Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - *****SPOILER***** thread - you've been warned

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - *****SPOILER***** thread - you've been warned

So we can talk freely! Sorry, I'm gonna ramble a bit. Feel free to join in!

Shortpix77 mentioned being disappointed that they used Rose so little in the new film. I was as well, especially since we didn't get any explanation. I mean, she was in very intense peril last time we saw her. Guess she's ok. They did that with a lot of stuff, just pretty much ignored it. We saw Luke's lightsabre being destroyed, and we saw that Rey had the pieces, but yeah, it would have been nice to either see or at least hear about how it was put back together. I presume Rey did it? Or did Leia? I also didn't like Luke's abrupt turn - he was wrong. OK. And where'd that come from?

OK, stuff I loved:

1. Wedge!!!!! I cheered when I saw him.

2. One of my favorite images from The Force Awakens is Rey eating her bread and then putting on the x-wing pilot helmet. I love that they paid that off by actually putting her in an x-wing, Luke's no less. Loved hearing Red Five called on again.

3. Loved the verbal sparring between Rey and Poe about BB-8 and the Falcon.

I tortured a friend last night that I was texting with after she'd seen the film by asking her what Finn was going to say to Rey when they thought they were going to die. She'd forgotten about that.

Finn to Rey: I'll tell you later.
    Poe: When I'm not here?

The tone of Poe's delivery of that line was terrific.

Brutal - Chewie's reaction upon finding out about Leia.

I hadn't expected to see Han at all. Friend speculated that Han's scene was originally supposed to be Leia's scene but they had to re-think it after Carrie died. That makes sense, though I was happy to see Han. I was wondering if there would be a family picture at the end with Han, Leia and Ben, but that didn't happen. It was nice to see Luke and Leia again at least.

Speaking of which, since Carrie died, I've wanted to know what the original story was going to be, and what they had to change because she wasn't available to shoot any more scenes. I don't know that we'll ever find out.

After the movie, we jokingly wondered how long it would take for Leia's lightsabre and Rey's new lightsabre to show up at Dok Ondar's. Friend mentioned that they do have 2 new lightsabres there, but it's Ben's and the put-back-together-from-Luke's-old-one.

Question: After the fight on the old Death Star between Rey and Kylo, and Rey takes off with his ship, how does Kylo get off?

I'm not entirely comfortable with the revelation about Hux being the traitor. I at least like that the explanation was that he just wanted Kylo Ren to fail, but I'm not sure I buy that his anger at him is enough for him to turn on the First Order.

I thought both of the new women characters were kind of shoved in. I would have liked to have seen more of them, though I did like the story point that there were many others like Finn, who were taken as children and forced to be soldiers. And I'm REALLY glad they didn't even hint at Finn being related to Lando. Not sure how I feel about Lando being in it. I mean, yeah, it was great to see Billy Dee, but Lando's appearance seemed a bit forced.

I'm still processing Rey being a Palpatine. That's gonna take a while. But I loved her look when Rey was fighting herself, especially Rey with the hissing Palpatine expression. That was cool.

I'm sad that there are no Skywalkers left.

I saw the film in 3D because we wanted to go to a particular marquee theatre, and they happened to be showing it in 3D. The 3D glasses never fit over mine, so I'm always messing with it during the movie and it's distracting. I have a ticket to see the film again in IMAX next week.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Oh, and I forgot, I wasn't keen on the cursory appearance of the Knights of Ren, without any explanation about them. And then they were summarily disposed of. Or at least some of them. Were there more?

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

OK, so saw it a second time tonight, so have 2 minor thoughts on some of your wonderings.

1) I suspect maybe part of why we didn't get a good story about the re-assembly of the lightsaber may be because of how they re-used Carrie's footage from TFA (assuming that is literally true, and not just that they had green screen footage that was severely manipulated for this movie). I'm wondering if many of the early scenes in this movie of Rey training with Leia's guidance were originally filmed specifically for TFA, meant to be shown before Rey went on her way to meet Luke, and since that would have happened before the lightsaber was broken in TLJ, obviously there was no good way to incorporate showing it re-built (my theory being these just didn't make it out of editing (probably time constraints) in TFA, a lucky coincidence to help with footage for this movie due to Carrie's passing). I could be 100% of base, but it might sort of make sense if they had originally intended in TFA for Rey to train a little with Leia before she went off to meet Luke.

2) While it's obviously not shown where he gets it, they clearly show a standard TIE Fighter landed next to Rey's X-Wing when Kylo (now Ben, I guess at this point) arrives at Exogal. They don't show where he got it, but maybe he managed to find enough pieces from damaged TIEs on the wreakage of DS II to make one good one (it's not a terrible stretch to imagine he could use the force to manipulate the pieces so he could replace a wing section of he had one missing a right wing, one missing a left wing, and a decent center section from one of them, right?)

I am sure I totally imagined it or just had a wrong memory, but when I saw it in 3d, I thought when Palpatine said "I am every Sith", Rey's response was "And I am all the Jedi" (so as to make the line just slightly different). When I just saw it in regular (well, Dolby Cinema, but not 3d is my point), the lines were equivalent "I am every Sith/Jedi")

I may think of more. I need to see it probably at least once or twice more before it leaves theaters.

-Dave

I thought about how Kylo Ren gets off the moon and ends up on Exogol without a wayfinder. They do show him in a TIE. I guess you just have to assume he had a way to contact the First Order and they picked him up. Maybe Rey was broadcasting the course to him too. Or you just have to suspend some disbelief there.

Since Leia had her own lightsaber, I assume she would know how to reconstruct one. I read an article that basically went over everything that Rian Johnson put into TLJ that JJ Abrams changed or disregarded. That may have been one of them. It wasn't convenient for the story, so just have the lightsaber and don't waste time (it was already 144 minutes) explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I thought about how Kylo Ren gets off the moon and ends up on Exogol without a wayfinder. They do show him in a TIE. I guess you just have to assume he had a way to contact the First Order and they picked him up. Maybe Rey was broadcasting the course to him too. Or you just have to suspend some disbelief there.
    I just assumed that the wayfinder was only needed for finding it the first time. After that, he knew where it was. Of course, that does bring up the question of why he was still carrying it around in his ship instead of storing it away somewhere safe...
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    I just assumed that the wayfinder was only needed for finding it the first time. After that, he knew where it was. Of course, that does bring up the question of why he was still carrying it around in his ship instead of storing it away somewhere safe...
    There was a line before they realize that Rey is transmitting a course about gravity wells and solar winds. I thing it implies that a wayfinder is more than the location, but also the specific course one needs to navigate.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    1) I suspect maybe part of why we didn't get a good story about the re-assembly of the lightsaber may be because of how they re-used Carrie's footage from TFA
    I didn't need to get a whole story or even scene about rebuilding the lightsabre. A couple lines from Rey would have sufficed. Considering we last saw it mangled and in pieces, some explanation would have been nice. And if Leia had helped re-build it, it would have given more credence to her having force abilities, since the whole "flashback" scene with her training to be a Jedi after having apparently built her own lightsabre was suddenly thrown on us in the ninth film of a saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    2) While it's obviously not shown where he gets it, they clearly show a standard TIE Fighter landed next to Rey's X-Wing when Kylo (now Ben, I guess at this point) arrives at Exogal. They don't show where he got it, but maybe he managed to find enough pieces from damaged TIEs on the wreakage of DS II to make one good one
    Yeah, when I saw it the second time, I noticed the TIE fighter parked next to Luke's/Rey's x-wing, so that's clearly what he arrived it. I don't like that they make the viewer come up with some way that he acquired it - maybe he actually found an intact ship in what was left of the destroyed Death Star. I still think it's sloppy to make the viewer come up with a plausible explanation.

The second time I saw the film, I saw it in IMAX, and I really enjoyed being able to watch Daisy's and Adam's performances. Both were fantastic, even though many times, they weren't technically in the same scene together. I also appreciated actually being able to see Adam's face instead of just hearing his voice through the mask.

I noticed this the second time I saw the film and confirmed it the third time I saw it - at the end, after the new Final Order's star destroyer fleet is destroyed, we see one of them crashing down on Jakuu, next to the ruins of a previously-crashed star destroyer and a previously-crashed x-wing. (We'd seen them because Rey sped past them in TFA.) And it made me wonder how close Exogal was to Jakuu if a ship from that area crashlanded on Jakuu.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post

I noticed this the second time I saw the film and confirmed it the third time I saw it - at the end, after the new Final Order's star destroyer fleet is destroyed, we see one of them crashing down on Jakuu, next to the ruins of a previously-crashed star destroyer and a previously-crashed x-wing. (We'd seen them because Rey sped past them in TFA.) And it made me wonder how close Exogal was to Jakuu if a ship from that area crashlanded on Jakuu.
    I thought I recognized the same landscape as well.

As to if it was one of the Final Order fleet, do we know it wasn't one of the regular First Order ships? Weren't some of them still spread around the galaxy?

Interesting thought though, if Rey was that close to Exogal and the Emperor all those years!

Think I need to see a third time before it leaves theaters. I might try for regular IMAX at my local theater this weekend if it's still showing in that format.

So also, regarding the wayfinder comments above, those are good questions. I wonder if being a strong force user was enough for him to "feel his way" around all the pitfalls after doing it one time with the wayfinder.
    -Dave