Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Children Visiting Disneyland for the First Time

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Children Visiting Disneyland for the First Time

Children Visiting Disneyland for the First Time by Adrienne Krock

Panelist Mary Kraemer offers advice for a first-time trip, while the Parenting Panel shares their top 3 must-do activities

Read it here!

2. # ADS

This really isn't a very useful column -- there are different "must-do" lists for different ages of children, as well as for children of different interests.

If you child is under the age of three, then things like Space Mountain and Indiana Jones are completely out of the question, and even Pirates of the Caribbean can be too intense for some little ones. If your child's first visit is at age five, then you'll have an entirely different set of "must-do" activities than if your child is 10.

The best advice for a child's first visit to a Disney park is to plan ahead -- look at park maps, talk about the attractions, and explain how things work to the child. Then let the child make some of the decisions about things they want to see and do.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I'd start with Small World as a first 'inside ride' before even Peter Pan to judge your young child's reaction - though it's tempting to do Pan first because of the way the line builds through the day.

Cathy

While you are correct in saying that the child's needs should be the focus, the column does a disservice by giving us a Top 3 Musts. This doesn't exist for any child in general. And it is misleading to say a child would like to see Pirates that has lots of adult content, and Fantasmic when it is usually past their bedtime and takes lots of planning to arrange a showing (food, blanket, etc.). It just doesn't work out according to high expectations.

Disneyland should not be treated as a once in a lifetime event. It is clearly a learning experience. Children are in it for the long haul (regular visits) and they are best serviced with short and tight schedules and plenty of breaks for rest and refreshments.

"There’s plenty for a young child to enjoy at Disneyland"

"Being at Disneyland is really exciting for a young child"

Come on. The parents are more excited than the child. This will not end up well.

What to do with your child on their first visit is entirely dependent on the child. Every kid is different. My son's first visit was when he was 6 and our first day at Disneyland was terrible. He hated it. He would not go on any ride. I got him on one dark ride and he screamed the entire time. He cried and was miserable the entire day. The next day started out even worst. My wife and I thought we made a huge mistake taking him. Then he started to climb some rocks near tomorrowland, and for the first time started to smile and have fun. I took him directly to Tom Sawyer Island and he had the time of his life. Turns out he did not understand the idea of waiting in line for a ride that was passive entertainment. I finally got him to ride Buzz and he loved that since he was interacting with it. My daughter on the other hand went on every ride starting at the age of 1, and loved sitting and watching on the rides.

Blog Entries

My granddaughter is 2 and LOVES Fantasmic! It really is a must do for her. She started going to Disneyland at 5 mos. Every child is different. Every child will have their likes and dislikes. Heiress loves Fantasmic!, Monster's Inc (Monster ride!), and Mickey's Death Wheel. She hasn't not liked anything we have taken her on. She loves the shows, especially Playhouse Disney adn Dancing with Disney. And while she didn't score a point, she likes TSMM also...

There is plenty for a young child to see and do, but the parents do need to be prepared to set the pace to the child.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    My granddaughter is 2 and LOVES Fantasmic! It really is a must do for her. She started going to Disneyland at 5 mos. Every child is different. Every child will have their likes and dislikes. Heiress loves Fantasmic!, Monster's Inc (Monster ride!), and Mickey's Death Wheel. She hasn't not liked anything we have taken her on. She loves the shows, especially Playhouse Disney adn Dancing with Disney. And while she didn't score a point, she likes TSMM also...

There is plenty for a young child to see and do, but the parents do need to be prepared to set the pace to the child.
    Mickey's Death Wheel ? ! ? ! What Disney Park has that attraction ? I'm going to avoid that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    Mickey's Death Wheel ? ! ? ! What Disney Park has that attraction ? I'm going to avoid that one.
    Alternate (unofficial! ) name for Mickey's Fun Wheel at Disney California Adventure. It's a Wonder Wheel type Ferris Wheel where every other car moves along a track as the wheel spins.

Some suggest this is more scary than any other thrill ride in the Disney parks. (I'm not speaking from experience - the only time I went on I did the stationary cars on the perimeter that don't do any additional motion - probably more because the line was shorter than me knowing anything about the reputation at the time)
    -Dave

I think parents really need to know their kids. Every child is different. If your child is upset by lots of motion, pick slower moving attractions or stationary ones. If your child doesn't like being in the dark too much, then maybe avoid the dark rides. We tend to try to get our son to try something different on visits to the park, although at this point there isn't much he hasn't either done or decided not to do. Do not push your child to do rides if they are apprehensive about it to begin with...again know your child. For some children, it might just be that they come out of the attraction loving it..for other kids, they may either cry or be very upset about being on it. My son loves the firework shows, etc but the loud noises from the fireworks sometimes scares him. Fire effects scare him as well..so we try to watch from a little further away. He is nine and to this day, has never been on Haunted Mansion....he gets upset by loud noises and while I think he could handle the ride okay, the stretch room could cause a serious meltdown...so we don't push him to try it.

My nieces, ages 3 and 5, do not like most of the dark rides because they are so loud. But they love all the roller coasters! I think meeting characters is still their most favorite thing though. And they enjoy the parades. We haven't stayed late enough yet for any of the nighttime shows. But yeah, every kid is different. I thought, when I first took my older niece, that she would love rides like Alice and Pirates, but she hated them. However she completely loved Gadgets Go Coaster!

If it is too loud and not the darkness, talk to her about trying foam earplugs. They don't eliminate the sound, but they lessen it to a comfortable level. My youngest hated the vacuum, and ddn't like some of the rides. When we figured out they were too loud for her comfort, and started carrying the ear plugs she loved all the rides. Walmart carries them right with the ear/eye drops etc. DH has to have them per Osha for work so we are never without. At 11, fireworks are still too loud, but she is fine with the rides without them now. She digs them out when daddy fires up the chainsaw though.