation, and I support it - really, I do. I'm simply trying to express the opinion that there may be some discomfort by some. In the example given it obviously wasn't a bad enough vibe to get me to get up and move, although maybe I should have if I was that uncomfortable. Perhaps my discomfort is caused by my being single in my mid-50's and rarely having been around a breastfeeding mom.

cstephens, sorry you find my statements unbelievable. I'm not trying to be confrontational or rude here - just expressing what I felt at the time. And again I'm not saying that the mom involved was wrong in any way. She was certainly protected by law. I just wanted to point out that breastfeeding is such a personal thing, and while the law says you can do it anywhere it may not always be best to do so.

- James Taylor

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    And again I'm not saying that the mom involved was wrong in any way.
    Nope, you haven't actually said it. But you certainly keep implying it.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    And again I'm not saying that the mom involved was wrong in any way. ----SNIP---- I just wanted to point out that ----SNIP---- it may not always be best to do so.
    I just want to point out that your statement is wrong and I'm not going to pretend to imply otherwise.

Again, if you are uncomfortable with someone nursing a child, you are entirely welcome to leave the situation.

Why in the world should the MOM have to stop or leave because YOU are uncomfortable!?!?!?!??