Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Big Thunder Mountain Disneyland - Could it use an upgrade?

Big Thunder Mountain Disneyland - Could it use an upgrade?

Just musing out loud:

Have been on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland, WDW and Paris (haven't made it to Tokyo yet!) and of the three mentioned the one at Disneyland seems the most basic. WDW has an extra spiral in the middle of the first run and of course Paris has the fantastic tunnels both before and after the standard mountain track (and by the looks of it Tokyo after the third lift has another high speed turn through a batcave/geyser field section) - all of this to say that the Disneyland one has the most basic features and not much more of the various BTMR versions.

So here would be a possible upgrade for the attraction at Disneyland: Presently, after the third lift, the train makes a right turn, goes through a fairly innocuous and slow loop and then makes a small dip through the dinosaur bones to the end of the ride through the fairly uninteresting mining town; what if after the right turn the ride tracks continued over the Big Thunder Trail and followed a track path that did a loop along the edge of the Rivers of America path the old Mine Train attraction used to take and then swing back over the BTT to the Dinosaur Bones? Such a path/extension would most likely create a more exciting experience never mind the fact that more trains might be able to run at the same time and increase ride capacity?

Just thinking in terms of what could be done to give the BTMR attraction a bit more glitter in the next few years .........

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

neat idea - but the amount of support structure may already dig into the short bank on the east side of the ROA right there - and there's only so much room left there for the ships to begin with. Also - you have to double that since you have a train coming in and one coming back. When MTTNW was around they didnt really have Big Thunder Trail - it was all of the attraction (you had to double back through the Hub to get to Fantasyland). so there were no bridges needed. Now with all that weight and those forces its most likely too much of an impact to guest experience to do that with the space they have. It is an interesting idea though.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

When did DL do the update with the dynamite effects and the rocking back and forth as the train climbs the last lift hill inside? I know I've seen it at least once (maybe twice), but I haven't been since early 2018, so almost 4 years. So I guess maybe it's not considered "new" anymore...

That to me was a very cool upgrade that is not something they have at WDW.

-Dave

I don't see them spending a lot of money on infrastructure for an older ride, and I would prefer that they didn't demolish the ride and build something completely new (although I'm not against figuring out a place to add Tron to Disneyland).

It's times like these that I'm grateful that Home on the Range did not do particularly well in theaters. Otherwise I'm pretty sure they would have figured out how to overlay that ride onto the existing tracks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    When did DL do the update with the dynamite effects and the rocking back and forth as the train climbs the last lift hill inside? I know I've seen it at least once (maybe twice), but I haven't been since early 2018, so almost 4 years. So I guess maybe it's not considered "new" anymore...

That to me was a very cool upgrade that is not something they have at WDW.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I don't see them spending a lot of money on infrastructure for an older ride, and I would prefer that they didn't demolish the ride and build something completely new (although I'm not against figuring out a place to add Tron to Disneyland).

It's times like these that I'm grateful that Home on the Range did not do particularly well in theaters. Otherwise I'm pretty sure they would have figured out how to overlay that ride onto the existing tracks.
    Good call on the Home on the Range bit. Blech...

This ride, despite the fact that it has "less" than other versions, still packs them in and has always had consistent popularity. And since the additional effects of 2014 it probably wont be until 2030 when they may do something else. Disneyland will always have problems with space for new builds. How long have the conversations about the Sub lagoon and Innoventions building been going on? decades? and nothing has changed... (that of course is a slightly different topic around bang for your buck and what can be popular in Tomorrowland vs say NOS or Fantasyland).

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Good call on the Home on the Range bit. Blech...

This ride, despite the fact that it has "less" than other versions, still packs them in and has always had consistent popularity. And since the additional effects of 2014 it probably wont be until 2030 when they may do something else. Disneyland will always have problems with space for new builds. How long have the conversations about the Sub lagoon and Innoventions building been going on? decades? and nothing has changed... (that of course is a slightly different topic around bang for your buck and what can be popular in Tomorrowland vs say NOS or Fantasyland).
    I certainly consider BTM at DL a must do the next time I make my way out there. It's different enough from WDW to be pretty darn cool in my book, even if that last update was in 2014! (I guess I'm getting old!)

Still a fan of the subs here! (Even if they are Nemo-ized, I'll take it over removal of the attraction entirely. I'm sorry I never got to see the 20,000 Leagues version at WDW.)
    -Dave