Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Snap! We Didn't See That Coming - Cold Snap That Is

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Snap! We Didn't See That Coming - Cold Snap That Is

Snap! We Didn't See That Coming - Cold Snap That Is by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares tips for handling unforeseen cold weather at Disney theme parks.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

If I had one suggestion to everyone, it would be to check the weather sites - weather.com and accuweather.com. It just cracks me up to see people in line for a rope drop at a WDW park dressed in shorts and tank tops, and the temps are in the 30's or 40's. There's information out there, people. It's not always the most accurate, but it at least gives an indication as to the temps you're going to experience.

That said, I've been caught more than once in the unexpected cold. I've increased my supply of Disney sweatshirts at these times, but I still feel somewhat silly that I wasn't more prepared!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Long ago when I was about 10 and we took our first trip to WDW. There are many things about that trip that I will never forget. We were staying at a friends house and I remember waking up one morning to see the fruit tree in the neighbors yard covered in ice. They had sprayed water on it all night because of the cold...for reasons I still don't quite understand. Keeping that in mind, I packed hand warmers for our Dec. trip. The hand warmers were wonderful, a bit of warmth and they don't take up too much room. I had checked the weather and knew it would be cold. That trip we didn't spend as much time in the parks at night as I would have liked. It was just too cold. Still had a great time!

For some people, its hard to pack extra clothing to cover weather. Living in Canada, we always travel in November and have our winter coats on for departure, and I always bring a light jacket along with wet jackets. So prepared for wet and cold weather. I used to bring an umbrella along but it got to be a pain and take up space. Hardly ever used it. When go to the parks, I have a backpack with cameras and jackets so ready just in case weather decides to turn. Even if you pay attention to the weather forecast, when are they right? For us, what you call 'cold' weather is a typical summer day so we used to it. We laugh sometimes as we are in the park, we are in t-shirt and shorts and hot and people there are in their jackets and gloves turning blue. They look at us going aren't your freezing? Nope, its -30 back home so we loving this! You guys don't know cold. lol

Remember even going inside , isn't always warmer. Sure the wind is gone but not every place has heat. Three years ago we where there for Christmas week and DD and I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour at 8am the temperature at start time was 35* by the time we got to lunch at Columbia Harbor House everyone was ready for some heat! We went upstairs to our tables and man was it cold up there. Our tour guide told us they don't really build for heat because they would use it so infrequently. But the utilators (tunnels under MK), are nice and warm, once you get away from the entrances.
    Definitely wear layers! And wind breakers are good, it seems there is always a wind so if you just have a fleece the wind goes right thru.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It just cracks me up to see people in line for a rope drop at a WDW park dressed in shorts and tank tops, and the temps are in the 30's or 40's.
    Thats still shorts weather for me. Sure, I may be wearing a hoodie as well, but its just my variation on a theme of dressing in "layers."
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!