Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: D23 Parks Panel

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

D23 Parks Panel

"Everything we learned at Disney's Parks Panel at the 2022 D23 Expo".

Click here for full article.

OP's note: OMG, Porto's at Downtown Disney! Yum! And that's going to be crazy busier than Starbuck's.

Karin

2. # ADS

So awkward that whole thing. It seemed like everything we already knew because its already being done or it was already mentioned by Disney before. The whole Avengers ride, the way its talked about its reminds me of how ROTR was talked about by them. I'm not a Marvel fan but have them in the house so shall see how that goes when more details are given at some point. LOL I will say it seemed like so much of that whole panel was stuff trying to fill the time and they didn't have much to really do a panel that long. The whole Blue Sky WDW was just beyond weird and came off as more as an office conversation of bouncing ideas around than something for a panel.

Poor Tomorrowland still getting the shaft. And do we really need the Wharf rethemed? I love Baymax but the money could be better spent really.

With the bringing out of LinaBell and Duffy show, was there anything at the Duffy panel on if we would see him and his friends in the parks here again?

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was at D23 but could not get in to the parks panel - but I did watch the livestream. My take for Disneyland was it had a lot of meet and greets and entertainment (which creates big crowds by the way) but not a lot on the attraction side at Disneyland. DCA still getting the love I think because they want more people to be there longer. I also don't get that Wharf needed theming change - but I get it. Right now you have a "land" that only has food and one shop (across from Mermaid). if you recall the building facades across from mermaid between parade corridor and GRR is supposed to be San Francisco. Interesting to create the Golden Gate in the view (yes, an artists concept) - wondering where they would really put that - since crossing the bridge to Pixar Pier is not really a Golden Gate thing. Please, though, no Baymax spinner. we have a spinner 50 yards away in carsland. Sure feels like the investments are overlays and placemaking and not really solid attractions. Even the Avengers 3rd attraction 2.0 is going to be a rehash of Star Tours with new video (you can tell from the ride vehicle in the concept art). and probably alternate interaction for the multiverse (sort of like the changing locations in Star Tours). So the multiverse videos will be new but the overall concept is 30 years old. And its another attraction I wont be able to ride due to Motion problems.

As far as DtD - that whole Southern california vibe to me now smacks a lot of "why do you need to visit South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island - just come here". Trying to keep more tourists on site longer. Locals they dont really care - which again is a SMH moment. And Porto's coming is yummy yes but are you ready to pay maybe double the price and the big line? I hope they build a room next door where they can hold the line instead of it being in the walkways.

If you did not attend D23 it was very awkward for several booths that had small queues for giveaway or LE sales - they would shoo people away saying they are not starting yet - which means people (like me with Disney Publishing) did small circles around the booth back and forth waiting for them to say go - and then it was a madhouse. Leslie Iwerks' new book sale and signing was a great example. The other issue too was many popular booths would have their lines closed - and folks were told they are waiting for it to go down but they didnt wait long - when room for one or two people was available they'd allow folks to enter who happened to come along - then close it again. Lots of CMs keeping people back telling folks you cant hang out - you have to move along and come back later - but we see the game - so we hang out and move around slowly until another spot is there and we try to jump in. If we dont make it then we repeat our zombie-like saunter waiting for a spot. If this happens in DtD for popular places to eat - both Porto's and the new dim sum place - for walk ins they will have to rethink this.

I hate to bring up a same topic - but new things are announced without operational considerations and the response - on a broad level - tends to be sorry this is a very popular thing (and we are trying to push exclusivity) - maybe come back later or on your next visit. Or pay extra for a spot. And you can tell these days Disneyland leadership itself is just a recipient of what exec management wants. Ken Potrock's comment in IG felt like it was "hey, wow, did you see what was announced - sounds like good things coming our way". Really Ken? I'd think you were part of the internal discussions for the announcement.

Sorry for the long rant - I could go much further about D23 overall. Some moments were great, some crowd flow was really great, but other times it was maddening how close they made us stay together in queues. Felt like no A/C in the building. And the RSP was not really random for all guests. I got three experiences, one that was a #1, but others had all the big panels, and giveaways etc. The shopping VQ had its ups and downs but i guess worked as it was supposed to (which was weird - request in D23 expo app, takes you to a web page to then click a link to open the Disneyland app). I guess it was so you could not go to Dland app directly to request VQ (in case you were not at D23 Expo). Many times some stores would do standby at random, and at end of the show. The giveaways too - sometimes there would be a lot extra so they would open the line - but you'd have to hang out for timing.

I guess the big takeaway for me on the parks panel was a lot of cool overlays and entertainment - but attractions are bigger overseas (which pay Disney direct money instead of it being internal). D23 Expo was same problems as last time but with more hoops to jump through due to technology (sounds similar to Disneyland). And next expo I expect the same - its always a new crew every year running things since they go through the meat grinder to run the show.

The final event - the Voices panel - is always a great highlight. Go to youtube and see if someone posted a link. you will enjoy it.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Thanks olegc for giving the feedback on your experience. I will never pay for it myself. It sounds like way more of a pain than its worth but that is me.

When it comes to Porto's and the dim sum place, no thanks. If a local really wants Porto's neighboring Buena Park has one there. Its not my kind of pastries at all. I had looked up the other place and its not for me. So still nothing to lure me into DTD for food when there. I am glad they are adding more variety though so it does give more options to people that will go eat over there.

With the Golden Gate like bridge. I would assume that would be the bridge going to the Wharf area by the Pacific Wharf Cafe. Which it really seems to be to much IMO for right there with that look though. I don't think there is plans for any ride there at all either. It seems its just a retheme of an area that doesn't need it and a meet and greet with Baymax. BTW, agree we don't need any more spinner rides. As you said lots of meet and greet announcements, lots of rehashing of things we knew already and lots of awkward giggling office talk.. LOL While even the overseas stuff discussed was the good stuff, it was also still stuff already known because its been in the works for a while now.

If the Avengers ride is similar to Star Tours then yet again just another rehash of a ride we already have with a different theme in a different park. I had no clue you couldn't ride that stuff. Yikes. I know with Star Tours there is one scene in water that I have to close my eyes or I will get sick from seeing the waves. The motion doesn't make me sick but I can't even watch the ocean waves for long before I feel like that. The last 2 times we went on that I ended up with that darn scene too.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

One other theme park comment - anyone who saw the presentation noticed that "Beyond Thunder Mountain" concept for WDW. many folks I spoke with afterward said three new lands- Coco village, Encanto Madrigal house, and a Villains area. These were REALLY blue sky ideas in once concept drawing. I noted, though, that its not really three lands. Its one land (Beyond Thunder Mountain) with three sub themes. its similar to what they've done in Tokyo DisneySea with Fantasy Springs - as well as the DisneylandForward concept art. I think this is why Disneyland doesn't have much - there isn't any more room. And my guess is they also are very reluctant to shut down Tomorrowland for 2 years like they did in the 90s for Tomorrowland98. This is why they kick the can down the road.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    One other theme park comment - anyone who saw the presentation noticed that "Beyond Thunder Mountain" concept for WDW. many folks I spoke with afterward said three new lands- Coco village, Encanto Madrigal house, and a Villains area. These were REALLY blue sky ideas in once concept drawing. I noted, though, that its not really three lands. Its one land (Beyond Thunder Mountain) with three sub themes. its similar to what they've done in Tokyo DisneySea with Fantasy Springs - as well as the DisneylandForward concept art. I think this is why Disneyland doesn't have much - there isn't any more room. And my guess is they also are very reluctant to shut down Tomorrowland for 2 years like they did in the 90s for Tomorrowland98. This is why they kick the can down the road.
    Exactly, its not 3 lands but just one. Its such a mash up where the 2 could fit ok together but the 3rd doesn't. As well as I have seen to many think this is in the works and going to happen. They don't understand that there is a good chance it won't and was just more than likely them filling space where they had nothing else. That is why I have called it office talk and awkward filler.

I get it with Tomorrowland. Yet they did close Toontown to redo that area. I know its not as long as the last Tomorowland redo. The thing is with Tomorrowland not everything has to be ripped apart and really messed with. They could really do this in phases (which they seem to love doing now) and some things don't need to be changed. Just fresh coats of paint and a good refurb to the rides. I know if they were to ever do a thing to bring the PeopleMover back that it would be the big job to get done and would effect a lot of the land at different points of work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Exactly, its not 3 lands but just one. Its such a mash up where the 2 could fit ok together but the 3rd doesn't. As well as I have seen to many think this is in the works and going to happen. They don't understand that there is a good chance it won't and was just more than likely them filling space where they had nothing else. That is why I have called it office talk and awkward filler.

I get it with Tomorrowland. Yet they did close Toontown to redo that area. I know its not as long as the last Tomorowland redo. The thing is with Tomorrowland not everything has to be ripped apart and really messed with. They could really do this in phases (which they seem to love doing now) and some things don't need to be changed. Just fresh coats of paint and a good refurb to the rides. I know if they were to ever do a thing to bring the PeopleMover back that it would be the big job to get done and would effect a lot of the land at different points of work.
    one edit - I think the image of the vehicle for Avengers new attraction is more like what Spiderman or Transformers has instead of Star Tours. Also the size at ROTR. Scott Trowbridge responsible for all three.

As far as T-land - i think they also have analysis paralysis because a phased approach means cutting off half the land. You wouldn't just bring down Innoventions because its not big enough for another attraction (modern ones with good tech) so you have to think of taking out Autopia, then does that mean Mermaid? and do you shut down Monorail while you do all this? and how does Monorail fit if you put in a big attraction building? there's also zero room behind innoventions (I've been back there while running RunDisney stuff in years past). So you can go deeper. You could get rid of Alien Pizza Planet - but that would hurt your dining dollars. Overall - i think its either shut it all down and do everything at one or you will get very small upgrades that dont pack any punch. And I dont know if the Disneyland visitors at large would go for that in Tomorrowland (or if Disney execs wouldn't want huge return of more attendance given a new attraction there. ). My 2 cents on that.

Speaking of RunDIsney returning. Meh... I'm kind of over it. I'm still an avid runner - and all my friends in my running groups are going gaga over the announcement - but I cant see them offering anything over a 10K - and if they do offer a half marathon that race itself will be $200. if you want to race more that's more. The medals are fantastic; the entertainment on course usually is pretty good; but the pricing is ginormous these days.

Oh when runDisney played games a few years ago with the virtual runs and jerked everyone around with the release date, I was done. We had done everyone of them up to that point. They had a date up then dropped it. Then nothing and no emails on it. Go back to check and it was all sold out. I know I wasn't the only one not happy with that. So they won't see my money going to it again. It was fun when we did them but I have no desire to pay whatever hike they will end up putting on it here. Its just not worth it.

To add, with Innoventions, they obviously have no plans to remove that as it is. Remember they are adding the DVC lounge to the 2nd floor there. Which I find a bit silly and waste to do. Yet obviously Disney is trying to lure more DVC owners and more this way with the new tower so guess they figured they would make them a lounge in one of the parks too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    To add, with Innoventions, they obviously have no plans to remove that as it is. Remember they are adding the DVC lounge to the 2nd floor there. Which I find a bit silly and waste to do. Yet obviously Disney is trying to lure more DVC owners and more this way with the new tower so guess they figured they would make them a lounge in one of the parks too.
    Obvious nod to the fact that they want to attract, cater, and retain guests who are willing to spend the most amount of money possible. Taking a risk there - but they'd rather do that then try for something everyone can enjoy.

BTW - I spoke with two different Imagineers in the Pavillion - and both said there are no specific plans at this time for Pooh ride, Hungry Bear, or the shops in the back. So the takeover of Splash by Tiana will stop there for now. However, they could announce at any time, right?