Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Disney Genie, Genie+ & Lightning Lane News

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Blog Entries
    1

    Disney Genie, Genie+ & Lightning Lane News

    From ticket books to day passes, annual passes and FastPass+, the way visitors have accessed the Disney theme parks and its rides has changed several times since 1955. It's all about to change again, as Disney prepares to debut its new Disney Genie service at Disneyland and Walt Disney World sometime this fall, and introduces a replacement for FastPass.

    How much this will change your theme park experience will depend in part on which Resort you're used to visiting, and how much you're willing to pay to access new premium features.

    Full article here.

    Karin


  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    From ticket books to day passes, annual passes and FastPass+, the way visitors have accessed the Disney theme parks and its rides has changed several times since 1955. It's all about to change again, as Disney prepares to debut its new Disney Genie service at Disneyland and Walt Disney World sometime this fall, and introduces a replacement for FastPass.

    How much this will change your theme park experience will depend in part on which Resort you're used to visiting, and how much you're willing to pay to access new premium features.

    Full article here.
    I have made my last trips to a Disney Park with this news. I am extremely sad because I enjoyed going with my son and his family, but they are continually taking things away under the guise o improvement. Sorry, but no thanks. As soon as I feel safe, I will be going on a Disney Cruise because I promised my family before COVID hit and I will keep that promise, but then, Disney parks/cruise will not get anymore of my money.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S. California (from Wisconsin)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Predictions from Captain Obvious:

    MOST families visiting Disney's American parks from 500+ miles a way might splurge on the $15 to $20 per CUSTOMER (no longer "guests" if we're being honest) per day for Lightning Lane
    to be able to ride SOME most of the most popular attractions with a shorter wait,
    SO
    the so-called Lightning Lane be a mess on the many crowded days, and in order to then really make Lightning Lane substantially faster, Disney "will have no choice but to raise the price of Lightning Lane."

    And so if at WDW
    the Rise of the Resistance,
    Avatar Flight of Passage
    & Tron
    fastpass options (they won't be Lightning Lane options & will have the longest lines) are raised to $30,
    there will be a damaging backlash.
    ("One hundred and twenty bucks so my family of 4 could ride a two-minute coaster once!")
    This will be on top of the $400 extra a family of 4 a family would pay for Lightning Lane for 5 days in the parks if L.L. will increase to $20 a day, as it reportedly will cost from the start at Disneyland.

    Sorry to say, but sadly it's true: Robert Paycheck is a short-term thinking antiWalt.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Predictions from Captain Obvious:

    MOST families visiting Disney's American parks from 500+ miles a way might splurge on the $15 to $20 per CUSTOMER (no longer "guests" if we're being honest) per day for Lightning Lane
    to be able to ride SOME most of the most popular attractions with a shorter wait,
    SO
    the so-called Lightning Lane be a mess on the many crowded days, and in order to then really make Lightning Lane substantially faster, Disney "will have no choice but to raise the price of Lightning Lane."

    And so if at WDW
    the Rise of the Resistance,
    Avatar Flight of Passage
    & Tron
    fastpass options (they won't be Lightning Lane options & will have the longest lines) are raised to $30,
    there will be a damaging backlash.
    ("One hundred and twenty bucks so my family of 4 could ride a two-minute coaster once!")
    This will be on top of the $400 extra a family of 4 a family would pay for Lightning Lane for 5 days in the parks if L.L. will increase to $20 a day, as it reportedly will cost from the start at Disneyland.

    Sorry to say, but sadly it's true: Robert Paycheck is a short-term thinking antiWalt.
    Being an ex-SoCal-AP-holder now living in Washington state, I would probably be willing to pay $20-$30 each for my wife and I to get to experience ROTR on any upcoming Disneyland trip we might make. As we are retired we certainly would be going on one of the lower-priced ticket days for Disneyland - I'm not sure that my sons and their families who still live in SoCal would find the Genie+ pricing situation good for them as they like to go a few times a year and with a family of 4 the extra cost options will not be a nice situation for them.

  6. #5

    Just heard they are "pausing" the boarding groups for RotR. Cynical me says this is to really screw over people prior to Genie+/LL so they are more likely to be OK buying the new stuff. Without boarding groups, people will be forced to stand in line for 2+ hrs to ride RotR... after that, OF COURSE people will be more likely to buy G+/LL.

    "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Doubly true for a woman disappointed to her soul in her favorite lifelong love.

    Trips to DL: 2x 1978-1988, 90, 95, 98, 99, 00, 05 (2x), 10, 12, 15, 16, 17(2x), 18, 19(2x), 21. WDW 11/2020.
    Me: 46, DH: 49, DC: 17, DS: 13

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent2B View Post
    Just heard they are "pausing" the boarding groups for RotR. Cynical me says this is to really screw over people prior to Genie+/LL so they are more likely to be OK buying the new stuff. Without boarding groups, people will be forced to stand in line for 2+ hrs to ride RotR... after that, OF COURSE people will be more likely to buy G+/LL.

    "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Doubly true for a woman disappointed to her soul in her favorite lifelong love.
    Not that I don't see the money grab part of this equation, believe me, I do (and I'm not necessarily a fan of that aspect myself).

    But as to the time wasting potential, (all IMHO, of course ), I feel this is much better than the boarding group lottery, particularly with the other park visiting limitations that we seem to be keeping even as the parks rebound from COVID limitations. (park reservations and park hopping only allowed after 2 PM).

    With the boarding group, my only way to try to maximize my chances at getting on RotR was to try to schedule a significant percentage of my park visiting days at DHS. That in itself would be fine without the park hopping restriction, but now for any day I am not successful (which seemed likely when the groups were all gone within seconds), I cannot visit another park until 2 PM. If it's my first day, then I agree that would not be a big deal, as I do enjoy a lot of DHS as well. But I would not have appreciated being limited to that park until 2 PM on any successive day(s) I did not successfully obtain a boarding group. I could theoretically spend half of my vacation in DHS and if I had bad boarding group luck, still not experience the attraction.

    Obviously I still need to do park reservations, but now that I can decide to wait in the standby line, I am wasting less time, not more.

    If I fail, would I pay for the Lightning Lane? Not sure. If I had really bad luck and wasted a lot of time in standby on multiple days(if the ride breaks down), possibly. But it certainly is not my go to 1st cut at how to experience the attraction.

    If it really is only (I say that half kidding and half serious) about 2 hours and change, I'd be OK with that. That seems to be a fairly standard accepted normal standby time for the top rides (FoP, SDMT, etc.). If it's total craziness and a 6 hour wait regularly, then I would of course not be thrilled.

    As documented well elsewhere, the bottom line is Disney either intentionally or accidentally built a ride with very low rider capacity. They should have known better, but didn't.

    I would hope giving Disney the benefit of the doubt and saying it was accidental is the true story. (I mean, they aren't perfect, they did have that floor sensor issue before the rides opened, so as good as they are, they do make legitimate mistakes sometimes )

    But it would not be entirely shocking if this whole ball of wax was developed in parallel with this ultimate goal (getting people to go for Genie plus pay per add-ons) way back during the ride design phase(i.e., intentionally designing things with low capacity so that more people are willing to shell out $$ for the pay per ride Lightning Lane). I really hope that was not the case though, not that I think we would ever find out if that was the goal all along.
    -Dave

  8. #7

    My wife and I discussed that possibly on certain days at certain parks we may purchase the $15 Lightning Lane Add-on for the day. We are not sure if we would be willing to pay on the big ticket per ride attraction costs.

    I really think this new system is a combination of the old paper FastPass system and FP+. You cannot get them until the day of; and then you can only hold one at a time. it does give you the flexibility to choose what you do and when.

    In my opinion, it would have been better if they left off the per ride charge for the E Ticket attractions, and made the cost a little more per day for all rides.

    Time will tell how this all plays out.


  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida

    We are here trying to use Disney Genie for the first time. Yesterday we couldn't get the app to work in the park even to order food and all the cast members said oh yea we are having problems too. We found out some info on the Genie system and we are so disappointed. We pay so much for the rooms and for our regular tickets and now they want to charge us another $15 each per day just so we can pay extra for Fast Passes? So disappointing. But the parks and resort are packed. And the Lightening Lanes were getting used by a lot of people. So it is working and Disney is making big bucks.


  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida

    Update on Lightning Lanes. We were talking to some people who have used it and they said in some instances they had to wait 90 minutes for the Lightning Lane. The park was so full and it defeats the purpose. Fast Pass was awesome!


  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Blog Entries
    1

    Oops. Wrong thread. Deleted.

    Karin


  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida

    Well, we sure have come a long way from Walt creating a place that families could go to and have fun together. This new Genie thing seems to be Disney wanting to take every single penny they can from us, while leaving us demoralized and depressed during and afterwards. This was our first trip with Genie and what we saw first hand and experienced ourselves means that there is no more room for "Magic" at WDW. The good news for Disney is that there a plenty of people with lots of money that are more than happy to spend that at WDW. It seems that Disney reacted quickly to people waiting along time inline for Lightening Lanes by allowing LL patrons in to the ride immediately as was the case at Mickey and Minnies Railroad today. No matter that standby people had to wait twice as long, the people that paid $38 extra got right on. The new WDW!


  13. #12
    Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Blog Entries
    1

    "From December 19th, 2021, through January 3rd, 2022, some rides that were previously pay-per-ride attractions will instead be included with Genie+.

    The rides that will be included with Genie+ during this time (in addition to the rides that were already included) are:

    Space Mountain (in the Magic Kingdom)
    Frozen Ever After (in EPCOT)
    Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (in Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
    Expedition Everest (in Disney’s Animal Kingdom)"

    Click here for full article.

    Karin


  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    "From December 19th, 2021, through January 3rd, 2022, some rides that were previously pay-per-ride attractions will instead be included with Genie+.

    The rides that will be included with Genie+ during this time (in addition to the rides that were already included) are:

    Space Mountain (in the Magic Kingdom)
    Frozen Ever After (in EPCOT)
    Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (in Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
    Expedition Everest (in Disney’s Animal Kingdom)"

    Click here for full article.
    On top of that, early entry is now an hour before official park opening. Very interesting. I wonder if they are testing this out to try to eliminate the amount of issues and complaints about G+.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •