Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Genie, Genie+, and ILL at Disneyland

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Genie, Genie+, and ILL at Disneyland

I know this has not arrived yet but I wanted to start a thread based on reports coming from WDW. Its still very fresh so we may need more days for better data to show up - but the interesting things to note are
    1) ILL (individual lightning lane) attractions sold out within an hour of park opening - for almost all parks
    2) Genie+ seemed very popular
    3) posted wait times for Standby were way off for some attractions (40 when it should have been 80 as an example).
    4) standbys got better later in the evening

There could be more - but these were the big ones. Ive read some reports as well as watched a couple of live streams with usage of the app. Most of the live streamers said they wouldnt buy it every visit but wanted to try it out. Fair enough - but I think this provides some hint at what we will face at Dland. I wonder if Disneyland will have all of the same controls as WDW - such as only one use of Lightning Lane through Genie+ for each attraction. Thats probably why standby waits were lower later in the day.

The telling thing is before the debut folks thought that the price point may make Genie+ and ILL not be as popular so it would not effect standby so much. Well throw that idea out the window. And they way Disney has withheld some info with their current ops (like Reservation Capacity never being discussed as a separate number for Keys) you have to wonder how much in the app for wait times - or even posted wait times on the attractions - is accurate. You'd think they would make waits really long in order to convince more people to buy but it seemed this was the reverse at WDW. And I have witnessed a few attractions at Disneyland have longer wait times than posted (jungle cruise is the biggest culprit here). Many still have shorter waits than posted - but the mistrust I have of managements "plan" for all this makes me wonder.

And, since we know that folks at Disneyland are usually willing to spend more for services and things than WDW (thats a speculation that has been written about) I can just see Genie+ being so popular that more than half the guests have it. You'd better brush up on your timing strategy to ensure that you are mixing and matching wait times with LL access and once you scan, while in the ride, get your next one. Maxpass tactics on steroids.

Lets also hope that once ILL is implemented they do at least offer standby for those rides - though I wonder if folks would be willing to wait in line 180 minutes for ROTR.

Expect more speculation until it debuts I guess. I think maybe it will come just before Nov 12th. If they did it in the middle of the Holidays that would just be odd IMHO.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Expect more speculation until it debuts I guess. I think maybe it will come just before Nov 12th. If they did it in the middle of the Holidays that would just be odd IMHO.
    How far in advance did WDW announce all of this before implementation? Since we got our list of affected attractions, can we use that calculation to guesstimate when DLR will implement it all here (or is that what your Nov. 12 date is based on?)

The other thing to note is sales tax is being charged at WDW on top of the Genie+ and ILL fees. The $15 Genie+ actually costs $15.98 out the door.
    Karin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    How far in advance did WDW announce all of this before implementation? Since we got our list of affected attractions, can we use that calculation to guesstimate when DLR will implement it all here (or is that what your Nov. 12 date is based on?)

The other thing to note is sales tax is being charged at WDW on top of the Genie+ and ILL fees. The $15 Genie+ actually costs $15.98 out the door.
    yeah the sales tax was a surprise to a lot of folks.

Disney Genie was announced on Aug 18th of this year, then major details on Aug 25th. On October 8th Disney announced that it would launch Genie and Genie+ on October 19th at WDW and at a future date in Disneyland. so it was only 2 weeks (10 days) from announcing the launch date to actually launching. Since it has had such a head start this made me wonder if Nov 12th would be our date. The speculation was they would use this initial time to work kinks out before releasing to Disneyland. However, given the desire for strong revenue in Q1 for disney (they started Q1 on Oct 1st) they may go ahead and launch without all the data analysis they could use. If they do go on Nov 12th you may see something announced on Oct31st or Nov 1st. Then again, as I said, they may decide to just do it in the middle of the Holiday period (maybe 12/1? ) . Some have guessed it wouldnt be here until the new year - but thats what was said about Disneyland's annual pass Key program (and the wonderful comments from disney that Key holders have more opportunities to visit than before. yeah, right).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Remember that WDW always has tax on to tickets there as well. We do not here. Which it didn't surprise me that tax was adding to Genie+ there. Disney though should have made it known instead of here is your surprise tax on it. I don't think we will see a tax on it here though. We didn't have it with MaxPass.

With when they will roll it out here, we do know its sometime in the Fall. I wouldn't be surprised if its sometime next month so it will be in time for the holidays.

I've read what others had discussed vloggers saying and such, which considering they are passholders it makes sense they wouldn't buy it all the time and find the use in it that say someone on a yearly trip might find use. From how it sounded, many weren't using it for anything other than E ticket rides instead of really showing how much one might get out of it in a full day...at least that was the ones some watched. As for how it will be here though, I don't think its something that passholders would go in for all the time. I'm sure that first day will be similar to how it was in WDW. Lots of vloggers and others that just want to see what its about. It seems to be similar in many ways to what we have already been done with MaxPass though. With just the ILL$ added in the mix now. I know for us that its kind of a pointless thing. If we aren't there all day it seems it would be a big waste of money to do. I think if we were with those that didn't have passes and were there all day it would be different. BTW, from how it sounded in WDW this week with the standby waits, it seemed like Genie+ was a waste of money. There was LOTS of issues with ROTR that first day because of it going down a few times. I told my husband that how the line for ILL got when it went back up was reminding me of those times that Star Tours here would go down and you would walk by it later to see a really long line for FP because everyone at once goes over that a time when the ride was down. LOL I saw they gave some gift cards that couldn't or didn't want to bother at that point though for ROTR. I did see one person say they were given a refund back to how they paid but it would take a few days to get it. Hopefully they did.

And another thing for Disneyland that is different from WDW is that we are sticking to the needing to be scanned into the park before using it. Which has always made the most sense for here. While WDW is trying to do it as a "perk" for staying on site. The one thing I saw when checking out how Genie looked on the WDW app was the dining tab and how that could be helpful seeing the next available or if a place has reservations/walk up at all.

BTW, it was said on one site that WDW added a bunch more fuelrod stations (no surprise). As well as some that have tried it out felt like they spent more time on their phones than they had in the past. I've noticed that many of those that saying they are "spreadsheet planners" or love the planning many months ahead of time are having a little harder time adjusting to this change. Things that are just how its been for us here on this coast since we never had FP+.

Now the question I have is how long it will be before Disney decides to add it in to the keys/passes? I will guess that no matter what level pass that its an extra charge to add on.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

I only purchased maxpass if I was visiting all day long with friends who did not have passes. Otherwise I never bought it.

I remember seeing one shot of Peter Pan at WDW in the early afternoon. One side was line out the door not moving so much; other side (a wall separated the queues) that allowed the Genie+ folks to waltz right in no wait. It was interesting - but only 1 ride.

According to the WDW genie site - anyone buying Genie+ can book their first attraction starting at 7am. Only the ILL for purchase is a perk for on-property hotel guests at 7am (remaining guests can purchase after the parks open). I suspect something similar here - since the experience with virtual queues is almost the same. Was something specifically posted about Genie terms for Disneyland already?

I only purchased maxpass if I was visiting all day long with friends who did not have passes. Otherwise I never bought it.

I remember seeing one shot of Peter Pan at WDW in the early afternoon. One side was line out the door not moving so much; other side (a wall separated the queues) that allowed the Genie+ folks to waltz right in no wait. It was interesting - but only 1 ride.

According to the WDW genie site - anyone buying Genie+ can book their first attraction starting at 7am. Only the ILL for purchase is a perk for on-property hotel guests at 7am (remaining guests can purchase after the parks open). I suspect something similar here - since the experience with virtual queues is almost the same. Was something specifically posted about Genie terms for Disneyland already?

And it was reported in the article here on Mouseplanet about Genie and other places that for Disneyland it would be where you had to scan into the parks first. Which like I said for here its best to keep it that way. I get why WDW is the way it is. I thought I had read it was 7am for Genie+ with on site guests in WDW but my mistake and I probably misread something on another board. I do know the ILL part had changed today though as it was being reported all over how that has gone.

We had MaxPass on our APs since it was part of Sig Plus. We did use it all the time. As was mentioned as well was that another thing with Genie+ was that you get one ride for each ride and no more unless you do standby which is another thing as well that many aren't happy about. Which I get. Some rides on those are not for everyone and they rather redo some rides because its a favorite. I am not sure though if the ILL part will be similar to WDW though or if it will stick to the way of Genie+ for here and needing to be scanned in the parks first. Yet there will always be some differences in this area between WDW and DL. We still have Photopass included with Genie+ while WDW doesn't get that.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    And it was reported in the article here on Mouseplanet about Genie and other places that for Disneyland it would be where you had to scan into the parks first. Which like I said for here its best to keep it that way. I get why WDW is the way it is. I thought I had read it was 7am for Genie+ with on site guests in WDW but my mistake and I probably misread something on another board. I do know the ILL part had changed today though as it was being reported all over how that has gone.
    My 2 cents, this is gonna bite rubber donkey balls if *everyone* has to show up to the parks at 7 am (like they did at 8 am for a Rise BG in pre-March 2020) in order to get an ILL. If you aren't scanned in early you risk the ILLs selling out, like they've been doing at WDW.
    Karin

Funny thing-An add showed up in the middle of this thread page for Lilicloth showing the main model with a shirt that said "S#1t Show Supervisor". I just about spit my ice tea out! New shirt for Chapek?

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

My 2 cents, this is gonna bite rubber donkey balls if *everyone* has to show up to the parks at 7 am (like they did at 8 am for a Rise BG in pre-March 2020) in order to get an ILL. If you aren't scanned in early you risk the ILLs selling out, like they've been doing at WDW.
    Maybe but as was the way of FP/MP before with some rides, if you weren't there by a certain time of day you risked not getting one. Now it comes down to how many are going to be willing to pay for an ILL ride? How many that are keyholders going every weekend or more will be willing to fork over the money each time they go is the question. It could also be where they just don't release it all at once to be bought for the day. Or who knows. We really only have 3 ILL rides and you can only buy 2 per day. I can't imagine Webslingers being that popular in this area but hey maybe I'm wrong. I can see issues with it here the first day or so like WDW has had and tweaks made because of it. Really the best option would be to just release it in batches at random if the system will allow. Or doing it at the 7am and noon VQ time. Or half hour after? With the rules in place like VQ is now, with your first half being that you are starting in that park and the noon drop is free for all, you know? Its just another to the list of let's see how this ends up compared to WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    Funny thing-An add showed up in the middle of this thread page for Lilicloth showing the main model with a shirt that said "S#1t Show Supervisor". I just about spit my ice tea out! New shirt for Chapek?
    OMG That is funny. Might be fighting as well for D'Amaro as well since he is the one in charge of theme parks.

Blog Entries
    I guess one good thing is you can only buy one - but you can only get one VQ so maybe its not so good. The whole capacity argument is out the window since it seems they are playing with the numbers. Of course once ILL debuts then the standby lines are supposed to be in place as well. Maybe that be in the park thing is more plausible for WDW than here with locals - but again we've seen how much Disney likes to cater to locals (Ok, those with MK passes).

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    That was really funny.

Really the best option would be to just release it in batches at random if the system will allow. Or doing it at the 7am and noon VQ time. Or half hour after? With the rules in place like VQ is now, with your first half being that you are starting in that park and the noon drop is free for all, you know? Its just another to the list of let's see how this ends up compared to WDW.

edit.....

OMG That is funny. Might be fighting as well for D'Amaro as well since he is the one in charge of theme parks.
    i cant see them holding some for the day if its for a fee. When it was VQ for free then yes make sure folks get what they need. However, with the ILL you can actually set a return time (I believe) so if you are park hopping and cant make it until later you have that option. sort of like a dining reservation. If this is the case I dont see the idea of holding some ILL spots back happening.

On D'Amaro - I keep wondering if he's just following order like a good soldier - choosing carefully what he wants to happen. When he ran Disneyland, then WDW, he was a a lot more focused on guest satisfaction and operation excellence - and not so much on cost control. Now that he reports to Chapek directly I would think there is a lot of pressure to bend at every command he gets,

i cant see them holding some for the day if its for a fee. When it was VQ for free then yes make sure folks get what they need. However, with the ILL you can actually set a return time (I believe) so if you are park hopping and cant make it until later you have that option. sort of like a dining reservation. If this is the case I dont see the idea of holding some ILL spots back happening.

On D'Amaro - I keep wondering if he's just following order like a good soldier - choosing carefully what he wants to happen. When he ran Disneyland, then WDW, he was a a lot more focused on guest satisfaction and operation excellence - and not so much on cost control. Now that he reports to Chapek directly I would think there is a lot of pressure to bend at every command he gets,
    True on the ILL but who knows. We are left to see what will happen in this area compared to WDW's version.

D'Amaro was only here a year and a half and is an all around Florida guy. I don't think he is as focused in those areas as thought. He is the one that is pushing that tech big time and giving us some of that Disney double speak just as much. BTW, remember Genie was also started under Iger's time in charge of Disney. While I don't like Chapek, he also isn't the one that put some of this into play. I don't think D'Amaro bends to much but I think he is a slick talker that is looking at being the next one in charge of the company. BTW, D'Amaro is a finance guy. So it would be no surprise for him to be about that and flip over to be more about cost control over guest satisfaction and such. Especially if his goal is to one day be in charge. He will want to look good for the board.

Blog Entries
    True on the ILL but who knows. We are left to see what will happen in this area compared to WDW's version.

D'Amaro was only here a year and a half and is an all around Florida guy. I don't think he is as focused in those areas as thought. He is the one that is pushing that tech big time and giving us some of that Disney double speak just as much. BTW, remember Genie was also started under Iger's time in charge of Disney. While I don't like Chapek, he also isn't the one that put some of this into play. I don't think D'Amaro bends to much but I think he is a slick talker that is looking at being the next one in charge of the company. BTW, D'Amaro is a finance guy. So it would be no surprise for him to be about that and flip over to be more about cost control over guest satisfaction and such. Especially if his goal is to one day be in charge. He will want to look good for the board.
    well the last guy responsible for Parks alone, that was supposed to be the heir to Iger, was dropped by the board. So Tom Staggs was out and Chapek was in a while later (he came from consumer Products) when they reorged the whole company. Yeah D'Amaro was a finance guy to start with Gillette - but most of his roles have been involves with growth and change at Disney - strategy and expansion. Every executives has an mba so not that different. I think he's definitely has finance as a huge part of his knowledge but its more about strategy and market expansion. They truly think that what they are doing will grow the business. And remember - it was Chapek on the hot seat saying that shareholder value will grow with the new things they are planning in the parks. Josh may have the ideas - but he's taking goal-orders from Chapek. I guess without really knowing the dirt behind the scenes its difficult to assess the true nature.

I don't think that they will hold back ILL spots for later in the day, especially since they just undid that at WDW where they had two pools of tickets (one for hotel guests and one for everyone) and now it seems to just be one pool so hotel guests have a huge advantage. It will be interesting to see if they bring that here, since DL hotel guests usually have far fewer perques than WDW hotel guests. BUT, I do think that they will hold back some of the space for a standby line. (1) for the optics of being able to claim that people have a choice and (2) so if/when the ride breaks down they have capacity to still accommodate everyone who bought a reservation.

We have a trip coming up soon with some out-of-state guests. Park of me hopes that this is here by then. Both because I know that they would pay extra to ride the rides that are important to them, and because otherwise if they miss out on the blink and you miss it virtual queues then they don't have any ability to go on the new rides.

Something to mention, so far in WDW if you don't ride your Genie+ pick during that hour you are out of luck on being able to pick it later. The system will show you took your turn even if you didn't. I've seen it mentioned that by some that they could get in the LL line 5 minutes early and it seems they are giving a 15 minute leeway for being late. Yet if you decide you won't be in the area for your ride time or get to it in time you will need to cancel that time slot if you do want to ride it this way later on before your time is called.

Has anyone seen anything on them stopping VQs here for Webslingers or ROTR? I know they had just started it with the Ratatouille before Genie kicked in and no sign of dropping those at this time of course. So I can see them keeping the VQs still in place here for the time being.

Something to mention, so far in WDW if you don't ride your Genie+ pick during that hour you are out of luck on being able to pick it later. The system will show you took your turn even if you didn't. I've seen it mentioned that by some that they could get in the LL line 5 minutes early and it seems they are giving a 15 minute leeway for being late. Yet if you decide you won't be in the area for your ride time or get to it in time you will need to cancel that time slot if you do want to ride it this way later on before your time is called.

Has anyone seen anything on them stopping VQs here for Webslingers or ROTR? I know they had just started it with the Ratatouille before Genie kicked in and no sign of dropping those at this time of course. So I can see them keeping the VQs still in place here for the time being.
    I believe theyve been pausing boarding passes for Webslingers already at times so I foresee them discontinuing boarding passes sometime in the future.

As far as Rise, I doubt it. Unlike WDW, we have ZERO room for a 2-3 hour Rise standby line. They use backstage space that we just dont have for their queue. Itll definitely come eventually, but we may have to wait ours out a little bit longer.

All of the queue that exists in the cave and all of the extend ropes outside make up about an hour and a half of line for rise of the resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by indiejones View Post
    As far as Rise, I doubt it. Unlike WDW, we have ZERO room for a 2-3 hour Rise standby line. They use backstage space that we just don’t have for their queue. It’ll definitely come eventually, but we may have to wait ours out a little bit longer.

All of the queue that exists in the cave and all of the extend ropes outside make up about an hour and a half of line for rise of the resistance.
    What you have to remember is that if 80-90% of the available capacity is used by the Lightning Lane, the remaining 10-20% doesn't require a lot of space to become a 3-5 hour line. I think anyone who winds up in the standby line is going to be grateful with how much seating capacity is built into the queue.

Note that you can look at Lightning Lane availability on the Walt Disney World app, even if you aren't in the parks that day. I just looked at it and at a little before 6pm ET (3pm here in California), ROTR is the only Individual Lightning Lane attraction that is sold out, with the rest offering almost immediate ride times. There is also pretty wide availability for Genie+ Lightning Lanes and even the Ratatouille virtual queue isn't completely sold out.

Obviously, a Tuesday in late October probably isn't a peak day, but it doesn't look like everything is booking up immediately. I would think that the first day of Genie availability was far from a typical day.

"You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Note that you can look at Lightning Lane availability on the Walt Disney World app, even if you aren't in the parks that day. I just looked at it and at a little before 6pm ET (3pm here in California), ROTR is the only Individual Lightning Lane attraction that is sold out, with the rest offering almost immediate ride times. There is also pretty wide availability for Genie+ Lightning Lanes and even the Ratatouille virtual queue isn't completely sold out.

Obviously, a Tuesday in late October probably isn't a peak day, but it doesn't look like everything is booking up immediately. I would think that the first day of Genie availability was far from a typical day.
    good points - though I think the Anaheim audience tends to favor convenience and is willing to spend. It will be interesting to see the numbers after the first week of hype - though it will happen while the holiday period kicks off so there may be added pressure as we move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I don't think that they will hold back ILL spots for later in the day, especially since they just undid that at WDW where they had two pools of tickets (one for hotel guests and one for everyone) and now it seems to just be one pool so hotel guests have a huge advantage. It will be interesting to see if they bring that here, since DL hotel guests usually have far fewer perques than WDW hotel guests. BUT, I do think that they will hold back some of the space for a standby line. (1) for the optics of being able to claim that people have a choice and (2) so if/when the ride breaks down they have capacity to still accommodate everyone who bought a reservation.

We have a trip coming up soon with some out-of-state guests. Park of me hopes that this is here by then. Both because I know that they would pay extra to ride the rides that are important to them, and because otherwise if they miss out on the blink and you miss it virtual queues then they don't have any ability to go on the new rides.
    Not surprising that hotel guests at WDW would have advantage of obtaining ILL spots ahead of regular guests - you have to give WDW hotel guests some perks for the pretty pennies they pay for staying onsite and filling the Disney coffers with daily purchases of food and services. And getting first crack at buying ILL spots on ROTR for instance is a lot better perk than getting only a slightly better chance of getting a virtual queue slot for the price you pay by staying at a WDW hotel.

With the bulk of guests attending Disneyland being offsite guests or residents of SoCal, the ILL process makes it a lot easier for those who may only make a one-day trip to Disneyland/DCA once a year or every couple of years to get on the newest and most popular attractions (albeit more expensively) but without possibly being shut out from the virtual queue process simply by chance
    Last edited by CDF; 10-27-2021 at 09:53 AM.