Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: 4 Days + 4 Parks + 4 Races = 48.6 miles. That's Dopey!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

4 Days + 4 Parks + 4 Races = 48.6 miles. That's Dopey!

4 Days + 4 Parks + 4 Races = 48.6 miles. That's Dopey! by Lorree Tachell

Contributing writer Lorree Tachell recaps the inaugural Walt Disney World Dopey Challenge

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Not Yet Assigned: 4 Days + 4 Parks + 4 Races = 48.6 miles. That's Dopey!

Congratulations on completing the Dopey Challenge. Having just completed all three races at the Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend I know the feeling when the alarm goes off at 3:15 and not wanting to go get up. One day I hope to be a Dopey finisher as well!

All I can say is: YOU'RE CRAZY! Of course, I'm not a runner, but I'll never understand why you'd go to WDW to see if you can make your feet feel even more tired than they would on a regular trip.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I'm with you, Gator. These Dopey people write about running--and always getting injured!--just to collect medals and buy merch. Well, while they're running at least the lines to the attractions are shorter! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    All I can say is: YOU'RE CRAZY! Of course, I'm not a runner, but I'll never understand why you'd go to WDW to see if you can make your feet feel even more tired than they would on a regular trip.
    For me, it's the fun of getting to do something I enjoy in a unique location. We get to run through the parks when they are essentially empty, and get to see characters that you hardly ever see otherwise.

I completed the 10K and the half marathon back to back over the weekend and that was plenty for me.

Congrats on finishing that! How awesome to say that you did it, and you were one of the first! I still have no desire to do a full, but the Dopey makes it almost tempting. I'm just hoping to do a Coast to Coast someday. I was surprised at how many people I saw during the Tinkerbell weekend walking around with Dopey shirts (and medals)!

Congrats!

Elizabeth & Matt, established 2008 *Katie born 2/2010 *Josie born 2/2012 *Jayson born 3/2015
    AP holder 2010-2016, Disneyland fan since the '80s
    WDW *1984 (or maybe 1983), *2013

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTwoCents View Post
    I'm with you, Gator. These Dopey people write about running--and always getting injured!--just to collect medals and buy merch. Well, while they're running at least the lines to the attractions are shorter! :-)
    Ahhh, but remember. We get to ride Everest during the marathon (single rider line)!
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbramsey1 View Post
    Congratulations on completing the Dopey Challenge. Having just completed all three races at the Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend I know the feeling when the alarm goes off at 3:15 and not wanting to go get up. One day I hope to be a Dopey finisher as well!
    I did all three Tinker Bell events as well and if I never hear another alarm clock at 3:15 a.m. again I'll be happy!

Hope you have an opportunity to join the Dopey club. Keep us posted on Team MousePlanet if you decided to give it a try.
    RunningFool

Congratulations for finishing! I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle - was it a stress fracture? Ugh! I can so relate to your early morning angst; when I returned home to share my race adventures, it was the early morning wake-up calls (I'm also a PST-zone girl) that I told people would likely prevent me from ever going Dopey again. But I have learned never to say never.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eabaldwin View Post
    Congrats on finishing that! How awesome to say that you did it, and you were one of the first! I still have no desire to do a full, but the Dopey makes it almost tempting. I'm just hoping to do a Coast to Coast someday. I was surprised at how many people I saw during the Tinkerbell weekend walking around with Dopey shirts (and medals)!

Congrats!
    Thank you! Frankly, I was pretty amazed at how many Dopey's made the trek to Disneyland myself. Guess since Tinker Bell is moving next year to May it was too tempting to see how many runDisney events you could complete in less than two weeks!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Congratulations for finishing! I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle - was it a stress fracture? Ugh! I can so relate to your early morning angst; when I returned home to share my race adventures, it was the early morning wake-up calls (I'm also a PST-zone girl) that I told people would likely prevent me from ever going Dopey again. But I have learned never to say never.
    Thank you! Ironically, the ankle is much better but the pain in my leg is apparently from an inflamed tendon which is extremely nasty. Really made for a crappy (and VERY SLOW) Tinker Bell weekend but the road to Tinker Bell half marathon legacy is still alive!

And yes, never say never. I'm looking at maybe giving the 5th anniversary Dopey a shot.
    RunningFool