Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: That's My Opinion: The Seven Deadly Sins of Disney Vacation Planning

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: The Seven Deadly Sins of Disney Vacation Planning

The Seven Deadly Sins of Disney Vacation Planning by Steve Russo

Want to ruin a Walt Disney World vacation? Here's how.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I'd be curious to see how many people show up at the Magical Express desk who AREN'T staying on property and are expecting to be whisked away to their vacation home in Celebration. As always, I enjoy your articles, Steve. It always makes my day when I go on the MousePlanet site and there is a new article of yours waiting to be read and enjoyed. Cheers!

Mike Walter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalter View Post
    I'd be curious to see how many people show up at the Magical Express desk who AREN'T staying on property and are expecting to be whisked away to their vacation home in Celebration. As always, I enjoy your articles, Steve. It always makes my day when I go on the MousePlanet site and there is a new article of yours waiting to be read and enjoyed. Cheers!
    Awww. Thanks, Mike.
    Steve

If I can add to the deadly sins. This is something which has been discussed frequently here, but is worthwhile...

8. Booking the wrong vacation and not being realistic about what will happen. Some people are true park commandos- without small children, with plenty of energy to burn, and with no other desires but to ride every ride and see every exhibit. These people can truly do Disney in four full days, getting to the park at opening and leaving in the early hours when the magic hours end. Other people have families with younger children and need midday breaks, pool time, and general downtime to keep the fun going or else face the wrath of the tired child meltdown. They'll need more time than the park commandos to see it all, and even then they might not because of their children's wishes. Yet another category are those that want to explore at leasure, do behind the scenes tours, wander through shops and hotels, and in general experience all of the things at the parks that there are to have. Understand what type of vacation you want and realistically can deliver and you won't be disappointed.

It is my understanding that extra evening hours have been reduced from 3 to 2.

A bientot

"I'm not interested in what you did yesterday, because I'm not going to be there. I know I can do that. It's the next thing that I'm interested in" (Walt Disney)
    "Sometimes it's not to your benefit to mess with things that are above your reach. You don't want to show yourself to be too stupid." (Bob Dylan)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    It is my understanding that extra evening hours have been reduced from 3 to 2.

A bientot
    I believe you are correct... my bad.
    Steve

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had a great time this past may and did a couple things we had never done before like renting a boat out of the Polynesian. But during the time while riding the boat, the bus and the monorail I kept thinking wow another Disney resort going up! So when are they going to add the attractions to match the influx of people they are expecting to get?

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Another great article & spot on - thanks Steve!

I'm known at work and among friends to be the one to go to for Disney advice and I always love to help; however, if they don't take my advice that's their choice! I agree that you need to research & do some sort of planning ahead of time (e.g. restaurants and attractions) so you are somewhat prepared and will have a great time.

I played tour guide for my best friend and her 2 teenage daughters in June 2010, where I planned each day down to which park we would visit on any given day, a plan of attack for each park (which I still kept flexible), and a daily sit-down meal to give us a break from touring. We also had one day halfway through the week where we had a late breakfast at Chef Mickey's and then they went to Typhoon Lagoon while I hit the outlet stores...this gave us a break from each other as well as allowed us to do what we wanted! I knew they all had high energy levels and wanted them to experience as much as possible, and they all agreed that they probably wouldn't have seen as much on their own otherwise. I also LOVED the planning part! However, I'm also aware that this is not realistic for everyone else, and slowing down to enjoy the parks is very important as I get older.

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

I would add one very important sin, especially with the limited time magic going on, ignore special events. While that may be close to the same thing as going the wrong time of year, if you plan your stay a week before the food & wine or flower and garden fest started and it was just as easy to plan it for the next week, you have missed a big opportunity for something special. The same goes with halloween and christmas parties in the Magic Kingdom or the taping of the Christmas & Easter Parades. I thing it's the special events that make Disney special.

too many parks in one day

Wanted to add i think the worst deadly sin... (my last post wasn't the worst one)

The parks are big places and all day events. It is lunacy to try and see more than one park in a day. When you factor in walking out of the park, travel time, and walking back into the park, it's 2-3 hours between parks. Doing it waist time you could be enjoying the the park. Plus you miss a tremendous amount in both parks.

The only time I can see POSSIBLY getting away with it, is when on a night where the Magic Kingdom is open very very late (2am) and you go to the Animal kingdom at Opening, since AK is a relatively small park, you could theoretically (at a slow time of year mind you) finish around 3pm then go to the Magic Kingdom and stay to the very end and be able to do most of the popular rides.

But I am an extremely seasoned park aficionado and would know how to do it. There would have to be no kids and have to have a lot of stamina as it would be a 17 hour day and miles of brisk walking with no time to stop.

Epcot or Hollywood studios, forget it. Opening hours never allow you be able to do it.

Thanks as always for the excellent article. I've had occasion to talk to friends who did a WDW vacation and didn't enjoy themselves. And like in your experience, it almost always comes down to totally avoidable things, like it was too hot or too rainy or too crowded or we couldn't get in any of the good restaurants, etc. It's amazing what just a little bit of good information will do for you!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I do think we should allow for the fact that some people go to WDW and don't enjoy it....and that is ok. Not everyone will like every place.
    We know folks that got to Ocean City, MD at every chance. They swear by it - they want us to join them, to go. They say "but if you come with us you'll have fun, we know where to go, stay...blah blah blah". No Way - OC isn't for us, and going with seasoned visitors won't change that. And that is okay, so I think it's okay that some folks don't care for WDW. Proper planning isn't all that goes into a WDW trip, attitude has a lot to do with it.
    I say the less miserable people at WDW the better - cause I go there to enjoy myself!

ericles, you're absolutely right that WDW just isn't a good fit for some folks. But by far the folks I've heard from who didn't have a good time there listed as their gripes all the things noted above - all totally fixable with a bit of planning.

- James Taylor

That's my point. I've been on trips that have been planned to a T by folks very knowledgeable on that particular destination, and still not enjoyed it.
    I guess my point is even the most well planned out situation isn't to everyone's liking- and being well planned out doesn't guarantee the experience will be well received.

We're on the same page here, ericles.

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    We're on the same page here, ericles.
    Well then I am indeed in great Company

Hi Steve,

May I add my two cents? Please do not expect your hotel room to be ready when you arrive at 10am! Sometimes yes it will be ready but most of the time it will not as housekeeping needs time to clean. I've told this to my children from the very first visit. So we go to MK, tour a little, see the 3 o'clock parade and then have supper at Crystal Palace. "It's a tradition" my kids will tell you now. That way on your full day of touring MK while everyone else is seeing the parade you have shorter lines/less waiting for the rides! On a side note, I totally agree with ericles, couldn't have said it better! As always Steve, thanks for writing. Your articles are truly enjoyable and we look forward to them every month!

Gail

Blog Entries

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I agree there should be an eighth sin (or commandment) which would begin: "Thou shalt not expect...". And that inspires another article on the Ten Commandments of WDW Vacation Planning. Hmmm...

Steve

#8 - Overplanning and running of out things to do at WDW. Yes, this did happen to me on my first trip 15 years ago. I followed all these Disney websites on planning my vacation. Then, I realized that I did everything by the 4th day and I didn't have anymore money left to try other things in Orlando. Worse, I planned 10 days with 10 days of Disney exclusive theme park admissions and many Disney restaurant reservations especially in Epcot. I wished I saved some time and money for Universal and other outside attractions.

All your sins are correct. Let me offer additional comments.

#1a - Go during the school year. You'll have virtually no crowds. I went once in September. Summer weather without the summer crowds.

#2a - Make cancellable reservations especially for a rental car and if you're staying off-site.

#3a - Try a timeshare suite or condo that's one bedroom or larger. The right resort is more space with a nice swimming pool. Enjoy your own kitchen with large refrigerator. Location is important. Get a place close to WDW if staying off-site. If staying on-site, stay closer to the main theme parks like EPCOT or MK.

#4a - Don't overdo the dining reservations. It actually costs you a penalty if you no show. Pick one or two must-haves for dinner. Other times, do lunch which may or may not require reservations and are cheaper.

#5, 6, 7 - Good advice. Nothing new to add.

you too on the cheerleaders eh !!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by relaaxedwheniamthere View Post
    you too on the cheerleaders eh !!!!
    It really wasn't that bad but was a huge surprise when we stepped out of our room the first morning and saw hundreds of them, in uniform, practicing all over the grounds. It was like an infestation!
    Steve