Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: First Timer Priorities

First Timer Priorities

We are planning a trip in June which will be my Daughter in Laws first time going to WDW. We have 5 days in the parks. What do you think are the most important things to do, see, eat for a first timer?

~Wendy~ Trips to the World ~ 21 * 19 * 18 * 15 * 09 * 10/05 * 6/05 * 02 * 99 * 95 * 91 * 89 * 88 * 81 * 79 * 77 * 76 * 74

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW heart View Post
    We are planning a trip in June which will be my Daughter in Laws first time going to WDW. We have 5 days in the parks. What do you think are the most important things to do, see, eat for a first timer?
    Epcot, for sure, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom since those are all parks not in Anaheim, if she's been there. Take the time to walk around and really soak in the beauty and atmosphere at each park. They really are beautiful in so many different ways.

Magic Kingdom - Haunted Mansion for comparison to Disneyland's. Carousel of Progress. It's been gone from DL for decades. People Mover. A great way to get around Tomorrowland and see a lot. Seven Dwarves Mine Train is fun but can be a loooong wait for a short ride. Pooh Bear is a favorite of mine. We always hit Columbia Harbor House to eat. Tradition.

Animal Kingdom - don't miss Pandora or the Avatar attraction. Eat at Saatuli's Canteen for sure. Very different from any other restaurant. Ride Everest if you like rollercoasters. So much fun! Yak & Yeti to eat or the take out window next door. The Safari Trek is different than anything else at a Disney park.

Hollywood Studios - Galaxy's Edge, if you haven't been to Disneyland's. Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance, for sure, and Micky & Minnie's Runaway Railway. Avoid Rizzo's Pizzaria. The Derby is fun to eat at and the food is good.

Epcot - TestTrack and Mission:Space are must do's. Via Napoli is the best place to eat, IMO. Germany's Biergarten and Morocco's Marrakesh are also super yummy. The walk up place, Tangerine Cafe, in Morocco is great.

That's enough from me. Other folks will weigh in with their must do's and must eat's. Have fun!
    Karin

I would have to generically say that it probably depends on your DiL's connection to the various characters/stories that currently make up Disney.

Examples, huge Star Wars fans obviously should see Galaxy's Edge (but might be OK skipping Toy Story Land), or vice versa for those who love the Toy Story franchise, but don't care for SW. People seriously in love with Classic Disney stories obviously should focus a fair bit on Fantasyland in MK.

That's just one example. I don't think there's a one size fits all answer.

Same for food. Someone who isn't a meat eater obviously doesn't want to go to Le Cellier or Yachtsman Steak House. Assuming no allergies to ice cream or frozen treats, get a mickey bar (or sandwich ) and/or a Dole Whip as a starting goal.

Very generically again, I would suggest perhaps a slower pace than more frequent visitors. Possibly one of each of the 4 parks for your first 4 days, then choose the last park day based on your DiL's favorites or "I wish I had done that thing I saw the other day" attractions as a clean-up for the 5th day. True with park reservations, that might be a small risk, but it's probably pretty small, unless there is some huge event going on the 5 days you are there. Reservations, while a pain in the butt can be changed relatively easily on non-crowd intensive days, I believe. Normally I am a fan of Hoppers, but maybe not worth it with a slower pace and the current limitation of not being able to do so before 2 PM.

If you are going for the biggest "wow", I'd start with trying to make sure to fit in at least one of FoP or RotR. Obviously it could be challenging (or time consuming, or at the least expensive if you buy into the Individual Lightning Lane thing) to do both. Just an opening suggestion.

How much prep/learning about what's there are you expecting your DiL to be interested in doing prior to the trip? Even though it's overwhelming a little bit, reviewing the WDW site for the attractions and/or restaurants could at least give her something to consider and then discuss with you before hand. Unless this is intended to be a scenario where she is in the mode of "going with you" and wants to just let you guide/control the flow of everything without thinking about it.

{edit: a combination of me taking a while to type and getting distracted caused me to write the above before seeing Karin's response . She has good suggestions too! . And as for "unique" factor, I definitely agree with the Wild Africa Trek, it looks like maybe they are offering it again starting in early February. It's not a cheap thing to do, especially if you have a large group, but if all are physically in good enough shape to do it (climbing a little, walking across rope bridges up in the air(not afraid of heights), etc), it's an awesome experience. I've done it twice and would consider doing it again. Obviously if someone is not that into the animals, it might not be as cool as I think it is though(YMMV).}

Last edited by Dave1313; 01-14-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    -Dave

I think Karin and Dave have great suggestions as always, one thing you might not have thought about and depends on whether you like that kind of thing is the water parks. Either Blizzard Beach or Tycoon Lagoon. I laugh out loud at those places. So much fun. And we always like to spend half a day at Disney Springs. Get something to eat and look around and stuff we can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    I think Karin and Dave have great suggestions as always, one thing you might not have thought about and depends on whether you like that kind of thing is the water parks. Either Blizzard Beach or Tycoon Lagoon. I laugh out loud at those places. So much fun. And we always like to spend half a day at Disney Springs. Get something to eat and look around and stuff we can't afford.
    Is that where Chapek hangs out? (I know it was an innocent typo of Typhoon Lagoon, but I couldn't resist! )

On a similar note to Chuck's suggestion on water parks, I'll add the suggestion of considering the miniature golf offerings, if that is something your SiL and the rest of your family may like. I think the best (also can be the most crowded due to the theme) of the ones on WDW property is the Fantasia Gardens one, right near the Swan and Dolphin. It's relatively easy to get to, it can even be done as a couple of hour break (I'm including going to/from) from DHS or EPC. It's not too bad at all to either walk it or take the boat from the front of DHS to the Swan/Dolphin and then walk around the Swan hotel to the mini-golf (It takes a bit longer if starting from the back door of EPC - longer walk or more stops on the boat). Or if you are doing Blizzard Beach, the Winter/Summerland courses are right outside the gate there, in the same parking lot and bus stop. They are fun too, maybe not as nice as Fantasia Gardens, but if you are there anyway for the water park, it may be a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone if you are already there.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Is that where Chapek hangs out? (I know it was an innocent typo of Typhoon Lagoon, but I couldn't resist! )

On a similar note to Chuck's suggestion on water parks, I'll add the suggestion of considering the miniature golf offerings, if that is something your SiL and the rest of your family may like. I think the best (also can be the most crowded due to the theme) of the ones on WDW property is the Fantasia Gardens one, right near the Swan and Dolphin. It's relatively easy to get to, it can even be done as a couple of hour break (I'm including going to/from) from DHS or EPC. It's not too bad at all to either walk it or take the boat from the front of DHS to the Swan/Dolphin and then walk around the Swan hotel to the mini-golf (It takes a bit longer if starting from the back door of EPC - longer walk or more stops on the boat). Or if you are doing Blizzard Beach, the Winter/Summerland courses are right outside the gate there, in the same parking lot and bus stop. They are fun too, maybe not as nice as Fantasia Gardens, but if you are there anyway for the water park, it may be a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone if you are already there.
    That is too funny Dave! I checked out what I wrote 3 times before posting and yet there it is. Tycoon Lagoon. The home of Bob Iger and Micheal Eisner. It's good to be the Tycoon!!