Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disney Genie, Genie+ & Lightning Lane News

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Disney Genie, Genie+ & Lightning Lane News

From ticket books to day passes, annual passes and FastPass+, the way visitors have accessed the Disney theme parks and its rides has changed several times since 1955. It's all about to change again, as Disney prepares to debut its new Disney Genie service at Disneyland and Walt Disney World sometime this fall, and introduces a replacement for FastPass.

How much this will change your theme park experience will depend in part on which Resort you're used to visiting, and how much you're willing to pay to access new premium features.

Full article here.

I'm glad they released this prior to the Magic Keys going on sale. Can't imagine the outcry if it'd been announced afterwards.

Last edited by Karin; 08-18-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    Karin

2. # ADS

I think most of us knew it was coming to this. I wonder how many will now rethink getting passes/keys here with it not being included. I can imagine most people would rather pay the one time fee for the day though than pay by the ride. With any they might have to pay for each ride, will they? Yet how many that have passes/keys will do so for each visit? Seeing lots of unhappy people on other boards. It has me rethinking passes now. I'm not into the whole "pay to play" junk. If they want to play games with being able to even get on rides with setting up more VQs and such as well on top of paying for the Lightening Pass or pay per ride. SMH I love how they say the Genie app will help guests be "spontaneous". LOL Didn't need an app for that ever.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I think most of us knew it was coming to this. I wonder how many will now rethink getting passes/keys here with it not being included. I can imagine most people would rather pay the one time fee for the day though than pay by the ride. With any they might have to pay for each ride, will they? Yet how many that have passes/keys will do so for each visit? Seeing lots of unhappy people on other boards. It has me rethinking passes now. I'm not into the whole "pay to play" junk. If they want to play games with being able to even get on rides with setting up more VQs and such as well on top of paying for the Lightening Pass or pay per ride. SMH
    Bingo - so we need to buy a key, with no guarantee we'd get in on a chosen day, and then get the privilege for paying just a little extra to make sure we can get on the attraction of our choice? Nope - I'm out for now - maybe a day tripper or so later on, but no more AP for me - (after 30+ years) I'm done.

I was reading the Q&A D’Amaro did on D23 on this and I really wonder if they understand what words like flexibility and spontaneous even mean. If an app is directing things as they say it will to "plan" your day there really isn't anything spontaneous about that. I am just left SMH at how these people in charge of the parks and Disney just seem so out of touch with guests. IMO as I said under the Mouseplanet post on this, this is a way for them to see what guests are doing throughout the day by using Genie and what it says or not.

D'Amaro's reply to the question: In the before-time, guests at Walt Disney World could book their Fast Passes in advance while guests at Disneyland would book through Max Pass or get a FASTPASS on the day the go to the park. How did the team decide to stick with day-of planning for both resorts? "What our guests were telling us was that they wanted more simplicity and spontaneity. They wanted it to be a more convenient tool for them. We’ve done that with the Genie suite of products, so you don’t need to be scrambling and worried. Let the tool do the work for you. And then, show up and enjoy yourself. It’s that idea of simplicity that we love at Disney, and it’s what our fans told us they want. So this applies perfectly to Walt Disney World.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Just got back from a 2 day trip to DLR. Had a great time but the one thing that bothered me was how much I had to rely on my cell phone. Park admission, mobile food orders, boarding groups, etc. Give me back paper fast passes and the big wait time board near Adventureland entrance. Planning out fastpass strategy and getting them was part of the fun. Not a big fan of the move to have everything on the phone and having that in your hand most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp21 View Post
    Just got back from a 2 day trip to DLR. Had a great time but the one thing that bothered me was how much I had to rely on my cell phone. Park admission, mobile food orders, boarding groups, etc. Give me back paper fast passes and the big wait time board near Adventureland entrance. Planning out fastpass strategy and getting them was part of the fun. Not a big fan of the move to have everything on the phone and having that in your hand most of the day.
    Yet for some reason Disney thinks we need more tech in the parks not less. I know I would prefer less myself.

This on top of the new Not So Magic Key program are quite disappointing. My wife and I are 64, and have been going to Disneyland together since before we were married in 1977. One thing is evident after all this faux pixie dust that have started to spread lately-Our best Disneyland days are well behind us.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

I was reading the Q&A D’Amaro did on D23 on this and I really wonder if they understand what words like flexibility and spontaneous even mean. If an app is directing things as they say it will to "plan" your day there really isn't anything spontaneous about that. I am just left SMH at how these people in charge of the parks and Disney just seem so out of touch with guests. IMO as I said under the Mouseplanet post on this, this is a way for them to see what guests are doing throughout the day by using Genie and what it says or not.

D'Amaro's reply to the question: In the before-time, guests at Walt Disney World could book their Fast Passes in advance while guests at Disneyland would book through Max Pass or get a FASTPASS on the day the go to the park. How did the team decide to stick with day-of planning for both resorts? "What our guests were telling us was that they wanted more simplicity and spontaneity. They wanted it to be a more convenient tool for them. We’ve done that with the Genie suite of products, so you don’t need to be scrambling and worried. Let the tool do the work for you. And then, show up and enjoy yourself. It’s that idea of simplicity that we love at Disney, and it’s what our fans told us they want. So this applies perfectly to Walt Disney World.
    Well, it's not his job to say what is necessarily truth (it should be, but I somehow doubt Disney cares much if the spin is truth, they just care that it convinces the masses to spend more money, not that I am against them making money...I'm full aware and on board that this is a business). Obviously if he can convince the die hard D23 crowd, that's his mission here (even if very few of the audience actually might view this news in a positive light)

They pay him (for this part of his job, at least) to convey the masses that what they are doing is "the wave of the future", spontaneous, etc, even if the new hoops one must jump through are certainly not. Perception/advertising is everything. The whole "lipstick on the pig" idea to borrow that coined phrase from the political arena. Or the definition of "truth" in books like 1984.

It just wouldn't sound the same if he said "Remember when you could go on vacation and forget about your phone while you are running around the parks... well, those days are now 100% over with this new tracking tool we've developed to try to optimize how much money each guest spends at the cost of all other aspects of their vacation experience, isn't that great??!!(you may even get to go on a few rides (if you get into the park you want)... people were getting too good at using the old systems and not spending enough time/money at other "experiences", so we had to fix that)"

I guess I'm just glad I'm not a DVC person with an investment in a time share. While I've enjoyed my many trips to both WDW and DL since 2010 when I re-ignited the dormant spark during a break while on a work assignment (had been to DL twice as a kid growing up), I think my routine of trying to go twice a year to WDW and maybe once every 2 years to DL are now behind me. I'll not say never, I will still go if a larger family group wants to go again someday.

I think most of us (at least frequent visitors) agree we had most of the spontaneity we needed when we had true park hoppers or passes.

Sorry adding to the rant. And this may be more of a WDW rant from me, but I guess since the systems will now be the same, it applies equivalently to both coasts.
    -Dave

Goodness gracious.

I can’t even with this news.

My 14yo daughter said something I never imagined possible from her: “this makes me want to not even go.”

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Goodness gracious.

I can’t even with this news.

My 14yo daughter said something I never imagined possible from her: “this makes me want to not even go.”
    I get it. I never thought I would feel like I do at this point and my husband the opposite on it. He is still ready to get passes (sorry not calling it keys as it really sounds stupid IMO). While I started really feeling unsure about it once I saw this news drop. I know we wouldn't be paying for all that extra when we would go. IF (HUGE IF) it would be a once in a blue moon and because we spent the whole day in the parks. Yet I can't see spending it on 1-2 extras on top of it no matter what. I'm really wondering how this will end up effecting lines. As well as how many rides will one be able to get a LL time for in a day? From what it sounds like it will be set up where the ride you set up has to be used before getting a new one. Seriously, I can't imagine being a 1st timer to either Disneyland or WDW and trying to figure this new system out.

As much as I hate to say it, I think It may be time we start cutting back our Disney trips. It is become more expensive and less of a value. They are over complicating the experience. I think it’s time to look at vacations elsewhere. Places like Pigeon Forge, Branson, beach destinations, etc.

I get it. I never thought I would feel like I do at this point and my husband the opposite on it. He is still ready to get passes (sorry not calling it keys as it really sounds stupid IMO). While I started really feeling unsure about it once I saw this news drop. I know we wouldn't be paying for all that extra when we would go. IF (HUGE IF) it would be a once in a blue moon and because we spent the whole day in the parks. Yet I can't see spending it on 1-2 extras on top of it no matter what. I'm really wondering how this will end up effecting lines. As well as how many rides will one be able to get a LL time for in a day? From what it sounds like it will be set up where the ride you set up has to be used before getting a new one. Seriously, I can't imagine being a 1st timer to either Disneyland or WDW and trying to figure this new system out.
    I'm with BP on this latest new Genie travesty being offered by Disney - seems like Disney has jumped the Shark in terms of add-ons, virtual queues, reservations, etc.

Perhaps at some future point in time Disney will host a "70's day" each week where you simply pay to get into the park and then wait in lines the old way so those of us that were spoiled by attending the park in the era before Fastpass or Virtual Queues or Genie applications had you spending all day planning instead of doing .........

Quote Originally Posted by CDF View Post
    Perhaps at some future point in time Disney will host a "70's day" each week where you simply pay to get into the park and then wait in lines the old way so those of us that were spoiled by attending the park in the era before Fastpass or Virtual Queues or Genie applications had you spending all day planning instead of doing .........
    Well ... if that's what you want then you should probably head out to the coast of your choice prior to "fall" when this new system is implemented. Because right now there is no Fastpass and this isn't live yet. So it is back to the past.

My kids have grown up not knowing anything other than Fastpass. And as we had passes for much of their childhood, they also know that we are pretty good as determining which Fastpasses to get when so as to minimize the virtual wait times and maximize the number of Fastpasses we can get in a day.

We went to Disneyland in June. They did NOT enjoy waiting in long lines. And (although perhaps unsurprising) they have no ability to look at a line and determine its likely length. We walked towards Pirates, which had a posted 40 minute wait. Looked at where the line was stopping, that there was no use of the side queue, and said that the posted wait was likely incorrect and we should ride now. The kids were not eager to wait 40 minutes for Pirates, but we forced them to get in line and of course the actual wait was substantially less than what was posted. My kids missed Fastpass and didn't want to go back to Disneyland until it was restored. They are not fans of waiting in the full line.

I haven't decided how I feel about this new offering. I'm disappointed that there is not currently an option to include it with the annual pass (keys) - or at least a tiered discount similar to parking based on which pass was purchased.

I'm not familiar with the Disneyland Paris pass, so maybe I will come to hate this over time, but I'm not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Well ... if that's what you want then you should probably head out to the coast of your choice prior to "fall" when this new system is implemented. Because right now there is no Fastpass and this isn't live yet. So it is back to the past.

My kids have grown up not knowing anything other than Fastpass. And as we had passes for much of their childhood, they also know that we are pretty good as determining which Fastpasses to get when so as to minimize the virtual wait times and maximize the number of Fastpasses we can get in a day.

We went to Disneyland in June. They did NOT enjoy waiting in long lines. And (although perhaps unsurprising) they have no ability to look at a line and determine its likely length. We walked towards Pirates, which had a posted 40 minute wait. Looked at where the line was stopping, that there was no use of the side queue, and said that the posted wait was likely incorrect and we should ride now. The kids were not eager to wait 40 minutes for Pirates, but we forced them to get in line and of course the actual wait was substantially less than what was posted. My kids missed Fastpass and didn't want to go back to Disneyland until it was restored. They are not fans of waiting in the full line.

I haven't decided how I feel about this new offering. I'm disappointed that there is not currently an option to include it with the annual pass (keys) - or at least a tiered discount similar to parking based on which pass was purchased.

I'm not familiar with the Disneyland Paris pass, so maybe I will come to hate this over time, but I'm not there yet.
    My kids had no issues with the lines when we went in June but I get why some would and even some adults. I basically gave them the heads up that it could be more waiting than they are used to but really it ended up not to bad. We had a couple rides we had to wait longer for than we would have all liked for sure but otherwise when things looked to long we went elsewhere and came back later. Which seemed to have worked out for us when we went. Pirates is one of those that I think at this point most of us can eye it and tell when its WAY to long a wait and not. When we walked by it the first time it was all over the place in NOS. We went back later in the evening and the line started after walking under the bridge. The wait time was so off then as well with it saying pretty much close to what you saw. This was the one part though that was terrible was the wait times just not being right at all. Then you had to mix in at the time we went the social distancing and if it was the reason it looked longer or if it really was. Yet even with all we did get to do, there was still those rides we had to skip because of lines staying long all day, the stupid VQ for Indy, and no boarding groups. Which the VQ, boarding groups and stuck mobile ordering wouldn't have been very "70s like". LOL

I think at this point when it comes to the passes, Disney has made it sound like they could change in this area and include it with the passes down the road. I am thinking they are testing the waters for now to see how many will bite and pay for it each visit compared to not. If not enough do I can see it being either added into the highest as part of the cost or just offering it as an extra yearly charge for all tiers if they want it.

The DLParis one is a per ride charge for certain rides and they vary on price. It varies from I think it was almost $10 for the cheapest to almost $18 (maybe it was $20) for the highest that is in American dollars. We seem to be getting a mix of that set up with a couple rides in each park looking to be pay per ride and the Maxpass set up. They also had set up VQ standby. Which that sounded like what we saw them doing here with Indy for a while with the VQ. So when the lines get to long for whatever rides in Paris I guess they just switch to the VQ system. I haven't really looked up on how any of this has been going though over there. I know that when the VQ system started though it looked like a giant mess.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems to me that Disney wants confusion because then, possibly exacerbated by all of the choices, you'll just throw money at it and let them run things for you. That's their ultimate - and if many old guard Disney fans stop coming and new ones come in willing to spend the money - so much better for the parks. They will be slightly less congested but be making as much - or more - money.

As for me - I plan to get a pass this year and milk it for what I can (reservations and all) because even after the genie announcement I think but price increases will come next year and a lot of the perks of the new key program will go away. So maybe 2022 will see me now out or maybe 2023. Let's hope they are not as successful as they're ant to be and have to try something else.

It's ironic to me that Genie sounds so much like what Magic Band was supposed to be but couldn't deliver. Now that you supply your own device and it's software they can get real time data to and from you even better than before. Tracking you and trying to get you to slower parts of the park, or restaurant, so they can maximize revenue (or justify ops spending).

As for genie+ I will probably use it on the most busy of days when my guests are in town. That's how I used Maxpass with the old passes. I never made it part of my pass but would include it on busy days to save walk time.

I have heard that Paris' experiment so far is unsuccessful but they are still under limited capacity. It was thought that Disney would wait a year or so before US rollout. I guess their revenue targets are not what they thought so they are pushing it.

And in a sign that parks and resorts team at corporate is moving faster and not communicating to other groups - they just put up a webslingers fastpass sign this past June when AC opened. This fall no more fastpass. I guess the memo of plans was not widely shared...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Yet for some reason Disney thinks we need more tech in the parks not less. I know I would prefer less myself.
    Definitely agree with this; my hubby doesn't have data on his phone, so no app. He even hates to text (he's not as old as he sounds...LOL!), so how would this help him out if I wasn't with him to use the app on MY phone?
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I paid the extra for MaxPass with my Deluxe AP, because it was worth the $$ for me to limit my mobility around the park and manage them in the app. I would like to see it offered as a one-price add-on to the Keys if it's not too pricey!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Blog Entries
    Well I think THIS is going too far:

"Great news! Boma is re-opening for you on August 20 and will be better than ever! We at Disney have heard what our guests are telling us and they no longer want to wait in long lines to get individual items at buffets. So you'll soon be able to enter into your smart phone what food items you want most into Genie+ plus and we'll do the thinking for you! Do you like carbs? Then expect a magical seaweed pancake or some fresh pumpkin spice french toast to appear on your family-style platter! Prefer protein, well get ready for some octopus and spicy chicken wings on your plate!

For guests who don't want to wait for their favorite items, there will be two tiers of our finest foods you'll be able to access more easily! And with Lightning Lane (only $10 per person!), they'll be able to go right up to the counter and select from some of over a dozen of our nearly most popular items. But what if you REALLY want Zebra Domes? If this is what you really desire and you want it now, you'll be able to simply go to Genie+ and tell our magical food delivery fairies that this is what you desire and for just $6 per item we'll make your culinary dreams come true! We've been listening and we know that this is what you want without all the waiting for individual buffet items, free parking at resorts, free airport transportation, and confusing new e-ticket attractions at each park every year. TTFN!"

I am in the minority, I like this feature. Disney's greatest strength is the ability to move people and I this this in particular could be used to do just that. Nieces and nephew are in town next week and nephew REALLY wants to do ROTR. We can't make the trip, but BIL is getting a guide to guarantee this will happen. $20per person is a lot cheaper than the guide. A LOT.

In the past I have offered a guide to DD on her trips with friends. She has always said no. She likes the lines with her friends. For her that's the point, the hang out. But ROTR and Webslingers being virtual queue and the ability to only ride one or there other each day (taking away the ability to choose to wait several hours, if you were willing), the only way she and her friends could ride both is if they had a guide. If I could pay $20 per person and they could ride both, that would be awesome.

Yes, I understand the argument that it gives more access to people who can afford to pay, but that is happening anyway. That's why people get guides. I would argue that more people can pay $20 per person to ride ROTR than can drop $3500 extra to get a guide.

Yes, I know... we have no idea which rides will be LL.

Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't

High School here she comes!

Eh, I am not on one extreme or the other on this. Hoping its an option to add on to a Magic Key in the future. I also think $15-$20 per person is negligible when spending as much on tickets as I already would be. But with all of this, I will be watching to see how everything plays out before making a decision.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my only concern with Genie (not Genie+) is the difference between the implied benefit of service (guide you to shorter lines, more food options, specials) to guests vs what I really think it may become which is "go this way because we want you to and it promotes more possible sales and benefits our operations). With the way Chapek has spoken about the changes benefiting the company, and no real focus on guest benefit, then all I can believe for now is the D'Amaro comments about guest benefit should be done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Also - since the Individuals Ride Selection prices will be variable and demand-based I can only imagine that ROTR pricing will be more like $40 per person for 1 ride - and thats independent of the Genie+ fee. Genie+ does nothing for you as far as virtual queue.

I will use Genie+ on days when friends are in town and we plan to spend the entire day at the park. Otherwise its standby for the few rides I may ride when I visit.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I'm not using any of these services, as I am simply driving and waiting. We live too far away to drop off, stuff happens and I don't want to be stuck in traffic trying to get back to Anaheim. DD might find value in Genie, Genie +, I am curious to see if she uses them. I know she will love LL. When there were fast passes, I was her Genie (arranging fastpasses, watching line times). The trips this year, I did not see or hear from her until she hopped. It was weird and I gotta say, not all that fun. I used to be part of the experience, now I am not.

Wow, that got sad.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by june1st1997 View Post
    I'm not using any of these services, as I am simply driving and waiting. We live too far away to drop off, stuff happens and I don't want to be stuck in traffic trying to get back to Anaheim. DD might find value in Genie, Genie +, I am curious to see if she uses them. I know she will love LL. When there were fast passes, I was her Genie (arranging fastpasses, watching line times). The trips this year, I did not see or hear from her until she hopped. It was weird and I gotta say, not all that fun. I used to be part of the experience, now I am not.

Wow, that got sad.
    Hugs, june1st. DS13 has had a couple of trips recently with a friend and we didn't hear from them until they wanted to hop, so I feel ya. He's figured out the app and how to make it work for him. I think he doesn't mind lines either cuz they get to hang out, and no Mom & Dad hanging around. DH and I are easing into the new role. It's ok, weird, definitely. Still gonna take some getting used to, but being able to go on attractions DS13 won't (Incredicoaster) and walking slowly rather than rushing from place to place, we're ok.

Hugs.
    Karin

Does anyone remember having a fast pass to toy story midway mania and seeing the standby line being over 100 minutes, and thinking why would these people wait in line when they can get a free fast pass? Well now that line of people will be all the people who cannot afford to spend whatever the cost is for the Genie Plus. This seems frustrating and aggravating, but if I want to take my kids who are both under 12 and still in their prime Disneyland going years, I'm going to have to pay for the genie plus. I never used the Max pass because my kids were too young to go on many of the rides where you want a fast pass and they didn't like pictures with characters. Due to their not being able to get vaccinated yet, we're still waiting and observing, but it just seems like once we go we'll be forced to pay for the Genie plus or be stuck in 2 hour lines. I should consider myself lucky that I can afford to pay for it, but I really feel like it's very unfair to people who work really hard to go to Disneyland for a once in a lifetime trip and they're stuck waiting in lines all day, while other people just pay money to skip the line. I've seen this at Legoland and I didn't feel it was worth paying for because most of their lines aren't that long because it's just not as poplar as Disneyland. So I guess count me in the list of people who will be complaining, but will probably end up paying for it because there's only that or the option of waiting forever. I'm also wondering where's the sweet spot of paying extra and not waiting too long, because if too many people pay for the genie plus, won't they be limited in the attractions they can skip or end up waiting in a line of people who just paid extra? A supply and demand kind of quandry.

Quote Originally Posted by jswtsang View Post
    Does anyone remember having a fast pass to toy story midway mania and seeing the standby line being over 100 minutes, and thinking why would these people wait in line when they can get a free fast pass? Well now that line of people will be all the people who cannot afford to spend whatever the cost is for the Genie Plus. This seems frustrating and aggravating, but if I want to take my kids who are both under 12 and still in their prime Disneyland going years, I'm going to have to pay for the genie plus. I never used the Max pass because my kids were too young to go on many of the rides where you want a fast pass and they didn't like pictures with characters. Due to their not being able to get vaccinated yet, we're still waiting and observing, but it just seems like once we go we'll be forced to pay for the Genie plus or be stuck in 2 hour lines. I should consider myself lucky that I can afford to pay for it, but I really feel like it's very unfair to people who work really hard to go to Disneyland for a once in a lifetime trip and they're stuck waiting in lines all day, while other people just pay money to skip the line. I've seen this at Legoland and I didn't feel it was worth paying for because most of their lines aren't that long because it's just not as poplar as Disneyland. So I guess count me in the list of people who will be complaining, but will probably end up paying for it because there's only that or the option of waiting forever. I'm also wondering where's the sweet spot of paying extra and not waiting too long, because if too many people pay for the genie plus, won't they be limited in the attractions they can skip or end up waiting in a line of people who just paid extra? A supply and demand kind of quandry.

I'm curious to see if you are right about line lengths. I am curious to see if all these new changes impacts people's desire to visit the park.