Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: A Sneak Peek at Pandora - The World of Avatar, the New Land at Animal Kingdom

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

A Sneak Peek at Pandora - The World of Avatar, the New Land at Animal Kingdom

A Sneak Peek at Pandora - The World of Avatar, the New Land at Animal Kingdom by Donald and Bonnie Fink

We take a look at Walt Disney World's new land, opening May 27

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Thank you for this sneak peek. I still cannot get over that Disney would do a land based on Avatar. WDW is the biggest shrine to American Consumerism on Earth yet Avatar was and is a complete slam against that.
    WDW is celebrating America and our glorious economy based on the American consumer and it is bizarre that they couldn't come up with a better movie to base a land on.
    The hypocrisy is impossible to get beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Thank you for this sneak peek. I still cannot get over that Disney would do a land based on Avatar. WDW is the biggest shrine to American Consumerism on Earth yet Avatar was and is a complete slam against that.
    WDW is celebrating America and our glorious economy based on the American consumer and it is bizarre that they couldn't come up with a better movie to base a land on.
    The hypocrisy is impossible to get beyond.
    I very much agree with you I'm also hoping that the Save the Planet message isn't beaten over our heads in this land as the author implies.
    "They must be putting something in the water," Springsteen said during the encore, "because Greensboro is consistently one of the best audiences in the United States. But I don't know why! Why?! Damn!" - Bruce Springsteen May 2, 2009 Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by bobaloo000 View Post
    I very much agree with you I'm also hoping that the Save the Planet message isn't beaten over our heads in this land as the author implies.
    Hate to break it to you, but the entire theme of Animal Kingdom park is about conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but the entire theme of Animal Kingdom park is about conservation.
    And how many tons of trash are carted away from Animal Kingdom every day? How many units of carbon based fuel used to power the park and power the vehicles that bring people to the park? And how much money does the Disney Corporation make off of consumers who created this trash and use this fuel? Not a lot of conserving going on here. And we would not have it any other way.

And how many tons of trash are carted away from Animal Kingdom every day? How many units of carbon based fuel used to power the park and power the vehicles that bring people to the park? And how much money does the Disney Corporation make off of consumers who created this trash and use this fuel? Not a lot of conserving going on here. And we would not have it any other way.
    Walt Disney World has a waste to energy facility on site. They have an aggressive goal to reduce waste to landfills by 60% by 2020. You can read about it on their website.

It never ceases to amaze me how creative and proficient the imagineers are. Once again it looks as though they've done a fantastic job. However, regardless of how special the place looks or how much fun the rides are, this land is a mistake.

Avatar, regardless of the amount of money it has made and will make, will NEVER achieve the iconic standing of Star Wars, Harry Potter, or even Lord of the Rings (which would have been a far better choice of subject matter for an addition such as this, IMHO). Once the hoopla over the sequels/prequels of Avatar fades, there will be nothing to support the long-term success of this idea. It is much better suited to Islands of Adventure than Disney.

it will take some time before Disney admits it, perhaps as long as it takes for them to triple the amount of money the addition cost, but in time this land will wither and eventually be repurposed, whereas Star Wars will endure for a much, much, much longer time if not forever.

I look forward visiting this section of the park, sampling some of the grub, and riding the rides, but I'm actually more excited about the Rivers of Light than Avatarland.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

"to the Banshee, humans are just food."

Echoes of crocodiles. Maybe they should avoid this analogy.

I'm looking forward to eating the Pandoran food that Banshees don't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    it will take some time before Disney admits it, perhaps as long as it takes for them to triple the amount of money the addition cost, but in time this land will wither and eventually be repurposed, whereas Star Wars will endure for a much, much, much longer time if not
    Disney World has four parks. Star Wars Land is coming. They have so many parks to fill, they won't revisit Avatar for decades. Avatar fits in Animal Kingdom. What should be fixed is DinoLand. Epcot is next on their list, then back to Magic Kingdom. Avatar is entirely appropriate as the Beast portion of the original park statement. And BTW, there's four sequels coming. What are the chances Disney will buy out Avatar?

Will never be iconic no matter how many sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Will never be iconic no matter how many sequels.
    And the Walt Disney Parks will always be a shrine to American and worldwide job creating consumerism. With all the pollution and waste that brings.

And the Walt Disney Parks will always be a shrine to American and worldwide job creating consumerism. With all the pollution and waste that brings.
    My opinion and your argument have nothing to do with one another, but thanks for playing.
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime