Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Price hike winter 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    Welp, this price hike might actually kill APs for me. Mine is good through November, so I'll think on it and do some math in the meantime. My daughter turns 3 in April, so I'll cram in as many free visits as possible before then. I have Signature, but that extra $150 is hard to swallow. I'm going to look back at the calendar and see just how many visits I got out of that, and of those how many I brought the kiddo along for. Then I'll do some hard math on how many visits I feel I'll "need" after the pass expires, and how many I think I'd bring the kiddo on. Le sigh. No renewal discount, big price hike, and an extra AP to buy? It's just a lot. I love some Disney, but I may just have to decide that we'll get day tickets every few months, and take advantage of the Socal deal when/if it recurs. And of course the CHOC Walk tickets... hmmmmm....
    We let our passes expire a few years ago and it was the right decision for our family. Before, we would get there early and leave around lunch time, around once per month. Now, when we go we plan to make a full day of it, including sometimes staying at a local hotel. We probably still go less overall as compared to when we had passes, but as the kids get older, there are a lot of other activities that fill our weekends, including sometimes just staying home and watching TV/ playing on the computers.

We had Knotts Berry Farm passes for two years after we stopped renewing our Disneyland APs and we didn't bother to renew those this year. We may try Universal Studios. As the kids are older, we may consider passes to Magic Mountain next year. We definitely have more money in our discretionary entertainment budget than we would if we had 4 APs - which we've spent on trips to other Disney parks worldwide. So when I'm being honest to myself, this was the right decision for our family. It's been hard though, my husband and I had annual passes for over 20 years before we let them expire. There was a bit of a grieving process to not renewing.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    We let our passes expire a few years ago and it was the right decision for our family. Before, we would get there early and leave around lunch time, around once per month. Now, when we go we plan to make a full day of it, including sometimes staying at a local hotel. We probably still go less overall as compared to when we had passes, but as the kids get older, there are a lot of other activities that fill our weekends, including sometimes just staying home and watching TV/ playing on the computers.

We had Knotts Berry Farm passes for two years after we stopped renewing our Disneyland APs and we didn't bother to renew those this year. We may try Universal Studios. As the kids are older, we may consider passes to Magic Mountain next year. We definitely have more money in our discretionary entertainment budget than we would if we had 4 APs - which we've spent on trips to other Disney parks worldwide. So when I'm being honest to myself, this was the right decision for our family. It's been hard though, my husband and I had annual passes for over 20 years before we let them expire. There was a bit of a grieving process to not renewing.
    Thanks for the perspective. There is also still the possibility that I'll renew mine and just not get a pass for the kiddo. I take her a lot, but I also do "adult" days on my own, with my mom, or with friends. Since I also have the parking and photopass included, it's hard to want to give up those extra perks. Lots of thinking and math to do.

It's also hard to analyze the math now that the value/regular/peak days have come into play. Is there anywhere that shows an archive calendar of value/regular/peak days? The Disneyland site only shows upcoming days, from what I can tell. I know they can change, but having some idea would be helpful.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

It's also hard to analyze the math now that the value/regular/peak days have come into play. Is there anywhere that shows an archive calendar of value/regular/peak days? The Disneyland site only shows upcoming days, from what I can tell. I know they can change, but having some idea would be helpful.
    You can look at past Disneyland Resort Updates - I've included the flex season info on the calendar since it debuted.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

... Since I also have the parking and photopass included, it's hard to want to give up those extra perks. Lots of thinking and math to do...
    This is where we're at right now, too. Thankfully, we still have months until our renewal window opens up, but we're trying to factor in and prepare for what will undoubtedly be a monster increase (or two??) next year in addition to this year. Plus, there are the unknown pass changes that are still to be announced. Lot and lots of math and spreadsheets and discussion ahead...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in the same boat as teafortwo and shortpix77. My window though is March to April 26. I doubt the additional changes will be announced by then but I'm agreeing with the thoughts that all extras will be removed from all passes (except maybe sigplus). I'm also thinking a second increase this year, and two next year, is highly likely at this point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Crap! It just went down to 364 days. I'll have to call tomorrow morning. If they are going to start the clock ticking the minute you buy an AP online now, I'll have to ask for a refund as we won't be able to go again until December.
    I just called and the CM assured me the passes won't actually "activate" until we make our first visit. She said the 1 year duration of the passes would then start at that point. I emailed them as well, just so I have something in writing.
    There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by seattlenerd View Post
    Thanks. In Seattle, no local grocery stores/retailers sell Disneyland tickets, as far as I know. But I'll check and see if Get Away Today's hard stock is good through the end of 2018.
    I spoke with Get Away Today this morning, and confirmed that the ParkHoppers they're still selling at 2017 prices are indeed good through 12/31/2018. But it's important to make sure you order "hard stock" (that is, paper tickets) and not e-tickets. Easy to check for that when you put the item in your cart; it'll say "hard stock" in the item description. But the invoice after purchase isn't as specific, so it's good to verify at the time of buying.

Sadly this is probably our last year with the hike that showed up for what we get. Its either that or drop down in pass. Which depending on how that works out math wise as well might be the option. We don't have to think about it until Dec though. Which I am so glad that extra month was tacked on when we renewed in Nov.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Sadly this is probably our last year with the hike that showed up for what we get. Its either that or drop down in pass.
    DH I and talked about it last night -- maybe it is a blessing in disguise and we can go back to the parks being more of a magical experience again vs. a monthly trip -- and we just pay and go three times a year and overnight it. It's hard because when I was young I always wanted to be able to go whenever I want (worked great when I was single, a little harder now as a family of three)
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Blog Entries

i know this is a pitty party comment about myself - but as the MP pointed out in today's update - losing the 50 renewal discount and paying 150 more for signature is like a 200 increase. over the price from last year (renewal was 799) that's a 25% increase this year in reality. Wow...

In my observation - many of the days with significant blackouts were quite crowded compared to what was thought to be strictly an AP problem. The marketing machine is working quite well for standard guest attendance increases. This, and all of the changes to tiered pricing (and new blackouts) may mean there needs to be a revamp of crowd forecasts in the future. Its not as simple as "a passholder problem". Maybe it still is to most these days but from what I see in the parks (and hear from the languages) they standard guest attendance is up. If this works (higher guest attendance and lower passholder attendance) they may get more aggressive in pricing and limitations in order to hasten the revenue increases.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    You can look at past Disneyland Resort Updates - I've included the flex season info on the calendar since it debuted.
    Awesome, thanks AVP!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlenerd View Post
    I spoke with Get Away Today this morning, and confirmed that the ParkHoppers they're still selling at 2017 prices are indeed good through 12/31/2018. But it's important to make sure you order "hard stock" (that is, paper tickets) and not e-tickets. Easy to check for that when you put the item in your cart; it'll say "hard stock" in the item description. But the invoice after purchase isn't as specific, so it's good to verify at the time of buying.
    They are selling at the old price until 2/20 according to their IG post yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    They are selling at the old price until 2/20 according to their IG post yesterday.
    Yes, they confirmed that, and it's posted on their home page. But the hard stock (physical tickets) can provide more flexibility if one's travel plans aren't yet firm, which is why I prefer it. That's why it's good to know they have it, too.

I wish they would add an option at DL that allowed you to buy multi-day tickets that have a 1 year fuse rather than 14 days, possibly instead of the less expensive passes. For example a 5 day annual pass. If you pre-purchased a limited number of visits rather than being able to go "whenever" it might also cut down on overcrowding and be more manageable for the average family to afford.

At least parking has gone up ... yet.

Some clarification please if you're able ...

If I'm lucky enough to find Deluxe AP's at the old price at my local Disney Store, are they likely to have a "Activate by Dec. 31" fuse on them?

And what are my options for parking? If I'm reading the updates correctly there is no longer a parking add on so I'm guessing my best bet is to purchase at least one signature pass at the old price (assuming I can find one) for the "included parking" .... ? Input? Thoughts?

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Some clarification please if you're able ...

If I'm lucky enough to find Deluxe AP's at the old price at my local Disney Store, are they likely to have a "Activate by Dec. 31" fuse on them?

And what are my options for parking? If I'm reading the updates correctly there is no longer a parking add on so I'm guessing my best bet is to purchase at least one signature pass at the old price (assuming I can find one) for the "included parking" .... ? Input? Thoughts?
    I was told last year that Disney stores no longer sell AP's. They told me only in person at the resort, or online now.

End of year usually, says on the card. Check Von's. I haven't looked at Safeway in awhile so I don't know if they still carry them.
    Yes to your question. There is no parking add on anymore. Oh and Hi MM! I hope you can swing them. I've missed your trip reports. I bet the kids have grown like crazy.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Yes...I bought Deluxe AP cards at my local Disney Store a couple of months ago, and they said on the back of them that they had to be activated by the end of 2018; however, Disney Store CMs tend to pull stock even BEFORE the increases go into effect so it's probably impossible to buy them there at the old prices now.

End of year usually, says on the card. Check Von's. I haven't looked at Safeway in awhile so I don't know if they still carry them.
    I haven't seen APs at Safeway up here locally in a few years; they usually only have 1 & 2-day tickets that I've seen.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

On the Disneyland app for my ticket under the renewing a pass it still has enjoy a discount when you renew up to 40 days before your Passport expiration date. I still have 63 days right now.

Found them at the mall Disney store. For the parking, 1 Signature and 4 Deluxes at the old prices ... savings of about $590 dollars over the new prices. What a “bargain”.

Activate by Dec. 31. We’re losing two weeks off our 2018 summer due to adjustments in our district’s calendar, so we won’t be activating anytime soon.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Found them at the mall Disney store...
    So glad you managed to find them! We've missed your trip reports, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    however, Disney Store CMs tend to pull stock even BEFORE the increases go into effect so it's probably impossible to buy them there at the old prices now.
    I lucked out. Called the store back tonight on DMIL's account to check on availability. They have 4 Deluxe's left and will sell them through the close of business tonight and that's a wrap. Tomorrow morning the newly priced ones will be the only available.

Oh and Hi MM! I hope you can swing them. I've missed your trip reports. I bet the kids have grown like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    So glad you managed to find them! We've missed your trip reports, too!
    Thank you. We've missed the parks! Had a three dayer in late April planned with the local 3-day promo they're running. Lodging and the whole nine. With the expense we incurred today, that trip is now cancelled.

There was a time when we'd take 6 months off between AP's which had less to do with expense and more to do with burnout. As prices climbed, we'd go a year at a time without AP's. Speaking of the trip reports, I just looked back at my last entry and was shocked to find if we hold out for activation until December 2018, it will have been THREE years since our most recent visit. The entire day today I had myself thinking it'd be just two.

Got a reply about the countdown on our new passes that were immediately linked to the mobile app:

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland Resort.

"The date that you are seeing in the app is the activate by date for the passes. The app is counting down because you are nearing the activate by date with every day that passes. You have one year from the time of purchase to pick up the annual passport. The 12 months of use on the annual pass does not begin until the day that you use your pass to enter the parks. However, payment(s) begin at the time of purchase.

Thank you for contacting Disney! Have a magical day!"

I paid for the passes in full, but apparently it works the same way on the monthly payment plan, or payment in full. I would have done the payment plan had I known. Oh well-It's a done deal now.

Blog Entries

Adding one more observation to passholder changes. The blockout days for holidays really impacts Signature this year too. They shifted the two week window slightly. So now you are blocked from Saturday Dec 22nd through Saturday Jan 5th. You will have one day (like the deluxe passes) to go back and see holiday stuff before its done. Last year I believe the cutoff was Dec 17th and Signature was allowed to return starting January 2nd. I cant tell if its just because Christmas falls early in the week - or if this is the new plan going forward (keep em all out until the very end of the window - except for sig plus). So plan your holiday visits accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by bielski View Post
    I wish they would add an option at DL that allowed you to buy multi-day tickets that have a 1 year fuse rather than 14 days, possibly instead of the less expensive passes. For example a 5 day annual pass. If you pre-purchased a limited number of visits rather than being able to go "whenever" it might also cut down on overcrowding and be more manageable for the average family to afford.

At least parking has gone up ... yet.
    I continue to wonder if this is the direction Disney may be heading. Per the OC Register article on the price hike:

We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxys Edge in 2019, [Resort Spokeswoman Suzi] Brown said Friday in a prepared statement. Despite this change, Brown said that the number of annual passholders has quadrupled over the last 20 years, though she declined to provide the numbers. The average passholder visits the park 10 times per year, she said, though there are fans who visit much more often. Generally, the accepted number of passholders has been thought to be around 1 million for Disneyland, though Disney has never confirmed that number.
    I currently look at the So-Cal tickets as a hybrid semi-annual pass that is only good for 3 visits. It at least lets me think that I have an 'almost' annual pass for a few months each year. And our family is lucky enough to have a DVC membership that gives us a lot of the annual pass discounts.

WDW used to have a 10 day pass, it was the "no expiration option" and they got rid of it a few years ago. I suppose now that it's gone, it would be easier for them to introduce a pass with a fixed number of visits that expire at the end of a set period (either calendar or 6/12 months from 1st purchase)