Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Magic Key program

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Disneyland Magic Key program

If you didnt get the email to Legacy Passholders (like I didn't) then to let you know the new Disneyland Frequent Visitor Program - Magic Key - was announced today with details coming tomorrow at 1pm. I don't know if that will be in email or on a website.

As a reminder - Bob Chapek said back in May 2021 that "we haven't even scratched the surface on profitability for our frequent visitor program" The name reminds me of old "Magic Kingdom Club" discount program they used to offer to large companies when I was a kid and tickets in the book were called "Magic Key Tickets"

EDIT - a twitter user, @hastin, had an interesting take on the program. He's done parks reviews for a while. I dont know if it would be this complicated but it sounds right.
    https://twitter.com/hastin/status/14...586580996?s=19

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

I think at this point we all just hope its something that works for any of us, isn't going to cost every limb and organ we have and is not over the top complicated to understand. I know I've seen some guesses around on things and won't even bother with that. So will be one of those looking for the info tomorrow afternoon.

Oh and as usual, did NOT get the email either. SMH

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I think at this point we all just hope its something that works for any of us, isn't going to cost every limb and organ we have and is not over the top complicated to understand. I know I've seen some guesses around on things and won't even bother with that. So will be one of those looking for the info tomorrow afternoon.

Oh and as usual, did NOT get the email either. SMH
    THIS, so much this. I'll be looking for the info tomorrow too, and also no email for me...

I got the email (lucky me!) and will now wait until the details actually emerge. I don't know if it's "the older I get" or "Post-COVID anxiety" but I really hope that the program is not so popular that it goes back to the pre-shutdown crowd levels. it had stopped being fun on any weekend day when So Cal passholders could go.

I loved my dad's Magic Kingdom Club membership when I was a kid. There have been several comments by Disney higher-ups that have reminded me of that program. I guess we will all find out tomorrow.

ETA: Did anyone else notice that it says "no earlier than 1pm PST". I wonder if that was a typo or if they actually meant Pacific Standard Time (in which case we will all be disappointed for "no earlier than" 1 extra hour)

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I got the email (lucky me!) and will now wait until the details actually emerge. I don't know if it's "the older I get" or "Post-COVID anxiety" but I really hope that the program is not so popular that it goes back to the pre-shutdown crowd levels. it had stopped being fun on any weekend day when So Cal passholders could go.

I loved my dad's Magic Kingdom Club membership when I was a kid. There have been several comments by Disney higher-ups that have reminded me of that program. I guess we will all find out tomorrow.

ETA: Did anyone else notice that it says "no earlier than 1pm PST". I wonder if that was a typo or if they actually meant Pacific Standard Time (in which case we will all be disappointed for "no earlier than" 1 extra hour)
    I think at the end of the day Disney doesn't care about crowds. Look at WDW at this point and spots in DL since reopening. What kills me is the large gathering of people for fireworks and more so right now. *shudders*

We had no issues though before covid with finding times on any day we went that wasn't crazy and realized what times were worse than others. Of course we had times we went and it wasn't what we expected crowd wise one way or the other. If it was one of those worse than expected we just left. That was easy to do though as an AP. I do wish they would stop with the "unofficial" themed days though and letting those continue. They are some of the worse times one could go during. I noticed those 2 still around are pushing their fall gatherings in DL. SMH I know with reservations they can keep capacity to whatever they please but at the same time it also means they could up it to the point its just like before covid capacity. With this lot we have running things we have no clue how they will end up treating things day by day it seems.

Yes I noticed the "no earlier than 1pm PST". An odd way to do things I thought. So it won't be before 1pm I take it but could be hours after 1pm even. LOL With PST that would be Pacific Standard Time and makes sense for that since its is about Disneyland.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

LOL With PST that would be Pacific Standard Time and makes sense for that since its is about Disneyland.
    Oh, I know what PST means, and if this release was scheduled to occur anytime between the first Sunday in November through the second Sunday in March, then would be appropriate. But since we are currently in PDT (Pacific Daylight Time), if the hold the announcement until PST we will all be waiting until 2pm or later.

Oh, I know what PST means, and if this release was scheduled to occur anytime between the first Sunday in November through the second Sunday in March, then would be appropriate. But since we are currently in PDT (Pacific Daylight Time), if the hold the announcement until PST we will all be waiting until 2pm or later.
    I will say that I never see anyone ever list it though as PDT. I always see PST. Yet I think with how they worded it that we could be waiting that hour or longer if they wanted as well. We just know it won't be before 1pm. Its seriously an odd way of putting that info out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    If you didnt get the email to Legacy Passholders (like I didn't) then to let you know the new Disneyland Frequent Visitor Program - Magic Key - was announced today with details coming tomorrow at 1pm. I don't know if that will be in email or on a website.

As a reminder - Bob Chapek said back in May 2021 that "we haven't even scratched the surface on profitability for our frequent visitor program" The name reminds me of old "Magic Kingdom Club" discount program they used to offer to large companies when I was a kid and tickets in the book were called "Magic Key Tickets"

EDIT - a twitter user, @hastin, had an interesting take on the program. He's done parks reviews for a while. I dont know if it would be this complicated but it sounds right.
    https://twitter.com/hastin/status/14...586580996?s=19
    The timing makes me think that they are waiting for the stock market to close for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ttig34 View Post
    The timing makes me think that they are waiting for the stock market to close for the day.
    Likely?

I am also curious if this is "counter-programing" to Olympics since that's on NBC, or an effort to minimize the mainstream media's attention.

Blog Entries

I dont think Disney cares so much about conflicts with Olympic coverage. They'll get the coverage they want from local news and influencers (i know even KNX newsradio will cover the announcement). Its definitely all about the stock market. This way they minimize impact to trading on US exchanges until overnight when things would calm down and they (Disney) can answer more questions.

Of course what Wall Street wants to hear as how high the prices are so that Disney can make a profit. Sometimes in these announcements they forget about the ability for the program to be popular for the largest segment of the market and go with outliers who will spend anything. Short term it sounds awesome (like "our most loyal fans will pay anyt... er, um, will continue their Disney lifestyle") but long term will it be popular.

A few years ago when the big price hike went into place with APs there was a lengthy discussion on these boards about what was fair and right. Many were siding with Disney and the thought that fewer APS = less crowds. Lets let that lower riff-raff be relegated to the non-popular days. (hey, I pay full price every year for a Sig but Im sensitive to all guests). Others like me said that it was a mistake - that it would continue in this fashion where only guests with the most money to spend (or willing to go into significant debt) will be able to partake in the future Disneyland because each new thing will have a price tag. Naysayers claimed that its no big deal for a few price hikes but the writing was on the wall. Now? everything is an extra fee, or a reservation, or limited. Unless you want to spend extra (hey, if I pay for a private tour I get on ROTR without needing a queue spot!). And crowds abound with absolutely no APs in sight.

Since the rest of the park's offerings are going in that direction I can only assume that this loyalty program will do the same. Maybe it will be a pass for entry into the park - but there will be a lot of gates attached to it. My biggest complaint is that parking wont be an add-on to lower passes. You have to buy the most expensive one to get it. Looks like im parking north of the Parks. Hope the trams come back someday...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Seeing one site that put up rumors on the new program/pass. Here is what was posted as rumor...not sure if I can link the site or not but I can imagine some of you have seen it as well maybe. If this is the case not sure how much different it is aside from reservations from APs and how many one can hold. Remember this is rumored at this time.

Dream Key $1399
    The Dream Key is the highest tier and the only tier that includes parking. In addition, the Dream Key will include 6 reservations at a time, booked 90 days in advance. There will be 20% off of merchandise in this tier and 15% off select food and beverages. There will be no block out dates for the Dream Key, but reservations may be unavailable based on crowds and reservations are required for entry.

Believe Key $949
    The Believe Key is the second-highest tier and includes 50% off of theme park parking. The Believe Key will include 10% off of merchandise and 10% off of select food and beverages. The Believe Key will include 6 reservations at a time. There will be blockout dates on some days of the year.

Enchant Key $699
    The Enchant Key is the second-lowest tier and includes up to four theme park reservations at a time. The Enchant Key will include 10% off of food, beverages, and merchandise. There will be more blockouts than the Believe Key.

Imagine Key $399
    The Imagine Key is the lowest tier pass and will allow Magic Key holders to hold up to 2 theme park reservations at a time. Just like the Enchnant and Imagine Keys, the Imagine Key will include 10% discounts.

Blog Entries

well if this becomes truth then FreshBaked and others were right - its still a passholder program and my guesses were wrong.

Big question is park hopping. and what happened to other things in the survey? I wonder. So if these prices hold then Dream Key is less than Sig Plus pass was? I know Sig was 1149. and deluxe was 849 or something like that.

if there are no payment plans then this may be a big change too - though the hints were strong that payment plans would be part of this. I also wonder about blockout dates. "Some dates" seems light based on what previous passes were.

EDIT - what happens if you miss your reservation? old flex pass was blocked for 30 days.

The details of the pass management is key here (get it, key, get it)

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    well if this becomes truth then FreshBaked and others were right - its still a passholder program and my guesses were wrong.

Big question is park hopping. and what happened to other things in the survey? I wonder. So if these prices hold then Dream Key is less than Sig Plus pass was? I know Sig was 1149. and deluxe was 849 or something like that.

if there are no payment plans then this may be a big change too - though the hints were strong that payment plans would be part of this. I also wonder about blockout dates. "Some dates" seems light based on what previous passes were.

EDIT - what happens if you miss your reservation? old flex pass was blocked for 30 days.

The details of the pass management is key here (get it, key, get it)
    LOL Yes lots of questions for sure if this is what is coming. Some are guessing park hopping will be included and how the parks will stick with the no hopping until 1pm. Which I can see happening no matter how one gets in the parks. I was wondering about if they would keep payment plan or not because as you said with what Disney has mentioned. I can imagine that if one doesn't cancel it will be similar to how Flex was. The one thing not part of that so far is Maxpass/Fastpass. We have no clue still what is going on there or if we will even see that as it was. Saw the pricing on the rides that Disneyland Paris has with their no pay per ride FP thing and it was crazy IMO.

Hopefully we will see answers to all the questions left at this time...if this is what is happening.

Its up now and looks like that was it. Reading it over more myself at this point. Goes on sale Aug 25th

The blog has more as well on it.

I see CA residents will have payment plan options and Imagine Key (lowest priced option) is only for Southern California residents.

The push by them for people to "become the first" For a limited time, we will celebrate the charter members that become Magic Key holders within the first 66 days (as we celebrate 66 years of Disneyland Resort). These guests will receive a special welcome package that will include unique items such as a premium branded pin, celebratory button, magnet, and more

And if you get your "key" the day they go on sale and if you can snag a reservation you can go in the parks as well.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

So how exactly is this not an AP???

Karin

My big question (and probably others) is, if I have already purchased a park hopper and made a reservation for October will I be able to roll those funds over into a "Key" deposit when I visit in October?

My only issue is parking on the 2nd highest tier. If parking stays at $25 the point where it costs less to go up a tier is 37 visits. I'm probably not going to be a weekly visitor again for a long time, if ever, so that is fine. I just don't want to be bothering having $12.50 or a credit card out every time I go. If I could buy 10 parking days at a time I'd rather do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    There's part where they don't have to allow the same number of park reservations per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    I have no clue. It seems like they decided to name change the AP program so they could just make it reservation style like the Flex was. Otherwise I don't see how its different myself outside reservations and nothing with maxpass (or photopass?). I'm a little surprised it wasn't something different and doesn't cost a ton more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiedust58 View Post
    My big question (and probably others) is, if I have already purchased a park hopper and made a reservation for October will I be able to roll those funds over into a "Key" deposit when I visit in October?
    I am not sure. I know I see many others asking this question as well. I know the California resident deal said no upgrading it so that obviously is not going to be allowed but no clue on other tickets. I can only guess that as long as it doesn't say no upgrading that it could be???

Editing this reply to the link to where it does say its allowed for upgrades.
    UPGRADES: A Guest wishing to upgrade to a Pass from another form of eligible Disneyland Resort theme park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of theme park admission media is valid, and must choose a Pass of equal or greater value than the retail price of the original theme park admission media when it was purchased. The difference in prices must be paid in full at the time of the upgrade. If an upgrade to a Pass is made from a multi-day ticket, the Pass will be backdated to begin on the first day that such ticket was used; if an upgrade to a Pass is made from a lower level Pass, the new Pass will have the same expiration date as the original Pass. Each guest wishing to upgrade their theme park admission media to a Pass must be present at the time of the upgrade transaction. Fully used, or partially used and expired, theme park admission media, complimentary ticket media, special event ticket media and ticket media stating its ineligibility for an upgrade may not be upgraded to a Pass. Upgrades are subject to Pass availability. Downgrades are not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    My only issue is parking on the 2nd highest tier. If parking stays at $25 the point where it costs less to go up a tier is 37 visits. I'm probably not going to be a weekly visitor again for a long time, if ever, so that is fine. I just don't want to be bothering having $12.50 or a credit card out every time I go. If I could buy 10 parking days at a time I'd rather do that.
    You know that isn't a bad idea to offer for those on that tier. Or at the very least let you pay from home before going and just show the CM your receipt.

This is great though how it is. My husband couldn't go with us in June since he can't handle a full day in the parks and now he can go with us.

Will be interesting to see how the reservation system with each tier books up or not though.

I have no clue. It seems like they decided to name change the AP program so they could just make it reservation style like the Flex was. Otherwise I don't see how its different myself outside reservations and nothing with maxpass (or photopass?). I'm a little surprised it wasn't something different and doesn't cost a ton more.
    Also it now has "fun" names so they can adjust the tiers without sounding stupid. Because Regular + Premium made sense, and then So Cal + Deluxe + Premium. Then Signature, and Signature plus. And Flex was somewhat self explanatory. But now they aren't tied to having to match tiers with premium sounding names. Which is something that they probably should have done a long time ago. But when they said that they were using this time to completely overhaul the broken AP system, I'll admit I was thinking of something a bit more than this.

[QUOTE=Berry Princess;2043363]I am not sure. I know I see many others asking this question as well. I know the California resident deal said no upgrading it so that obviously is not going to be allowed but no clue on other tickets. I can only guess that as long as it doesn't say no upgrading that it could be???

Editing this reply to the link to where it does say its allowed for upgrades.
    UPGRADES: A Guest wishing to upgrade to a Pass from another form of eligible Disneyland Resort theme park admission media must upgrade on the same day in which the original form of theme park admission media is valid, and must choose a Pass of equal or greater value than the retail price of the original theme park admission media when it was purchased. The difference in prices must be paid in full at the time of the upgrade. If an upgrade to a Pass is made from a multi-day ticket, the Pass will be backdated to begin on the first day that such ticket was used; if an upgrade to a Pass is made from a lower level Pass, the new Pass will have the same expiration date as the original Pass. Each guest wishing to upgrade their theme park admission media to a Pass must be present at the time of the upgrade transaction. Fully used, or partially used and expired, theme park admission media, complimentary ticket media, special event ticket media and ticket media stating its ineligibility for an upgrade may not be upgraded to a Pass. Upgrades are subject to Pass availability. Downgrades are not allowed.

Unless I'm wrong this sounds exactly as it was in the AP years. I feel much better knowing I can roll that ticket into a pass er key. Thanks for the info!

Also it now has "fun" names so they can adjust the tiers without sounding stupid. Because Regular + Premium made sense, and then So Cal + Deluxe + Premium. Then Signature, and Signature plus. And Flex was somewhat self explanatory. But now they aren't tied to having to match tiers with premium sounding names. Which is something that they probably should have done a long time ago. But when they said that they were using this time to completely overhaul the broken AP system, I'll admit I was thinking of something a bit more than this.
    LOL about the names. Yes I think we all assumed with how Disney was talking that we would have seen something totally different from this. I'm not complaining though about it other than it sounds like they want us to use the app for our "key" to get in with being able to request a paper pass. I am not to keen on this considering that is swiping for each of us but also hoping the app doesn't glitch before or during it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiedust58 View Post
    Unless I'm wrong this sounds exactly as it was in the AP years. I feel much better knowing I can roll that ticket into a pass er key. Thanks for the info!
    Yes it does and you are welcome.

Blog Entries

yes - its a passholder type program - but I think by offering a lot of extra perks in there that were not there before (at least at time of program termination) they make it sound like its something new and exciting. My guess is the honeymoon will be 2 years at most and you will again start to see the perks going away. The extra lounge in Disneyland, free stuff, events. Anything that is at no cost will be gone in 2 years. That Month of Magic Key will most likely be special food and merch just for keyholders (see thats the new name that they probably dont want) so again you are buying stuff.

It really is the previous passes with price, reservation, and blackout changes. Sig Plus, deluxe, Flex, and So cal Select. no maxpass or photopass on the keys either (my guess is in 2 months they'll announce a program similar to DisneylandParis' Fast Lane. ).

My suggestion is if you can afford it and can visit often in the next year to get the Dream key because it will offer the most perks (extras) that may go away. It wasnt clear from all of the information whether certain items are only available to certain key members. I thought the unofficial poll on MiceChat was interesting - and bodes for more price increases. 31% of 2100 voters said they would buy the Dream key. 16 believe, 22 enchant, and 18 imagine. 13% said they'd buy nothing. some even commenting they get all the value and choice today by buying a regular ticket and buying whatever food or drink they want. As I stated in another thread - more power to those that have disposable income.

It sounds like they want us to use the app for our "key" to get in with being able to request a paper pass. I am not to keen on this considering that is swiping for each of us but also hoping the app doesn't glitch before or during it.
    I know there was a cost for a replacement physical pass in the past, it seems like now that cost starts with physical pass #1. If anyone is concerned about the pass glitching or using too much battery, our solution has always been to take a screenshot of the pass page and use that instead.

Personally - I love the digital aspect of the passes. When we were last their (on tickets) it was nice that whichever parent was in front could have them scan all the tickets through and not worry about whether irresponsible little people would drop/lose their tickets (which was more of a concern in the physical fastpass days and when the kids were younger).