Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Takeaways from D23 Expo's Boundless Future Panel

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Takeaways from D23 Expo's Boundless Future Panel

My Disney Top 5 - Takeaways from D23 Expo's Boundless Future Panel by Chris Barry

Chris dissects the recent D23 Disney Parks panel.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I have watched and read a few summary videos (from generally respected Disney fan YouTube channels) and comments about the general announcements, but did not watch the actual live streams of the panels in their entirety myself, so perhaps a few of my observations/comments may be off, but here goes .

5) While I don't know for sure, some of the reactions I saw to this announcement varied a little from thinking the HEA show is returning in it's previous form. I've heard that the SONG Happily Ever After will be returning as part of it, and the new show will be something to commemorate the 100 Years of Disney celebration. It will most likely have a lot of elements from the previous HEA show, but not be the exact thing we've seen before. Not that that's a bad thing, but just a possibility that it won't be HEA too close to as it was known originally.

I guess I may possibly never see Disney Enchantment up closer to the Castle, depending on when I decide to return. I did see it one time from the Flag Pole area, but that was it.

4) I'm not a huge meet and greet participant, but this is great news for all the Figment fans out there. I agree that is very odd that he is such a prominent character for the park and has not had a meet and greet for so long.

3) Interesting, I suppose. My initial reaction is that all of this would be outside the berm, but then again so are Space Mountain and now Tron. And of course they have both Toon Town and GE outside the berm in Disneyland. Just taking a quick look at Google Maps, there seems to be a fair amount of water management canal work back there (and of course Rivers of America is right there), along with the surrounding roadway. So I guess it will be an interesting project to see how it evolves if they ever do break ground for anything behind Big Thunder. It certainly would be popular if it's one Villains themed area! Some interpretations I saw regarding this seemed to believe that it was this and also the Encanto and Coco stuff all in that one space simultaneously. That would seem to be putting the proverbial 10 pounds of stuff in the 5 pound bag (and as a few on a MP D23 thread have commented on, the Villains concept probably doesn't mix well with Encanto and Coco as part of one area/land). A fifth gate focused on Villains would be welcomed if it may spread out the crowds more. But with Disney's drive to micro managing their staffing prediction capabilities as they are via park reservations system, I really can't see them deciding to pony up to do a 5th park any time soon.

2) They definitely should do something with that area. I always thought the Dino-Rama area was incredibly out of place for a Disney Park. I like Dinosaur, but the whole Dino-Rama thing has always looked cheesy, IMO. It' s of course worse now that the former Primeval Whirl location is empty. (I was not a huge fan of the ride, but I went on it a few times. It was normally not a huge wait, at least ). I agree on Moana being both in Epcot and DAK would seem like a bit of overkill for representation of one movie. While the Epcot attraction looks like it will be visually impressive, it does look like it might have been a better fit at DAK.

Zootopia could be interesting, but might change the feel of the park a bit much (though it would be hard for it to seem more out of place than Dino-Rama). I always remember the Joe Rohde interviews where he referred to the "no pants on the animals" rule for DAK(classic characters like Mickey excepted, of course). Since he of course has moved on to a different company, he no longer has a say, so Disney can do whatever they want, but he was probably/possibly right on that idea, I think.

If they did do Zootopia, it might be OK if they keep it in the footprint of the existing Dino Land (or possibly up to taking over the Finding Nemo Theater space, that would probably not bother me to much if they found a better use for it). With the challenges Disney has had with the shows (Rivers of Light and now Kite Tails) designed for the new stadium seating around the water in front of Everest, it's not hard to think that they might want to expand a new land out to that area as well to take advantage of the space. (though that may not be possible, that huge body of water may be critical for the rain management of the park... it would certainly be a big deal to convert it, I'm sure) Anyway, my point is IF that area also was transformed to Zootopia, I would feel like it was pushing in and intruding on the look of the Asia section of the park too much. (and I'd miss the great views of Everest from across the park while dining at Flame Tree )

1) I have to admit I've not yet seen either of those films, but everything I hear is pretty good about them and how well they could translate into park areas. I really need to take some time to check them out someday, I suppose.

General

It's not too surprising that there were no huge announcements. In fairness, Disney is still after all trying to clean up and recover from the alteration of many of their plans due to pandemic slowdowns and or cash flow loss due to same.

Yes it's taken 5+ years to build Tron (though with it being a clone, only so much of that can be blamed on the pandemic). Yes it's a shame the walls will still be up for much of the front of Epcot for it's 40th birthday. It does seem like they cheaped out in a big way with the Splash make-over into Tiana, the elimination of the huge "weenie" element of Mama Odie's boat and the large tree at the top of the mountain reduces the impressiveness of the make-over greatly. It's essentially a bunch of new types of simulated vegetation with a water tower now based on the model I saw pictures of.

The Hatbox Ghost while a relatively small thing is something originally planned prior to pandemic(I think), so it's good to see that will cross the finish line to be reality. Also like you stated, Figment meet and greet should be good for lot of people. In a similar area, the announced meet and greet with The Mandalorian and Grogu should be pretty popular too.

Harmonious didn't get much of a run. I'm fairly certain a lot of the fan rejection of that show is due to the eye-sores of the barges that are out on the lagoon permanently. If the replacement means the elimination of the barges, that may be great. If it is just something new that re-uses those barges (which would seem probable?), then it may not be accepted/embraced by the fans any better than Harmonious was. I didn't see you comment on this, but a video I watched mentioned Epcot Forever would be returning in between the conclusion of Harmonious and the new show. I guess with Kite Tails ending, the jet skis are available again .

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but the park reservations and new hopping rules are not IMO "moving forward". They were accepted by the public as part of the re-opening effort as necessary (at the time, which I can agree they were) so people got used to it. Then Disney decided to keep those changes even though it has nothing to do with the pandemic at this point. I guess it doesn't bother enough guests that there is any chance (unless attendance drops once some of the "revenge travel" slows down) of it ever reverting to the old ways though.

I can't imagine it would have been received well if not for the pandemic if Disney had just announced one day they were changing those rules "just because, to predict staffing needs". There would have been mad guests with the proverbial pitchforks and torches everywhere.

-Dave

The only announcements I liked from D23 were the new Duffy D+ show, getting rid of Harmonius and Enchantment, and the Figment Meet & Greet. I cringed or was indifferent to the other announcements.

Dave1313 I have been wondering for a while now why you haven't been offered a role at Mouseplanet? Or maybe you have. While I don't agree with everything you write, I do enjoy reading your posts. I don't remember, have you ever done a trip report?

Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Dave1313 I have been wondering for a while now why you haven't been offered a role at Mouseplanet? Or maybe you have. While I don't agree with everything you write, I do enjoy reading your posts. I don't remember, have you ever done a trip report?
    Thanks for the feedback, Chuck. I'm glad to hear you enjoy some of my posts. I definitely don't consider myself even a semi-professional level writer, I'm an engineer (not all of us are known for our writing prowess ) , so what eventually gets posted sometimes evolves a little before I hit the post button!

Being an engineer, you can understand many of the angles of my thoughts are definitely on the technical analysis side of things, since that's sort of what I do (though not for theme parks, of course). As to a role at MousePlanet, I've never considered my musings interesting enough to think I could generate much brand new content like Chris and the other writers do, so that thought would have never crossed my mind. (I feel I mostly reply to topics that come up and/or pull at a thread here or there for things that are current items of discussion). And to be honest, (I know you've noted this as well) the board seems to be shrinking in amount of activity over the last few years.

I admit I've never written a trip report (though I've considered it). I have in the past taken some detailed notes (on paper - I know, how old fashioned is that! ) with the intent of documenting what I did each day. But I never took the time to fully translate my notes into the computer for posting a report (I might have started once, but then something came up in life that time so I dropped the effort). I also did this regularly for my own research/understanding of how long it would take me to get from place to place and cover all the wait times I experienced (note the engineering/data analysis theme there...though I really never have formally compiled those records thoroughly even for my own use).

Now that I think about it, I did participate in something "trip report like" that a few of us did back in the early COVID forced cancelled trip days of the first half of 2020. I can't take credit for the idea though. Sean, ssmerdel proposed in the normal "Today I wish I was..." thread of that time that those of us with trips automatically cancelled by the closures cover what we had intended to do on our trip days that got cancelled.

So I did that for my 6 day trip that was cancelled due to the closure : "Today I Wish I Was (That Wasnt)". The first entry can be found here (they are pretty short, maybe a paragraph or 2 for each day).
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    ........... I can't take credit for the idea though. Sean Shawn, ssmerdel proposed in the normal "Today I wish I was..." thread of that time that those of us with trips automatically cancelled by the closures cover what we had intended to do on our trip days that got cancelled. .......
    Realized a few minutes past the editing window I spelled ssmerdel's name Shawn wrong... sorry about that!
    -Dave

Hey Dave1313, I am just going to take a wild stab in the dark and say as a Pennsylvania Engineer you may work on helicopters? And I challenge you the next time you go to WDW write an in-depth trip report.
    And another question, why is Disney doing all these specials for people that belong to Disney +? Are people leaving Disney + in droves due to the content that has nothing to do with family or Walt Disney values? I know we got sick of it. Little Demons right.

Little Demons doesnt belong on a Disney Channel aimed at families. Theres a petition circulating against it.

Hey Chris!

Another great one - and LOL - we did have that little letdown together via text during the Figment part of the presentation:-)

5) Yes! Yes! Yes! So happy about the return of Happily Ever After. I always got choked up watching that one - perfect mix of show elements and it had a lot of heart. Enchantment is......ok. I enjoyed it, but for me, it lacked the emotional punch of its predecessor. I also saw it before they added the Walt piece, and my main reaction on seeing it was "why is a special show for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World only about the films and not about the park at all?" - glad they addressed that.

4) Our letdown moment:-) They need to address the ride (which I actually don't hate as much as many - I just think they could do more), but for now, will be happy to see the little purple guy walking around in whatever form he takes.

3) I've been wanting this one for a long time. They could do so much with a villains themed land or park (land would be fine), and as you pointed out, there are so many great baddies to choose from - Cruella, Ursula, Jafar, Hades - the possibilities are endless. With modern technology, can't even imagine what great rides they could come up with. Really hope this one happens.

2) Like you, I do enjoy Dinosaur (though I think it pales compared to Indiana Jones, it's Disneyland cousin) and I actually liked Primieval Whirl. What I hate is the big parking lot that land has become. There's a big piece of real estate that's obviously not being used and it's out in the open for all to see. I think Zootopia and Moana would be great jumping off points for a new land, and either could fit the theming of the Animal Kingdom. Hopefully it won't take too long, because this area of the park really needs some TLC.

1) I will admit, my initial reaction to this part of the presentation was that they haven't announced anything new of substance, so they're going to throw some "Blue Sky" concepts out to us in an attempt to keep fans placated, and that anything they talk about here would come circa 2030. That said, I'm going to join you in being optimistic, because what they described does sound pretty awesome - not one, not two, but three new lands for the Magic Kingdom!! The theming sounds great for all three, and Lin Manuel Miranda recently said in an interview that he was pushing Imagineering to come up with an Encanto that people could experience in person. Especially with a third Universal park about to hit Orlando, here's hoping Disney wants to try to top them, and that these new lands will come sooner rather than later.

So, thanks again for a great article! I join you in your optimism for WDW's future. Development there comes in waves. We've just had a few new E-Tickets added, so many the next wave is coming sooner than we think!

Hey Dave1313, I am just going to take a wild stab in the dark and say as a Pennsylvania Engineer you may work on helicopters? And I challenge you the next time you go to WDW write an in-depth trip report.
    And another question, why is Disney doing all these specials for people that belong to Disney +? Are people leaving Disney + in droves due to the content that has nothing to do with family or Walt Disney values? I know we got sick of it. Little Demons right.
    I haven't worked on Helicopters, but I think there is a plant for that a bit to the West of me. I'd consider a trip report one day maybe. I need to find a stronger desire to want to go back first! I've considered a fall trip, but was thinking of maybe only doing one or 2 days max at WDW and hitting UO, SeaWorld, and maybe even taking a detour down south to check out Busch Gardens for the first time. Fall is disappearing fast though. Disney+, I don't know. Supposedly it's doing very well, so it's not like they need to get people to subscribe to it just to get a discount for WDW offers (and I'm thinking when they make those offers, it always says you have to be a subscriber prior to some date that was before the offer was announced...).

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Little Demons doesnt belong on a Disney Channel aimed at families. Theres a petition circulating against it.
    Yeah. I had no idea what that was, but looked it up. Sounds like a really twisted show, not something I would expect from Disney. It's not like it's on the actual Disney Channel or Disney+, but still.... Hazards of Disney deciding to buy platforms that have very little or nothing to do with their supposed core business, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey021 View Post
    Hey Chris!

2) Like you, I do enjoy Dinosaur (though I think it pales compared to Indiana Jones, it's Disneyland cousin) and I actually liked Primieval Whirl. What I hate is the big parking lot that land has become. There's a big piece of real estate that's obviously not being used and it's out in the open for all to see. I think Zootopia and Moana would be great jumping off points for a new land, and either could fit the theming of the Animal Kingdom. Hopefully it won't take too long, because this area of the park really needs some TLC.
    Considering the overall theme of Dino-Rama anyway, it would from the outside seem like a relatively easy thing to do to just create some more cheap game booths to go with those already there. That would seem better than leaving it empty. Then again, maybe those game booths are engineered/themed to just look cheap. It could be a complex (even if small) structure for those to survive the weather of central FL.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Little Demons doesn’t belong on a Disney Channel aimed at families. There’s a petition circulating against it.
    You are the man Kid!

Hey Dave 1313 I have been to Busch Gardens one time and I really liked it. I will be going back too. Universal is ok, they sure are trying to up there game.

Hey Dave 1313 I have been to Busch Gardens one time and I really liked it. I will be going back too. Universal is ok, they sure are trying to up there game.
    Glad to hear the positive vote for Busch Gardens.

I've been to both Sea World and Universal in the past (most recently Universal last fall). Back pre-COVID changes, my routine used to consist of a trip in the spring and a trip in the fall, with my main focus being hitting all 4 Disney parks, and then occasionally taking a day to hit either Sea World or Universal some of those trips. While I enjoyed Universal every time I went, I had only done it probably 3 or 4 times over 10 years. Sea World probably more, I would try to go at least every other year during one of my trips.

All the Disney changes have made me consider arranging a trip with the priorities inverted, focusing on the other non-Disney attractions, then maybe just one or two days for WDW. I'm not really into the idea of going to Epcot multiple days in the hopes of maybe being lucky enough to get either a virtual queue or ILL for Guardians. (same for MK and TRON when that opens next year).

I haven't actually scheduled such a trip focusing on other attractions yet, but I may try to do so before wintertime.
    -Dave