Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Trip report-

Trip report-

Part One-

I wanted to do a little(turned out long) trip report because I have not been to the park since the 50th celebration began. I live in the bay area, usually try to get to the park at least 2 times per year. We have deluxe passports. This trip was planned at the request of my daughter Kandice (IndysGirl27 here on Mouse Pad) for her 8th grade graduation celebration instead of a party. My mom, myself, Kandice and her two best friends Ashley and Leanna (my husband doesnt usually come along on DL trips as he isnt into it like us) left the minute school was out on Thursday 6/16 at noon. They had their graduation ceremony the night before.

The ride down The 5 was uneventful, stopped at The Pea (Andersons Split Pea) as usual for every trip. Hit some Thursday night traffic in LA as usual for every trip also. We went to Las Sanchez on Harbor for some great Mexican food as soon as we arrived. Then across the street to Target to buy the little things we forgot, as usual for every trip. Flash cards, video tapes and one toothbrush. As we were driving up to the Howard Johnsons the fireworks started. Just from standing outside my car in the parking lot we could see them well, so I have no doubts that the room views would be great. We always were in the park for them after this night so I cant say for sure.

Regarding HoJos-
    We usually stay at The Disneyland Hotel but with 5 of us I needed two rooms and the best rate they had when I called was over 300 per room per night. So, after hearing such good things about the HoJos here on the board, I called and got ressies for us at 102.00 per room per night instead. The HoJos is nice. The location is great. We were in building 1 and we looked right out at The Matterhorn. That was very nice to look at every morning while getting ready. I would have to say that the walk to the front gate from this hotel seemed almost shorter than the walk from the DLH to the front gate. My daughter and her friends said the pool was the best part of the hotel. I did not go but Ill take her word on it. The employees were all very nice. The thing is, I really was not in my room much on this trip. Usually we are in our room more, but we only had a few days and the girls wanted to stay longer this time in the park. I did not get back to our room before midnight. For the price, I thought it was worth it.

First day-
    Disneyland opened at 9 am today. We arrive a little after 8. Apparently we were not the only ones with this idea. There are many people in line to buy tickets. I had to get the twins the hoppers. Waited in line at the gate, they opened them around 8:30. Took some pics and headed to the rope. We were about 5 feet back, I could see it through people, next time I am so up in the front though. By the time the roped dropped looking behind us it looked pretty crowded down Main St. Glad we got there when we did. We headed to Peter Pan (first to do on the RideMax schedule) Yes DisneylandForever I did RideMax, sue me RentaYenta talked about the thing so much I had to try it. It worked and it was fun. We only did it for the first day, and we adjusted it somewhat. Next we went to get fast passes for Indy. When we put in the APs in the fast pass machine, it printed out a ticket that said something like the AP was not active that day. Something to that effect. We took it to the CM and he handed us a some pink slips that were the some as fast passes and said to go the front gate to see if they could fix it. Instead we went to Splash Mountain. It happened again and the they told us it sometimes takes awhile to register the APs so again they gave us fast passes. We went to Buzz Lightyear. Not much of a line, maybe 15 minutes. While everyone was standing in line, I took the passes and hoppers to the fast pass machine, put the APs in the machine and again, it shot out not valid.. The CM standing there gave me 5 fast passes. After this time the APs all worked in the machines. I got back in line with my group and headed in to ride Buzz for the first time. Loved it! I really thought the ride was awesome. At this point we were hungry and thirsty and we went to the bakery on Main St and had Mochas and pastries. It was so great. The girls were just so excited to be there together. They were beaming! Thats the best part of being a parent ya know? Seeing the joy on their faces. Especially teenager girls! They can be a tough audience. After this we went on Buzz again. Then on Indy.

We meandered around a little before heading off to The Blue Bayou for lunch. We only had to wait about 15 minutes for waterside seats. The waiter was nice as could be. We told him that one thing we do on our trips to Disneyland is try and remember as many of the great CMs names as we can for as long as we can. We still go through the names from trips a year ago. But they have to be great to be on the list. Now he was already on the list when we told him this story. Dont remember how this conversation started as we never tell any of them this game we have. Anyway, every time he came to our table for the rest of our lunch he had on someone elses name tag. Girls names and all, it was classic. Too funny. Oh, I forgot to mention when I was walking to the park in the morning I noticed I had a flat tire. Can you believe, this is the first flat on my husbands SUV and of course it happened when I had it. Anyway, I just ignored it and went to the park, knowing Id have to fix it later. I was asking our waiter if he knew of any tire places that I could go to. He asked about the car, informed me the spare is a regular sized tire(he had one simular) and I just needed it changed for now, till I got home. OK, I didnt know that. He says, I get off at five, heres my cell I live five minutes away, I can do it for you if you cant get anyone. How sweet was that? Too cool. I ended up getting AAA, but how dang nice. I tipped him well though. Oh lunch? That was good too. We all had the chicken Caesar.

After lunch we went to the on Indy again. Then went to see the Tiki Room. Oh my gosh. It looks great huh? We had a great time in there. The girls loved it and the word Tiki has become our word. When I needed their attention, Id say Tiki, kind of high pitched and theyd respond Tiki(high pitched) and look my way. It was awesome and came in handy in the crowds at night.

Next we got our Golden Ears and then went to see The First 50 Magical Years on Main St. This was pretty neat also. The lobby is filled with all kinds of great things to see and the movie with Steve Martin was great too.

Next we walked back to the hotel to deal with the tire. I called triple a and within 20 minutes the guy was there changing the tire. It looked ugly with the spare on, but that was something for my husband to deal with when I returned. I tipped the guy 15 bucks and we were walking back to the park within one hour Id say.

Here, it gets fuzzy. I dont remember what we did or in what order. I know we ate dinner at the Pizza Port. We rode some more rides, Pirates, Indy. We got a table at the Plaza Inn for the Fireworks somehow. Got there about one hour before, had some dessert and coffee from the bakery while sitting there. Took goofball pictures of ourselves. Then the fireworks started. Oh.My.Gosh. Those are so great. Got teary eyed a little.

After the fireworks we slowly walked, and I mean slowly walked over to Pirates. We walked right on, then over to the Haunted Mansion. The mansion looked great inside. I used to like the Holiday version better, but I think I changed my mind. It looks great inside. Finished up the night with the girls riding splash twice (they each had two fast passes). The park was now closed (except for Main St.)as we made our way up to Main St. It was a great day. We were all tired, and my 65 year old Mom had been there the 18 hours with us and was doing great! We got back to the hotel around 12:45am and crashed.

Pictures of the trip below.... forgive me, after looking at them I realize I get more of my daughter and friends then of Disney.

Link to pictures

-Disneygirl65

2. # ADS

Part Two-

We decided to go to the opening of DCA this day so we could sleep in a little more. I have awake up call for 8 am. The phone rang, I first thought, I know a truck hit me I just dont know what hospital I am in. I hurt. After getting up though and slamming a diet coke I felt alive again. I went in the girls room (we had connecting rooms) and took pictures of them sleeping before I woke them. They even seemed tired but quickly got in the spirit again and in the showers!

We arrived at DCA and took the girls to Tower of Terror. They had never ridden this ride. The wait was about 30 minutes already. We left them in line (mom and I were not riding this ride) to get us all fast passes for Soarin over California. After mom and I had coffee and danish at the bakery. The girls called and were off the ride earlier than we thought, they came over and had some breckie with us. Next we went on Soarin, then me and the girls (no Mom) went on Grizzly River Run. We got a little wet, no biggy, but had a good time. Spoke with a neat family on the raft. Walked around a little and went to lunch at White Water Snacks (first heard of this place here last year...what a find) we love it for lunch. After lunch we walked to Downtown Disney through the hotel and bought some earrings at Something Silver, as usual. We decided that we needed to get to Disneyland to snag some rides and fast passes. We went over and got fast passes for splash and rode Haunted Mansion. The girls wanted dole whips. I never had them before. We made our way to The Tiki room and bought dole whips. We sat in the outdoor lobby and relaxed and enjoyed them throughly.

We had decided earlier in the day that we wanted to be in the hub to watch the fireworks this night. Doing that and getting a great spot meant getting there very early. We went back to the hotel to shower and change. It was close to 4. The girls went to the pool first for a quick dip before. After getting ready again (doesnt it give you more energy to shower again in the afternoon? ) we walked to Disneyland at about 6 to stake out seats for the parade and fireworks. I have never done this before and never really found the need to. Why I did this trip was because it was so dang crowded and because the fireworks were so dang cool. The girls went and rode a ride and came back, went and got fast passes for Buzz and would come back. We got corndogs for dinner. We had seats on the cement round bench that house Walt and Mickey. Wonderful seats for the fireworks show. There was a father and his 14 year old daughter that we became fast friends with in that 3 hours and it flew by. We laughed and had some real good conversation that night. The fireworks was worth the wait and I really cant put into words how incredible they are.

After the fireworks we needed some souvenirs. We went to some stores in NOS and the girls could not find any sweatshirts they really wanted. They rode splash, then we Buzz, (had fast passes) and then at closing we hopped on Pirates. We were the only people on the ride at it was pretty trippy. Then we went down Main St and and did find the retro sweatshirts for the girls and they bought these bags that had the retro stuff on it too. They are really neat. Oh yes, earlier that day we found and bought (my daughter really) the 50th music CD set with the gold vinyl. She was all excited to find it. I bought a soup mug that I am using for a large coffee cup, and we all got name badges the first day. I had many people asking me directions and such, not sure if selling name badges with names engraved on them is so wise on Disneys part. But, not my decision.
    Again, we got to the room at almost 1 am, and very tired.

Next morning we awoke at about 9ish. I let the girls sleep till about 11. We were all showered and in the car by about 12:30. I drove down to Downtown Disney and we went to Tortilla Joes for lunch. This is really gringo Mexican food here. Think El Toritos. But hey, it did the trick. We remembered we hadnt gone and bought the pictures they took of the girls in front of TOT the day earlier. We went onto DCA and man, it seemed crowded in there. We bought the pics and a few other things and walked back down Downtown Disney to the car. This is always a sad time for us huh? Walking away from Disney. I want to go back already! My daughter wants to move there.

The road trip up the 5 was again uneventful but slow. Many cars and many bad and slow drivers that day. But the talk of our recent Disney memories made the trip go by really fast. What a great trip we had. Short but fantastic. There are plenty things we didnt do, plenty, but we will be back and hopefully soon.

-Disneygirl65

What a great report! What a fun mom you are.

I love the pics but I failed to see one of you. We have the same pic inside Ariel's shell with one of my DD and Coaster's DDs.

Thanks for the HoJo report too. I hope this puts picky Toaster_Lickie's (CC's new name thanks to DLF) mind at ease.

Ridemax is fun, not pure science or fail proof but fun.

Any thoughts of returning for the 17th?

DLF, Blueckles, Nursemelis, Me

Thanks for the report. Those girls are adorable. The pictures reminded me of my friends at that age.

I'm so glad you like the fireworks! I get teary-eyed too.

Thanks for the report. I enjoyed reading it.

One note regarding your flat tire. Even though you had a full-sized spare tire that the AAA guy put on for you...on your trip home you didn't have a spare. If one of the remaining four tires had blown, you would have been stuck on the freeway without a spare....I would recommend next time that once the spare was on, you head to a tire store and get a new tire or the one that was flat fixed. There is nothing much scarier that sitting on the side of the freeway especially at night and you could have been there for hours. This is an fyi for anyone in the same situation!

Quote Originally Posted by rentayenta
    What a great report! What a fun mom you are.

I love the pics but I failed to see one of you. We have the same pic inside Ariel's shell with one of my DD and Coaster's DDs.

Thanks for the HoJo report too. I hope this puts picky Toaster_Lickie's (CC's new name thanks to DLF) mind at ease.

Ridemax is fun, not pure science or fail proof but fun.

Any thoughts of returning for the 17th?
    I took most all the pictures. Ok, they took some with me in them, but we were dorkin out big time, so those could not go in there.

Toaster_Lickie will be OK at the HoJo's. I tihnk some rooms might be better than others but it's fine. You'll have a blast, so the room will be good.

Kandice and I really want to do the 17th but we also leave on our Alaskan cruise on the 22nd, so it might be to close. But I'll let you know for sure when it gets closer.
    -Disneygirl65

Quote Originally Posted by Mukta
    Thanks for the report. Those girls are adorable. The pictures reminded me of my friends at that age.

I'm so glad you like the fireworks! I get teary-eyed too.

Thanks for the compliment on the girls. They are awesome and fun as heck!
    -Disneygirl65

Quote Originally Posted by disneycrazzzy

One note regarding your flat tire. Even though you had a full-sized spare tire that the AAA guy put on for you...on your trip home you didn't have a spare. If one of the remaining four tires had blown, you would have been stuck on the freeway without a spare....I would recommend next time that once the spare was on, you head to a tire store and get a new tire or the one that was flat fixed. There is nothing much scarier that sitting on the side of the freeway especially at night and you could have been there for hours. This is an fyi for anyone in the same situation!
    Ok, I didn''t really think about this.
    It ended up being a nail in the tire. What are the odds? At big O today getting all nice again!
    Thanks for the advice though.
    -Disneygirl65

Thank you VERY much for the TR and pictures. It was GREAT reading!!!!

Dangerously Addicted to DLR
    Quote Originally Posted by disneycrazzzy

I AGREE with this wholeheartedly!!! We blew through 1 tire on our Suburban on our way home from Disneyland just outside of Riverside. We used the spare and continued driving. A second tire blew in the middle of the desert on the CA/AZ border! After attempting to flag someone down for over an hour (btw, NOBODY will stop for you in the middle of the night), we ended up being towed to Quartzsite, AZ at about 1am and had to sleep in the Suburban (6 of us -- very uncomfortable) because there is NO lodging there.

It was a HORRIBLE experience! Don't let this happen to you!

Sorry for hijacking, just brought back memories for me . . . Loved your trip report!

Disneygirl65:
    I know this is not Disney related...but I just got back from an Alaska cruise...AWESOME! P.S. If you go to Prince Rupert, have a milkshake from a place called Cowpachinos!!!

Wow, thanks for the great trip report and all the fun pics!!! I can't wait to get there next month!!

A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway. Ralph Waldo Emerson

A newer version of me...with a buddy!!