Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Keys sold out

Has ticket availability improved or stayed the same (couldn’t possibly have got worse) since Disney began getting the its pants sued off recently? I hear that coincidentally (eyeroll) a bunch more magic key reservations were suddenly available at right about the same time the lawsuit hit the newspapers.

Will it affect the way Disney does business? Or merely the way it words it’s contracts?
    Everything post Covid is a nickel and dime cash grab. My kids are dying to return but they don’t read everything I do and I don’t have the heart to tell them. It’s nothing like what we remember. Also, I tell them “let’s get you the 3 day $199 SoCal thing to get your fix” but they insist I be a part of it and my heart’s not remotely in it. It was such an incredible place March 2020 when we were last there together. To pay way more for a fraction of the experience and service and quality. I just can’t until it markedly improves. Thoughts are welcome.

Last edited by MidwayManiac; 01-04-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Has ticket availability improved or stayed the same (couldn’t possibly have got worse) since Disney began getting the its pants sued off recently? I hear that coincidentally (eyeroll) a bunch more magic key reservations were suddenly available at right about the same time the lawsuit hit the newspapers.

Will it affect the way Disney does business? Or merely the way it words it’s contracts?
    Everything post Covid is a nickel and dime cash grab. My kids are dying to return but they don’t read everything I do and I don’t have the heart to tell them. It’s nothing like what we remember. Also, I tell them “let’s get you the 3 day $199 SoCal thing to get your fix” but they insist I be a part of it and my heart’s not remotely in it. It was such an incredible place March 2020 when we were last there together. To pay way more for a fraction of the experience and service and quality. I just can’t until it markedly improves. Thoughts are welcome.
    Honestly, if you aren't feeling it I do think its best to just not go right now. After the last time we were there and seeing first hand how they want to treat standby guests over the Genie+ I'm a disgusted and don't get my husband started on it. I am not sure how old your kids are but if old enough maybe just tell them you want to wait a little longer with a simple explanation on why. Heck if you are all into WOC and Fantasmic that could be an excuse to hold off. For us its not our thing and I actually enjoy not having the mess of Fantasmic. You could also tell them you are waiting to see how Genie+ goes over the months. I am hoping that in the case of that with standby that people are giving the feedback in the same manner that they were when reservations weren't opened up enough.

BTW, yes I do think that because of that lawsuit filed that between when it was filed and then when it hit the media it had Disney open up more reservations. Weekends though will be hard no matter what I think at times because there are ones booked up right now still. Remember this is what happened as well in Oct when it hit the media that the month had been booked up and no one was able to get reservations.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I look at the calendar today WEd Jan 5th - regular ticket reservations are pretty much wide open right now across both parks. There are a couple of days where only one park is available (disneyland, go figure) but up to May 5th there is plenty of ressie capacity for day tickets. Now - I think the new public 3 day ticket will start to sell more in the coming weeks so we will see what happens there.

As far as Keys - Most weekdays are wide open for the next few months. There are a handful of weekend days where one park is available. Believe has a few more days gone than Dream keys.

I still think its way early to find a pattern. During the holidays the demand was obviously high. Will LUnar New Year and the Food and Wine bring people back? who knows. Maybe folks have figured out how to manage the system: if you can plan a far enough day, do it; if not, just watch the calendar. THats doesnt work for out of towners.

Like I said - the patterns are not there yet to be able to really know. (this is also an issue with Genie+ and standby) If you dont feel like going then yeah I wouldnt make the effort. Any action that gives a negative experience will just compound things. And with some of the bigger attractions on refurb maybe you dont want to waste the trip.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Another aspect of this that I'm not entirely comfortable with (especially during our current COVID surge) is the concept of capacity. Obviously, the ultimate arbitrator of capacity is California, both with the fire marshal capacity limits and with any emergency COVID restrictions that could be put back in place. Secondarily there is the staffing capacity, which is impacted by Disney's ability to hire, train, and retain employees. I think Disney now has contracts in place with most/all the unions, but if any of them had opted to strike, the services impacted by that group of employees would be dramatically reduced.

I feel like Disney has been increasing reservations by increasing capacity, which I'm fine with short and even mid-term if it can be done by simply adding employees to the schedule. But long-term, I feel like they've now released enough reservations that if new COVID restrictions are put in place, it could cause chaos. And while having the reservations open may make the vocal keyholders happy, I think there are going to be a lot more people screaming if the state shuts them down again or even just reduces the park to 50% capacity. Whereas if they only had 50% of reservations available a few months out, they could release more as it got closer and there weren't state mandated restrictions in place or honor all/most of the reservations if a reduced capacity was ordered because they weren't overbooked.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Another aspect of this that I'm not entirely comfortable with (especially during our current COVID surge) is the concept of capacity. Obviously, the ultimate arbitrator of capacity is California, both with the fire marshal capacity limits and with any emergency COVID restrictions that could be put back in place. Secondarily there is the staffing capacity, which is impacted by Disney's ability to hire, train, and retain employees. I think Disney now has contracts in place with most/all the unions, but if any of them had opted to strike, the services impacted by that group of employees would be dramatically reduced.

I feel like Disney has been increasing reservations by increasing capacity, which I'm fine with short and even mid-term if it can be done by simply adding employees to the schedule. But long-term, I feel like they've now released enough reservations that if new COVID restrictions are put in place, it could cause chaos. And while having the reservations open may make the vocal keyholders happy, I think there are going to be a lot more people screaming if the state shuts them down again or even just reduces the park to 50% capacity. Whereas if they only had 50% of reservations available a few months out, they could release more as it got closer and there weren't state mandated restrictions in place or honor all/most of the reservations if a reduced capacity was ordered because they weren't overbooked.
    While I agree with you on this, I do think that we won't see any roll backs on that stuff at this point. I also think Disney pushed up the capacity as fast as they could even if not staffed enough and no concern with COVID in mind. I will say that I am surprised they don't make their CMs wear masks outdoors. There are so many that seem to not and in close contact with guests and other CMs that I would think as a company that wants to keep things running they would want to have less risk of CMs out with COVID or giving it to fellow CMS and guests. At this point I'd like to know what they are doing/going to if to many of their CMs have tested positive at once or have ones that have to be out from close contact to make sure they aren't as well. Of course I have doubts Disney really cares in this area at this point either. Yet I think if to many CMs end up out this is what will cause things to drop in capacity (maybe?) or shut down in areas (probably not the whole park). Which with Disney pushing guests to mobile order and shop, it was already showing they wanted to do without as many CMs as they had before COVID.

With reservations, I don't know if that would work to do half a few months out and release more over time as it got closer. It could wind up with to many issues like we saw in Oct to Dec before they opened more. To many would be left to wonder if they will open or not as dates get closer or they are left out of a chance of getting anything. I think that no matter what Disney put this set up in place with no real plan on how to deal with it and what to do in some cases. Its all just on a whim everything they are doing at this time. Which is terrible.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I have never had this before but got an email today with the subject "Important Reminder: Please Review Your Disneyland Resort Reservations Now." In the email reminding me of our planned up coming reservations and if we need to change it had a box to click to change plans. Anyone else get this recently or before? It just seemed odd and so random. More so since I NEVER seem to get their emails for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I have never had this before but got an email today with the subject "Important Reminder: Please Review Your Disneyland Resort Reservations Now." In the email reminding me of our planned up coming reservations and if we need to change it had a box to click to change plans. Anyone else get this recently or before? It just seemed odd and so random. More so since I NEVER seem to get their emails for anything.
    We've been receiving those for a while now. It's more unusual for us not to receive an email reminder. We also get the reminders for dining reservations.

We got them last month and in December.

Thanks both of you. This is the first one I have ever seen show up and wouldn't be surprised if I don't see another one for months or ever again even since I never seem to get their emails.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

I got them last month for both theme park reservations and dining reservations...guess it's a new thing with them! I'm just glad I'm receiving emails from them now, because I, like Berry Princess, never got them in the past either!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Blog Entries
    Yeah - I get these for each reservation - though Berry have you not said in the past that disney email to you is very spotty if at all delivered - or was it someone else?
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Yeah - I get these for each reservation - though Berry have you not said in the past that disney email to you is very spotty if at all delivered - or was it someone else?
    I rarely ever get a thing from them. I know it wasn't just me. That was the first of those I ever got so I had no clue they were sending them since I never saw a person mention that before.

Blog Entries

I didnt want to start a whole new thread - but for those that want to know such things the second free print for Magic Key Holders was already started to be given out at DCA. Called "Transportation". It was not supposed to start until tomorrow but on Saturday someone posted from the park that they already had one.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on the 3 day So-cal passes for my kids. We’re a basketball family and since the high school season just ended we have a ton of discretionary time on our hands. To be honest I’ll hold out another month to see if the 2nd highest magic key goes on sale instead. Not holding my breath but there’s a chance right? I’ll get the kids the 3 day passes for spring break if the key doesn’t go back on sale by then. Wild times, Disney foregoing that guaranteed revenue stream that is the monthly payments. Never thought I’d see the day.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Not only are the two top tier passes sold out, current passholders won’t have the option to renew.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/04/breaking-d...ic-key-passes/

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Not only are the two top tier passes sold out, current passholders won’t have the option to renew.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/04/breaking-d...ic-key-passes/
    I saw this but I am not sure on the truth to it. This is coming from someone claiming they were told this in an email and their keys expire in May of this year. They claim it was dated in May because of military tickets used and upgraded. Another site is trying to run with this now as well but I won't name that horrid site ever in anything. Until Disney makes some statement on this I find it questionable.

At this point the Disneyland website states:

RENEWALS: The value of any separate ticket media may not be used toward the renewal of an existing Pass. A “renewal” is the purchase of another year (or specified period of the Pass if different than a year) of Pass benefits before the expiration date of a currently existing and valid Pass. All Pass types are available for renewal unless explicitly stated otherwise. Any renewal discounts are valid during the dates specified for such discounts, but in no event shall such discounts apply after the applicable current Pass’s expiration date.

After I was reading some comments some place else, IF this is the case with this person, it could just be that it will effect those that upgraded military tickets they used part of before the upgrade to keys. Maybe the system set up for all this is just not picking up anything that was before the official on sale date of the keys. I think that some are jumping the gun though on reporting that its all Dream and Believe keys when most won't see renewal dates until August to October. Without a confirmation from Disney on this its one of those wait and see situations.

Blog Entries
    I saw this but I am not sure on the truth to it. This is coming from someone claiming they were told this in an email and their keys expire in May of this year. They claim it was dated in May because of military tickets used and upgraded. Another site is trying to run with this now as well but I won't name that horrid site ever in anything. Until Disney makes some statement on this I find it questionable.

At this point the Disneyland website states:

RENEWALS: The value of any separate ticket media may not be used toward the renewal of an existing Pass. A “renewal” is the purchase of another year (or specified period of the Pass if different than a year) of Pass benefits before the expiration date of a currently existing and valid Pass. All Pass types are available for renewal unless explicitly stated otherwise. Any renewal discounts are valid during the dates specified for such discounts, but in no event shall such discounts apply after the applicable current Pass’s expiration date.
    After I was reading some comments some place else, IF this is the case with this person, it could just be that it will effect those that upgraded military tickets they used part of before the upgrade to keys. Maybe the system set up for all this is just not picking up anything that was before the official on sale date of the keys. I think that some are jumping the gun though on reporting that its all Dream and Believe keys when most won't see renewal dates until August to October. Without a confirmation from Disney on this its one of those wait and see situations.
    this is what I think too. @midwaymaniac I dont want to say you are wrong but none of the sites online have tried to confirm the information - they just run with the notion that Disney wont renew. Thats falling in to the click-bait world ( I said as much to DLNT - dont become Inside the Magic). Its easy to bash Disney right now and I guess folks like piling on. However, there is a chance they make some sort of silly decision that affects a lot of people. They've been doing that for the last 2 years.

this is what I think too. @midwaymaniac I dont want to say you are wrong but none of the sites online have tried to confirm the information - they just run with the notion that Disney wont renew. Thats falling in to the click-bait world ( I said as much to DLNT - dont become Inside the Magic). Its easy to bash Disney right now and I guess folks like piling on. However, there is a chance they make some sort of silly decision that affects a lot of people. They've been doing that for the last 2 years.
    You are correct to point out the original site which ran this story is well known for being unreliable and click-bait happy. Until Disney make an official announcement about any changes to the MK program, the current fine print says that MK renewals will be allowed unless otherwise stated.

The specific situation responsible for starting all the rumors is odd, but not all that unusual. Someone upgraded a multi-day military discount ticket to a Dream Key. The Key was backdated to the first date of use on the ticket. (This isn't new -- it happened before with APs. For example, if you upgraded a multi-day ticket on the last day of use, which could have been 13 days after the first day of use, your AP would be backdated -- so your expiration date would be the first date of use, not the date you upgraded.) The person who upgraded the military ticket first used that ticket on 5/01/21, then upgraded to a Dream Key in August. The expiration date was backdated to 5/01. Now they are being told that they will not be allowed to renew on 5/01/22. Maybe because "official" renewals won't start until July for those who bought Keys on 8/25/21? And because Dream Keys aren't currently being sold? Who knows...

Figured I'd just post it here but United States District Court Judge David Carter has denied Disney's motion to dismiss the lawsuit on the Magic Keys/reservations.

So it sounds like 4 of 6 allegations in the suit were dismissed in early April. So it sounds like the judge is allowing the case as it relates to breach of contract and California consumer protection act. He granted Disney's dismissal motions relating to the claims of false advertising, negligent misrepresentation, legal disclosure and unfair competition.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out considering how its been since this was filed and how the reservations have looked many times with them being booked or not. I don't know if this will get any place in the end once all is said and done though.

Blog Entries
    Figured I'd just post it here but United States District Court Judge David Carter has denied Disney's motion to dismiss the lawsuit on the Magic Keys/reservations.

So it sounds like 4 of 6 allegations in the suit were dismissed in early April. So it sounds like the judge is allowing the case as it relates to breach of contract and California consumer protection act. He granted Disney's dismissal motions relating to the claims of false advertising, negligent misrepresentation, legal disclosure and unfair competition.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out considering how its been since this was filed and how the reservations have looked many times with them being booked or not. I don't know if this will get any place in the end once all is said and done though.
    i know they've released reservations off and on for MK holders - but it seems like in the last 2 weeks the calendar has been VERY full. I always wondered what would happen in Summer. We shall soon see.

i know they've released reservations off and on for MK holders - but it seems like in the last 2 weeks the calendar has been VERY full. I always wondered what would happen in Summer. We shall soon see.
    As soon as the night shows were announced the calendar filled up quickly it seemed like. With certain blocked days for MKs in the summer, will they have more open for the 1 park and hopper tickets open or will they open up more as they decide to for MKs that aren't blocked out? I wonder how many out of state folks have MKs and if its part of the calendar getting full like that. There are some schools in other states getting out soon for summer. The ones in OC seem to range from the beginning of Jun towards end of June.

As soon as the night shows were announced the calendar filled up quickly it seemed like. With certain blocked days for MKs in the summer, will they have more open for the 1 park and hopper tickets open or will they open up more as they decide to for MKs that aren't blocked out? I wonder how many out of state folks have MKs and if its part of the calendar getting full like that. There are some schools in other states getting out soon for summer. The ones in OC seem to range from the beginning of Jun towards end of June.
    I was there Saturday with a school group and while I didn't go on any rides to see how close the estimated wait times were to the actual wait times, I was following along on my app and the estimated wait times were horrible. Both Matterhorn and Space Mountain got up to 120 minutes. I'm assuming that those got so bad because of all the lightning lane usage. Rise of the Resistance was only 85 minutes most of the day, but isn't included in regular lightning lane so wouldn't have the same standby problems that the other rides have. I wouldn't have minded if they had reduced capacity with Pirates down (and who knows, maybe they did)? I'm hoping summer will be better with more keys blocked out and fewer weekend field trips (Plus Disney is a really expensive field trip compared to Knotts and other summer camp locations).

I had a discussion about the keys lawsuit the other day. As a former Flex family, I understood that those passes were basically being allowed park access on a space-available basis with Disney prioritizing ticket sales and annual passholder access. The "good to go" days were about the same as the So Cal Select passes; the "reservation required" days brought it closer to the Signature but at 1/2 the price. But because there were other pass options, I think people understood that reservations were not always going to be available, even if other types of admission media could still go. When the Flex passes were blocked out intermittently during Halloween, day guests could still walk up to the ticket booth and buy a ticket for same day use. And since the passes weren't released until May 21, 2019, they hadn't yet had time to explode in popularity/cause even more problems in getting reservations. Following our October experiences, I was already dreading summertime availability and had decided that if it got too bad, we would upgrade to Deluxe tickets. And then the world shut down and it didn't matter.

Based on our experience with the Flex program, this reservation system is working more or less exactly like I thought it would. But if my only experience had been with a Signature Plus, I could see being upset/suing when day tickets were given a higher priority for admission. And Disney does have a marketing issue for these "Keys" because as much as they want to pretend that they aren't annual passes, they aren't exactly going out of their way to advertise that they are designed to allow Disney to maximize profits and the pool of available reservations will vary at Disney's sole discretion.

currence, I had actually looked at the app on Sat to see how waits were because I noticed that the Dream Keys still had reservations open. It looked like at the time I saw about 3-4 good rides down at the same time in DL. It saw that Matterhorn was about 80 at that time but Space was what you saw. Rise was about what you saw. I just know that as someone that doesn't do well in warm/hot temps, I wouldn't be able to do those kind of lines at all. We went for a little bit this morning (just husband and I). We ended up walking the shops in DL and walked into the Tiki Room since as we walked by I saw the doors were open. All the rides we walked by though the lines were so long and the wait times were up there. This was between 10am-12. I am honestly surprised we haven't seen someone try to sue about Genie+ and its effects on things (on either coast). I have no clue what will happen summer wise but I already planned for us to do Saturdays that we can so we can go later in the day and stay as late as we want without worry on husband having work the next day.

We had Sig Plus passes. We didn't use our first day on the Dream Key until towards the end of Oct. When I had booked dates I did 2 in Nov and 2 in Dec. I always leave our 6th open for anything last minute that is open and we can go. The way Oct was seemed like any other Oct in the past had been crowded wise. Which seriously was showing how the reservation system was not going to work well with pre-COVID ways. We saw Nov and Dec look like it was going to head that way as well. Yet between the news of keyholders complaining about no open dates in Oct and the lawsuit hitting in Nov, I think it had effects on reservations to a point. Yet we have been able to many times get a last minute day without a problem. More so I was able to do it back in Nov during Thanksgiving weekend and a couple days before Christmas. I have picked up a few last minute weekdays to go hunt down merch I knew was released as well. This month though, is looking a bit harder to where it would be work to find a last minute reservation. I do wonder if this is what summer will end up like as people use their days up this month. Yet when it came to the rules of how this was going to be with MKs I was able to understand it just fine. I do wish Disney would have followed through on their own rules when it came to those that were no-showing from the get go. I wonder if that will play any role in the lawsuit since they basically admitted not to long ago how they were not enforcing their own rules up until recently. Which I will never get why so many couldn't just cancel the night before to open that slot up for someone else. SMH

Blog Entries

Currence - I agree that most likely reservations are working as intended - now. However, in the fall when the program was in its first quarter, I believe the parks held back a lot of capacity for MKs because they thought the day tickets would still carry them. It didnt happen - and then the lawsuit hit - so all of a sudden there were more MK dates available (not in one day - but over the period of a week). Whether it was a response to the lawsuit or not - it was evident they changed the mix and how they added more capacity for MKs.

As far as posted wait times in the app vs in reality I'm going to go with the idea that the app has terrible rea-time information. If the app says low wait I can almost always see that the attraction has a huge wait, and vice versa. I think most days though from now on we will see it be very busy.

I also wonder about ride (and restaurant) throughput. It seems those have not updated either. Loading takes longer, your food prep takes longer (don't get me started on the menus still being minimized). Just seems like the parks have not improved their throughput as much. They have added more things to do and that spreads people out - but for each thing it takes longer than I remember.