Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Star Wars Cantina will Become a Reality in Galaxy's Edge

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

The Star Wars Cantina will Become a Reality in Galaxy's Edge

The Star Wars Cantina will Become a Reality in Galaxy's Edge by Todd King

Disney gives new details on Oga's Cantina and I can't wait to visit the place we all loved to see from the original movie

Read it here!

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

It's a different cantina, on a different planet, with a different history. Why would you expect to see the same visitors to a cantina on Batuu as you saw in a cantina on Tatooine? And the story on Black Spire Outpost is some, what, 30+ years in the future from the events at the cantina on Tatooine? I've seen so many people say they hope the band and the iconic song is featured prominently in the new cantina, and I honestly can't understand that at all. It just seems lazy to me. This is a cantina with a different story. Let the new story play out. I'm ok with an "R2 and 3PO in the Well of Souls room in Raiders" kind of cameo, but that would be it.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

To me they already have a good model for this: The Hanger bar at Disney Springs. Set in the Indiana Jones-verse, with memorabilia, an interesting drink menu and some light food options. If it's going to be in the park as an attraction, then treat it as such.

The one thing that I hope does not happen is that it becomes a full service restaurant that nobody can get into spontaneously (think just about every restaurant at Epcot). If this thing has ADR involved, it's a failure in my book.

It's hard to get excited about this for one simple reason--virtually no one will experience anything like meandering through a shady cantina full of alien beings. If it has a bar feeling--and the artwork suggests it will try to--how many people will be able to sit at the bar? The thousands who come through Galaxy's Edge every day? Not a chance. Hundreds of them? If even dozens can fit in any proximity to the main bar space, I'll eat my hat. Take the seating of Hungry Bear and spread it around a bar. Are you going to have an intimate encounter with aliens in that kind of throng of people? Now realize that there are probably 5 or 10 thousand people right outside the door who feel like they should get the same intimate, atmosphere-heavy experience you're having. If they give it a capacity even 10 times that of the Cove Bar, it still won't meet demand and, by simple physics, can never offer the type of encounter Disney is advertising and people are hoping for. At least it can't except for a very, very few.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    To me they already have a good model for this: The Hanger bar at Disney Springs. Set in the Indiana Jones-verse, with memorabilia, an interesting drink menu and some light food options. If it's going to be in the park as an attraction, then treat it as such.

The one thing that I hope does not happen is that it becomes a full service restaurant that nobody can get into spontaneously (think just about every restaurant at Epcot). If this thing has ADR involved, it's a failure in my book.
    The Hangar bar sounds cool. I've seen people asking about ADR for the cantina, and I'm with you. I didn't get the impression that it was going to be a restaurant, but rather, a bar, with light appetizer-type food.

Quote Originally Posted by MonoAutoRail View Post
    It's hard to get excited about this for one simple reason--virtually no one will experience anything like meandering through a shady cantina full of alien beings. If it has a bar feeling--and the artwork suggests it will try to--how many people will be able to sit at the bar? The thousands who come through Galaxy's Edge every day?
    That's been my concern about the entire land. It's supposed to be a fully interactive experience, like you're actually in that location. If that location was real, I wouldn't expect it to be packed. I was there on opening day of Radiator Springs, and it was wall-to-wall people. I can't imagine that Black Spire Outpost will be any less popular. I've wondered about controlling entry into the land, but there's no mechanism for making people leave, and until people leave, more people can't be let in. Hoping they've already thought about how to handle all this.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    It's a different cantina, on a different planet, with a different history. Why would you expect to see the same visitors to a cantina on Batuu as you saw in a cantina on Tatooine? And the story on Black Spire Outpost is some, what, 30+ years in the future from the events at the cantina on Tatooine? I've seen so many people say they hope the band and the iconic song is featured prominently in the new cantina, and I honestly can't understand that at all. It just seems lazy to me. This is a cantina with a different story. Let the new story play out. I'm ok with an "R2 and 3PO in the Well of Souls room in Raiders" kind of cameo, but that would be it.
    Very true. I wasn't thinking about the new setting, I was fanboying and just putting Star Wars and Cantina together and not going beyond the first film. It's that nostalgia thing that makes me hope for a nod or two to the original cantina--I think some fans might expect that. Whether they do that or not won't take away from the experience.
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

Quote Originally Posted by MonoAutoRail View Post
    It's hard to get excited about this for one simple reason--virtually no one will experience anything like meandering through a shady cantina full of alien beings. If it has a bar feeling--and the artwork suggests it will try to--how many people will be able to sit at the bar? The thousands who come through Galaxy's Edge every day? Not a chance. Hundreds of them? If even dozens can fit in any proximity to the main bar space, I'll eat my hat. Take the seating of Hungry Bear and spread it around a bar. Are you going to have an intimate encounter with aliens in that kind of throng of people? Now realize that there are probably 5 or 10 thousand people right outside the door who feel like they should get the same intimate, atmosphere-heavy experience you're having. If they give it a capacity even 10 times that of the Cove Bar, it still won't meet demand and, by simple physics, can never offer the type of encounter Disney is advertising and people are hoping for. At least it can't except for a very, very few.
    You and cstephens are both right. I really don't know how they will handle this. For all the interactivity they're touting, how will that be possible with floods of people? As for the Cantina, I wonder if it would be something akin to Be Our Guest where the entrance is themed with authentic-looking decor and you enter an area to place your order (interactive screens), also themed with characters, and there you pick your food, seats, as well as your experience (there may only be a certain number of spots of those per day) like meet a pilot or bounty hunter, pay for it all, then finally enter the Cantina, get your table (or the bar if you chose it), then you're in the thing. I'm not sure if that would work here (Beast's ballroom is quite huge to accommodate the crowds). Maybe dinner would be a bigger experience, too. Maybe there will be two Cantina locations. Maybe they can "plus" this idea to handle the deluge of guests better--they certainly don't want this to be a negative experience. I agree, too, that there seems to be "no mechanism for making people leave" as cstephens said, and that's a problem they're hopefully thinking through, too.

My optimistic view thinks they'll have it worked out. My pessimistic view thinks none of it will work right until crowds settle down--and how long for that? 2-3 years?
    ~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

There is no way they can do this fully interactive experience thing they claim. How are the characters going to be able to interact with everybody. What is the technology that is going to be able to keep track? I know the magic bands keep track of where you are in the park, but how is it actually going to work with a character pulling out his iPad and scanning me? Before the opening of Toy Story Land and Galaxy's edge, DHS would see on average 30,000 people a day. With half the park new you can easily expect that number to increase. You would need hundreds of inter-actors wandering around to engage with any significant number of people.

Lets use 50 actors on stage at any given time, from the moment the park opens to the time it closes (on average 12 hours). At $15 per hour which is what Disney has agreed to start hourly employees at, you're looking at more than $3.3M annually just to have people walking around, talking to guests and providing atmosphere. Now if you're Disney you have to evaluate, what's actually the driver of the crowds? Obviously the answer is the chance to fly the Millennium Falcon and be in a battle onboard a star destroyer... it's not going to be the guy saying "You'll be in trouble with the bounty hunters for crashing the Falcon." So that number is going to drop, until it becomes just a handful, the same as it was with the Citizens of Hollywood. Now you're not being fully immersive and a good chunk of guests just aren't going to interact at all.

These are all interesting points. I admit I have to read the whole article more thoroughly, but here's a thought or 2 based on the above comments:

1) Re: the Cantina capacity. Obviously the Cantina will be very popular, as discussed above. I wonder if linking it (as a subset, not a one for one) to a FP+ for one of the other rides would be a good way to promote people leaving after a short period of time. Example, you have a FP+ for one of the other rides at 2 PM. Some subset of all those people who have a FP+ for the 2 main rides at that time obtain a FP+ for the Cantina (for a shorter window than a ride) starting some set amount of time before the FP+ window for the ride opens (let's say 15 minutes, so 1:45-2:15 PM - with an hour window for a ride FP+ entry, this would allow you somewhere between 15 minutes and 45 minutes pretty safely to still be sure you will make it into the ride FP+ queue - though it's To Be Determined how long a FP+ line would be to impact this assumption). You will be darn sure to get out of the Cantina in time to not miss your FP+ for the main attractions (at least I would, no matter how cool the Cantina is, this would cause me to "move along...' )

I have no idea how to fairly distribute these FP+ though. Random?

The above all assumes it is not fully a Table Service venue (or that there is some sort of combination - maybe table service, but can also have people wandering about? - that seems possibly problematic except for a few non-diners though - sort of how you can walk around in BoG, but you need to have been eating there with a reservation before you can do so). If it's full table service, it will just be a near impossible to get ADR that very few people will get to see.

2) Re the interactive stuff. The math above can't really be disputed, good points! I need to say I never considered that feature to be inclusive of all guests though. I would have considered it a random thing, sort of like being the Rebel Spy on Star Tours. Not every visitor gets that thrill either(or being "That Guy" at Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, etc).

I can easily see this ending up being heavily skewed towards guests staying at the SW Hotel once that is up and running though. With the price they will be charging, it's pretty much a guarantee (rightfully so for the money that will end up being spent) they will have to hit everyone staying there with some level of the interaction they are touting. I also don't see the roaming CMs actually dealing with iPads to scan guests. I suspect there would be backstage handlers dealing with the band scanning and then talking to the roaming characters. (If technically possible, I suspect not the kind of band reading where you need to touch it to an iPad or reader, but the type where you get a ride photo without having to scan your band at a screen or kiosk - like SDMT). The roaming CM can then just be told: "Hey the guy in the red shirt and blue shorts with a Yankees hat just crashed the Falcon" or "The lady in the gold Minnie Ears and white handbag just scored the best for the day", etc.

-Dave

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwin View Post
    I agree, too, that there seems to be "no mechanism for making people leave" as cstephens said, and that's a problem they're hopefully thinking through, too.
    At last year's D23 Expo where they had the giant model of Galaxy's Edge, they also had Imagineers around to answer questions, and I asked about how they'd get people to leave. He said he didn't think that would be an issue for most people, and it's honestly something I'd never considered. But in thinking about it further, while there are some of us who would be happy to spend all day there, most people will likely want to look around and then go on to do something else. I know I've been in other situations (other theme parks and such) where I've hung around one place for hours while most people just stay 5 minutes. He also mentioned that they're coming up with ways to encourage people to leave. I'm wondering if that's having to do with stormtroopers or bounty hunters and such. That might be hard to manage on a large scale, and then there's the issue if you're with a large group, how to get everyone to leave. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    I know the magic bands keep track of where you are in the park, but how is it actually going to work with a character pulling out his iPad and scanning me?
    Magic bands would only be an issue at DHS, but it doesn't factor into Disneyland. I'm wondering how it's going to work. They've said that you establish a reputation there, that how you do in the Falcon attraction can affect how residents react to you. And not everyone is going to want to carry around a reputation. I was thinking they could do some kind of card that would identify you and your accomplishments and such. But then, I'm not sure that an ID card fits into the theme of a remote outpost, but maybe they could come up with something like that which would make sense thematically.