Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Yak & Yeti Restaurant Review - Adventurers Welcome

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

The Yak & Yeti Restaurant Review - Adventurers Welcome

The Yak & Yeti Restaurant Review - Adventurers Welcome by Roan Poulter

Roan and his family dine at the Yak & Yeti Restaurant in Disney's Animal Kingdom

Read it here!

2. # ADS

re: The Yak & Yeti

This was a great review. After passing it by on previous trips (and ignorantly referring to it as the Yakin' Yeti, a joke my kids thought was hilarious the first three times), my family finally got to try Yak and Yeti two trips ago thanks to a rainy day that kept attendance at AK low, and a sudden downpour that forced us to seek shelter. We were able to nab an upstairs table and I agree that the view is wonderful for people-watching. After that meal we've made it a policy to try and add a stop at Y&Y to all future trips. Our most recent trip this past April found us there again, this time with a reservation. We were able to get the same upstairs, corner table as the first time. The food is very good, with something for everyone from a 9-year-old wannabe chef, a 12-year-old vegetarian, to two middle-aged parents craving something a little more exotic than typical theme park fare. I especially love the atmosphere here. It's not a quiet, intimate place (the downstairs dining room seems like it could be really noisy at times), but the decor works so well that you're transported out of a bustling park for an hour or so.

I agree that the Landry's plug seems a bit wildly out of place. That might be due to the fact the restaurant is IN the park, as opposed to other Landry places like T-Rex and Rain Forest Cafe at Disney Springs where the overall environment isn't Disney-immersive.

Overall, as long as the cast and crew at the Yak and Yeti keep up the great work, we'll keep going back.

I enjoy eating at the Yak & Yeti. It's a great way to get some time off your feet in air-conditioning at a large, often hot park. I really liked the pho they served briefly, and am interested in trying the tikka masala. I'm glad they've diversified the menu items to include a wider variety of Asian cuisines.

Stopped there on my last trip to WDW, would definitely go again. My only complaint if any is that it's stuck all the way out at Animal Kingdom and not one of the trio that are closer to one another. Loved the food, the atmosphere was nice, even splurged and got a collectible cup for the heck of it.

A question I have for the reviewer(s) is if they've found the Yak & Yeti to be consistent over multiple meals and multiple dishes. The first time we ate there was when it first opened, and we enjoyed our meal very much. We then had two meals over two different trips that we didn't much enjoy; the food was bland and on the greasy side. We haven't eaten there since, which means it's been at least five years or more since the last time we ate there. I'd like to try it again, but I'm loathe to pay for a somewhat pricey meal if we're not sure we'll get a consistently good meal experience.

What, no mention of the world's best dessert known to man? If you go, you owe it to yourself, no wait, it is your responsibility, to order a slice of mango pie! It is not chunks of mango like an apple pie, but a sort of a flan-like structure (but not flan) on a perfect shortbread (I think) crust, topped with tiny pieces of mango and I think even a bit of cut up strawberries, and then drizzled with a delicious sauce. It is perfection. And every year I eat it I think that the last time I had it it was only an exaggerated memory and that it couldn't possibly be that good in reality, but every year I am proven wrong: it IS that good! Try it!

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Davidgra, on both occasions the quality and flavor of the food was very good. To be perfectly honest, without looking at a menu I can't quite recall what we had, but I know nobody in our party had any qualms with the quality. My youngest son is a bit of a food snob, and I'm particular about certain things. Like you, I hate to pay for less than what's promised. We found nothing to complain about either time. I wouldn't have hesitated to tell our server if anything was amiss. The staff at Y&Y is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyN View Post
    Davidgra, on both occasions the quality and flavor of the food was very good. To be perfectly honest, without looking at a menu I can't quite recall what we had, but I know nobody in our party had any qualms with the quality. My youngest son is a bit of a food snob, and I'm particular about certain things. Like you, I hate to pay for less than what's promised. We found nothing to complain about either time. I wouldn't have hesitated to tell our server if anything was amiss. The staff at Y&Y is fantastic.
    Thanks for the response. I think you've nailed part of the problem (and it's something I've experienced) -- the food isn't particularly memorable. I can remember exactly what I've eaten at so many WDW restaurants, but I couldn't tell you what we had at any of our three visits to the Yak & Yeti.

We might try it again someday, but we're more likely to want a meal at Jiko or Boma when we're in that vicinity of the property. THOSE are always memorable meals!