Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Restaurant Recommendations

Restaurant Recommendations

We will be coming to DLR in mid November. For all you locals, what are your recommended table and quick service restaurants. The last time we were at DLR was the year DCA opened.

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyd0 View Post
    We will be coming to DLR in mid November. For all you locals, what are your recommended table and quick service restaurants. The last time we were at DLR was the year DCA opened.
    Table Service - Wine Country Trattoria, Carthay Circle and Lamplight Lounge in DCA. Cafe Orleans in DL.

Quick Service - Smokejumpers and Flo's in DCA. Plaza Inn, Docking Bay 7 and Rancho de Zocolo in DL.

I highly recommend starting to watch for availability ASAP on the table service places for openings.

My 2 cents...
    Karin

Thanks for the recommendations Karin. Do you have any suggestions for Downtown Disney or other DLR hotel restaurants? We will have 2 non-park days so wont be able to eat at the park restaurants on those days.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the recommendations Karin. Do you have any suggestions for Downtown Disney or other DLR hotel restaurants? We will have 2 non-park days so won’t be able to eat at the park restaurants on those days.
    Catal, Naples, Uva Bar in DTD. Depending on your tastes, Tortilla Joe's is good and I hear folks like Ralph Brennan's. Ballast Point was yummy and Black Tap has those outrageous shakes. I guess you can't go wrong in DTD. Just poke around the menus and see what interests you.

Trader Sam's at DL Hotel, but it may be really hard to get into. I see folks here talking about not seeing it on the app for ADRs. Storyteller's at the Grand is good, although I haven't been back since they were closed. I'm not sure what they've got going on there anymore. If you're a foodie, Napa Rose at the grand is superb, with prices to match.
    Karin

... Do you have any suggestions for Downtown Disney or other DLR hotel restaurants? We will have 2 non-park days so won’t be able to eat at the park restaurants on those days.
    Character dining is available at the GCH (Storytellers and Napa Rose -- warning: the NR princess breakfast is $$$) and at the DLH (Goofy's Kitchen). Those options are outside the parks so no ticket needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Character dining is available at the GCH (Storytellers and Napa Rose -- warning: the NR princess breakfast is $$$) and at the DLH (Goofy's Kitchen). Those options are outside the parks so no ticket needed.
    Thanks tea4two.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Catal, Naples, Uva Bar in DTD. Depending on your tastes, Tortilla Joe's is good and I hear folks like Ralph Brennan's. Ballast Point was yummy and Black Tap has those outrageous shakes. I guess you can't go wrong in DTD. Just poke around the menus and see what interests you.

Trader Sam's at DL Hotel, but it may be really hard to get into. I see folks here talking about not seeing it on the app for ADRs. Storyteller's at the Grand is good, although I haven't been back since they were closed. I'm not sure what they've got going on there anymore. If you're a foodie, Napa Rose at the grand is superb, with prices to match.
    The Black Tap shakes are crazy! When I was at DLR a few weeks ago, I just wanted a regular Oreo shake. I guess I did not specify that I wanted the regular and not the crazy one. Wow! It was so good, but so much. Definitely could have been enough for two people.

Regarding GCH Craftsman Bar, it appears that this is an outdoor dining area. Are any of the seats covered to avoid rain? Are there heaters in case it is cool?

So there used to be Whitewater Snacks and the pool bar. What I see from googling is that the pool bar is now called GCH Craftsman Bar and Whitewater Snacks is now called GCH Craftsman Grill. If that is true the bar would be outdoor and the grill indoor.

Whitewater (now GCH Crafsman Grill) was a great place to go without a reservation because it was just outside the park through the side entrance and being out of site it didn't get a lot of traffic. I don't know if that is still true.

Another question: Last time I was at the parks, two years ago, it was convenient to order food through the app rather than stand in line; however, the app didn't work very well. I was twice charged for a meal for four people yet the order was placed. It was so crowded and impossible to get anyone to do anything about it that I ended up paying for the same meal twice. A lot of wasted money. Is the app sill a mess or have they fixed it?

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    So there used to be Whitewater Snacks and the pool bar. What I see from googling is that the pool bar is now called GCH Craftsman Bar and Whitewater Snacks is now called GCH Craftsman Grill. If that is true the bar would be outdoor and the grill indoor.

Whitewater (now GCH Crafsman Grill) was a great place to go without a reservation because it was just outside the park through the side entrance and being out of site it didn't get a lot of traffic. I don't know if that is still true.

Another question: Last time I was at the parks, two years ago, it was convenient to order food through the app rather than stand in line; however, the app didn't work very well. I was twice charged for a meal for four people yet the order was placed. It was so crowded and impossible to get anyone to do anything about it that I ended up paying for the same meal twice. A lot of wasted money. Is the app sill a mess or have they fixed it?
    Yes Bar is outside seating, Grill is inside (its just whitewater with a new name). grill does not require any reservation.

The parks now rely on the app more so than ever before. For a while this past summer they forced Mobile Order for all food interaction to reduce contact. Of course that created a madhouse. And it also forced all of the return times for food to be taken - leaving some people with no ability to order food - kind of like Fastpass. They no longer do that (mobile order only).
    I think the performance of the app for mobile order isnt as buggy as before - but some locations still take longer than others to fill orders. And some that used to take mobile orders dont anymore. I think it also depends on crowd size, etc.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post

A couple of notes - Ballast Point does not use the Disney App ADR mechanism. And when you to go OpenTable it always says there are no spots open. I had to go in person to get a spot. Sam's is now taking ADRs again but its very difficult to get one. They do have a walk up but the wait can be very long for an indoor seat - if at all. Storytellers is open for Breakfast and Dinner. I think Breakfast is Character but it could be both. They recently brought back the buffet. I agree on Napa Rose - if you want a culinary experience thats where to go.

Dont forget Jolly Holiday, Plaza Inn. Alien Pizza Planet and French Market as quick service restaurants in Disneyland. Pym's test kitchen in DCA. Also the Paradise garden Grill does seasonal menu items and right now is LatinX menu in celebration of Coco and Plaza de Familia. No indoor seating though. (well, neither does French Market or jolly holiday).

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Note that Goofy's Kitchen has yet to bring back characters into the dining. Though the prices are still the same as if they were around.

and I will point out one option you cant get - Steakhouse 55. It was closed for good earlier this year (GRRRR).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Note that Goofy's Kitchen has yet to bring back characters into the dining...
    Characters were supposed to return to Goofy's on 9/16/21. The webpage description for Goofy's at breakfast says that characters will be there.

I should have made reservations soon, but I didn't. I have the following dinner reservations:

Thursday Ralph Brennan's for 2
    Friday Storytellers for 4
    Saturday Napels for 2

For Thursday there will be four of us and Saturday there will be three of us. What do you think will happen if we all show up and ask if they have room for the extra people?

Actually, thinking about it I have a few other questions. First, let me explain the situation. We will be staying at the Paradise Pier Thursday through Sunday. My wife will be in LA for work and my son lives in LA. They will meet us at the hotel in the afternoon sometime. Who knows could be later. My daughter and I will be driving down from San Francisco on Thursday arriving at 3ish. My son will only be with us Thursday evening and Friday, he may not even be with us for dinner on Friday.

1) Because my daughter and I arrive at 3:00 on Thursday and my son and wife arrive who knows when, I am thinking of keeping that day casual, without a reservation. I can try to get into Trader Sam's or into somewhere else without a reservation or if worse comes to worse order room service at the hotel. Does the Paradise Pier have room service?

2) On Friday we have reservations for four. I think I will know about my son soon enough to cancel his reservation and switch ours to three people, but if not do they charge for the no show if three of four people show up? Also by when do I need to cancel the reservation?

3) Finally, the same question as the last post. We have reservations for two but there will be three of us. If three show up and the reservations are for two, how likely are they to accommodate us?