Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Calling all DVC Members!

Lightbulb Calling all DVC Members!

My better half and I frequent the FL Disney parks and we're thinking of becoming DVC members to have the opportunity to save some $$ and visit destinations outside of FL. I've read up on the "basics" but can find nothing indicating a dollar amount - Understandably, as they want you to call for details but to be honest, I'd like to have a "window figure" prior to calling.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! And thank you, in advance.

Have a Magical Day!!!!!!!!!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tony did a great article about this not too long ago. If you get to the bottom, you can even download a spreadsheet to help you run the numbers.

TU soooo much! What a GREAT tip! New to MousePlanet - still trying to find my way around. I appreciate your response

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Tony did a great article about this not too long ago. If you get to the bottom, you can even download a spreadsheet to help you run the numbers.

still romantic at heart

current price is somewhere around $100=/point. you can also buy on the aftermarket at between $70-90/pt and being patient, checking everyday for new listings can yield some real deals.

Grateful for all God has done for me, and for having Wfoxx by my side.

I am Root. Bow before me!
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

One thing to be aware of. On the aftermarket sales, beware of properties selling for less than ~$80 a point. Disney has been kicking in their right of first refusal on most sales that go below that level.

Only home resorts currently available for purchase through DVC are Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas. If you want a home resort at another property, you will have to go through resale.

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.
    I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

The article you were directed to above is excellent at going through the ins and outs. We have been members since 04 and saved significant amounts on our WDW trips (we normally stayed at deluxe resorts).

However, I have known members that bought with the intention of using the DVC primarily for the non-DVC resorts, and have been disappointed. IMO, if your plan is to use the DVC primarily for Non-DVC resorts, it is not worth it.

If your plan is to use DVC to save money on the trips you would otherwise take to WDW, then I think it is a great money saver.

Finally, (the article might mention this, I don't recall) but one of the big advantages of DVC for my family is the ability to have use of large rooms (1 and 2 bedroom) right on property. IMO, that (plus the in room laundry) alone is worth every penny.

still romantic at heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    One thing to be aware of. On the aftermarket sales, beware of properties selling for less than ~$80 a point. Disney has been kicking in their right of first refusal on most sales that go below that level.
    Tony on what do you base this on? I'm not in no way denying it, I'm just curious to know what you may have heard?

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Talking to a couple of people who have been trying to buy addons via resale. They had buys at $75 and $78 per point that were taken by Disney via right of first refusal.

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.

still romantic at heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Talking to a couple of people who have been trying to buy addons via resale. They had buys at $75 and $78 per point that were taken by Disney via right of first refusal.
    thanks

To DVC or not to DVC...

I apologize if this should be posted elsewhere on the site. I looked for a category that fit, but wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyhow - - my husband and I are thinking of making the leap into DVC ownership. We can afford the monthly payments and I like the idea of building some equity with my money on something that we will actually use. We have two small kids, and we are likely to take trips every year somewhere - more often that not, Disney.

For those of you who are DVC members, what do you wish you knew before you bought it? Was there anything that surprised you - either negatively or positively? Do you find that you have a hard time spending your points or do you wish you had more points?

It sounds like a great option for my family - but I thought I would go to the honest source - DVC members - and see what they thought.

Thanks in advance!

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I merged this with a fairly recent thread on the same topic. If you haven't already read it, I recommend the article that Tony did (linked in the second post)

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do take a peek at Tony's article on getting into DVC ownership, mentioned above. (Along with some of the other comments above.)

ETA: Drince - we did it again....

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Thanks! I read the article, and it does help some.

I'm curious about using the points for non-Disney vacations. Has anyone done this? What was their experience?

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

We have good friends who have used it for African safaris, and other time shares, and love it. But, you do it knowing that it isn't always the best value for the points compared to the DVC properties. But so long as you know that going in, you should be fine.

I joined 3 years ago and my only regret is not buying more points, which I will probably do shortly in the future! I did just get a notice that pricing is going up shortly, I believe to $104 a point, so you may want to join soon. We use our DVC strictly for WDW and it still never seems like enough time. Now with the AP discount that DVC-ers get, makes it even more valuable!

Now planning my 40th WDW trip =D -- Saratoga Springs and BLT DVC Member!

Thanks, Bellefan!

I think we are going to make the leap. Its just that we are in Northern California, and I was concerned that if we don't take a WDW trip every year or so, we might not use the points we have - - it seems, though, that we have already thought of 10 ways to spend one years points...

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HTanner View Post
    Thanks, Bellefan!

I think we are going to make the leap. Its just that we are in Northern California, and I was concerned that if we don't take a WDW trip every year or so, we might not use the points we have - - it seems, though, that we have already thought of 10 ways to spend one years points...
    Don't forget - you can always bank your points for the next year. We also have some friends who regularly use their points for friends and family members. So it isn't just you that can use them.

Two princesses!!

We just finalized our deal in March. I'm so glad to finally be a member!!! I wish we could have done it sooner, but am looking forward to many vacations to come!

We rented points three times in the past and decided that we needed to become members ourselves. Now I want to buy more points!

Jenna
    Proud to be a DVC member!!!
    Last trip: June 8-12 BWV sans with kids
    Next trip: May 2009 (so far, far away)

Blog Entries

We bought in last year and the halloween trip in October will be our first "Home Coming". I have stayed at SSR before but the rest of my family has only seen it from DtD. I have also booked a (possibly) surprise birthday weekend for DH @ Hilton Head in December. So far I have been happy with the service when I call Member Services.

Planning The Boys 21st Birthday Trip...take 2
    Also planning a short trip for the 50th Anniversary
    ~Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by wed@wdw View Post
    We just finalized our deal in March. I'm so glad to finally be a member!!!
    Welcome Home! And don't worry about buying new points - DVC sends you lots of special offers and opportunities to add on
    Now planning my 40th WDW trip =D -- Saratoga Springs and BLT DVC Member!

Two princesses!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bellefan View Post
    Welcome Home! And don't worry about buying new points - DVC sends you lots of special offers and opportunities to add on
    Thank you Bellefan!! It's going to be great to hear that when we pull into OKW (even though SSR is our home resort)!

We've already received a "special offer" to add on, so no worries there!

And our sales rep, Randy, was a really nice guy!! He was so patient with us and gave us excellent service!! It was an easy experience and I can't wait to go "home"
    Jenna
    Proud to be a DVC member!!!
    Last trip: June 8-12 BWV sans with kids
    Next trip: May 2009 (so far, far away)

We joined this year after many years of looking at other "time share" offers. The Disney one seemed to be the only one that offered real flexibility. We bought in at 350 points so you can work our roughly what that cost plus closing fees and our annual dues (pro rata in the first year). If you have any doubts or questions then be up front with the DVC guys. I'd recommend Jenna Mazza - she is brilliant. She answered all our queries and at no time did she pressure us. We were even able to email her direct. She allowed us time to go away and think things over and only set things in motion when we asked her to. She was fully supportive throughout. Don't forget it's not just Disney parks you can use - you could on an African safari or go skiing in Colorado. The choices on offer are superb.
    We feel totally satisfied with our "purchase" and no I'm not on any commission. I'm saying this because I belive I have made a good decision. Don't forget the perks you get as a DVc member - discounts on tickets, meals, park purchases etc (We even get discount in UK Disney stores on merchandise). You are buying your vacations for life and you'll be able to hand them on to your kids.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a Nightmare Fantasmic!
    Only you can speak the words that are on YOUR lips!
    DVC member -Saratoga Springs, WDW

sorry to barge in with a question of my own...

But with so many chiming in with good advice/insight, I thought this was the perfect time to ask

DH and I took the DVC tour after chatting with a guide on the phone (after looking info over online), and are really leaning toward DVC, but neither of us can stand the guide assigned to us If we do decide to buy, would we be able to ask for a different guide? It seems as though this fellow has been officially assigned to us -- DH called the toll free number with a question, and after the lady took DH's name and number, she said that "***" was our guide and would call us back. We find him to be rude, and not too helpful. I would love to talk to someone else, but don't know if it would be way out of line to ask for someone else

Peace, love, harmony ....

and a trip to Disney

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

If you don't like you guide, ask to switch. If you want, I would be happy to contact our guide, and ask him what the best way to change would be.

MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FigmentFigment View Post
    But with so many chiming in with good advice/insight, I thought this was the perfect time to ask

DH and I took the DVC tour after chatting with a guide on the phone (after looking info over online), and are really leaning toward DVC, but neither of us can stand the guide assigned to us If we do decide to buy, would we be able to ask for a different guide? It seems as though this fellow has been officially assigned to us -- DH called the toll free number with a question, and after the lady took DH's name and number, she said that "***" was our guide and would call us back. We find him to be rude, and not too helpful. I would love to talk to someone else, but don't know if it would be way out of line to ask for someone else
    Ok, I was on the phone with our guide today, regarding something else, and so I asked the question.

He said, that if you are not comfortable with the guide you have been assigned, absolutely ask for a new one. Guides are there to help you, and if you don't like who you are working with, you need to get someone who you do like. This is not a small investment or a simple decision, so you really need to have one you are comfortable with to help you through the process.

What he indicated was to call the main DVC sales number, and ask for a manager. When you get the manager on the phone, explain the situation. If you don't want to go into details, you don't have to. But, if you are comfortable explaining the details with why you want to change, do. It will help the manager understand your concerns and needs, and will help them pick the right person for you to work with. They will make a minor change in their system, and *poof*, you will have a new guide assigned.