Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    They were making announcements in the corrals that there would be Nestle Chocolate milk at the end of the race. They announced it at both the 10K and the half. It was quite odd.
    Didn't hear any announcements at the half regarding chocolate milk. Would have been nice if Nestle gave it out. I nice cold glass would have been a refreshing way to get some protein to the muscles.

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsnyrnr View Post
    Didn't hear any announcements at the half regarding chocolate milk. Would have been nice if Nestle gave it out. I nice cold glass would have been a refreshing way to get some protein to the muscles.
    It was during the "and now a word from our sponsors" they played before each race.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They didn't even offer it at the expo like usual.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    They didn't even offer it at the expo like usual.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Nope. Just a booth but no samples.
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    It was supposed to be a paid assignment, right? Did you get paid anyway? Or did they have you show up that early and then tell you never mind and didn't compensate you for the time it took you to get there when they said to.
    Yes, it was paid - they told us we'd get paid 2 hours for showing up to the overbooked shift. They acted like it was some generous gift of theirs, but it's actually just state law (reporting time).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Another temp question: is parking still included? At $20 to park I'd be hesitant to give up 90 minutes pay just to park.
    Yes, parking is still free for temps!
    🏠 Disneyland Resort ✔️Walt Disney World 2011 ✔️Hong Kong Disneyland 2015
    ✔️Shanghai Disneyland 2016 ✔️Disneyland Paris 2017! ⁉️Tokyo Disneyland 2020?

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockethouse View Post
    Yes, it was paid - they told us we'd get paid 2 hours for showing up to the overbooked shift. They acted like it was some generous gift of theirs, but it's actually just state law (reporting time).
    I guess it's good they paid you something but not enough to make up for having you show up for nothing.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I guess it's good they paid you something but not enough to make up for having you show up for nothing.
    Agree. Obviously they have to pay something BUT what about the gas someone wasted in their car to get there and go back home after being told to go home and not needed? What if that a person told to bad go home was depending on that extra money? You would think this temp agency would know what its doing but it doesn't seem like it at all. It hurts those hired in the end...even if it is a temp job. SMH
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    It was during the "and now a word from our sponsors" they played before each race.
    Ahhh. That explains it. I don't pay too much attention to the "word from our sponsors". Did they actually say you will get chocolate milk at the finish line or was it more of a tag line like "enjoy a Nestle Chocolate Milk when you finish the race"? I have a feeling it was more of a marketing tag line.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess
    Agree. Obviously they have to pay something BUT what about the gas someone wasted in their car to get there and go back home after being told to go home and not needed? What if that a person told to bad go home was depending on that extra money? You would think this temp agency would know what its doing but it doesn't seem like it at all. It hurts those hired in the end...even if it is a temp job. SMH
    I agree that it sucks for the workers who were told to go home. From the temp companies perspective though, they need to make sure they have enough workers for the event. They have to account for potential no shows, so they probably hire more workers than needed. I bet there is something buried in the worker agreement that states they may be told to go home. Again, sucks for the workers who showed up at 0 dark 30 for nothing.

On that note, thank you to all of the workers who did show up and provided the support we needed during the race weekend.

Fortunately, temping/volunteering for these is just something I do for fun as a runner and I only drove about 15 minutes out of my way - so for me it's a minor inconvenience (aside from the bad impression AppleOne left on me). I did talk to another temp on Sunday who had considered turning down overtime hours at her regular job to work the race on Saturday and was very thankful she had decided to work those overtime hours instead of potentially being turned away from a shift.

To clarify, I was sent home from an 8:30am expo shift - so I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night. Made me second guess my 2:30am shift for the next day, though!

I'm lucky to have a cushy office gig as a day job, but this experience did really make me feel for people living off hourly jobs where this might be a regular occurrence. Sucks.

🏠 Disneyland Resort ✔️Walt Disney World 2011 ✔️Hong Kong Disneyland 2015
    ✔️Shanghai Disneyland 2016 ✔️Disneyland Paris 2017! ⁉️Tokyo Disneyland 2020?

Blog Entries

Finishing up my article today on the DLand Half Weekend. Anyone want to provide any final comments on their race experience including race support (both good and bad)? Writing it as a follow-up to the mess that was Tinker Bell so looking for perspectives of those who did both as well.

RunningFool

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Finishing up my article today on the DLand Half Weekend. Anyone want to provide any final comments on their race experience including race support (both good and bad)? Writing it as a follow-up to the mess that was Tinker Bell so looking for perspectives of those who did both as well.
    I will add this. I was a spectator on Sunday AM for the half from about 630 am to 9am. Hot and all that like everyone said. However - I will relate the AMAZING efforts that the medical services team does at the finish. Watching them spring into action - whether its someone just throwing up ; assisting a disabled veteran with pain in his artificial limb to get on a wheelchair, or the biggest I saw where an older gentleman (maybe 60+) crossed the finish and collapsed, then tried to get up, and then just face planted. The rush of personnel to tend to him, route other finishers away from him, and to get the EMTs and the gurney was amazing to watch. Kudos to those professionals who worked tirelessly in the heat to help people in need.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

We had a great first experience with the Disneyland Half Marathon. One slight snafu: we showed id's when we picked up our bibs, but they gave us the wrong bibs. Noticed right after we walked out the door, so I walked back and got the correct ones. The numbers were off by 1 number each: should have been 2973, 2975, 2976 and we got 2773, 2775, 2776. Glad I noticed. They had one person check id's and give the second person the numbers. I think the second person just misheard the numbers.