Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terri - A boy and his mom - Aug 3-9, 2008 - Pop Century

Terri - A boy and his mom - Aug 3-9, 2008 - Pop Century

Title sounds kinda funny ... Here's the cast of characters!

A boy - Sean, 14, son of a Disneyland fanatic and nice enough to share the enthusiasm!
    his mom - Terri, 48, grew up in the shadow of the materhorn, disney employee 1976 - 1978, and a Disney dreamer!

Event: our first trip EVER to WDW!!!

When: August 3 - 9, 2008 (with driving days 8/1-3 & 8/9-11)

Where: Pop Century - primarily so we can afford everything else that's Disney!

I'm liking these pre-trip reports and intend to add to this thread as my planning continues. I've just finished paying for the trip through AAA and am thrilled! (I'm at work...and just had to tell somebody!)

I've got a ton planned...and am looking forward to combining all my ideas with all your advice and having the trip of a lifetime!

so...more to come...

What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding? - Elvis Costello

2. # ADS

I can't wait to read more about your pre-trip plans!

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Can't wait to read about it. I, too, booked through AAA.

So here's the plans...

August 1 & 2 - depart home and drive toward WDW. (I don't have this part down yet - I just know I'm expecting about 2.5 days so we can see some of the area we're driving through!)

Oh...forgot to mention we have 7 day park hopper tickets and the basic dining plan.

August 3 - arrive at WDW around 11AM - check into POP. We are paying for a standard room and I haven't figured out what buildings that gives us. I understand we can ask for an upgrade if one is available...hmmm...

Once we've checked in and gotten our tickets, it's off to Animal Kingdom! Since it's our first trip - we're really not sure what we're going to like more or less. Even though Sean and I are animal people, we're expecting to be more epcot and magic kingdom...we'll see though...

We're hoping to do: Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Kali river rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Maharajah Jungle Trek, The Oasis, Pangani Forest Experience trail, Primeval Whirl and The tree of Life and Trails. Is this possible in 7 hours?

Lunch...Flame Tree Barbque
    Dinner...we have reservations at Yak & Yeti

Then...back to hotel, find our room, check out the Pop and call it a night.

August 4 - Epcot! grab breakfast at Pop and find our bus. Epcot opens at 9 and closes at 9pm. Our hopes for today may be a little extreme - so...what ever we don't get to, we'll have a second chance later in the week. Here's the Epcot plan in no particular order: all the different countries, Club Cool, Gran Fiesta Tour, Maelstrom, Soarin', Test Track.
    Lunch? I have no idea.
    Dinner - Rose & Crown at 7:30...we're hoping for patio seating and a view of illuminations!
    Then...slowly walk to the bus and back to hotel for some sleep.

August 5 - Oh yeah!!! my favorite Day!!! We're off to the Magic Kingdom!!! ( I know it's bigger, more spread out, etc. but it's the closest to my home than any other park!!!) And it's extra magic hours for the evening so we're there from 9AM until...can this be right? ... 3AM?????? Like that's going to happen!!
    So here's what I want to do on this day. More than anything - I HAVE TO DO THESE THREE THINGS! Country Bear Jamborie, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress! I miss those so much and was so excited when I heard they were at WDW. All that's missing are the buckets! (so ... who gets that reference?!) The other activities: Astro Obiter, Big thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Jungle cruise, Mickey's PhilarMagic, Monsters, Inc Laugh Floor, Pirates of the caribbean, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, stich's Great Escape, Tiki Room, tom Sawyer Island, Railroad.
    Lunch? not sure...
    dinner? reservations at Liberty tree - probably our last character meal - I did mention Sean's 14, right?

August 6 - if we wake up (heeeeeheeeee) we're off to disney Hollywood Studios. Extra magic evening hours again! Plans for today include: The Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt, Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, Muppet Vision 3-D, One Man's dream, Rock n Roller coaster, Star tours, Studios Backlot Tour, toy Story Mania, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
    Lunch...again...not sure.
    dinner? 50's prime time cafe!

I don't forsee us spending forever here. But I do know we will want to do ToT and Rock N Roller Coaster a few times so, that' take up a few hours!
    We'll probably spend some time on this day at the hotel...maybe sleeping or swimming...

August 7...Back to Epcot! Enjoy everything we may have missed, everything we loved, and everything we may have decided we really should have done. Dinner is at LeCellier Steakhouse. this is another kick back and just enjoy day.

August 8...Wrap up our last full time day at the Magic Kingdom. I've been known to spend 5 straight days at disneyland on any given SoCal vacation, so I can't imagine not spending our last full day at it's sister in Florida. Dinner is at tony's town square. They will have to drag me out when the day is over.

August 9 - I don't know what we'll do. Probably something easy. check out and maybe head over to Animal Kingdom - I can see that as a good finish. Though I know Sean also wants to hit downtown disney at some point. Theoretically, we need to start heading home. But...I don't have to be back to work until the 13th, so we have a little time. Even if we just get an hour or two down the road before we sleep, we'll be on our way.

So...how does this sound? Is it possible to do what I propose?

I have the Passporter, the unofficial guide, the little black book, and a couple of imagineer books on the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

I also bought a pal mickey for fun on ebay. So I'm hoping to have his programming updated at Animal Kingdom. If not, I do know there's a location in MK - I would like to do it earlier than later!

So...what does everyone think?

Sounds like fun, but one question-- Are you planning to take rest breaks in the middle of the day, or just tough it out through the late afternoon and early evening? I ask because August can be super sweltering hot, and shuffling along en masse, shoulder to shoulder with other folks seems to go hand in hand with hot days. For that reason, I usually avoid late afternoons. We leave the parks by around 2:00, go back to the hotel for a swim and a nap (or just to collapse for a 3-4 hours) and head back to a park around 6:00 or 7:00 PM. If you have park hopper passes and can burn the candle at both ends, hit the early-entry park when it opens (early), get out of Dodge by 1:00 or 2:00, and then head to the evening extra hours park later on.

Just my thoughts.... Depends on your (and your son's) personal stamina level. I love the Unofficial Guide, and one of its most useful tips, is arrive early, take a nice long break when the crowds start moving like a herd of cattle (my son-- a "Sean" also! likes to make cow sounds when this starts to happen), and then be rested and ready to close the place down.

Leslie

oddly enough...I hadn't considered that part except during the day at DS and second day at Epcot.

Is it pratical to see what we want to see AND use the park hopper? I think my thought on this was to utilize it after the first few days (all day at AK, 1st dat at Epcot, all day at MK - then...after that consider taking the breaks and park hopping and such.) I haven't factored any of that in. I guess I'm just so afraid of missing out on something...but a nap already sounds very good...

This is why this pre-trip report is awesome!!! It comes with helpful hints from people who already know the game and the best way to play. thanks for the hint! I'd love to hear what others do and if my goals for each park are truly attainable in one day including a break!

Oh...our ADR times are:
    Yak & Yeti - 5pm
    rose & crown - 7:30pm
    Liberty Tree - 6pm
    50's prime time - 5pm
    Le Cellier - 5 pm
    tony's town square - 6pm

new addition!

I just pre-purchased the Disney Photo Pass! I'm really excited about this. In the past, we've either limited our picture purchases, or simply skipped out on even looking at them because of the lines. But not this time. I intend on hunting down all the photographers we can and get scads of pictures taken. It's so hard when there's only the two of us - mostly I get pictures of my son and then maybe one or two of me. Not that I'm vain, but it would be nice to look back on the trip and see that I was there too!

We're just 3.5 months away from our trip! YEAH

Terri, my son and I are heading down August 16th, it sounds like you have a good plan going on your pre-trip. I know you will enjoy your trip to WDW. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

111 times to WDW 2 times to Disneyland

I am loving all these pre trip reports. Keep it coming, I am living vicariously
    thru all of you

Congrats on your planning. Just to Piggy back on what others have said- I have been to Disney in August multiple times, and it is HOT!!! I strongly suggest taking an afternoon break. I just finished making a list of "cool down spots" in all the parks for my trip in may. I can send it to you if you want, if taking an afternoon break is out of the question!!!

Edit- You didn't mention seeing Fantasmic! at Disney Studios. GREAT Show for all ages. I strongly recommend it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
    Congrats on your planning. Just to Piggy back on what others have said- I have been to Disney in August multiple times, and it is HOT!!! I strongly suggest taking an afternoon break. I just finished making a list of "cool down spots" in all the parks for my trip in may. I can send it to you if you want, if taking an afternoon break is out of the question!!!

Edit- You didn't mention seeing Fantasmic! at Disney Studios. GREAT Show for all ages. I strongly recommend it!!!!
    I would LOVE a copy of the list! please - it would be wonderful to have.

About Fantasmic! - I am a total veteran of Disneyland and have seen the show, at least 30 times. My son is adament about not seeing it this time. He wants to keep that at Disneyland and have Illuminations be the show at WDW. I'm fine either way.

No problem! Can I just PM it to you? Are there PM's on this board? I'm too new!

Sounds like its gonna be an awesome trip! I hope you have fun!

Katie

WDW -- '95 '97 '98 '99 '00 '02 '03 '05 '06 '09

My latest in planning this trip? I signed up to tourguidemike and am LOVING his site! This is exactly how I would tell people to take on disneyland (I grew up in that park) and am thrilled to have another "insider" give me hints on how to better enjoy my 1st trip to WDW.

What else is out there?????

there is a really fun website/forum...disneytrivia.com i believe it is. It's a forum also. I was doing trivia last night to pass the time away!!! It's great for something to do when all you want to do is go to disney!!!

CBR-1990/PoR-1992/AsMu-1996/Offsite-2000/PoR-DCL-2001/AkL-DCL-2003/BDWLK-2006/AsMu-2007/ALSpOrTs-2008
    Next: AKL 07/09!!!!!!!

How early??

Does anyone know how early you can arrive at your hotel and receive your tickets etc? I don't expect a room to be ready for me, but I'm thinking of arriving around 9AM. I'd like to get a start on our vacation ASAP and expect to drive from Biloxi to a cheap hotel just outside the park - sleep tight, wake up, nice breakfast, then head for POP.

Anyone?????

You can arrive @ the hotel anytime--get your tickets, meal plan, whatever else is pertinent to your trip. But with the understanding that your actual room may or may not be ready.

If it's not ready yet, you'll be given a phone number to call later in the day, from the park, from downtown Disney, from wherever, and @ that point they will give you your room number. When you return from your park visit (or whatever) you simply go straight to your room, without having to go back to the check-in desk.

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" -- Donald Duck

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in TN View Post
    You can arrive @ the hotel anytime--get your tickets, meal plan, whatever else is pertinent to your trip. But with the understanding that your actual room may or may not be ready.

If it's not ready yet, you'll be given a phone number to call later in the day, from the park, from downtown Disney, from wherever, and @ that point they will give you your room number. When you return from your park visit (or whatever) you simply go straight to your room, without having to go back to the check-in desk.
    Really!?! that's so cool! Do they also deliver your luggage to the room while you are out playing in the parks?

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    Really!?! that's so cool! Do they also deliver your luggage to the room while you are out playing in the parks?
    Well, if you've flown in to Orlando & ridden Disney's Magical Express from the airport, they will deliver your luggage to your room. But if you haven't, you can either leave your bags with bell services, and call for them to deliver when you get back to your room, or just leave your bags in your car & take them yourself when you get there.
    "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" -- Donald Duck

We'll be there August 3rd and 4th! August 3rd is actually my birthday, so we're definitely doing Magic Kingdom that day. August 4th is unscheduled so far, however. Maybe we'll even bump into you guys!! We're doing our full vacation July 28-August 4, but it would be so cool to meet someone we knew from all our online Disney sites at WDW!

Emma

"To Infinity & Beyond..."

Awright!

hey Terri! congrats on the trip- you're gonna have a great time! I read that you'll be driving from Elgin, TX! When we went on our trip two years ago, we drove too- it isnt a bad drive. Are you gonna drive i-10 all the way through? If you are, you're not gonna be seeing much. It's mainly trees, trees, swamps in Louisiana and high bridges! Louisiana was by far the longest state I felt to drive through- it was about an 8-10 hour drive (i should have pulled my trip notes out before I started this-lol). We left Austin at 6:30 am and stayed the night in Mobile AL- arrived at 6 pm. Then the next morning we left at 6 and didnt make it to All Stars Sports until 5 pm... but my grandma had insisted on driving that day- lol so maybe that had to do with getting there a little late- LOL!

Anyways hopes that helps a lil & you guys have a blast!

A pirate's life for me! misdisney's Avatar

Terri, Your trip sounds awesome! I defenitley need to do this pre~trip planning as well! We are going end of Nov~ beginning of Dec and can't wait to start figuring everything out . Best of luck to you! Are you guys planning and chacter dining? I love Disneyland as well and we go there ofter. This will be our frist trip to WDW as well. Can't wait to here more.

Looking forward to "Pirates 4" another red carpet premiere....can't wait

Eek! oh no!

I have this issue with my feet called plantar Fasciitis and it can be excruiating. Well, it's started to flair back up again - specially if I do a lot of walking (which oddly enough I intend to do at WDW!). I have special inserts for my shoes, and that alleviates some of the pain - but not all of it. I spent 5 hours walking around sea world last sunday and I'm still recovering 5 days later.

What am I going to do at WDW???????

I have so much I want to see and do and now...I'm a little scared. I need the exercise - I need to walk - but I'm in a position where I may not be able to. I know what it's like to try and get around Disneyland in a wheelchair (my mom was in one the last 3 years of her life) and I just can't bear the thought of the crowds.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? In August? I'm really starting to fret over this...I just feel old and incapable...wah!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
    Can I bother to ask you for your cool down spots? I haven't been to WDW in forever and I will be going next summer. My dad is going as well, so we might need some places just for him to sit and relax while we ride some rides he won't ride.
    Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    I have this issue with my feet called plantar Fasciitis and it can be excruiating. Well, it's started to flair back up again - specially if I do a lot of walking (which oddly enough I intend to do at WDW!). I have special inserts for my shoes, and that alleviates some of the pain - but not all of it. I spent 5 hours walking around sea world last sunday and I'm still recovering 5 days later.

What am I going to do at WDW???????

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? In August? I'm really starting to fret over this...I just feel old and incapable...wah!!!!!!
    What about soaking your feet? I don't know much about this issue, so I am struggling here. What about an electric chair for part of the time? or just half a day? It is a thought.
    Shelley