Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Magic Key program

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    This is happening to a lot of people. I'm not sure how some got it to show back up but it did or would show on the app in their SO's phone still. Its still in there in your account, just for some reason it seems to do this. This IMO is why we still needed to have cards. To many glitches in the app. Yes we can all screenshot our passes but we shouldn't have to do this stuff really. For all the money Disney makes I will never understand why they don't have better tech. SMH
    i tried the app and online. nothing.

EDIT

i found my receipt - which led me to print ticket. I got the ID number off of that ticket - and re-entered it into the app. It didnt kick me out - and accepted it. and now with a day EVEN EARLIER than the mistaken day before. So somehow my pass wasnt still there in the account. My guess is they tried to fix my date (from the 17th to the 25th) and then screwed up, cut me off, and didnt correct it. its the only explanation I can think of.

Im afraid to touch it now and get it truly fixed.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    What did they decide not to allow?
    Upgrading a wholly unused ticket to a Magic Key either online or via the app; it can only be done in person at the booths from what I've read IF they haven't been scanned into a park yet.
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Pammer View Post
    Upgrading a wholly unused ticket to a Magic Key either online or via the app; it can only be done in person at the booths from what I've read IF they haven't been scanned into a park yet.
    Yup - and apparently there is also a DVC discount that can only be done at the ticket booth as well. So it would seem that a trip to the ticket booth is in my future.

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Yup - and apparently there is also a DVC discount that can only be done at the ticket booth as well. So it would seem that a trip to the ticket booth is in my future.
    What a pain!
    Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

So do WDW annual passholders get a card and we don't? What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rte48 View Post
    This. My youngest wants a card. Also a card would have been easier when my app decided to dump my passes out this morning while trying to get a boarding group. Whistler had the screenshot I had sent him of his. I had to go into my email and download mine to re-ad it.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    This. My youngest wants a card. Also a card would have been easier when my app decided to dump my passes out this morning while trying to get a boarding group. Whistler had the screenshot I had sent him of his. I had to go into my email and download mine to re-ad it.
    The only option is to pay $20 for each one and its just like the paper tickets you get for a day or multi day ticket. I don't know what Disney was thinking in this area when the app has so many issues. Sorry it you had them dumped while trying to get a boarding group. If you didn't let them know it happened, make sure you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rte48 View Post
    Which is odd how it is since don't they have the option of using a magic band besides the app? Or apple watch? While here its the app or pay for the paper ticket. Which I guess if you have a laminator you could laminate the card to make it last. LOL No matter what nothing makes sense when it comes how this is set up. SMH
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I've been reading and hearing about too many Keys disappearing from the app. We have photos of our Keys on our phones as a safety precaution. Also, we printed the photos on card stock. Now have them in our old AP card holders, ready to go, for our next visit. Yes, I would much prefer an AP card, like before, but this will have to do for now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    I've been reading and hearing about too many Keys disappearing from the app. We have photos of our Keys on our phones as a safety precaution. Also, we printed the photos on card stock. Now have them in our old AP card holders, ready to go, for our next visit. Yes, I would much prefer an AP card, like before, but this will have to do for now.
    ooh. printing on card stock and not paying $20 for a ticket at the parks. Genius.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Just a heads up on doing that, its possible Disney might not accept it. I've seen some that have had issues with Disney not taking screenshots even when the app is not showing the passes and having its issues. So it seems for right now things are hit and miss on when this stuff might be accepted. I just know that the amount of issues with app and passes is NOT acceptable. Mix in how Disney didn't even plan well when it comes to giving you the discount at places like Blue Bayou. Its either you have to walk over with the CM to have them scan your phone or allow them to take it over to scan. Which there is no way I would let the CM take my phone. Especially seeing how there have been times that CMs forgot the guests phone. SMH There really is no excuse in why they couldn't have given a plastic card like we had before. Especially if those in WDW are still getting one when the passes are sold again.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Just to be sure I understand what I've read along the way on this thread - if I buy a Key today and don't go to DL and activate it til this Sat., will my renewal date be 9/6/22 or 9/10/22?

Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Just to be sure I understand what I've read along the way on this thread - if I buy a Key today and don't go to DL and activate it til this Sat., will my renewal date be 9/6/22 or 9/10/22?

The day you first use it would be your date. So if that was the first day you were to use it in the parks on Sat then it would be that date. If you are buying the Dream pass remember that using the parking on it will trigger that pass to start that day so you will want to make sure its a day you are going in the parks for sure.

Which BTW, right now this weekend is booked Sat and Sun for passes. If you are by chance looking at this weekend keep checking it since there could be changes that happen up until the last minute.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    The day you first use it would be your date. So if that was the first day you were to use it in the parks on Sat then it would be that date. If you are buying the Dream pass remember that using the parking on it will trigger that pass to start that day so you will want to make sure its a day you are going in the parks for sure.

Which BTW, right now this weekend is booked Sat and Sun for passes. If you are by chance looking at this weekend keep checking it since there could be changes that happen up until the last minute.
    Thanks, BP. Drat about this weekend. Is there a way to look at the park reservations prior to buying a Key so we know when we should buy it?
    Karin

Thanks, BP. Drat about this weekend. Is there a way to look at the park reservations prior to buying a Key so we know when we should buy it?
    This is the one I glance at from time to time. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ava...aultSegment=ap and looks like Sunday is open again for now.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    This is the one I glance at from time to time. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/ava...aultSegment=ap and looks like Sunday is open again for now.
    Thanks, BP!
    Karin

Thanks, BP!
    You're welcome, Karin!

Blog Entries

I guess when u fail - you should fail big...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Oh that is a shame olegc.

So - things I've learned about buying/upgrading Magic Keys over the weekend.

1) As others have already noted, the "upgrade to a Magic Key pass" button only accepts credit/debit cards for payment. Since I wanted to pay using gift cards, those two tickets had to be upgraded at the ticket booth. There was no problems upgrading them there.
    2) These were tickets that I bought and linked to my account before I set up my parent's account. So even though they are in their names, I was considered the primary. This did not change even after giving Disney the updated email address for the keyholders. I do not have the ability to delete these passes from my account.
    3) Because they are not upgradeable, I was told that we could not apply the monetary value of a wholly unused CA ticket towards an annual pass. The ticket booth instead recommended requesting a refund for that ticket. I didn't think that Disney gave refunds for tickets?
    4) We were told twice at the ticket booth that anyone could use a ticket regardless of the name listed, as long as the same person used the ticket for all days and the photo matched, and they did not offer any way to change the name on a wholly unused ticket once assigned. We were also told that the name could be changed when the ticket was upgraded to a pass.
    5) When we actually went to upgrade said ticket to a pass, we were able to get a printed key (a $20 value!) that had the correct name, but the app still listed the name that was originally assigned to the ticket. The ticket booth said that we needed to call to get that fixed.
    6) When I called to try to get that fixed, the first thing that customer care told me was that this was something that had to be done at the ticket booth. After I explained the above, they then put me on hold to try to figure out how to implement the fix. If you need to call to do this, allow all day. I ultimately had to hang up because I had a meeting that was about to start. The 2 hours that I had allocated was not enough. Most of the wait time was after I had explained what I needed. I was far enough along in this process that they were able to finish fixing it without me and when I checked back later in the day the correct name was listed. When I hung up it was still incorrect and I had decided to give it a day or two before I called again. But I did feel bad hanging up while someone was actively trying to help me and I would have liked to know what the fix required in case I need to do it again.
    7) There is the nominal DVC discount, which I was able to apply at the ticket booth with no problem.
    8) The one ticket purchased which has not yet been activated does not currently have an expiration date listed. I'm still holding my breath waiting for it to apply correctly once used.

Blog Entries

Thanks currence. Thats very detailed. I wanted to pass along that I got my start date for my Key fixed at the ticket booth - and the CM gave me a printed copy of my key FOR FREE. He said it was in case my phone isnt working I can use the ticket. he did warn me not to laminate it. Interesting..

and currence - as to your number 4 - I had a slightly different but interesting experience with this. I think I mentioned it before in this thread but it had to do with the fact that I bought a child's ticket by mistake, I was let into the park with it no comments, but when I park hopped I kept getting asked for ID and finally was told I cant use the ticket. It got resolved with the help of an awesome lead and someone at the ticket booth to sell me the "upgrade" to an adult ticket - but the fact that I got in the gate the first time with a childs ticket was pretty crazy for Disney.

We also got the warning to not laminate. I believe that they are using thermal printers, which would turn the entire ticket black if it gets re-heated. So in addition to not laminating, you also should probably not expose it to extreme heat (i.e. leave it in the car in summer).

I can also add 9) All of the reservations I made before the online name change were still in the old name. I was able to delete most of the reservations and make new ones for the same date, which are now in the correct name. There is one upcoming reservation which is no longer available - so I'm not risking trying to make any changes to that one. Hopefully we won't have any problems and from then on we should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    So - things I've learned about buying/upgrading Magic Keys over the weekend.

1) As others have already noted, the "upgrade to a Magic Key pass" button only accepts credit/debit cards for payment. Since I wanted to pay using gift cards, those two tickets had to be upgraded at the ticket booth. There was no problems upgrading them there.
    2) These were tickets that I bought and linked to my account before I set up my parent's account. So even though they are in their names, I was considered the primary. This did not change even after giving Disney the updated email address for the keyholders. I do not have the ability to delete these passes from my account.
    3) Because they are not upgradeable, I was told that we could not apply the monetary value of a wholly unused CA ticket towards an annual pass. The ticket booth instead recommended requesting a refund for that ticket. I didn't think that Disney gave refunds for tickets?
    4) We were told twice at the ticket booth that anyone could use a ticket regardless of the name listed, as long as the same person used the ticket for all days and the photo matched, and they did not offer any way to change the name on a wholly unused ticket once assigned. We were also told that the name could be changed when the ticket was upgraded to a pass.
    5) When we actually went to upgrade said ticket to a pass, we were able to get a printed key (a $20 value!) that had the correct name, but the app still listed the name that was originally assigned to the ticket. The ticket booth said that we needed to call to get that fixed.
    6) When I called to try to get that fixed, the first thing that customer care told me was that this was something that had to be done at the ticket booth. After I explained the above, they then put me on hold to try to figure out how to implement the fix. If you need to call to do this, allow all day. I ultimately had to hang up because I had a meeting that was about to start. The 2 hours that I had allocated was not enough. Most of the wait time was after I had explained what I needed. I was far enough along in this process that they were able to finish fixing it without me and when I checked back later in the day the correct name was listed. When I hung up it was still incorrect and I had decided to give it a day or two before I called again. But I did feel bad hanging up while someone was actively trying to help me and I would have liked to know what the fix required in case I need to do it again.
    7) There is the nominal DVC discount, which I was able to apply at the ticket booth with no problem.
    8) The one ticket purchased which has not yet been activated does not currently have an expiration date listed. I'm still holding my breath waiting for it to apply correctly once used.
    Disney posted (on FB?) a workaround for "upgrading" unused SoCal discount tickets to Magic Keys. You need to let the ticket expire (9/30/21), then take it to the ticket booth to apply the value to a higher priced ticket (which should be upgradeable). Then activate that new ticket at the gates and upgrade it to a Magic Key using the app.
    And Disney does refund tickets on a case by case basis. It isn't super common, but it does happen. After buying our Keys, we got our unused, regular tickets refunded at the ticket booth.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Thanks currence. Thats very detailed. I wanted to pass along that I got my start date for my Key fixed at the ticket booth - and the CM gave me a printed copy of my key FOR FREE. He said it was in case my phone isnt working I can use the ticket. he did warn me not to laminate it. Interesting...
    The ticket booths have been giving the paper tickets for the Magic Keys for free for at least 2 weeks now. We got ours without any problems or questions asked. As currence posted, laminating the tickets will turn them black. Some people are using clear packing tape or contact paper to "laminate" their paper tickets. We have ours in a badge holder on a reel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    The ticket booths have been giving the paper tickets for the Magic Keys for free for at least 2 weeks now. We got ours without any problems or questions asked. As currence posted, laminating the tickets will turn them black. Some people are using clear packing tape or contact paper to "laminate" their paper tickets. We have ours in a badge holder on a reel.
    i still have some of those self-sealing laminators. No machine - just two pieces of vinyl that you peel off the glue cover and place it on there. Effective and fits in the wallet.

Reservation Confusion - Help Please

I'm sure someone has already discussed this, but please forgive me for asking again.

I just purchased my "key". I made a reservation for October 21 which shows both DL and DCA available. I want to park hop - I understand the not being able to until after 1:00. But I didn't see an option to choose park hopper, I just had DL all day and DCA all day choices. Do I need to make a reservation for each park? Or as a key holder can you always jump? I chose DCA because I want to start there but what if between now and then DL becomes unavailable?

Thank you!