Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Chapek Fired, Iger Reinstated

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Chapek Fired, Iger Reinstated

Not April Fool's. Effective immediately.

Click here for full article.

Karin

2. # ADS

Yay!

IMO Chapek was the fall guy for what was to come because of covid. All that happened way to fast it seemed like when Iger left. Not sure I'd want to work under the guy that jumped ship because of a pandemic and what might come. I understand this is for 2 yrs and to help find someone else...um didn't he pick the last guy?

I don't think anything will change at all when it comes to what is going on in the company at this point either. So many of the changes with things like the theme parks was already in the works before covid and under Iger. I think many forget that. Iger is just better at speaking in public than Chapek though.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Well, this is hilarious! Iger was responsible for most of the issues that are driving families away from Disney. Eisner and Iger have led Disney so far away from what the dream was it is absolutely hilarious they brought him back. Good luck.

I would guess this will not change a lot of the woke-y woke-y stuff, with the exception of him trying to smooth over that one particular issue with the State of Florida that will dissolve Reedy Creek next June if nothing changes before then. That situation is probably in his job jar to at least evaluate, unless it really is an absolutely amazing opportunity for Disney to "get out" of their Reedy Creek agreement that some defenders claimed when that all played out. I don't imagine any of that process will play out with transparency to the public though, so we will probably never know unless some agreement is actually reached that does result in a reversal.

I'll optimistically hope that over the next two years we see some return to the pre-COVID park policies. I'm not naive enough to think prices will actually go down, but I will eagerly watch the actual operational policies. (in case I don't yet sound like the proverbial broken record : the need to make Park Reservations and Park Hopping limitations. )

-Dave

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

what will change is the focus on quality, service, employee engagement, and ties back to the creative process (as a media company like Disney should be). its true that much of the theme park changes wont go away BUT i think they will be modified and shifted in order to improve customer satisfaction without sacrificing revenue. Maybe reservations only for keys? (proposed by Provost Park Pass); maybe Genie+ restructured to make it more like Fastpass (at least balancing who comes and who goes) as well as limiting how many of these are sold (so that lines move). And bringing more cast back to get the service and experience aspect of a theme park visit to go up. Will you see lower prices? no - but you will see better service and experience. I think that will be seen as a plus. And I know the cast members across the company love this change.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    what will change is the focus on quality, service, employee engagement, and ties back to the creative process (as a media company like Disney should be). its true that much of the theme park changes wont go away BUT i think they will be modified and shifted in order to improve customer satisfaction without sacrificing revenue. Maybe reservations only for keys? (proposed by Provost Park Pass); maybe Genie+ restructured to make it more like Fastpass (at least balancing who comes and who goes) as well as limiting how many of these are sold (so that lines move). And bringing more cast back to get the service and experience aspect of a theme park visit to go up. Will you see lower prices? no - but you will see better service and experience. I think that will be seen as a plus. And I know the cast members across the company love this change.
    All sounds good to me. The potential for only requiring reservations for keys/passholder admissions would scratch the itch for me as a start. While I was a frequent WDW Passholder up until COVID, I can be comfortable with buying a traditional multi day park hopper as my admission media. I did that for my one post shutdown trip in Fall of 2021, and I would be more likely to be excited about planning a future trip if they offered multi day tickets without those 2 significant limitations.

As weird as this may sound with my stance on the reservations and hopping, I have sort of been feeling lately like a (long overdue... ) DL trip would make me feel less negativity in this regard, since there are only 2 parks to worry about. I guess with the somewhat lesser sheer number of restaurants within the 2 parks, it's not like WDW where you might want to say pop into Epcot for a meal at one of the many venues around World Showcase, but then need to worry about a park reservation as well as the dining reservation. Now if I could just get over the uncomfortable 5 hour airplane trip required each way for me to visit DL.... .
    Last edited by Dave1313; 11-21-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    -Dave

I kind of like park reservations. I also don't see any big deal over hopping after a certain time.
    I want more balance over Genie plus. I want maintenance getting done. Or whatever else is causing several major rides being down at the same time constantly. I want cast members to feel appreciated and happy to be there once again, which will lead to improved service.
    Price increases have always been a thing, and it isn't isolated to Disney, people still coming in droves proves they have still not reached a tipping point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I kind of like park reservations. I also don't see any big deal over hopping after a certain time.
    I want more balance over Genie plus. I want maintenance getting done. Or whatever else is causing several major rides being down at the same time constantly. I want cast members to feel appreciated and happy to be there once again, which will lead to improved service.
    Price increases have always been a thing, and it isn't isolated to Disney, people still coming in droves proves they have still not reached a tipping point.
    all this will probably happen. For Genie+ either they will limit the number that is sold or do a better job managing the balance as you say.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

all this will probably happen. For Genie+ either they will limit the number that is sold or do a better job managing the balance as you say.
    I think that it really is the balances that are out-of-whack with Genie+. Even if they are letting in the same ratio of people from each line (and I'm not convinced that they are), its a different mix of people than before.

When Fastpass was free, and Fastpass+ just gave you a slight edge in getting a sooner return time (because you didn't have to go to the attraction) and a significant convenience (because you didn't have to go to the attraction), people would see that standby line and either (1) wait in it, (2) get a free Fastpass/paid Fastpass+ or (3) decide to go on the ride on a future visit. So most of the rides had a maximum standby wait time based on what people were willing to wait vs the other options. So the Matterhorn was rarely over a 30 minute wait, Peter Pan was 45ish minutes, etc. Because if the standby was longer people would make other choices.

Now, people pay more for Genie+ can get on more rides sooner (because they are competing with fewer parkgoers for return times) but those who don't pay are stuck with options 1 or 3, so the amount of time they are wiling to wait has risen dramatically. It really reminds me of the wait times pre Fastpass (Except for Indy, which was a 3+ hour wait onto Main Street when it first opened and is now "only" 60-90 minutes). Interestingly, Peter Pan, which never had Fastpass, still seems to be about 45 minutes.

Maybe we were all just spoiled with our free virtual queues pre-COVID, but I would rather the Genie+ people get a few less rides for their $ than everyone else be stuck in hours long rides for the popular attractions.

I'm not happy that Iger is coming back. I feel like I "should" be, because "Chapek was horrible" but I think Iger was a coward for stepping down when he did, which lead to Chapek being hastily chosen for his perceived ability to be the numbers guy who could get the company through COVID, only to be questioned at every turn for his poor decision making. And now he gets to come back a hero to save the company from the disaster that he helped create. If only he had stayed through the end of his prior contract (end of 2021) then we wouldn't have had many of the early messes that Chapek created, key executives wouldn't have quit rather than continue under Chapek, and the search for a successor could have been more thoughtfully done.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I'm not happy that Iger is coming back. I feel like I "should" be, because "Chapek was horrible" but I think Iger was a coward for stepping down when he did, which lead to Chapek being hastily chosen for his perceived ability to be the numbers guy who could get the company through COVID, only to be questioned at every turn for his poor decision making. And now he gets to come back a hero to save the company from the disaster that he helped create. If only he had stayed through the end of his prior contract (end of 2021) then we wouldn't have had many of the early messes that Chapek created, key executives wouldn't have quit rather than continue under Chapek, and the search for a successor could have been more thoughtfully done.
    This 100%!!! He was a coward and didn't want to deal with the what ifs that could come from COVID. As I said I wouldn't want to work under the guy that jumped ship like he had. Would you really want him to help pick the next guy after the other one? He is no hero to those that see how this ended up either. Iger didn't want to "tarnish" himself so he up and left before he was suppose to and tossed Chapek under the bus. Now he is coming back and people are hoping things will be like it was before COVID. That is not happening. Genie+ was in the works under Iger. I would bet anything the reservation system was as well. Yes Chapek for sure was not the best but Iger was why he ended up in that position.

I don't know if anything will change at all with the way Genie+ is set up at this point. Yet it does need to be fixed. I have found it so weird that the rides that have LLs just do not seem to run as smoothly as they had with FP/MP. The amount of standby/LL needs to change to more of a standby/FP way to see if that helps or not. There are also loopholes they need to close up that would probably be helpful in getting it to be a smoother process.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

I will say two things in the Iger return vs keeping chapek. 1st - the Board knew roughly when Iger was going to leave. He cut it closer yes most likely due to COVID but the Board was dragging it's feet thinking Iger wouldn't leave when everything was great - then it got caught with it's pants down and had to make a decision. They made the same mistake Chapek did which is ... 2) focusing on the numbers only cost him his job. Chapek isn't a storyteller, can't work well with creatives, and sure as heck doesn't empathize with core fans of the company. Remember Chapek was the one who created the Vault strategy with videos - forcing a false scarcity simply to drive up demand and make more money - but nothing in service to the audience as far as quality. His total lack of understanding of entertainment world is exactly why he stumbled and the Board did too - until there was so much negativity (and inside revolt led by CFO McCarthy. Yes that one that said smaller portions were better for the waistlines).

And I think many of those "who left" were actually let go. The for er VP over entertainment, Peter Rice, was seen as next in line - and Chapek asked him to resign. Internal reports were that Chapek feared he's be removed and this other person would replace him. Better to get rid of the competition.

To Chapek everything was an asset to drive revenue (or reduce cost). Nothing there about sharing stories or focusing on sentimental views of childhood - which is why the Disney company has been so successful for so long. Call him a coward but Iger gets how to position Disney for guests, creatives, media talent, and cast members. And I've never heard Iger hosting a private dinner at 21 royal for four Parks bloggers to find out how to make people like him like Chapek did. He was a bad choice.

Tough lesson to learn for the board and chapek - and now the board had better figure out who to bring in - and then make Iger leave after his contract is done. Greed makes you do bad things.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk

From Currence: Even if they are letting in the same ratio of people from each line (and I'm not convinced that they are), its a different mix of people than before.

From observation the only ride even remotely close to blending lines is Screamin'. The cast member was sending the standby line up the left staircase and the Genie line up the right, until the area was full. Guardians get pretty close if the Genie line isn't backed way out.

A posted standby time on Toy Story should include about half the chain area. Currently a 45 minute standby line consists of 2/3 of the interior room being full. This line never needed fastpass to begin with and showed this same bad blending when it opened the fastpass line.

Spiderman, we were the next 2, they filled the room completely from the Genie line, then filled it again and put Whistler and I in that group. RSR uses this same mix, we use single rider when it is just us so you can really watch the merge point when you are in the upper part of the line waiting for a car.

It is different people, I agree. But the Genie line is affecting DAS and rider swap returns as well when you have to wait just as long again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I would guess this will not change a lot of the woke-y woke-y stuff, with the exception of him trying to smooth over that one particular issue with the State of Florida that will dissolve Reedy Creek next June if nothing changes before then. That situation is probably in his job jar to at least evaluate, unless it really is an absolutely amazing opportunity for Disney to "get out" of their Reedy Creek agreement that some defenders claimed when that all played out. I don't imagine any of that process will play out with transparency to the public though, so we will probably never know unless some agreement is actually reached that does result in a reversal...........
    I guess I was both right and wrong on that part. Link. Seems things are being discussed, so it must have been in his job jar. I am surprised (for both Disney and the State of FL, actually) that the fact that it is being discussed has leaked out. I really did not expect to hear about it so soon.

I won't pretend to know all the details of the actual agreement as it was/is to guess what sort of changes the "possible modifications" could entail.
    -Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I guess I was both right and wrong on that part. Link. Seems things are being discussed, so it must have been in his job jar. I am surprised (for both Disney and the State of FL, actually) that the fact that it is being discussed has leaked out. I really did not expect to hear about it so soon.

I won't pretend to know all the details of the actual agreement as it was/is to guess what sort of changes the "possible modifications" could entail.
    Many financial analysts and observers of political elections all stated when it was announced that it most likely would not be enforced and in fact may be reversed. They time to invoke the closure of Reedy Creek was set for summer of 2023 - well beyond the Nov 2022 election. Most claimed this was simply election hype to get the base riled up and fight against the "woke" complaints from the conservative side. All of the financial implications for the state as well as the residents to pick up the debt was a primary reason this most likely would not have passed.

I thought it most interesting that DeSantis - upon Chapek's firing - sort of praised Iger coming in to stop the woke policies of Chapek. DeSantis must not have done any background history reading on Iger's support of inclusiveness and diversity.

Many financial analysts and observers of political elections all stated when it was announced that it most likely would not be enforced and in fact may be reversed. They time to invoke the closure of Reedy Creek was set for summer of 2023 - well beyond the Nov 2022 election. Most claimed this was simply election hype to get the base riled up and fight against the "woke" complaints from the conservative side. All of the financial implications for the state as well as the residents to pick up the debt was a primary reason this most likely would not have passed.

I thought it most interesting that DeSantis - upon Chapek's firing - sort of praised Iger coming in to stop the woke policies of Chapek. DeSantis must not have done any background history reading on Iger's support of inclusiveness and diversity.
    This whole thing has been about as disingenuine as it comes. I continue to believe that getting rid of Reddy Creek was a knee jerk reaction to Chapek coming out (belatedly) against "Don't say gay" and done without any real contemplation of the aftermath. Which is probably why, six-ish months later, the official public line still seems to be "we have a plan and we'll announce it shortly."

I kinda hope that the plan is to go back to Disney with their tail tucked between their legs and ask them to re-assume the debt that the legislature kindly shifted to the state of Florida. But I'm still guessing that they will try to save face by trying to change the terms ever so slightly in exchange for whatever concession Disney gets in return. I can easily see Disney giving up their rights to build a nuclear power plant and/or airport if it means they can continue self-governing. I'm guessing DeSantis is really excited that Igar is back - I think he will have a better grasp of the politics of the situation and how to make a deal.

While I'm guessing if it happened it would have leaked, I would love to find out that DeSantis tried to make a deal with Chapek and was straight-up told no - that Disney didn't want to be liable for the debt after all and would figure out a way to make due with county services rather than self-fund their own. Probably nowhere near reality, but it's fun to contemplate.

Since Igar was seen with D'Aamro at Disneyland for Candlelight, I wonder how much of parks, experiences, etc is back on his active radar?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Since Igar was seen with D'Aamro at Disneyland for Candlelight, I wonder how much of parks, experiences, etc is back on his active radar?
    Well it was Candlelight - so a special event that would get lots of attention. And D'Amaro is no dummy - he knows who to hang on to in order to look good and get into good graces. Until he is the top dog (somewhere) he does what his boss says. I do think Iger though does have a better grasp on "show" and what the guests at parks expect - even if he doesnt visit very often. I think this also may be why at D23 D'Amaro kept saying "we have ideas"... instead of a firm date on anything because Chapek wouldnt commit. Iger has proven how to broker a well rounded deal that leads to growth, guest satisfaction, and profits for the company. Jim Korkis had a great article on MP today regarding Walt's focus on business and money. I'd say Iger is no Walt, but he leans in that direction from his business chair.