Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Marathon Guide: Disneyland Half Marathon - What to Expect

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Marathon Guide: Disneyland Half Marathon - What to Expect

Disneyland Half Marathon - What to Expect by Stephanie Wien
    13.1 miles around Anaheim
    A brief overview of the expo, the course, and spectator areas to orient you for race weekend.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Great article!

Two comments on Miles 8 to 10:

First off, the part by the Santa Ana River is actually a public bike path. They cannot "close" this path to the public like they do the city streets. Last year as we hit this area, there was a group of bikers coming from the opposite direction. They were rather... uhm... unpleasant. I think the word I'm looking for is "pissy." We were a massive group of walkers and they were about 4 people on bikes and they were VERY unhappy that we were taking up so much room. At the time we thought they were crashing the course. I later found out the part that they cannot close this trail. (I do think that it would be terrific if there were some publicity ahead of the event to warn bikers that they'll be sharing their path for a few hours on Sunday, but even if they did, you know not everyone would see it...) Just be aware going down past the river, to keep an eye out for bikes. They barreled on through the crowd last year (while expressing their frustration verbally.)

The other thing: It's not just Boy Scouts in Angels Stadium- Girl Scouts are there, two, and all ages of scouting are represented. It's one of my favorite parts of the course.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Here's a question from someone going to DL on Sunday, but not participating or watching the marathon--how crazy are the streets going to be? I'm assuming that going to the Toy Story lot will be the best bet and avoid Mickey and Friends??

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Here's a question from someone going to DL on Sunday, but not participating or watching the marathon--how crazy are the streets going to be? I'm assuming that going to the Toy Story lot will be the best bet and avoid Mickey and Friends??
    It depends on what time you get there and what direction/streets you take, but Toy Story probably is a better choice, depending on what time you get there EXCEPT THAT The challenge is going to be getting the bus to the Esplanade. It would have to really cross the course to get to the Esplanade. This is the link to the course map. If you notice the intersections where Disney Way crosses streets between miles 11 and 12, and then again across Disneyland Drive at the Paradise Pier - those are at the end of the event and they do NOT stop runners for traffic. I don't know if they treat the course as a "stop" and then just rush traffic through between runners - because I'm usually too DONE by that point to be paying attention to anything but "Where the hell-o is the finish line!?!?!??" but I know they don't stop US for anything. So I'm not sure how the Toy Story Lot bus would get to the Esplanade from the Toy Story lot??

You might want to stick with Mickey & Friends, but just go past it and approach from the North instead of from the South?
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great article, Steph! I got tears of excitement for my DH and friends running this weekend (and maybe one or two from jealousy, too)! I can't wait for this weekend. Even being a spectator is amazing. I have so much respect for each runner who has dedicated themselves to the training required for this event!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are walking from a hotel on Harbor, through DTD to get to the start, there's a final 'real' bathroom in DTD that you can use. (Someone more familiar with DTD will have to give you the location - but it's on the left!)

And I agree on the warmup - it worked wonders for me a couple of years back. I'd been having shin issues that would work themselves out after a long warmup time - and the walk from HoJos stopped the problem from creeping up during the race.

And for anyone cheering people on (which is a TON of fun) - don't say "You're almost there" unless you're within yards of the finish line.

One last tip - for walkers, if you have your arms bent (which also helps prevent/minimize swelling in your hands), you look 'more active' in the action photos!

Have a great time, everyone. I'll be cheering from a couple thousand miles away!

Cathy