Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Walt Disney World Resort Update

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Walt Disney World Resort Update

Walt Disney World Resort Update by Mark Goldhaber
    May 16 - May 22, 2011
    Star Tours soft-opens for sneak previews | Enchanted Tiki Room's New Management gets evicted | More news on New Fantasyland | 'Groping Donald' lawsuit settled | and more!

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Why on earth would you even need a gaming console when you're on a Disney cruise? The last place I'd want my kids to be is in the stateroom playing video games when I've paid to let them have the time of their lives on the ship and destinations! When I was a kid, the room meant baths and sleeping time to rest on Disney trips.

To me that's akin to the kids you see walking through the theme parks with their noses in their phones and handheld gaming systems and their ears plugged with iPods. Don't get me wrong, I have all of those things myself, but what's the point in taking the kids to the park if they're not going to notice half of their surroundings because you let them have video games and iPods in the park? My niece wasn't allowed to have her iPod in the parks when we took her a few years back and while she protested about it, she was just fine once she was actually there. Kids don't implode if they're "unplugged" for the day!

I hope that the new version of Star Tours at Disneyland is as good as the one at WDW sounds.

My first thought on reading about the gaming consoles on the ships was that even though I'd never let my kids bring one along and I think it's sorta lame that anyone would want to do so, I'm betting that there are quite a few kids who would freak out at spending a week or so without their beloved Nintendo, and that their parents would probably cave and let them bring it on with the hopes that they'd be too busy having fun to use it (WOW, that was a long sentence!).

Also, may I suggest Mark that you change the line later in the update that says that Tiki Room will return to its earlier classic version. As you stated in the body of the report, while the new version will be reminiscent of the earlier version, it's still yet to be determined exactly how it will take shape.

Thanks as always for the update!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I'm an avid gamer and I spend a fair amount of time playing games each week, but when it comes to a vacation I think it's ridiculous. You can play games at home, and you're on a vacation for the purpose of doing things that you cannot do at home, take full advantage of it. I feel the same goes for sports and movies, we have some relatives who went to Disney World and spent their entire sunday in the hotel room watching football. Again, you can watch the games at home, and get updates on the score on your cell phone. Skip the game and take advantage of your vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by IllusionOfLife View Post
    ...we have some relatives who went to Disney World and spent their entire sunday in the hotel room watching football.
    I was with you right up to your football comments. As much as I love a WDW trip, if there's any way I can find a Cowboys game while on vacation, I'll be planted there in front of the tube. Getting updates is just not the same as experiencing it as it happens.

So video games? No. Football? Gotta see my Cowboys!!!
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    So video games? No. Football? Gotta see my Cowboys!!!
    Missing one game isn't going to kill you

No, but missing a few hours of park storming isn't going to kill me either. It's all about what's most important to the individual. And to me a Cowboys game is far more important than any Disney park. Now, if someone was staying in to just watch an endless string of games regardless of who was playing, well I'd have a problem with that. But people are very devoted to their home teams, and football (or baseball or basketball or whatever) can become a very important part of their lives.

- James Taylor

Michael Gough voiced Zazu for Under New Management, not Rowan Atkinson. =)

Powers &8^]

"Groping Donald"

Instead of a settlement, that lady deserves a boot to the head. The list of ailments she reportedly suffered as a result makes it clear that this is a bunch of garbage.

Seriously, if Donald HAD intentially groped her (and admitted it and even tried to do it again), how does that result in "muscle contraction headaches" and "digestive problems" or any other of her ridiculous claims????? Makes me sick... (maybe I can sue MP for these digestive problems they just created... I might even have nightmares as a result...)