Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Questions re: new offer to buy points at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Saratoga Springs

BuryMeInTheCaribbeanW/Pirates

Lightbulb Questions re: new offer to buy points at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Saratoga Springs

We are thinking of taking advantage of the offer which ends on Feb. 18 to purchase points at either SSR or the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas.

We already own 250 points at SSR (use year starts in Oct.) and would like to get in on the AKL while the getting is good. I understand that if we purchase 160 points, we get 160 comp. points plus a minimum credit of $8.00 per point. I understand that if you purchase at SSR you get $10 credit.

When would our use year begin? February? March? or October?

The purchase price for 160 points is $16,640. What is the credit of $8 used for? Would it be applied to the purchase price?

I probably have more questions but, at this stage, I don't know enough to ask them.

Last edited by ChuckC; 02-02-2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: New information
    My dog, Cookie, is a Llasa Apso and her breed is from Tibet. So let her ride Expedition Everest because I won't ride it again.

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The credit will be taken off of the purchase price per point, dropping your overall costs. So, 160 points would be $15,360.

As for use year preferences, I think this is more of a matter of preference as well as what they are able to offer you at the time of sale. I have heard of people requesting certain use years, but not sure how requesting a specific one works. (Others might be able to help with that.)

The thing about use year is it really impacts your ability to bank and borrow (and I think transfer) at certain times of the year. My first train of thought is that if you like your current use year, and it goes along with your current pattern of vacationing, then you might want to consider getting AKV with the same UY for simplicity sake. (At least this is what we are considering as well...)

Admittedly, I am learning about topics like this every day, as I am in a similar boat. Others who have been members longer with different UY contracts might be able to chime in as to the pros and cons of having different UY's.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

As a new purchaser recently (and don't know if it is different for an add-on) the use year for AKL was October and the use year for SSR was June. They credit the $8/$10 per point to the down payment--so if you are paying $5,000 down your "down" on SSR for example would be increased to $6,600--your $5,000 plus a $1,600 credit. Has the same effect of reducing the price overall but that is how they do it.

I have BW with an April use year, when I bought AK I got to choose April as my use year. It is much easier to have all my points with the same use year for banking and borrowing purposes. It seems to me that keeping everything straight with different use years would be a bit of a headache.

BuryMeInTheCaribbeanW/Pirates
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    We are thinking of taking advantage of the offer which ends on Feb. 18 to purchase points at either SSR or the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas.
    Well, we went ahead and purchased 160 points at the AKL Villas and we got an October use year. We have an October uy for SSR already.

Now the big problem is how are we going to use the 160 comp points.
    My dog, Cookie, is a Llasa Apso and her breed is from Tibet. So let her ride Expedition Everest because I won't ride it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    Well, we went ahead and purchased 160 points at the AKL Villas and we got an October use year. We have an October uy for SSR already.

Now the big problem is how are we going to use the 160 comp points.
    I think if you are adding to a contract you get the same UY, if it was a completly different contract then you get what they are giving at the time.

Oh and Chuck just so you know...I am a giver by nature and if you have any problems using the extra points just let me know and I will use them for you. What can I say, I am willing to take one for the team.
    Planning The Boys 21st Birthday Trip...take 2
    Also planning a short trip for the 50th Anniversary
    ~Katrina

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chuck - I have two words for you:
    Grand Villa.
    (At AKV, that is...)

Well, that is what we used our developer points on and we have a feeling it will be well worth it. A once in a lifetime opportunity, if you ask me.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Two princesses!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KJSJpipe View Post
    [COLOR=black]
    Oh and Chuck just so you know...I am a giver by nature and if you have any problems using the extra points just let me know and I will use them for you. What can I say, I am willing to take one for the team.
    And I'd be happy to split them with you too!

Congratulations on your "new" home and Welcome Home again!!
    Jenna
    Proud to be a DVC member!!!
    Last trip: June 8-12 BWV sans with kids
    Next trip: May 2009 (so far, far away)