Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Cruise Question [18 year old still considered teen?]

Cruise Question [18 year old still considered teen?]

I'm curious if anyone else has every had this happen to them. Quite some time ago I inquired to a specific question through the Disney cruise line questions area. I waited nearly 2 weeks for a answer while they were researching it. Now after I have booked and have nearly paid for my August vacation I once again asked them if I needed any additional items for this and they have competely changed there answer and opinions on this. I have the original emails from 2 different disney reps telling me the very same answer, which I forwarded to them. They are still saying they can't and won't let me know until I actually get on the cruise. It's beyond aggrevating to get the run around like this. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

It might help us be able to respond to the question you've posted here if we know what the question(s) are that you e-mailed to DCL and have gotten different answers.

Karin

Smile

Sorry about that. Just was a bit wound up with the whole situation. About 7 months ago I emailed a questoin to disney reps about whether my daughter who will be turning 18 shortly before we cruise and who is also going into her senior year would be able to participate in the teen activities. I waited for quite some time for a response and it was sent by two different reps, one of which was a supervisor advising me that she would be allowed to do so if she was still in high school. So after making the reservations and such I inquired as to whether they would want anything from the school stating she was indeed going into her senior year, at which time they informed me that they never allow this. I raised major chasos over it and was then told that she could with the permission of the activities counselor that age group. Now while I do realize liablilities and such all I want is a truthful answer. I am waiting on a response from them once again. This probably does'nt seem like a huge issue. But I also have a 16 year old daughter going and they do just about everything together. And I also don't want her participating solely in adult activities since she really won't have a whole lot in common with them. Are there any other avenue's that I can look into complaint wise to try and resolve this that anyone knows of?? I honestly would have taken NO as a answer if they would have told me that from the very start. But after making me wait quite some time while they researched this and then told yes it just makes me upset that they can't seem to get it all together for those that are they're customers. Again sorry I did'nt specify. I was in a spouting mood after getting that email. But would very much appreciate any and all help!!

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Personally I woudn't think it would be a problem. Disney takes a lot of people on their honor system for a lot of things, i.e., kids who tell the gate CMs that their toddler is under 3 and is therefore still free for park entry, or under 9 and is therefore still the kid's entry price, people who rent wheelchairs, ladies on DCL who say they aren't more than the allowable 24 weeks pregnant. I went on at 18 weeks and they didn't bat an eye or ask for any document from my MD saying how far along I was or even ask me to go see the doctor on board at all. And I looked bigger than 18 weeks due to fibroids. People will usually be telling the truth in these circumstances.

Kids can easily be 18 and still in high school depending on when they started kidergarten, if they got left back (not saying your DD did, just that that's a possibile reason for why).

Seems to me you tried to be up front and get an answer and they obviously don't have a specific policy on this that more than one CM can quote and have it be the same no matter who you ask, so my 2 cents is to maybe just get something from school, like a current transcript showing her classes and that she's enrolled, just in case they ask on board, but otherwse just plan to have her be wherever she wants to be. At that age they can sign themselves in and out whenever they want anyway. I wouldn't plan to show the transcript to anyone unless asked specifically about it.

Niwel, you're the DCL expert, am I wrong with my assumptions (other than one should never assume)?

Karin

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

The ID cards indicate if the cruiser is an adult (over 18) or not.

I agree with Karin ... you can get something from the school but there is no way for them to differentiate on the card (18 but still in high school). Teens do not need to check in and out or register. They do card "younger kids" but I doubt they will card your 18-year old (however, your 16 year old will not be allowed in the adult areas). I'm sure the 18-year-old will be fine. Hope that helps.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Original and Classic

For what it's worth, I went on a Disney Cruise with my high school aged Girl Scouts in 2004. Two of them were newly 18 and had just graduated high school. Even though they were technically adults we talked to the cruise people once on board and they let them do the teen activities with the rest of our girls who weren't 18 yet. We didn't need to provide them with any kind of documentation.

If it's after closing and I stare at you, that means, Go Home.
    Bag check, not security check, bag check!!
    I'm so funny. clicky and check me out.
    I make things happen.

I am Root. Bow before me!
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Our experience is the same - it is up to the discretion of the crew members. A lot depends on how crowded the Teen area will be (how many are on board). Usually, so long as there is room, it shouldn't be a problem.

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.
    I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

Smile

Thanks for all the help!! I recieved a new response from higher up and was told that it won't be a problem. So I'm hoping that all goes well. Really am looking forward for this begining a wonderful end to our whole disney trip!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

It's also a function of how well your daughter interacts with the other kids in that programming group. If she relates well and isn't leading the younger kids into mischief, then there should be no problem. If she is disruptive to the programming, then they will ask her not to return.

We've also noticed that they are more accomodating about allowing children to join another age group when there is a sibling involved - we've known of situations where younger siblings were allowed to join the next older group of kids, or vice versa, so that they could remain with a sibling.

My biggest frustration with Disney Cruise Line is that there seems to be so little that is "policy," and so much that is "accomodation." Answers change depending on who you ask. I think part of it is the land side / sea side nature of the operation, where the decision maker may not be where you need them to be to get a speedy answer. The other is that SO much seems to be up to the discretion of the ship's crew, and you frequently can't get a decision from them until you're already on the ship. I've lost track of the number of situations we've encountered where shore side said one thing, and ship side did another. All you can do is be patient and persistant.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Smile

Thanks once again for the help. I have no doubt that my daughter will fit into their catagory. She is very shy and quiet. And no this is just not my mom side speaking. But like you said it is extremely frustrating to get so many different answers to the same question. I think they need to have some sort of standard that they stick to. If a person is honest and up front on something. They should get the same in return and not get the run around. I'm hoping that this is the first of many disney cruises for us. But it will be a "we shall see" type thing for me. As I said I'm hoping for the best!!