Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: AP Refund vs. Extension Questions: Pros? Cons?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    My thinking is there is no real point in calling now. The CMs on the phone don't really know and Disney may not have even decided how they will handle it. Anything they tell you may not even happen when they do open. I'm expecting there to be lots of "special cases" the longer this goes on. And even though that means really high call volume, I still think it is best just to wait.
    Its why I've debated it. The long wait to talk to someone that more than likely has no clue at this point. I figured with how this is turning out right now that we will all end up probably needing things adjusted by them once the time comes.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Its why I've debated it. The long wait to talk to someone that more than likely has no clue at this point. I figured with how this is turning out right now that we will all end up probably needing things adjusted by them once the time comes.
    I waited less than 10 minutes, so it wasn't that bad. But since a bunch of passes fell out of accounts since the 31st it might be bad now.

I waited less than 10 minutes, so it wasn't that bad. But since a bunch of passes fell out of accounts since the 31st it might be bad now.
    Glad you didn't wait long. Yes it may be. I guess it will just depend on how many notice this has happened or not and when they do.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Glad you didn't wait long. Yes it may be. I guess it will just depend on how many notice this has happened or not and when they do.
    I still have not received my call back. Sounds like I have to connect again..

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I still have not received my call back. Sounds like I have to connect again..

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    This is part of why I was waiting to call. I wanted to see what happened on your end. Guess you will have to call again if they haven't reached out yet. Hopefully it gets handled for you soon.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    My Deluxe AP expired in late February and my husband's is due to expire 9/27; I had purchased two new APs in early January (at the older pass prices) that just had to be activated within a year of purchase, then their expiration dates would be a year after activation.

We originally were going to go in May and I was going to activate my pass then, followed by a second trip in September right before James' pass expired, and then a third trip in December for my 60th birthday & also to activate his pass. I subsequently canceled the May trip and hope the September & December trips can happen as planned; however, I'm tempted to cancel James' current pass and then just activate both passes whenever we are able to resume visits, which may or may not happen this year. I also had thought about what currence stated about the rate on James' AP being less than what I paid for the new passes in January which are waiting to be activated.

I have a couple of questions before I decide:
    • If you elect to cancel a pass and get a prorated refund, do they cancel back to a March 15th effective date (first date of closure)?
    • I assume the two unactivated passes will be extended accordingly as well?

I'm not sure if anyone here knows the answers; I may just need to call to get more information before I decide.
    I called this afternoon and only waited a minute or two (once all of the announcements are done) for a CM to answer (she said today has been very slow for some reason). I found out the two unactivated passes that I bought on 1-4-20 STILL have to be activated by 1-3-21 (no extension); however, if unable to activate within the year for whatever reason, the price we paid will be applied to the current price of a pass and any price difference would be due.

We also want to get a pro-rated refund for James' still active pass that expires 9-27-20, but he has to be the one to call and request it.

I'm closely watching how things go between now and our planned trip in late September, before we firmly decide what's best for us.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

I called this afternoon and only waited a minute or two (once all of the announcements are done) for a CM to answer (she said today has been very slow for some reason). I found out the two unactivated passes that I bought on 1-4-20 STILL have to be activated by 1-3-21 (no extension); however, if unable to activate within the year for whatever reason, the price we paid will be applied to the current price of a pass and any price difference would be due.

We also want to get a pro-rated refund for James' still active pass that expires 9-27-20, but he has to be the one to call and request it.

I'm closely watching how things go between now and our planned trip in late September, before we firmly decide what's best for us.
    That answers the question I've been asking since they closed. I purchased 2 Flex passes on 1-3-20 that have an activate by date of 1-2-21. I sure hope we can manage to go at least 1 day before then to activate them. I bought early trying to avoid the next price increase, so it would be a real bummer if our only choice would be to apply the $ to a current price pass. I was hoping they were going to extend our activate by date for the number of they they end up being closed. And if they keep the current block out days, we'd both have to activate no later than December 20th this year.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    That answers the question I've been asking since they closed. I purchased 2 Flex passes on 1-3-20 that have an activate by date of 1-2-21. I sure hope we can manage to go at least 1 day before then to activate them. I bought early trying to avoid the next price increase, so it would be a real bummer if our only choice would be to apply the $ to a current price pass. I was hoping they were going to extend our activate by date for the number of they they end up being closed. And if they keep the current block out days, we'd both have to activate no later than December 20th this year.
    I thought you could activate on a blackout day? I expect that if you get close to the expiration date and call to explain the situation, they may be able to make a one-off exception. I also wouldn't be surprised if they extend some of the activate-by dates if the park closure continues for significantly longer. Now that the park won't be re-opening mid-July, some of the current details/rules may change.

My AP has now expired. The notice to renew stayed both in the app and online, but both forwarded to the part of the site that says renewals are suspended if I clicked on it. Since it no longer shows online I assume I can't buy any AP exclusives items when they go on sale on the 14th. I'm not sure I would want to anyway. I am definitely not going to Downtown Disney to spend any money, so the lack of an AP discount doesn't matter there.

I kind of wish I had renewed before they suspended renewals, but I was afraid it would mess up my extension. Now I wonder if they would even honor it. I haven't seen it yet, but they said they are refunding the payments from the first few weeks of the closure.

My AP has now expired. The notice to renew stayed both in the app and online, but both forwarded to the part of the site that says renewals are suspended if I clicked on it. Since it no longer shows online I assume I can't buy any AP exclusives items when they go on sale on the 14th. I'm not sure I would want to anyway. I am definitely not going to Downtown Disney to spend any money, so the lack of an AP discount doesn't matter there.

I kind of wish I had renewed before they suspended renewals, but I was afraid it would mess up my extension. Now I wonder if they would even honor it. I haven't seen it yet, but they said they are refunding the payments from the first few weeks of the closure.
    I know we are in the same boat with my husband's AP as you. I didn't think to even just renew it back in May but not even for the reason of the extension being messed up but we had discussed waiting until the extension and then renewing when it was time to expire when it came after that. I haven't had a chance to get a quiet moment to call and ask about it all but need to try to.

I figured that no matter what with the 65th items that resellers will flock the store being grabby and then there will be those that keep finding the backdoor in to get merchandise online before it ends up on sale to resell. So if anything is left it will be surprising at this point. Not much that really caught my interest from what was online in previews. I think maybe a couple things I'd like but not I need to have type items.

My AP expires on 9/12. So I called the number provided and had a 3 minute wait. I first asked about renewing my pass and she said i couldn't but she said my pass will still give me all my parking privileges discounts and entry into the park when it reopens. So she said hang tight and you'll be updated when there is a opening date. Which is what we've been told all along. So my wife and I are waiting like everybody else is. I think it's martini time.

J

I am getting the feeling that a lot of people may not feel comfortable going to Disneyland once it opens. I wonder if they will allow current season pass holders who feel this way to keep their passes on hold a little longer or if they will just make the time start ticking once they open?

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    I am getting the feeling that a lot of people may not feel comfortable going to Disneyland once it opens. I wonder if they will allow current season pass holders who feel this way to keep their passes on hold a little longer or if they will just make the time start ticking once they open?
    My guess is no, only because during the reservations only time period, however long that lasts, pass holders will be a giant headache for them. So as much as they love pass holder $, I think that they are going to (at least temporarily) try to reduce the number of pass holders. They've already started by not selling/renewing APs.

It will be interesting to see if the no sales/renewals continues after the parks reopen. I have been on the fence about extending one of my kid's passes vs. taking the $ and a shortened expiration period. At this point, we would get about 1/2 of our money back. But I am mildly concerned that if we don't keep the pass, it might be a while before I can buy him a pass again.

but if they did allow Passholders to put the AP on hold then they would reduce the number of them in the parks

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    but if they did allow Passholders to put the AP on hold then they would reduce the number of them in the parks
    This wasn't allowed for WDW APs, so I'm not sure why it would be allowed at DLR.

I also wonder how they will handle MaxPass if you have it added to your AP already...if they aren't allowing fastpasses when they reopen, shouldn't they give you some sort of refund for the time you aren't able to use it?

Pam
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

I also wonder how they will handle MaxPass if you have it added to your AP already...if they aren't allowing fastpasses when they reopen, shouldn't they give you some sort of refund for the time you aren't able to use it?
    That's a fair point. We have Flex passes with the MaxPass add-on. We paid in full on 1-3-2020, but never activated prior to Disneyland closing. We need to activate them by 1-2-2021, and I've heard they will not be extending the date for passes like ours that haven't had a 1st use yet. I'm hoping they open and we can actually go for a couple days by the end of the year, or they will apparently just be very expensive gift cards at that point.

That's a fair point. We have Flex passes with the MaxPass add-on. We paid in full on 1-3-2020, but never activated prior to Disneyland closing. We need to activate them by 1-2-2021, and I've heard they will not be extending the date for passes like ours that haven't had a 1st use yet. I'm hoping they open and we can actually go for a couple days by the end of the year, or they will apparently just be very expensive gift cards at that point.
    I also have 2 Deluxe passes with MaxPass that I purchased at the beginning of the year that I haven't been able to activate yet; I was told by Disney that you can apply the money you spent on them to new passes, but would have to pay the difference if there is one (I would hope that they hold off on price increases for awhile!), so you are NOT out the money! I too hope to be able to activate mine before the end of the year!
    Pam

I also have 2 Deluxe passes with MaxPass that I purchased at the beginning of the year that I haven't been able to activate yet; I was told by Disney that you can apply the money you spent on them to new passes, but would have to pay the difference if there is one (I would hope that they hold off on price increases for awhile!), so you are NOT out the money! I too hope to be able to activate mine before the end of the year!
    Except I purchased them just a week or so before they raised the prices, so buying them again even if they keep them at the current prices we'll be out another $75 on each of the passes.

Except I purchased them just a week or so before they raised the prices, so buying them again even if they keep them at the current prices we'll be out another $75 on each of the passes.
    OOPS...you're right! Ours went up $30 apiece plus the increase in MaxPass of $25 apiece...that does suck!
    Pam

People on other boards have been told by the phone line CMs that they will be refunded the money for the Max Pass add on. We'll see what happens!

What did you end up doing on your passes? Now that it's official they won't be reopening until sometime next year, will they refund our money?

What did you end up doing on your passes? Now that it's official they won't be reopening until sometime next year, will they refund our money?
    Signature passes (payment plan) expiring end of February - we're going to let them lapse after being AP holders since 1989. Future is too unknown, so we'll wait it out.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

since COVID numbers are going up the opening of the parks may be on hold until a vaccine has been in circulation for a while. It makes me think that after the holidays Disney might make a decision on what to do with APs. I know they made an announcement to changes coming - and I wonder if one of the things holding them up is how to not lose all the retail revenue they are making with the discount draws of APs. Right now thats the only way the resort is making money - through retail - and most likely since there are so many passholders this could be driving a lot of that revenue. If they pull the passholder program (and the discounts) will their revenue stream dry up significantly too. That's a big question.

Since they have been honoring expired cards as "discount" cards maybe this could continue but all park entrances will be blocked or removed once we get closer to park opening. I do think once the parks open for sure they may at that time finally announce what they want to do with APs. Since it would be 30 days or so (maybe 60) between an announcement and the opening next year i guess they would have time then to announce changes.

for me - i renewed in April 2020 - that was just before they stopped taking renewals and new. so it will be a full year probably of pass access to be carried over. I keep wondering if the resort will simply refund everyone if they cant open sooner than summer.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Santa / Actor for hire
    MousePad Subscriber

I am a Premier Pass holder and once the Disneyland Resort reopens, I will see what Disney does as far as extending my pass, but being Disney Park fan, I am I see myself renewing after the extension date.

Setting up camp at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds now sometime in the future
    My Acting website
    My Santa website "It's not the look, it's what is in ones heart, that makes one a Santa"
    My Promotional Marketing website that's were my user name comes