Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Trip Insurance? -- Need advice quick!

Trip Insurance? -- Need advice quick!

Hi everyone--our final payment is due very soon (which is great news since that means our trip will be here soon!!). Anyway, we are thinking we need trip insurance and was wondering if anyone has done research about whether it is better to buy Disney's or from another source. We are flying and would like coverage for that as well. Thanks!!!

Live today like there's no tomorrow!

Reed Family's First Magical Trip--January 2008--CSR

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess my first question is - why do you think you need trip insurance? Can you elaborate on the kind of things you would want to have coverage for? That info might give some better idea as to your situation.

In most cases, I dont think TI is necessary for a land-only trip. However, for cruises, I would consider it a must.
    Many of the policies out there are geared towards specific losses due to circumstances beyond your control such as acts of God, weather-related delays/cancellations and the like.

Depending on airline, you might be able to get a separate TI policy just for tickets for a few bucks per ticket. I know that Northwest offers such for like $15 per ticket.

As for which one is best for you - I would recommend getting some information regarding the policies you are considering and read the fine print very carefully before agreeing to it. It can add up to quite a bit of money on your trip and you need to make sure it will properly cover you during possible events that are the reasons for which you are considering buying it in the first place.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Thanks for the reply. I guess we're thinking about the what ifs? What if weather interferes with us getting there? What if there is a death in the family and we can't go? What if someone in our party gets sick? What are Disney's refund policies?

Thanks--Diane

Live today like there's no tomorrow!

Reed Family's First Magical Trip--January 2008--CSR

Blog Entries

If those are your what if's - chances are, TI may not be a good investment.
    When it comes to weather causing cancellations, airlines tend to have certain policies already in place that will protect you from loosing the value of your ticket or will allow you to rebook with no fee. As mentioned earlier, some airlines also offer TI just for their flights. That might be of interest.

As for getting sick / death in the family - usually TI will only cover losses if one of your traveling party covered by the policy is impacted in this manner. Example, if you have a death in the family outside of your traveling party, chances are it will not cover you. This is where reading the fine print is very important.

As for Disney's cancellation policies, they are rather decent. On the back of your itinerary, it should state the different timelines as to when you can cancel and what kind of charges might be involved. In some cases, those charges are going to be either the same or less than buying TI. (At least for us, it was - your experience may vary.) Unless someone chimes in as to when the different dates comes into play, I will try to dig up my current ressie info and post the details later.

But like any other insurance, you can go on dozens of trips and never file a claim. But there is always that one time.... In short, you have to do what you feel is right for you and your party.

Hope that helps.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I always get it....always

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dawz1026 View Post
    I always get it....always
    Just wondering... would you be able to provide some details as to why so the OP can make some comparisons?

Friend of Figment

I have been to every US State and Territory except North Dakota and Samoa and been to 31 countries. I have never purchased (or needed) TI.

If weather is a factor, the airlines will cover you even without insurance. Also, when there have been major weather problems I have seen Disney waive normal penalties. Also, if you change your reservations at Disney (as opposed to cancel) they will normally do it without penalty (or a very small fee around $200) and so you will not lose the bulk of your money. Likewise, if there is a major illness/death normally both the airlines and Disney will be very accomodating.

Usually the only time that TI is worthwhile is if you will be taking a cruise; there a last minute cancellation tends to include total forfeiture.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Just wondering... would you be able to provide some details as to why so the OP can make some comparisons?
    Since having kids and illness arises suddenly with them it gives us a feeling of security knowing we can cancel closer to departure if needed...as well as being in NY if we leave during winter and a storm may be coming. We are not willing to leave our house and dog to mil in bad weather (shoveling etc.) and possibly road/flight delays.Im more comfortable with it ..
    Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
    I have been to every US State and Territory except North Dakota and Samoa and been to 31 countries. I have never purchased (or needed) TI.
    I have a feeling you're going to make a visit to those 2 places just to complete the list.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company