Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Year of the Dog is a Hit!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

The Year of the Dog is a Hit!

The Year of the Dog is a Hit! by Todd Pickering

Fantastic additions to Mulan's Lunar New Year at Disney California Adventure

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Nice detailed article for those who cannot make it and for those who want a preview of what to expect for entertainment, food, and merchandise! Appreciate the coverage. One comment on the food section of the article though: "His team worked on all the dishes diligently to recreate them authentically and were brave enough to invite his new Vietnamese friends and coaches back into the Disney test kitchens to sample their hard work. Most dishes were met with very positive reception but the Pho was a No Gho."

Pho is pronounced as "fa", not "fo" so the play on words with the "Pho was a No Gho" is a bit, uhhh, not funny.

Its not actually pronounced fa, its pronounced fuh.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgwacie View Post
    Pho is pronounced as "fa", not "fo" so the play on words with the "Pho was a No Gho" is a bit, uhhh, not funny.
    I thought it was funny, and I treated it as poetic license because a lot of people mispronounce it as it would seem to sound phonetically in English. I've seen a number of pho places play off the incorrect pronunciation in their business name. My favorites so far have been Unphogettable and 9021Pho.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I thought it was funny, and I treated it as poetic license because a lot of people mispronounce it as it would seem to sound phonetically in English. I've seen a number of pho places play off the incorrect pronunciation in their business name. My favorites so far have been Unphogettable and 9021Pho.
    That was indeed what I was going for with the BAD alliteration..... 9021Pho?....that. is. AMAZING. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgwacie View Post
    Nice detailed article for those who cannot make it and for those who want a preview of what to expect for entertainment, food, and merchandise! Appreciate the coverage. One comment on the food section of the article though: "His team worked on all the dishes diligently to recreate them authentically and were brave enough to invite his new Vietnamese friends and coaches back into the Disney test kitchens to sample their hard work. Most dishes were met with very positive reception but the Pho was a No Gho."

I figured I was ok to do that as lots of restaurants riff on the Long O pronunciation favored incorrectly by Americans. A bit obsessed with alliteration and accents but it wasn't intended to offend. Sorry if I did so.

Quote Originally Posted by indiejones33 View Post
    It’s not actually pronounced “fa,” its pronounced “fuh.”

Fantastic that folks are in the know. Thanks. I have worked in the restaurant industry and at Crabtree and EEEEEveleyn and pronunciation is always difficult. I am originally from Nebraska and chefs would NOT let me pronounce CarAmel incorrectly..... In Nebraska we say car-mel (as in Mel's Diner). That took me months to get right and now all my Nebraska friends make fun of me....you just can't win! Ha!