Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Resort 2023 Changes

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Disneyland Resort 2023 Changes

Besides Disney 100 - Disneyland Resort had plenty of DtD news today.
    - La Brea Bakery Cafe closes permanently
    - Earl of Sandwich in its place in February (temporarily)
    - Porto's will take over the footprint later maybe 2024 (i predict a complete overhaul and limited menu. Maybe takeover the unused ticket booth queues).
    - Din Tai Fung's primary dining area looks HUGE! (do y'all think they will need to tear down TJs and rebuild or just retheme). I wonder if TJs is considered westside or central DTD.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...trict-updates/

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    - La Brea Bakery Cafe closes permanently
    - Earl of Sandwich in its place in February (temporarily)
    - Porto's will take over the footprint later maybe 2024 (i predict a complete overhaul and limited menu. Maybe takeover the unused ticket booth queues).
    I wondered aloud if this was where Porto's would go and both males in my house resoundly rejected that, saying it was going in on the West side, saying they needed much more space. Taking over the ticket booth area was not part of the discussion. Interesting...
    Karin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    I wondered aloud if this was where Porto's would go and both males in my house resoundly rejected that, saying it was going in on the West side, saying they needed much more space. Taking over the ticket booth area was not part of the discussion. Interesting...
    well, my comment about the ticket booth queue was intended to be a joke - the official statement from Disney was that it would be in the same footprint. That could mean either same building OR the same square footage but they would just rebuild. I also wonder if Disney thought since Porto's is a bakery as well it should be in the same spot. Sometimes Disney planners dont get the link between "popular" and "maddening crowds".

West side is still a mystery to me. The blog post said Din Tai was going in to the west side - so that means on the other side of the Disneyland Drive bridge, right? thats why i mentioned it in my post above. Its not very clear where the "west side" ends..
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    well, my comment about the ticket booth queue was intended to be a joke - the official statement from Disney was that it would be in the same footprint. That could mean either same building OR the same square footage but they would just rebuild. I also wonder if Disney thought since Porto's is a bakery as well it should be in the same spot. Sometimes Disney planners dont get the link between "popular" and "maddening crowds".
    They also need to consider that "bakery" needs a large footprint behind the counter. Also, it already bottlenecks there with the fountain, imagine "maddening crowds" in that space that everyone coming from DtD/hotels/trams will have to pass by. *shudder*
    Karin

Blog Entries
    They also need to consider that "bakery" needs a large footprint behind the counter. Also, it already bottlenecks there with the fountain, imagine "maddening crowds" in that space that everyone coming from DtD/hotels/trams will have to pass by. *shudder*
    unless they pull a Dunkin (or La brea before it) and truck in fresh baked goods daily from an offsite location - once its sold out its sold out (maybe 2 trips a day?)

Looking at a satellite image, if they are going to bake fresh then I think they will need to expand into the ticket booth area if they are going to provide seating, which they could probably do without making the bottleneck worse (and which could potentially make it better if they made the entrances facing World of Disney and/or the gate to DCA). They really can't go backwards since that's the Soarin' building, but they could increase the kitchen area if they take over the patios/outdoor seating area. They could then move any seating area into where the ticket booths currently are.

As long as everything stays online, they really don't need eight ticket booths. BUT, the current booths provide a good visual barrier, especially on the Harbor Side.

My understand with the La Brea building is that its going to be demolished and a new building going up for Porto's.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Here is a change coming that I just saw...Feb 4th we will be able to start to park hop at 11am.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    My understand with the La Brea building is that its going to be demolished and a new building going up for Porto's.
    That's what what my boys told me they heard, too.

Here is a change coming that I just saw...Feb 4th we will be able to start to park hop at 11am.
    Sa-weet!
    Karin

They need to get rid of the hopping restriction all together. Then remove the reservation system and replace the Genie+ with MaxPass. I know, I'm living in the past. But things were better before.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Blog Entries

a summary of the announcements from Jan 10th - specific to Disneyland
    1) Park hopping now starts at 11am
    2) on ride Photopass free downloads
    3) more $104 days to be made available throughout the year
    4) more MK passes available as inventory becomes available (which I think was always the plan based on how they sold passes the last time).

The sentiment across social media seems to be why is 11am now the threshold when allegedly you needed 1pm in order to get staffing right for each park. And it was for park experience benefit for guests. Does that mean things are getting better? More hiring which means you can handle more attendance flow? There are still lots of data points not visible on how reservations are handled. To me - the next step will be to not limit hopping but still require reservations - because this tells Disney how much to staff the parks.

Of course this has been not the best benefit for Cast Members since you can't know your schedule. I believe there was some Cali legislation that was being proposed to require employers to give schedules 2 weeks in advance (or more). I dont know if it passed (maybe it was part of the Fast Food workers proposition that was lost in the previous election).

The on-ride photopass is meh for Disneyland. Since Splash is going into retheme that means that RSR and Space Mountain are the only two places for free photpass. Of course MK holders still get all Photopass free.

More $104 dates is great - lets see if guests take advantage of this and show that lower prices can lead to more revenue (even though there was a claim that less people, at a lot more money, could make more revenue). Good will towards average guests will go a long way with word of mouth.

I have heard that these offers are only available during the Disney100 celebration but could not find specific call outs on the Parks Blog.

I also love how Josh D was out there in the media stating non of this had to do with leadership change or other outside pressures. That they were simply responding to guest comments is funny to me.

a summary of the announcements from Jan 10th - specific to Disneyland
    1) Park hopping now starts at 11am

The sentiment across social media seems to be why is 11am now the threshold when allegedly you needed 1pm in order to get staffing right for each park. And it was for park experience benefit for guests. Does that mean things are getting better? More hiring which means you can handle more attendance flow? There are still lots of data points not visible on how reservations are handled. To me - the next step will be to not limit hopping but still require reservations - because this tells Disney how much to staff the parks.
    I thought it interesting that WDW got APs not needing reservations to enter after 2pm (which is when their park-hopping is allowed) and we got an even earlier park-hopping time. As a person whose been to the parks pre-covid on a Friday night when the So Cal passholders could go (and were either about to be or coming off their summer blockout) I vowed that I would never go again without checking their calendar. It was miserable. And maybe the problem is "solved" simply by reducing the number of pass/key holders but it seems like a slippery slope towards what it was before if we get rid of reservations here.

As much as Disney often likes to pretend that they can "One Disney" everything and treat both coasts the same, I'm actually happy that they aren't doing so for this. WDW may be able to handle a bunch of drop-in passholders. Disneyland definitely can't (at least, not like it used to without it going back to being miserable).

I have heard that these offers are only available during the Disney100 celebration but could not find specific call outs on the Parks Blog.

I also love how Josh D was out there in the media stating non of this had to do with leadership change or other outside pressures. That they were simply responding to guest comments is funny to me.
    I think it was just assumed by some and others just stuck with it that the 1pm (or 2pm in WDW) was for staffing reasons. I don't think it was. It was just a point they picked in the afternoon that was probably looked at as not halfway through the day but enough hours for you to spend in either park to get whatever you might want done. Sadly with certain ones you are ready to jump to the other one sooner than that or wishing you could have been able to for lunch. As far as I've seen I had read that the numbers for CMs here was at a higher number than before COVID. I think that has a lot to do with them hiring more part time workers though than full time. So that would make sense for it be a higher number then. WDW seems to be struggling mostly in this area. Obviously we would all like the hopping rules to be dropped but as long as reservation system is in place that will not happen as there would be no purpose for a reservation system then.

This is what was on the Disney Blog for the photos:
    "Complimentary Disney PhotoPass digital attraction photos for you to take home as a souvenir
    So many of us have treasured memories captured in the form of attraction photos whether its huge screams on your first Space Mountain ride or victorious smiles crossing the finish line on Radiator Springs Racers, these are some of the best moments to take home from your visit. As a thank-you to our incredible Disneyland Resort guests, were excited to make Disney PhotoPass digital photo downloads captured on any Disney PhotoPass available attraction during a park visit, complimentary for all ticketed park guests on the Disneyland app starting February 4, throughout the Disney100 celebration at the Disneyland Resort.***"

Josh was giving typical Disney speak there. Try to fool the guests into thinking they are being heard. Its like when they say the prices going up was to help with crowd control before covid and how the reservation system is for that now. There are those that would believe that and will believe what is said now.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    They need to get rid of the hopping restriction all together. Then remove the reservation system and replace the Genie+ with MaxPass. I know, I'm living in the past. But things were better before.
    For sure...and it seemed like things ran smoother as well this way. There are times we are in the parks and I feel like Disney forgot how to run the parks because it feels like such a cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I thought it interesting that WDW got APs not needing reservations to enter after 2pm (which is when their park-hopping is allowed) and we got an even earlier park-hopping time. As a person whose been to the parks pre-covid on a Friday night when the So Cal passholders could go (and were either about to be or coming off their summer blockout) I vowed that I would never go again without checking their calendar. It was miserable. And maybe the problem is "solved" simply by reducing the number of pass/key holders but it seems like a slippery slope towards what it was before if we get rid of reservations here.

As much as Disney often likes to pretend that they can "One Disney" everything and treat both coasts the same, I'm actually happy that they aren't doing so for this. WDW may be able to handle a bunch of drop-in passholders. Disneyland definitely can't (at least, not like it used to without it going back to being miserable).
    I do agree that Disney will never be able to treat things the same with both coasts. It shows at times they know this with certain decisions they do. Yet I will say that I don't see how its not more miserable in many areas than it was before covid in the parks. Before and after covid, we have had good and bad days. Yet I think its worse in many areas now than it was ever before covid. Look at the wait times that happened over Winter Break when the keys were all blocked. I don't remember ever seeing many of those rides ever get that high in wait times in the past. They would run out of FP for certain rides by afternoon at times during that week but the wait times for standby where still not as crazy like. You had the highest APs that could go then. October is still a cluster of hell and has not changed since before COVID. We stay away from those times on purpose because of the insanity. So not sure that the reservation system is better to have in the end than it was before covid. In the past at least with no reservations you could decide last minute to not go if you saw it was to packed. Now we would take a hit to our keys if we do that on the same day. I just don't see a difference in things other than with reservations Disney just can control how many ticketholders they want in the parks compared to keyholders on any given day. As well as they are in control of how many keyholders they have. Yet either way it goes the parks are packed and its what Disney wants....which I really hate to see what the 27th looks like in the parks.

Blog Entries
    As far as I've seen I had read that the numbers for CMs here was at a higher number than before COVID. I think that has a lot to do with them hiring more part time workers though than full time. So that would make sense for it be a higher number then. WDW seems to be struggling mostly in this area. Obviously we would all like the hopping rules to be dropped but as long as reservation system is in place that will not happen as there would be no purpose for a reservation system then.
    From my perspective I dont agree. Many times waiting for food, or registers in stores not all being staffed, to help with stock or how clean the park is (or has not been) were all signs that not enough cast members were back yet. Even loading an unloading on certain attractions are affected by how many cast we have. To me the biggest sign had been cleaning in the park. It has got better in public walkways - but bathrooms are still a problem.

From my perspective I dont agree. Many times waiting for food, or registers in stores not all being staffed, to help with stock or how clean the park is (or has not been) were all signs that not enough cast members were back yet. Even loading an unloading on certain attractions are affected by how many cast we have. To me the biggest sign had been cleaning in the park. It has got better in public walkways - but bathrooms are still a problem.
    I will say the year before last I would have agreed with some of this. It was the only time I had seen issues with bathrooms and it wasn't always the case then either but it was a few times that it seemed things weren't stocked in them. Yet I haven't seen it with the ladies rooms at all. I haven't heard my husband or son say anything on the men's. I have seen a CM in them almost every single time I used a bathroom in the parks. I haven't seen the parks dirty in walkways compared to certain times I saw it pretty bad before covid. I haven't had issues with food or shopping at all. Every time I have gone things have been staffed fine in those areas. Heck there was a time I felt that the shops were better staffed and the CMs there had been doing better jobs then the attractions staff. Rides, the only issues we have had was just where it came with Genie+ and how some CMs are at the merge points. The trams have had issues it seems though at different points. We noticed last Saturday that it was a lot better with how many were out then the last month was with it though. Hoping that keeps up.

Another change to add to things now...French Market and Mint Julep Bar will close Feb 17th to be redone as Tiana's Palace. Sounds like once its done and opens later this year the Mint Julep Bar will still be part of things.

Blog Entries
    Another change to add to things now...French Market and Mint Julep Bar will close Feb 17th to be redone as Tiana's Palace. Sounds like once its done and opens later this year the Mint Julep Bar will still be part of things.
    I like it... and I don't. Im really, really tired of everything requiring IP. Im sure the food wont change that much and it will be a fresh look - but the popularity of things at DIsneyland is because its not tied to IP so much. MAtterhorn, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, even pirates and haunted mansion (which were first before the movies) have all been such popular attractions without any true IP connection (man of the mountain and matterhorn not withstanding). Its interesting that the art shown is actually depicting the exit of the restaurant into the dining courtyard - yet the art makes it look like its the entrance . Yeah you can go in that way too but thats not been the intended flow to date. maybe it will change. and they will need more tables than the art shows (thats one thing I always note about concept art - its not that close in terms of operational reality). These, of course, are all opinions and not based on any inside knowledge.

IMO it just feels like overkil. I love the Princess and the Frog but between the change of Splash to the store already open to this...its just a bit much. Yes it fits in the area of course but it really is to much. I do agree that not everything needs to be an IP. As you pointed out some of the most popular attractions are not IP related. I will say that I do like the picture of it but we all know its not going to look anything like that. The footprint of the area is not as big to make it so open. They literally can't really extend things out for seating without taking up walkway space. Taking up that space would be horrible in the area where its already small. I wonder though if they will leave it as a quick service though or change it to reservations only.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    IP
    Olegc, what is IP?
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Blog Entries
    IMO it just feels like overkil. I love the Princess and the Frog but between the change of Splash to the store already open to this...its just a bit much. Yes it fits in the area of course but it really is to much. I do agree that not everything needs to be an IP. As you pointed out some of the most popular attractions are not IP related. I will say that I do like the picture of it but we all know its not going to look anything like that. The footprint of the area is not as big to make it so open. They literally can't really extend things out for seating without taking up walkway space. Taking up that space would be horrible in the area where its already small. I wonder though if they will leave it as a quick service though or change it to reservations only.
    I read some of the comments on the FB post from Disney Parks. Many really love it. Many others are very adamant against it. no one is in the middle. The negatives include things like "why not just call it Tiana land and not New Orleans Square" and others about making Cafe Orleans to be Tiana's palace since thats a sit down restaurant instead of a quick serve. Interesting that one of the positives claimed its going to be great to see all of the characters from the movie - and yet the post explicitly stated this was not a character meal and you would find tiana elsewhere in New Orleans Square. Goes to show that people dont read the details. As we all know - it all depends what actually comes out- but overall I for one dont think its necessary. Maybe its because I go to the parks often and dont feel like I need to be enveloped in character and IP experience. Cant wait to hear about complaints at City Hall "Where is Tiana?! She's supposed to be at her restaurant greeting us. My daughter is devastated" LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Olegc, what is IP?
    Intellectual Property. The term is used when the Parks tend to use current or most popular film characters in order to build attractions and themed areas. So changing Splash to be Tiana's Bayou Adventure, and changing FM to be Tiana's palace, are exampled of this. SWGE is an example of this (though its in the middle since there are familiar icons and then new areas and experiences in the same universe). Changing Paradise Pier all to Pixar themed areas is another example.

I read some of the comments on the FB post from Disney Parks. Many really love it. Many others are very adamant against it. no one is in the middle. The negatives include things like "why not just call it Tiana land and not New Orleans Square" and others about making Cafe Orleans to be Tiana's palace since thats a sit down restaurant instead of a quick serve. Interesting that one of the positives claimed its going to be great to see all of the characters from the movie - and yet the post explicitly stated this was not a character meal and you would find tiana elsewhere in New Orleans Square. Goes to show that people dont read the details. As we all know - it all depends what actually comes out- but overall I for one dont think its necessary. Maybe its because I go to the parks often and dont feel like I need to be enveloped in character and IP experience. Cant wait to hear about complaints at City Hall "Where is Tiana?! She's supposed to be at her restaurant greeting us. My daughter is devastated" LOL
    LOL many that praise things IMO always sound like they are trying to kiss up to Disney in some manner. Then there are others that its obvious do like what is coming. Of course there will be many that won't as well. To me its just to much of one IP in an area...which is why it will be where people say things like "why not just call it Tiana land." I get why they are flipping French Market for it over Cafe Orleans. As the menu as it is fits more. It doesn't sound like they are full changing it but maybe giving it a more "Tiana" touch to it and adding to it. I could be wrong but its just what I take from what it says. Yep never fails that there are those not reading things but just see the title. Not character dining at all. It really doesn't have the space for that. It really makes more sense to have it in the land as well since it would be to limited in numbers of who could go in to dine. Yet it makes no sense to to have characters right there if it stays as quick service either.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Intellectual Property. The term is used when the Parks tend to use current or most popular film characters in order to build attractions and themed areas. So changing Splash to be Tiana's Bayou Adventure, and changing FM to be Tiana's palace, are exampled of this. SWGE is an example of this (though its in the middle since there are familiar icons and then new areas and experiences in the same universe). Changing Paradise Pier all to Pixar themed areas is another example.
    Thank you! I could only come up with "In Park"...LOL!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Interesting that one of the positives claimed its going to be great to see all of the characters from the movie - and yet the post explicitly stated this was not a character meal and you would find tiana elsewhere in New Orleans Square. ... Cant wait to hear about complaints at City Hall "Where is Tiana?! She's supposed to be at her restaurant greeting us. My daughter is devastated" LOL
    So the Disney photo shows Tiana waiving from her balcony. My first thought was "does that balcony currently exist?" So then I googled and found Davelandweb, which has a few great photos that when compared side-to-side with the new images really show that this is mostly just going to be changing the set decorations and probably getting rid of some of the shade structures.

I honestly didn't remember that balcony, but apparently it's been there since at least the 60's. I think it's because the shade structures that are currently there make it very difficult to see while in the food court area. So they will (at least temporarily) get rid of the ones that block the direct view of the balcony and update the lighting/signage. And then people will complain about being in direct sun and they'll bring them back. I'm guessing that they will keep the entrance where it is, and still have the exit under the Tiana sign. Structurally, this is going to be a very easy remodel - at least as compared to trying to re-do Hungry Bear to make it fit within a New Orleans theme.

Having now viewed the before and proposed after side-by-side, I am underwhelmed at the notion of turning square tables into round ones, plus the other few changes that will be made. Seriously, I would love someone to take a before/now photo at the same location and we could all play the "spot the differences" game with the two photos.