Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Candlelight Processional

Candlelight Processional

Has anyone heard if the Candlelight Processional will be happening this year? I would imagine there would be plans in place for rehearsals by now if it were going to be happening.

2. # ADS

I wouldn't think its happening, as its a lot of people crowded, sitting in close quarters for hours on end. Not to mention there's still no ETA for parades or shows right now either

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well the park did announce that Christmas Fantasy would return on Nov 12th - so parade is at least scheduled to return. I still agree that packing in main street like that is probably not going to happen. However, they could (if they wanted to) create event seating either at Fantasyland Theater or at Hyperion Theater in DCA. Though this was rumored before and its never happened.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    well the park did announce that Christmas Fantasy would return on Nov 12th - so parade is at least scheduled to return. I still agree that packing in main street like that is probably not going to happen. However, they could (if they wanted to) create event seating either at Fantasyland Theater or at Hyperion Theater in DCA. Though this was rumored before and its never happened.
    They wont pack in for Candlelight but they do it Friday through Sunday nights for fireworks?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indiejones View Post
    They wont pack in for Candlelight but they do it Friday through Sunday nights for fireworks?
    True - but you are also talking about all the performers being packed in as well as special guests with seats. I don't think the park may risk that unless the numbers get better with Delta. Of course we are probably past the point of planning the event but you never know with Disney.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Not even that but there are some rides you don't have to wear a mask on because its "outdoors" but hey you get to be packed on there with some random strangers as well. I don't get the logic in any of it at all with this stuff. Even with packing in the performers because aren't they all CMs? I don't buy COVID excuses given on what Disney does at this point when they will gladly fill up parks as they see fit with guests, put on fireworks, mini parades, pack on rides, etc... Back before June 15th, it was given the excuse of how they had to distance the workers when it came to working in the food places but yet when we had gone in early June we picked up our food at Smokerjumpers and there was no CMs behind the counter getting the food or in the kitchen area that were distanced. They were pretty packed in that place. I'm going to guess that if they don't do Candlelight its more of a factor of cost than anything else for them on this coast.

True - but you are also talking about all the performers being packed in as well as special guests with seats. I don't think the park may risk that unless the numbers get better with Delta. Of course we are probably past the point of planning the event but you never know with Disney.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    I seriously doubt Disney cares at all about that. IF they did they wouldn't be doing many of the things they have been but would have done more to distance guests, have them wear masks in and outdoors, and wouldn't be seating you next to random groups of people on rides...and especially with no masks on.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Not even that but there are some rides you don't have to wear a mask on because its "outdoors" but hey you get to be packed on there with some random strangers as well. I don't get the logic in any of it at all with this stuff. Even with packing in the performers because aren't they all CMs? I don't buy COVID excuses given on what Disney does at this point when they will gladly fill up parks as they see fit with guests, put on fireworks, mini parades, pack on rides, etc... Back before June 15th, it was given the excuse of how they had to distance the workers when it came to working in the food places but yet when we had gone in early June we picked up our food at Smokerjumpers and there was no CMs behind the counter getting the food or in the kitchen area that were distanced. They were pretty packed in that place. I'm going to guess that if they don't do Candlelight its more of a factor of cost than anything else for them on this coast.

I seriously doubt Disney cares at all about that. IF they did they wouldn't be doing many of the things they have been but would have done more to distance guests, have them wear masks in and outdoors, and wouldn't be seating you next to random groups of people on rides...and especially with no masks on.
    I dont agree necessarily. Only because Disney does have to deal with unions for some roles as well as concerns for staff safety long term. What I think is they will do the minimum needed for guest safety. If the medical advice is masks are only needed indoors, and to supply hand sanitation locations, but not required by order to maintain social distancing then they will leave it up to guest discretion to manage their own safety and comfort level. it seems that "only doing what you have to" is the rule here... That being said if they dont want CMs next to each other so tight without masks then it wont happen. Though they may say wear a mask for them. A muffled Candlelight? can that happen?

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    I dont agree necessarily. Only because Disney does have to deal with unions for some roles as well as concerns for staff safety long term. What I think is they will do the minimum needed for guest safety. If the medical advice is masks are only needed indoors, and to supply hand sanitation locations, but not required by order to maintain social distancing then they will leave it up to guest discretion to manage their own safety and comfort level. it seems that "only doing what you have to" is the rule here... That being said if they dont want CMs next to each other so tight without masks then it wont happen. Though they may say wear a mask for them. A muffled Candlelight? can that happen?
    There are specially designed masks for singing with wire frames ballooning the mask out from the face, allowing for wide open mouth singing. The soloists at my church wear them. Add an over-the-ear microphone and bing bang boom, Bob's your Uncle. Candlelight.

I doubt they'll do it. 1) it's not been announced yet and 2) bad optics for packing in an audience.
    Karin

I don't know how much unions have a hand in this area really. I was wondering about that as well. Yet it would cost them money to put up/take down the staging area for it, have the extra staff on hand for it, and so on. It doesn't seem worth it really for those reasons as well. I would hope that the thought of cramming in a bunch of CMs from different parts of the company during COVID would be the first thought of why it wouldn't be the best thing to do but I don't think its what comes to mind for them first.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Blog Entries

and would CMs take them up on the chance to perform? It's not a mandatory thing from what I understand. Its an honor to perform but if its risky in some CMs minds then they may excuse themselves. As Berry said - maybe the cost of buildup and tear-down is something park's management doesnt want (and by that I mean Burbank, er Florida. ). I really dont know how much say Potrock has in operations these days.

and would CMs take them up on the chance to perform? It's not a mandatory thing from what I understand. Its an honor to perform but if its risky in some CMs minds then they may excuse themselves. As Berry said - maybe the cost of buildup and tear-down is something park's management doesnt want (and by that I mean Burbank, er Florida. ). I really dont know how much say Potrock has in operations these days.
    I can imagine there are those CMs that would be concerned and don't want to. I'm sure there are those that would do it no matter the risk involved. Hey this could be a combo of things on why. It almost seems like Potrock has no say with the fact that everything is D'Amaro or Chapek seeming to give direction of things...or at least it this is how everything is coming off. Have they announced it for WDW at all?

Blog Entries
    I can imagine there are those CMs that would be concerned and don't want to. I'm sure there are those that would do it no matter the risk involved. Hey this could be a combo of things on why. It almost seems like Potrock has no say with the fact that everything is D'Amaro or Chapek seeming to give direction of things...or at least it this is how everything is coming off. Have they announced it for WDW at all?
    no official announcement re:Candlelight at WDW - here is their holiday page https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ev...rHolidaysEpcot

Quote Originally Posted by DJsDaddy View Post
    Has anyone heard if the Candlelight Processional will be happening this year? I would imagine there would be plans in place for rehearsals by now if it were going to be happening.
    Candlelight is returning to EPCOT this holiday season.

Blog Entries
    Candlelight is returning to EPCOT this holiday season.
    yeah I saw that. I guess if Disneyland does the same (vaccinated cast and musicians, no outside groups) they can hold it too - though still its not in a controlled environment like the Epcot theater. They have time to announce anyway - there's no public seating or tickets per se (that one-year experiment being just that). They could wait till later in October to announce that it would return.

yeah I saw that. I guess if Disneyland does the same (vaccinated cast and musicians, no outside groups) they can hold it too - though still its not in a controlled environment like the Epcot theater. They have time to announce anyway - there's no public seating or tickets per se (that one-year experiment being just that). They could wait till later in October to announce that it would return.
    WDW they make money off doing it since they have dining packages. So aside from the fact they have the theater they do it in, it also brings in more money from that. I know it was done in the past the one year or so here but does the Candlelight bring any money into Disneyland? Do they make anything off it at all here? I think this is something that they could be looking at since Disney seems to be more focused on what they can charge for next and bring in more money. So if this is brought back this year to Disneyland, will they try again with the dining packages or even just charging for having a seat? Could they go smaller scale version and hold it over in DCA's Hyperion Theater? That would take the public being able to view it for free out of the equation. And I shall now undo the hex I have done with putting this out there.

does the Candlelight bring any money into Disneyland? Do they make anything off it at all here?
    It's an invitation-only event for Club 33 members and other invited guests. I don't know if it's an advertised part of the membership or just a "membership extra". Club 33 members pay a ton of money in their yearly dues, but as far as I know nothing additional to attend, so I don't know how Disney allocates the cost of the event.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    It's an invitation-only event for Club 33 members and other invited guests. I don't know if it's an advertised part of the membership or just a "membership extra". Club 33 members pay a ton of money in their yearly dues, but as far as I know nothing additional to attend, so I don't know how Disney allocates the cost of the event.
    Thanks for that. That is what I had known before but wasn't sure if there was something else that maybe I wasn't aware of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    thats right. Its essentially an expectation by Club33 members that the event will be held and they can get seats. There are also special annual commemorative gifts available for members as well if i recall correctly. So its a big deal for "good will" towards Club33 members. We shall see.

Blog Entries
    thats right. Its essentially an expectation by Club33 members that the event will be held and they can get seats. There are also special annual commemorative gifts available for members as well if i recall correctly. So its a big deal for "good will" towards Club33 members. We shall see.
    Club members only make up about 20% of the seated guests. There are also a lot of Disney VIPs invited.

I was told maybe 2 mos ago by friends in high places that Candlelight was a go for this year. Several friends who are in Guest Relations had to change vacation plans because it is all hands on deck that weekend. My bet is on Emily Blunt for narrator.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Club members only make up about 20% of the seated guests. There are also a lot of Disney VIPs invited.

I was told maybe 2 mos ago by friends in high places that Candlelight was a go for this year. Several friends who are in Guest Relations had to change vacation plans because it is all hands on deck that weekend. My bet is on Emily Blunt for narrator.
    Thanks so much for sharing this! Someone on IG shared that choirs are in rehearsal, which supports what you were told. We missed CP so much last year. Excited about its return!

oh man if Emily is the narrator I am thinking we may have to go down once a date is set. I have been once, in 2019 when it was Lin Manuel-Miranda, very cool experience

Blog Entries

looks like I need to make plans too... gotta find an extra Reservation or cancel another one...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    oh man if Emily is the narrator I am thinking we may have to go down once a date is set. I have been once, in 2019 when it was Lin Manuel-Miranda, very cool experience
    It is just my guess, Emily Blunt.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Narrator has been announced as Sterling K Brown
    I like him in the things I have seen him in but this makes me ok with not going this year

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Narrator has been announced as Sterling K Brown
    I like him in the things I have seen him in but this makes me ok with not going this year
    I like him too but I find it an odd choice. I just saw "The Predator" again on TV a couple of days ago and I wont be able to get the idea out of my head with his personality in that film. I cant tell you who should have been the narrator (someone earlier said Emily Blunt which I thought was good) but I guess they have to go with who is available.