Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Price hike winter 2018

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Do you still get a special pass (for park entry) on the day you activate if that same day happens to be a blackout day?

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I've been following other info on pass programs
    This recent post relates changes to the pass programs at Tokyo Disney Resort. This may be a prelude to changes at Disneyland.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/new/2018/02...annual-passes/

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I was at Target earlier looking to see what tickets they have and they have the 2 day park hoppers for $244 and can't remember if you can use RedCard to get 5% off on these?

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I was at Target earlier looking to see what tickets they have and they have the 2 day park hoppers for $244 and can't remember if you can use RedCard to get 5% off on these?
    My Target still had them as well. Yes to 5% off. At least regular Disney gift cards do.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    So I've been following other info on pass programs
    This recent post relates changes to the pass programs at Tokyo Disney Resort. This may be a prelude to changes at Disneyland.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/new/2018/02...annual-passes/
    Aren't most of those provisions already in place with the current APs at Disneyland? Other than the shorter voucher activation window, the only one I can see being a problem is only being told 3 months ahead of time what the blockout dates will be. I don't know that such a provision would be allowed in the U.S. It would certainly not be well-accepted.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Aren't most of those provisions already in place with the current APs at Disneyland?
    yes some
    Other than the shorter voucher activation window, the only one I can see being a problem is only being told 3 months ahead of time what the blockout dates will be. I don't know that such a provision would be allowed in the U.S. It would certainly not be well-accepted.
    we shall see I guess. with new attendance patterns occuring now the usual visit planning maps out there may not be valid any longer.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Will be saving up a small fund when renewal comes up. Just squeaked by on renewal on Feb 1.

Blog Entries

The parks are less pleasant when they're super-crowded, and I'd bet that Bob Iger is not creating the park experience he'd most enjoy as a guest.
    Maybe Iger prefers the parks be as crowded as possible every day (while also maximizing ticket/AP revenue), because more people spend more on food.

BUT maybe in the long run the parks would earn even more money if all but the most expensive APs had ltd. #s of visits,
    with options for more visits, block out days, parking, discounts, etc.

If almost all passes only allowed 4 or 6 visits a year, people might appreciate the less crowded parks far more
    and maybe far more people would buy APs & be more likely to get them every year.
    Of course, people who want to visit the parks more than 6 times a year could just buy more APs after they used up their visits, IF they could afford more passes.

My daughter & I were once in DCA for the rope drop when the park was opening and a grouchy guy started complaining to me, really upset about some things that seemed petty ot me, and I'm a Disney park perfectionist. He mentioned that he goes EVERY weekend. Passes with limited #s of visits would make it less likely that guests like this would contribute to park clogging by visiting 50 times a year. And this guy might then enjoy life more with visits to beaches, museums, the mountains, Wally World, etc.

I do like that the parks are priced differently on days depending on projected crowd size. . .
    (Off topic alert!!!) . . . although as a former teacher I don't like parents pulling kids out of school for Disney parks, especially when kids are in high school and grades determine college options. I remember some parents pulling a girl out to take her to Hawaii, and this brought her A- down to a B+. Not a big difference, but it could've kept her out of her dream college.

After the Orange County Register article there were some ignorant comments that all Walt cared about was money. I've read a lot about Walt, and I think of him as a highly motivated artist. Steve Jobs admired Walt a lot, and I think they shared a love of creating mind-blowing, excellent, innovative products. THAT was their primary focus, and they were then rewarded with profits that let them create more dream projects.

That's not to say that Jobs & Walt are the only kind of people who've used capitalism to better their worlds.
    Bill Gates & Andrew Carnegie seemed more focused on market share, but then used their enormous fortunes to become inspired philanthropists.

IMO there is no proof that the parks would be less crowded on the days that get crowded if APs were less in the parks. I think the time after Christmas is a HUGE proof of that since 3 out of the 4 are blocked out and I would bet there is not as many paying for that AP over 1k compared to Deluxe or a SoCal one. And guess what? There are crabby guests like the one you described that go for a day or a week vacation even. Sometimes its just that person is about anything they do. So that museum or beach visit you think he should go on might turn into the same attitude. As well as not all like those things either. Or who's to say he doesn't do those things? Its a bit much to assume someone would be better off doing this or that and their attitude might be different. Just my opinion though. Another thing to remember that we have seen the numbers grow for guests and it will be worse when Star's Wars opens but the fact is that even if APs could only go so many days a year, there is other guests out there that would replace those people. Its also not for others to tell each other how to spend there days in the parks or out. Its one of those things I've never cared for in talks in another place and seemed to be a big thing. As well as, for right now, there are still days to go and find it not so crowded. When I hear people go on about how packed it is every day I shake my head and roll my eyes because its not. We have found many days that weren't bad at all and some of them surprised us in that manner where we thought it would be crowded. Anyway, at the end of the day the company rather have a park packed full of as many people that can go in that day then not. I have a feeling they won't know how to handle it when Star Wars opens and they have more crowd to deal with then they could have imagined.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I've heard a lot of speculation in the past couple of years that Disney is supposedly trying to get fewer people to buy APs. I completely disagree with that. If that were true, Disney would get rid of the one thing that allows MORE people to buy APs - the monthly payment option. It would seem to me that offering a monthly payment option makes it possible for more people to buy APs. Even if it's just a family of 2 adults, dropping the entire cost of two top-level APs at once is pretty daunting. But, you break that cost up on a monthly basis, and it doesn't hit the pocketbook quite as hard, and you don't have to wait and save up the entire cost of two APs before you can purchase them.

It seems to me that Disney is trying to find a middle ground between too many people having APs (in the sense that the more people who have APs, the more crowded the parks could become) and selling enough APs to make sense from a business standpoint. People complain every time three's a price increase, but I haven't seen the attendance decrease any in the past several years. The parks are as crowded as ever.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

I agree with cstephens. Though sometimes when we say "reduce the volume of APs in the park" there is an assumption that this means much less crowded. I don't think that's the case anymore. With fewer APs that leaves more room for regular guests and with attendance rising at Disneyland it must be that the marketing department is doing a bang up job to get heads in the beds and keep the parks as full as comfortably possible.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've heard a lot of speculation in the past couple of years that Disney is supposedly trying to get fewer people to buy APs. I completely disagree with that. If that were true, Disney would get rid of the one thing that allows MORE people to buy APs - the monthly payment option.

It seems to me that Disney is trying to find a middle ground between too many people having APs (in the sense that the more people who have APs, the more crowded the parks could become) and selling enough APs to make sense from a business standpoint. People complain every time three's a price increase, but I haven't seen the attendance decrease any in the past several years. The parks are as crowded as ever.
    I have to say that all theme parks have a payment plan. It was not Disney that did it first either btw. I think it was Legoland that I first saw that option. Anyway, besides that though Disney advertises all over the place about the monthly plan for APs. Not just the parks but billboards and such. While most are locals that do have APs it seems to have become a thing more and more over the years as well for those that vacation here and/or WDW as well to get APs. Especially if they would come more then once a year. So aside from the monthly plan, the way they advertise APs to me has always said the opposite of what some speculate. Which to me was just more wishful thinking on their parts. LOL

Yes, each price increase people do complain and I doubt that will ever change either. Yet like you said it doesn't seem to decrease attendance at all. In fact there was a 5% increase last year. With the Pixar retheme to the pier in DCA and new fireworks in the other park I am sure there will be a bit there as well. Next year though, I would expect a major increase once Star Wars opens. So even if by chance prices go up 2 more times (obviously they will at least one more) and APs change it won't effect what is to come. There are going to be those that wish for what they are saying is overcrowding now at that point. That is just my take on it though and from seeing years of complaints and the kind of complaints. Which btw, a little side note, this site is seriously more mellow about these things then others and I am so glad for that.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I have to say that all theme parks have a payment plan. It was not Disney that did it first either btw.
    Well, I didn't say they did it first, but it sure makes a bigger difference with a Disney park, given the prices. Heck the monthly payment price for the highest level Disney AP might equal the entire AP price for another theme park.

Well, I didn't say they did it first, but it sure makes a bigger difference with a Disney park, given the prices. Heck the monthly payment price for the highest level Disney AP might equal the entire AP price for another theme park.
    And didn't say you did. Mentioned it because there are those out there that think Disney sets the trends in these things. Its just not always the case but more so just ended up the trend for many things...not just theme parks. But yes you are right that some of those monthly payments could equal the entire price for another one for sure.