Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Question on [WDW] guest assistance pass

? on guest assistance pass

Hello, I have been reading some posts and I have a question. I have a disabled daughter 13 with Downs and we went to WDW last year and got the GAP. We never had to wait in line, we were let in the fast pass lane or brought in another entrance or to the front. There never was a problem. Now from reading I get the impression it has changed. My daughter has endurance issues with waiting in lines and in the heat. We are going to go again May of 2006 so will it be different from when I used it last time? And if so how would it affect her? Thank you for your help. Kris

2. # ADS

Essentially, the idea is to help you enjoy the park but it's not a instant "front of the line" type of pass that it was before.

There's a bunch of things they might do:

1. Put you in FastPass or "backdoor" your party (up to 6 total Guests).
    2. Ask you to get a FastPass and return at that designated time.
    3. If an attraction doesn't have FastPass, they might assign you a return time roughly equivilent to the wait time and then "backdoor" you then.

Essentially they'll do their best to make things on the "fair" side while accomodating your needs.

My advice: Know how to articulate/convey what you "need." Because of past abuse of the system, CMs dont respond to people saying they "need" a "front of the line pass" - they'll tell you no such pass exists.

From what I've gathered from your post - you'll need an alternative wait/queue of some sort.

As for endurance issues, Disney has stated in the past (paraphrased): We suggest our Guests make use of a wheelchair or other form of mobility assistance. The distance between our attractions is far greater than the length of any of our queues.

Lemme go find a link to the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. It's really helpful and can give you some insight on what to expect, back in a jiffy!

(The Guidebook will supercede any advice I or anyone will give, but is subject to change - so we'll find out the answer )

The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities covering all 4 theme parks can be obtained by calling DRC (Disney Reservation Center) at (407) 934-7639.

Thank you so much for the info. I am leaning towards getting a wheelchair as that Hannah has a tendency to just plop down where ever she is when she gets tired. This way when in line waiting I will have somewhere for her to sit and then she can be in charge of carrying our bags (smile).

I have no title-I'm a commoner mad4mky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krisann22
    Thank you so much for the info. I am leaning towards getting a wheelchair as that Hannah has a tendency to just plop down where ever she is when she gets tired. This way when in line waiting I will have somewhere for her to sit and then she can be in charge of carrying our bags (smile).
    Oh how I KNOW this 'plop' so well!!!

I have an 18 year old daughter with Down syndrome. And when I try to explain that 'plop'...people look at me oddly. They don't understand about the hypotonia people with Down syndrome have...and when they plop...they just plop. There were so many times we have had to deal with this at Disneyland with Kendall.

We haven't been to WDW since they have changed the policy...but we have been to Disneyland many times since (we live in California). At City Hall (or Guest Services) they will work with you and suggest what might be best. But, I would suggest renting a wheelchair. Last time I was at Disneyland, I saw several persons with Down syndrome in them...and while I am sure most of them could walk, understand all too well, how difficult it is for them to walk long distances between rides, and standing in long lines.

It might be a pain to push that wheelchair at times, but I am sure that Hannah will appreciate you doing it.

*We still get GAC at Disneyland...but it is mostly for stairs. Kendall has a very hard time with stairs. But, if need be, I wouldn't hesitate getting her a wheelchair. It just makes the visit to the parks that more enjoyable, for everyone!

You may be able to get a GAC for heat intolerance but it may only be accepted during the "daylight hours" Passes are the same just more specific for each need with areas to put a universal stamp for stairs, sitting in the front row, wheel chair accessible lines only, alternative entrance, and one for accommodate guest as soon as possible. The rarely give out the accommodate guest as soon as possible unless it is a make a wish group or a very ill guest. I think at Walt Disney World they have a GAC card for fast pass as well. I was there two years ago and my son and daughter both have behavior problems from Aspergers and ADHD and they gave us the one to get on right away I was shocked. I told them that my daughter can wait in lines but gets agitated and my son can wait about 5 mins. and he has a biting problem if people touch him (he is 13 now and is doing a lot better we normally wait in fast pass now at DLR)
    They gave us some stamp and I do not remember which one but it said on the pass accommodate as soon as possible and they were pushing people out of the way to get us on. I felt really embarrassed and the kids were really confused and upset so I went back and told them to put on the pass we could wait in fast pass and they just let us wait in fast pass at all times that worked out much better.
    If you daughter has problems with falling as a gather I would get a wheel chair for sure and ask if during the day when it is warm they can get you on faster or let you wait in the shade. I notice if you go in and are honest and have a "plan" it works much better. Have fun on your trip!
    (((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
    Toursbabe

There is no such thing as too much Disney!

Toursbabes MySpace