Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Resistance

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are u sure they don't want to manage morning lines? It's been a month at DHS and there still are lines in the AM. Seems like there's no thought to modify the process.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

So I went to the park last Thursday to do some recon on the esplanade, security and parking around park closing time and security told me from that point they were open all night, no one was lining up yet and Toy Story parking was available all night. I set my alarm for 4am, I was well aware that as long as we were scanned into the park at 8am we would have just as much of a chance as anyone else but my fear was that the lines in the esplanade would be massive and slow moving.
    Got parked at Toy Story probably around 530am and in line in the esplanade at about 545am and the line was moving pretty quick, got scanned into the park within 10 minutes or so. Funnily enough Todd was in line behind me but I didn't want to bug him since he was livestreaming from the line. At this point there was about 2 hrs to kill so I instead of sitting in one place on main street I lined up for starbucks which was probably about 1 - 1.5 hrs. Normally I wouldn't wait but there was nothing else to do.
    As it got closer to 8a wife and I headed over to Star Tours to get in line to see the new RoS sequences but I didn't want to go into the building for fear of losing service. I got off the Disneyland wi-fi and had full bars on AT&T. Across from us there was a pretty big line of folks trying to get boarding groups via the fastpass system in front of Buzz.
    Finally 8a hit and we got boarding group 119 at 801am, with the big disclaimer that groups 82 and above could not be guaranteed a ride. My wife was pretty bummed, more so than me, but we decided to make a day of it, have fun and keep an eye on how fast the boarding groups moved throughout the day. Around 3 we left the parks for a target run and as I was watching for an hour the boarding groups were stuck on 69 for about an hour or so and around that time we got the push notification that our group would not be accommodated, but again, I decided to just keep watching how fast the groups were moving and have fun. We got back to the parks, rode a few rides, had dinner, hit up Oga's at 6 and by that time the boarding groups were moving pretty briskly again. We had an 810 reservation at Savi's and by this time the groups were moving so fast to the point where we were worried that we might be called and miss it. After Savi's we walked over to Rise and by this time it was close to 9p and the groups had stopped at 114 and stopped moving for quite a while. Lots of people were gathered around the entrance to Rise , talking to the cast members at the entrance. Lots of folks were walking away disappointed with different information spreading from cast members - no more boarding for the night, the ride is shutting down at 9 or 930.
    At this point it looked like we weren't going to get on but we decided to sit down near the entrance and wait a while longer. We talked to a group of eleven family members from Utah and the main mom of the group was politely making her case to the cast member that they were group 111 but weren't being let in even though they were boarding group 114 at the moment. The cast member relented and let them through and my wife and I sauntered in behind them, as if we were part of their group and we were through! I couldn't believe we were in line but I was still nervous that we wouldn't be able to ride, that there would be another check before we were let in. As we were in line a cast member said loudly - "if you are boarding group 115 but its not showing up on your app, don't be concerned, we are aware of the issue" so I held that info in my mind in case it was necessary. So the moment of truth came, one more app check by cast member before we were let in to the "base" part of the line. She checked the group of 11 in front of us, gave our app a quick look and said "ok just remove yourself from the virtual queue" and let us through. I couldn't believe it, we were in! At that point I figured they didn't care who or why anyone was able to get in line, as this was it for the evening. We were pretty much the last group of the night, only about 20-30 people behind us and that was it. Probably waited about 20-30 minutes in line before the experience (more than a ride) began and it was simply amazing and absolutely worth the wait. One thing I did notice was that the Kylo on the bridge was operating in B mode already, which I had seen people on social media posting about earlier in the day but that was about all that I noticed that wasn't functioning properly. In any case, can't wait to go again with my kids, friends and family!

Wow, NickP, that's quite some luck! Paying attention to your surroundings can certainly pay off :-) Fingers crossed that we make it in on Friday.

You can exit the park once you scan in, right? So I could scan my AP in, go through the turnstiles, then turn around and go back to the DTD Starbucks to wait around for the park opening time to hit?

Yes you can leave. All you have to do is have been scanned into Disneyland and be ready to grab your BG at park opening. I saw many comments from people that did similar and left to go to DTD or sat in the Grand as they waited for opening.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

We had a great experience yesterday! We arrive at Mickey and Friends about 6:20. Cars weren't moving and were lined up about three quarters of the length of the parking garage. Line started moving at 6:30 and we got through and parked quickly. Tram lines looked long, so we opted for the bridge walk and a Starbucks mobile order. Security was a breeze, almost no line. The lines in the esplanade were almost halfway across when we arrived just after 7. Lines weren't moving; they didn't let folks start going in until about 7:30, when it looked like the lines were approaching the DCA entrance. We made it in with about 15 minutes to spare and then just opted to stay in the park. We had three people, all with each other's passes linked to each account. I was inside the app already when 8am hit, we had another outside the app, and one on the Status page hitting refresh over and over. I was the successful one, we got Group 40. One person hit a "you need to update your app" message and was delayed long enough that he would've missed out entirely. We were stoked!

Group 40 was called about 11:40am, we got in line shortly after that and waited about 10-15 minutes to get to the first stage of the attraction. No delays or breakdowns, all smooth. We loved everything about it, but no spoilers here! I can't wait to go again!

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    We had a great experience yesterday! We arrive at Mickey and Friends about 6:20. Cars weren't moving and were lined up about three quarters of the length of the parking garage. Line started moving at 6:30 and we got through and parked quickly. Tram lines looked long, so we opted for the bridge walk and a Starbucks mobile order. Security was a breeze, almost no line. The lines in the esplanade were almost halfway across when we arrived just after 7. Lines weren't moving; they didn't let folks start going in until about 7:30, when it looked like the lines were approaching the DCA entrance. We made it in with about 15 minutes to spare and then just opted to stay in the park. We had three people, all with each other's passes linked to each account. I was inside the app already when 8am hit, we had another outside the app, and one on the Status page hitting refresh over and over. I was the successful one, we got Group 40. One person hit a "you need to update your app" message and was delayed long enough that he would've missed out entirely. We were stoked!

Group 40 was called about 11:40am, we got in line shortly after that and waited about 10-15 minutes to get to the first stage of the attraction. No delays or breakdowns, all smooth. We loved everything about it, but no spoilers here! I can't wait to go again!
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great day!

Blog Entries

for those not able to get to the park yet but want to partake in the excitement of getting a boarding group - many of the video bloggers out there are covering Saturday mornings. FreshBaked Disney's from 1-25 was such an interesting sight. people cheering so loudly in Town Square for each of their boarding groups. Its crazy - and now that parking is not open as early at Toy Story and more people have heard you need to be in the park before 8 the crowds are a little larger - especially on the weekends.

the cheering is so loud and goes on for a good 3 minutes solid. Its an event unto itself. Then about 5 min later Town Square got all quiet and nothing - a normal morning (though 1/25 turned out to be a busy day especially at DCA). Monday 1/27 regular boarding groups gone in 2 minutes and all boarding groups gone before 9:15am.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

I just got home from my 3 days in the parks; my issue was trying to figure out the timing of which page to be on at what time...apparently my phone's time was about 5-10 seconds ahead of DL's time. I tried all 3 days:

• 1/29: Boarding Group 67 at 8:01am; was called at 2:42pm (James rode instead of me and was off in 30mins)
    • 1/30: Boarding Group 98 at 9:01am (early entry at DL and many more people in the park than the day before); they called through BG 96 so I JUST MISSED OUT!
    • 1/31: Boarding Group 64 at 8am (entry lines at 7:20am all the way across the esplanade to DCA!); was called at 3:05pm and it took me nearly 35mins in the queue before I got to ride

One word about the new ride...AWESOME!!!

And it is pretty amazing to hear the roar of the people around you as they scored their boarding groups!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Blog Entries

Its not clear - but apparently ROTR was down for about 4 hours yesterday due to the weather outside (rain and strong wind). The word was from reports on the ground to the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge twitter and facebook that the unload area was unsafe due to the weather. I dont have any other information and I wonder if someone else does. If true then (at least in winter months) this could be a bummer...

Went with a buddy on Saturday and got Boarding Group 46 and were on about 11am. Can't wait to go again with my boys, just an amazing experience.

Blog Entries

Btw I did ride Friday the 7th. Walked in, left for Starbucks, but had a little trouble and got group 76. 430 pm recall time. Got back to he park and in the queue by 515. One of the kylo scenes was down so we got a video instead.

I have read there are data sites now doing analytics in how healthy the ride operation is. That's neat.

It's still a 2 hour return time once the boarding group gets called?
    ETA: Daughter got group 44, but they didn't start calling boarding groups until almost 10 this morning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    It's still a 2 hour return time once the boarding group gets called?
    ETA: Daughter got group 44, but they didn't start calling boarding groups until almost 10 this morning.
    yes - thats what I had last Friday. The notification on the app should tell you when the deadline time is.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    yes - thats what I had last Friday. The notification on the app should tell you when the deadline time is.
    Thanks. She sent me a text asking what they do if they have a reservation when their time gets called and I thought it was 2 hours. They thought it was 1. While waiting for someone to answer I read back through the thread and told her I thought the app should tell her when their group got called.

are the boarding times still all gone within 5 min?

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    are the boarding times still all gone within 5 min?
    They got 44 at 8:02. I'd say yes.

Blog Entries

For weekends and days Disneyland has magic mornings all groups go pretty quickly. On min magic weekdays the backup boarding groups are still available for up to 20 or 30 min sometimes. All the primary boarding groups are gone in 1 minute and each day

I could be mistaken, but I believe it is a 2 hour window for "regular" boarding groups and a 1 hour window for "backup" boarding groups.

I went yesterday -- we were a group of four and I got Boarding Group 20 (YAY!). Boarding for the day didn't begin until just before 12:30, so something must have been going wrong with the ride. We were worried it wouldn't ever begin, but luckily it did! We were called fairly quickly and given a two-hour window to return. Everything was functional (I think) and our wait was short (10 minutes, I'd guess?).

Blog Entries

Nice. When I rode it was a 30 min wait in line but that's after operating for 8 hours or so.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Nice. When I rode it was a 30 min wait in line but that's after operating for 8 hours or so.

Still not too bad! I saw tweets from people saying they were in line for over an hour because of breakdowns while they were already in line. Yeesh.

I'm going with a group on Sunday and taking two kiddos with us (one almost 5 and one almost 4), so here's hoping for a smooth experience!

Does anyone know if theres a limit on how large your linked party can be? We have a family of 8 coming in two weeks. I havent found anywhere a discussion or rule on that.

Quote Originally Posted by emgm View Post
    Does anyone know if theres a limit on how large your linked party can be? We have a family of 8 coming in two weeks. I havent found anywhere a discussion or rule on that.
    You'll be fine, we had 12.

Maybe this has already been covered but we have anual passes and thus don't have an early morning. So if the park has an early morning entry at 7 AM I am thinking Disney does not start the boarding group sign ups until the park actually opens say at 8 AM?

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Maybe this has already been covered but we have anual passes and thus don't have an early morning. So if the park has an early morning entry at 7 AM I am thinking Disney does not start the boarding group sign ups until the park actually opens say at 8 AM?
    It starts at park opening just as Fastpasses do. So there is no advantage to being in the parks during those mornings really.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"