Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Mouse Tales' David Koenig: Parking Lost

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Mouse Tales' David Koenig: Parking Lost

Parking Lost by David Koenig

Disneyland cast members are unhappy to give up their spots for guests.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Seems like a huge overreaction, to quit over 2 days of parking relocation. Employee parking at Universal Studios gets relocated to the studio lot many many times throughout the year. The economy must be doing better if salaried employees walk over this....

Though I do wonder if Disney's intent actually is to thin the AP herd.

Quote Originally Posted by MousePlanet AutoPoster View Post
    Parking Lost by David Koenig

Disneyland cast members are unhappy to give up their spots for guests.

Read it here!
    >>

Sad that Disneyland is so fun to visit but does not seem as fun to work at. Why can't employees just be paid on those days when they park if it truly will take an extra hour to get to job from the off site parking lot? Doesn't seem like a big deal to add an hour to pay check?

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know Disney has to tackle one giant project/issue at a time - but it always seems like the cast-member and ops planning is reactionary. To me - that stems from execs in TDA marketing making plans and announcements, and the Ops folks finding out about it through rumors in the media first before they meet together to discuss planning. Imagineering has had this issue for years - Blue Sky all the way until they try to install the thing in the parks and look at actually 16 hours of constant operation. So gradually the CM quality will go even lower since morale will drive them out. And with crowds comes lack of patience, which leads to negative feelings, which leads to sniping and a lack of grace on everyone's part. It may not be pretty...

On the offices front- don't they have enough? Disneyland is starting to look likes its own 1% vs 99% - TDA and off-stage gets more and on-stage CMs get less. Hmmm... I am sure we've all seen that at companies - where the middle is gone and the top and bottom are pretty large and flat. does not create a very good work environment.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Real world parking:
    * My son is working on a major construction project west of Portland, he has to arrive at a parking lot 30 mins early to stand in line to catch a bus that travels 20 mins to the construction site and he needs to walk to his work site before the morning start time. He is not paid for this hour of time.

*I am a vendor at a collectable show which during the summer is the Largest show in the US. I have to park 40 mins early before the doors open for vendors only. We all park in distant parking lot ( about Arrowhead away in distance), wait in line for a bus to transport us and dropped off to wait another 20 mins before door opens to vendors only. I pay for this travel expense

*On the weekends at the Oregon STate Fair I tell my afternoon work crew to arrive an hour early then the weekdays because the surface streets become jammed, the parking gate entrance is bumper to bumper and then vehicle movement comes to a crawl when traveling over the grass field to a parking spot flagged by an attendant. They are not paid for that hour of vehicle traveling.

Curtsinore: I totally see your point. i used to work for a large shopping center and every year during holiday season, we'd have to navigate congested streets, park off-site and fight holiday shopping crowds just to get to the break room. the whole process took almost an hr extra (if you were lucky). but i have to side w/ the castmembers on this one. i hated that parking program with a fiery passion!

As an PAP (and probably part of the problem) i would be willing to park waaaay offsite if it means happier castmembers in the park. in fact, other than the 23rd (early morning DCA visit) i'll probably be taking the lovely OCTA "Limo" to and from the park, just do i don't have to deal w/ the parking mess.

Blog Entries

David, this article is another reason why you are one of my favorite Disneyland writers.
    I've read that theme park ride operators are among America's most "over-qualified" workers
    in that a surprising # have more education than is required to do their jobs.
    If Disney wants to retain and attract "overqualified cast members" who can bring extra magic to their "guests,"
    they will have to treat them well.

If George K., Thomas Staggs, Bob Iger and John L. care foremost about their short-term
    and (and perhaps in Staggs' case) medium-term compensation,
    then this free meal voucher is absolutely perfect.
    But John L. has no responsibility for this. Exactly.

Any chance we could get a Mouse Tales 2: The Next Twenty Years (1994-2013)? I'm not sure how this would fit with "More Mouse Tales," which (I think) was published in 2002.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by curtsinore View Post
    Real world parking:
    * My son is working on a major construction project west of Portland,
    That is a MAJOR construction project! One of my sisters works at that facility, and she said all the Engineers in the facility were geeking out at the super duper huge crane they had for a while.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by curtsinore View Post
    Real world parking:
    * My son is working on a major construction project west of Portland, he has to arrive at a parking lot 30 mins early to stand in line to catch a bus that travels 20 mins to the construction site and he needs to walk to his work site before the morning start time. He is not paid for this hour of time.
    This was the norm when he got the job, correct? We have to do the same at Disney.

*I am a vendor at a collectable show which during the summer is the Largest show in the US. I have to park 40 mins early before the doors open for vendors only. We all park in distant parking lot ( about Arrowhead away in distance), wait in line for a bus to transport us and dropped off to wait another 20 mins before door opens to vendors only. I pay for this travel expense
    Again, this is the norm you accepted when you took the job, correct?

*On the weekends at the Oregon STate Fair I tell my afternoon work crew to arrive an hour early then the weekdays because the surface streets become jammed, the parking gate entrance is bumper to bumper and then vehicle movement comes to a crawl when traveling over the grass field to a parking spot flagged by an attendant. They are not paid for that hour of vehicle traveling.
    We have to do this sometimes at Disney as well. When the NAMM Show is in town, I leave almost an hour earlier to make sure traffic doesn't affect me so much. Same when they have to do weird shuttle routs that use the 5 freeway when the 1/2 marathon is in town.

I think you missed the whole point here. Disney has taken the norm, thrown it out, and is offering very little to us CMs in exchange. When you become a CM, one of the things you accept is off site parking and getting there about 30 mins early. It is now requiring us to park several miles out, and also reserves the right to do so at any point in the future.

Also, it appears that the boneheads in TDA didn't look at the schedule for the Anaheim Resort/Platinum Triangle area at all. There are Angels home games very early in the day on both days so far. There is an event at the Honda Center in the evening on the 17th. And the ACC also has events running of both weekends. So on the 17th, where exactly do they plan on us parking if we have shifts starting between 10am and 10pm? The stadium will likely start parking for the game around 10am. It lets out around 4 or 5pm, which is a traffic nightmare for about an hour. And at that same time, people are starting to show up for the show at the Honda Center. Katella around the 57 freeway at that time is going to be a mess. And they want to run shuttles through that... OH. JOY.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosepins View Post
    As an PAP (and probably part of the problem) i would be willing to park waaaay offsite if it means happier castmembers in the park. in fact, other than the 23rd (early morning DCA visit) i'll probably be taking the lovely OCTA "Limo" to and from the park, just do i don't have to deal w/ the parking mess.
    I agree Rosepins. I would park far offsite if necessary for the CM's to have better conditions.

An additional thought: If they want to prune the ranks of the Annual Passholders, get rid of the monthly payment option! A huge increase in price doesn't have as much of an effect when it amounts to $12.50/month or less.
    Check out my blog Faith and the Magic Kingdom! Finding and exploring illustrations, metaphors, examples and lessons for the Christian life found at the Magic Kingdom of Disneyland.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I remember my first retail management job, and having to park over a mile away for the entire period between Thanksgiving and New Years. They had a shuttle that ran every 20 minutes; if it was full, you waited or you walked. It easily added an hour to my day. Our company offered us a token benefit to make up for the inconvenience - free lunch Fridays or something like that.

This was news to me, something never explained when I was hired. When I complained to another manager about it during lunch, she shared that her previous mall had NO employee parking whatsoever - you took public transportation, or you paid the daily rate to park in the mall's pay parking lot.

I get being upset by this, I really honestly and truly do. I don't see quitting your job over it based on the two announced dates. If this becomes a more frequent thing, and Disney doesn't do something to add more employee parking, then I could see where CMs may have a reason to reconsider their employment, especially those who only work 4-5 hour shifts. But labor actions (sick outs) are an overreaction at this point. Most cast members already park "off site," now they're doing it about a mile further away. I won't say "just" a mile, because I know what that mile can look like in traffic, but from some of the responses you would think that Disney has just now created the off-site lots and cast member shuttles.

Personally, I think Disney should have eliminated the parking add-on for the annual pass during this latest round of price increases as was rumored. If passholders had to pay to park every vehicle they drive to the Resort, I believe there would be a LOT more carpooling, and a lot more space for everyone. My husband and I park for free, so we never worry about bringing two cars if doing so is even slightly more convenient for us. All of our friends have parking on their AP; it's not at all unusual for 10 or more of us to arrive in 10 or more cars. IF we all had to pay every time, I know we'd reconsider our driving plans.

Adrienne

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

I wonder if they could do something similar to what they do here for the Del Mar Fair and the golf tournament at Torrey Pines. You pay for onsite parking but if you choose to park in one of the outer lots with shuttles those are free. One of the lots is fairly close but a couple are a few miles away. I'm not sure how you'd be able to communicate this to guests but it would be a way to free up close spaces for guests without having to take away employee parking.

And I get that for CM's this just seems to be one more thing piled on. I've had jobs as well where parking for the lower level employees wasn't onsite and we had to pay for it as well. It's sucky.

I can see both sides here. Seems the more DL takes away from CM's, the less they ever get back. Is DL footing the bill for employees to park and ride to work? If not, they should.
    Why isn't DL working with the convention center or Garden walk to provide parking for guests??

AVP- you should car pool anyway, even with free parking!! Better for your gas bill and others as well and better for California's nasty air issues.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Why is June 17th and 24th (both Sundays) suppossed to be any worse than the 15th, 16th or 23rd ?

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I know Disney has to tackle one giant project/issue at a time - but it always seems like the cast-member and ops planning is reactionary. To me - that stems from execs in TDA marketing making plans and announcements, and the Ops folks finding out about it through rumors in the media first before they meet together to discuss planning. Imagineering has had this issue for years - Blue Sky all the way until they try to install the thing in the parks and look at actually 16 hours of constant operation. So gradually the CM quality will go even lower since morale will drive them out. And with crowds comes lack of patience, which leads to negative feelings, which leads to sniping and a lack of grace on everyone's part. It may not be pretty...

On the offices front- don't they have enough? Disneyland is starting to look likes its own 1% vs 99% - TDA and off-stage gets more and on-stage CMs get less. Hmmm... I am sure we've all seen that at companies - where the middle is gone and the top and bottom are pretty large and flat. does not create a very good work environment.
    With everything Disneyland is doing right now, couldn't they have worked on another parking garage. I thought one was planned but wouldn't be done for opening of DCA so it was scrapped. Think DL needs to seriously think about that parking addition.
    Back to CM parking, couldn't they give out vouchers at Anaheim Stadium or Honda Center to give to the managers to pay for the time it took them to park? If they usually park close to DL, and are now being forced to park further away taking more time, should DL pay for their time?

Those Sundays only the Socal Select passes are blocked. All others are open. The Saturday's are blocked to all but Premium. Since cars land is opening they are assuming that all the SoCal and Deluxe pass holders will want to try and get into see it.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Personally, I think Disney should have eliminated the parking add-on for the annual pass during this latest round of price increases as was rumored. If passholders had to pay to park every vehicle they drive to the Resort, I believe there would be a LOT more carpooling, and a lot more space for everyone. My husband and I park for free, so we never worry about bringing two cars if doing so is even slightly more convenient for us. All of our friends have parking on their AP; it's not at all unusual for 10 or more of us to arrive in 10 or more cars. IF we all had to pay every time, I know we'd reconsider our driving plans.

Adrienne
    We only have parking on one of our passes, and our parking situation was "creative" at times when I worked in that area and my husband/kids could drive down to meet me after work for a few hours in the park. I think Disney would see additional problems with their neighbors if more people did this. Also, the Downtown Disney lots would likely be overwhelmed, despite their numerous signs advising that there is only 3 hours of free parking. While 3 hours isn't nearly enough for someone who paid $100ish for a one-day ticket, it is plenty of time for someone coming after work or who can pop in more frequently thanks to their annual pass.

We had the opportunity to have Magic Mountain annual passes way back before kids. We didn't in large part because they didn't have a parking option. Even though the annual passes cost next to nothing, we calculated that the price after factoring in gas, parking, food, etc. was higher than we were prepared to spend. So we would either never go and thus the AP was a waste, or we would go and it would cost too much money. I think they have now created a pass level that includes parking. I would be very sad if Disney discontinued the parking pass.

I think Disney needs to bite the bullet and build another parking structure ASAP.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

My real world experience is very similar to curtisnore's son's. There are MANY working situations where the employee has to PAY to park in or near their place of employment. Most of the shopping centers I work with reserve the right to cause employees to park off-site and shuttle in during the busy holiday season--the bottom line is this: you have to get the customers to the place of business in order for the company owner to make money in order to pay its employees. Would the CMs rather have less people coming to DLR because the customers believe it is too much of a hassle to come to the resort? I can tell you that personally there have been several occasions when I have decided not to come to the resort (even with parking on my pass for free) because the thought of dealing with the parking situation outweighs the desire to be at the parks. (Although having the Toy Story option has made it more palatable--but I still won't come unless I am coming early.) When I was with a big firm down in Newport Beach, several years ago, we were REQUIRED to carpool at least one day a week. Try coordinating attorneys' schedules to come and leave at the same time. Not easy. But we did it while we were required to do so.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"driving to work and parking in a Cast lot is not expected or required, and is just one option"

I agree this wording is very insulting since it is cryptic and doesn't really make any sense. Exactly, how does someone go to work? It is also very strange that Disney gave the employee parking lots to guests, who don't really know how to access those lots. The guests will have difficulty navigating the employee parking lots and getting to the main entrance.

Don't salaried employees usually not work on Sundays? Those salaried employee parking lots should be freed up for the hourly CMs to use.

Instead of making this change, they should encourage the guests to park in the remote locations on an as needed basis. They might not even get the attendance explosion that they anticipate.

As a former CM, I totally understand why CM's are so frustrated. They often feel as though management considers them expendable and their happiness is not in any way a priority. Remember, their motto is, "We work while others play." The more you think about it, the more you see how demoralizing that statement really is. They are constantly an after-thought and things like this really continue to drive that point home. And it doesn't matter if it's only listed as these two or three days. Those days will turn into four, then five, then NYE, then all summer. This would not be a big deal if the CM's were given the impression that they matter. Management needs to understand how important it is for the front line team to feel valued, and these things tell them the opposite.

ETA: If I were managing some of the local hotels with larger lots, like the Hilton on Convention Way, I'd invite CM's to park in our lot for $5, and receive a voucher for a free dessert or something. There is an opportunity to make good to the displaced CM's.

DISNEYLAND CAST MEMBER - 1996-2005
    The best memories of my life...

someone mentioned weeding out annual pass holders? If that's the case, why do away with the 6-day park hopper?!? We come for a week every year (live out of state) and were told "even though you only want 6 or 7 days, consider the value in the annual pass..." Yes, DOUBLE the price pretty much. Maybe they are working toward doing away with the parking option but want to increase annual pass holders for those "far away" to keep the revenue while not adding to the regular crowds/parking.

As for these 2 days... seems like the open-ended "as needed" is more the insult to the injury. Uncertainty in jobs makes people crazy. How often will I have to leave an hour and 1/2 before work, etc.?? Either do away with the lots and provide something that works for the cast members or don't touch it.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbdisney8 View Post

As for these 2 days... seems like the open-ended "as needed" is more the insult to the injury. Uncertainty in jobs makes people crazy. How often will I have to leave an hour and 1/2 before work, etc.?? Either do away with the lots and provide something that works for the cast members or don't touch it.
    not only that - but what if management is caught off guard? I use the OMDD as an example, and of course NOW they have this on their radar, but back then they saw this huge influx and tried to make calls for folks to come in. Was this a CM issue? no - it was a management planning and communication issue - but in a sense the CMs will get the "hurry up" call and be tasked with that immediate response. Will they be held accountable for not making it in time according to their management, even if they had minimal notice? it's another thing that drives you crazy as an employee in any business - that uncertainty as mentioned about what you can and can't do, and what you may or may not be held responsible for - even if you had no initial part in the event in question.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney