Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Disneyland Genie and Genie+ experiences and tips

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp21 View Post
    Thanks. We are planning on getting there to line up at the gates before they open. Told my kids that we are going to take it back to when they were young and we would be there an hour before hand lined up at the gates to get in. I miss those days. LOL. They would go start getting fast passes and I would dash over to Blue Bayou for reservations. The good ol days when it was simpler to visit DL.
    Thats what I want to do on the 24th but all my adult kids said "ugh"
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

Can you stack Disneyland genie+? I was going to try and book a Kate afternoon ticket but it looked like I had to take the morning slot. I thought I could choose the time. No?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Can you stack Disneyland genie+? I was going to try and book a Kate afternoon ticket but it looked like I had to take the morning slot. I thought I could choose the time. No?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    You can stack. And nope you don't get to pick your time. Just like how FP/MP was, its whatever comes up and at times it can change on you once you have booked it. Yet if you want to cancel it you can do that. I want to say that you can cancel any LL as long as its before your LL time is over...unless something has changed here with that. So if you wanted to book for a certain time of day then all I can say is refresh and see if it changes or not. I noticed when we had used it that it is pretty much how FP/MP with times so most were not to far off unless they were the more desired ride of the moment...and that was the same with the old system as well though.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I want to say that you can cancel any LL as long as its before your LL time is over..
    I think that is correct. That is how the whole "fishing" for LLE passes works. I had no idea what that was until a couple of weeks ago. I read through a thread in what it takes to take advantage of the "fishing" process. Too much work in my opinion. Requires even more time with your nose in your phone.

I think that is correct. That is how the whole "fishing" for LLE passes works. I had no idea what that was until a couple of weeks ago. I read through a thread in what it takes to take advantage of the "fishing" process. Too much work in my opinion. Requires even more time with your nose in your phone.
    Agree, its a big waste of time and what you could be doing instead of that. How many rides do those guests end up missing out on during the day because they took the advice of someone on this? Or what did they miss out on enjoying and seeing that day because the face was buried in the phone trying to "game the system?" IMO Disney needs to change something in this area.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Agree, its a big waste of time and what you could be doing instead of that. How many rides do those guests end up missing out on during the day because they took the advice of someone on this? Or what did they miss out on enjoying and seeing that day because the face was buried in the phone trying to "game the system?" IMO Disney needs to change something in this area.
    They created a whole new problem when charging for what are essentially fast passes. Back in the day when FP was free, and the ride was down doing your return time, come back and redeem your FP whenever the ride was back up. Plain and simple. And if the ride never came back up, oh well. No money lost. Now they are making people pay for the privilege, they are forced to provide something when the ride goes down. If the ride never comes back up, it is expected that you still get something of value in return.

They created a whole new problem when charging for what are essentially fast passes. Back in the day when FP was free, and the ride was down doing your return time, come back and redeem your FP whenever the ride was back up. Plain and simple. And if the ride never came back up, oh well. No money lost. Now they are making people pay for the privilege, they are forced to provide something when the ride goes down. If the ride never comes back up, it is expected that you still get something of value in return.
    Yep and when you used the free version of FP you were able to go back to the ride when it came up with your FP to use. Then with Maxpass it would give you a choice of a handful of rides you could use it on instead. It wasn't the long list of rides and I don't remember it being now FP/MP rides either like they do now. It needs to go back to the limit of a handful of rides for one of those passes and maybe stick to the ones with Genie+. As well as limit how many of those one can hold at a time would be even better. Some have had 6 at a time. Which also Disney needs to not allow you to book the ride if its down. Stop that and it helps stop this as well to a point.

I am still not understanding why things are so far off with the lines as well. Its like everyone forgot how to run a theme park and make things just flow. There is no difference in the amount of guests in the park at this point compared to before COVID. I know they favor Genie+ guests over those not using it but even so there is just something still WAY off. Are they not running the rides at max capacity? I know rides going down a lot lately creates a nightmare as well. Which why is that happening so much? I know some thing it has to do with maintenance but is it more because of guests and not securing items well or whatever? I am sure that at times staffing is an issue because of covid taking over groups of them at times but this is where it comes in that it shows you shouldn't staff at minimum and should have the extra on hand just in case.

Blog Entries

Just a quick note. We did Genie+ and ILL for Rise this past Sunday. On the surface you could say we overspent because we only used it for 3 rides (HM, Buzz, and Indy) and of course Rise - but those times were key to help us with our day. It was very hot and we had a 5 month old with the group (along with my adult children and wife). We rope dropped Space and Matterhorn but both times we had to stop and wait for time adjustments with the baby. This was a pattern all day long - where we focused on ways to save a little time where we could. We were caught in the non-accurate Big Thunder wait time posting (said 30, it was 50) around 2pm which required us to go to Golden Horseshoe for AC and water (had to wait 25 min for ice water - their order completion process is very slow). and I could not get cooled off. It was not good. I would say some of us didn't ride all attractions because of several issues (motion sickness, back to hotel for break, etc.). And in Fantasyland we were only able to take advantage of 2 attractions before it was time to move on.

The day was fantastic (celebrating my 60th) and I would only change the temperature - but my experience with Genie+ is that its not as accurate with wait time posting AND the app tends to display the wrong return time if you keep the app open. Its already a battery hog but when you have to refresh each time - and discover a 130pm return time is actually 540pm, that's bad. As well - we had to keep checking back to make sure we could catch the return time we wanted. Example - we wanted to do Indy just before MSEP and Fireworks. So I had to constantly check my phone to make sure when the time came up I could get it. That's bad design - because now my face is stuck in my phone for dinner, etc. and not with the family.

All that talk about the parks really are not busy as they seem - is only true in the walkways. The attraction waits add up (there isn't a long one and a short one - they're all fairly busy), and the food and snack waits are a while. Meals will always take longer than you planned - Oga's took a while as our lunch visit (we brought extra stuff), and Cafe orleans was really pleasant yet took longer. Well worth it to relax.

One other totally unfounded observation - if you want to see a lot of the park (Disneyland), and you have a mixed group on busy days trying to use Genie+ you may need more than one day. We had to skip many attractions and many of the out of the way things I like (the performances, Lincoln), and didn't do one character greeting (except for Gaston as he walked by us in Fantasyland - he stopped for a pic). This is just my experience. If you have a group that can all do the same things, and you can eat really early and really late and not worry the rest of the day about food, etc. -then you can do a lot more. I just think for someone who has small children - $150 (which is what we paid for some tickets) to just do Fantasyland and maybe the train and walk around seems like a much bigger investment than people realize.

Just a quick note. We did Genie+ and ILL for Rise this past Sunday. On the surface you could say we overspent because we only used it for 3 rides (HM, Buzz, and Indy) and of course Rise - but those times were key to help us with our day. It was very hot and we had a 5 month old with the group (along with my adult children and wife). We rope dropped Space and Matterhorn but both times we had to stop and wait for time adjustments with the baby. This was a pattern all day long - where we focused on ways to save a little time where we could. We were caught in the non-accurate Big Thunder wait time posting (said 30, it was 50) around 2pm which required us to go to Golden Horseshoe for AC and water (had to wait 25 min for ice water - their order completion process is very slow). and I could not get cooled off. It was not good. I would say some of us didn't ride all attractions because of several issues (motion sickness, back to hotel for break, etc.). And in Fantasyland we were only able to take advantage of 2 attractions before it was time to move on.

All that talk about the parks really are not busy as they seem - is only true in the walkways. The attraction waits add up (there isn't a long one and a short one - they're all fairly busy), and the food and snack waits are a while. Meals will always take longer than you planned - Oga's took a while as our lunch visit (we brought extra stuff), and Cafe orleans was really pleasant yet took longer. Well worth it to relax.
    We noticed the last time in the Golden Horseshoe it took some time to start to cool off. I think the last time was just because we were so hot from the outside. Usually it isn't that way in there. We never have had issues with how long it took to get things in there though. I have been seeing though lately this month lots of the food places are slow though. I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with possible CMs out with covid.

That is why I keep saying the walkways seem as they are. Everyone is stuck in a ride line. I haven't really seen the comments on the parks not busy but the opposite because the ride wait times are what they see and how insane it is. Seriously though what is going on that this is happening? As I said its like they forgot how to run a theme park and make things flow. Remember how FP was done to try to push more guests to spend more by shopping or eating between rides? Well how would guests be able to any of that now being stuck in the lines like they are? When I have been in the shops it was an easy in and out...just walked up to a register with no wait. The stores have been really easy to walk around as well and that was rare before Genie+.

Please make sure to give Disney your feedback on all this olegc. That whole time change is the worse with Genie+. It used to be that with FP that it might change once at the machine but it was usually just the next hour slot not many hours in difference. There is no reason for that to happen IMO. No one wants to bury their face in the phone (well maybe a few don't mind) trying to refresh in hopes a different time comes up.

Hopefully aside from how Genie+ ended up and the heat that you were able to enjoy your birthday and the time with your family!

Blog Entries
    We noticed the last time in the Golden Horseshoe it took some time to start to cool off. I think the last time was just because we were so hot from the outside. Usually it isn't that way in there. We never have had issues with how long it took to get things in there though. I have been seeing though lately this month lots of the food places are slow though. I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with possible CMs out with covid.

That is why I keep saying the walkways seem as they are. Everyone is stuck in a ride line. I haven't really seen the comments on the parks not busy but the opposite because the ride wait times are what they see and how insane it is. Seriously though what is going on that this is happening? As I said its like they forgot how to run a theme park and make things flow.
    Well - the difference is that its revenue. yes, maxpass was money too BUT they still offered the free fastpass. Now with everyone paid they get priority - though I will say we noticed some cast members trying to balance and hold the LL line for a little. As far as reporting busy or not - its all from perspective. If one likes to stroll and take in the park as a park (as some of the more popular local vloggers do) they will see its not that busy and Disney really wants more people in the park. CAn you imagine, though, if the operations level are the same (staffing and procedures) and they brought more people in? yikes.

Hopefully aside from how Genie+ ended up and the heat that you were able to enjoy your birthday and the time with your family!
    Yes it was grand. Being able to sing "Live the Magic" during the acoustic tag to my 5 month old grandson - and he completely listening - was golden.

Well - the difference is that its revenue. yes, maxpass was money too BUT they still offered the free fastpass. Now with everyone paid they get priority - though I will say we noticed some cast members trying to balance and hold the LL line for a little. As far as reporting busy or not - its all from perspective. If one likes to stroll and take in the park as a park (as some of the more popular local vloggers do) they will see its not that busy and Disney really wants more people in the park. CAn you imagine, though, if the operations level are the same (staffing and procedures) and they brought more people in? yikes.

I think we are really at what the typical crowds would be before covid but its just the waits in all those ride lines is taking over now. LOL I will say that vloggers have a habit of trying to make it seem like the parks aren't as bad as they are either. How many at times would say things weren't crowded but the scene behind and around them was saying it was crowded. LOL I am hoping that Disney will lean back more towards how they handled the lines before COVID. It shouldn't matter if someone paid or not for Geneie+. Even things out to get the lines moving smoothly like they used to. Don't put over the ones paying over those in standby. Otherwise those in standby won't be happy and unhappy guests don't spend. LOL I think the CMs that end up doing a more balanced way of letting each guests in lines go may have worked the old system. It may not be the case with all but with some we have come across it seems like it with how they are doing it.

Yes it was grand. Being able to sing "Live the Magic" during the acoustic tag to my 5 month old grandson - and he completely listening - was golden.
    Awwww love it!

This! Happy Belated Birthday, Oleg! And that memory with your grandson, truly magical! May this be the beginning of many more magical moments together.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    this! Happy belated birthday, oleg! And that memory with your grandson, truly magical! May this be the beginning of many more magical moments together.
    :d