Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Mission:Space

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Mission:Space

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Mission:Space by Chris Barry

Chris blasts off and takes a close look at what he loves about this modern Epcot classic

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Yep, first time on Orange I didn't puke but sure felt horrible for quite awhile afterward. So no Top Five for this one. I will give you credit though, I might try the Green one. My experience with Orange was so bad that I haven't even gone near that place for a long time. Bleccchhhhh.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Yep, first time on Orange I didn't puke but sure felt horrible for quite awhile afterward. So no Top Five for this one. I will give you credit though, I might try the Green one. My experience with Orange was so bad that I haven't even gone near that place for a long time. Bleccchhhhh.
    Yeah...Bleccchhhh is a pretty common sentiment when it comes to Mission:Space. I get it. It's a shame though, because it's pretty damn cool in that pavilion.

I've been on Mission:Space exactly once, and I was freaking out from the moment the control panel moved into show position. Not that the gravity bothered me, nor the spinning (which I think is by far the problem with most people that get sick). It was the tiny cabin. I'm very claustrophobic, and I couldn't wait for this one to be over. Never again - orange or green.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I've been on Mission:Space exactly once, and I was freaking out from the moment the control panel moved into show position. Not that the gravity bothered me, nor the spinning (which I think is by far the problem with most people that get sick). It was the tiny cabin. I'm very claustrophobic, and I couldn't wait for this one to be over. Never again - orange or green.
    Sure is. I made sure to mention that in the article. It's a remarkably tight space, which adds to the realism, but I'm sure also adds to some people's panic!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I am right there with you Dan. I forgot about that as part of Mission Space. I remember I was at Universal a few years ago and tried to ride the new Harry Potter ride but once they locked me in I said no way Jose get me out of here. I can get big time claustrophobic in a hurry.

I am not a fan of Mission Space. I will only do it when there is no wait and if I have plenty of time at Epcot. I dislike simulator rides and I hate feeling nauseous after Orange Mission. I liked Horizons far more than Mission Space. I wish they kept Gary Sinise in the preshow.

Here are my Top 5:
    5. Astronaut Mickey
    4. Its an original attraction and not based off an intellectual property. I am relieved Star Wars, Marvel, or Pixar hasnt been shoehorned into Mission Space.
    3. The Exterior
    2. Queue Props
    1. Tributes to former attractions like Horizons, Flight to Moon and Mission to Mars

I do enjoy this attraction, even the Orange side (though I agree it's a bit intense - and I never experienced the original back before they dialed it down to what it is now). I take the intensity seriously with others. I took my mom (mid 70's) on Green, as she has been OK with other moderate thrill rides (she's done FoP and even Everest at DAK - though she admitted EE was maybe a bit too much the last time she rode it, even though she didn't feel sick or anything), but I would NEVER suggest she do Orange for Mission Space.

While the Green Earth based ride is nice for the less intense version, I do sort of feel like it cheats people out of the Mars video/experience. I thought it made more sense when both went for the same mission(prior to the renovation), but just less intense on the Green side. Now if you have members of your group who split up, you can't have discussions of what the ride was like (at least not details) if they didn't ride the same side as you did.

As to the top 5:

5) I have never really tried to do any of the activities in the post ride area. I might have to check some of them out now.

4) Astronaut Mickey is cool, agreed! I may have one slightly more favorite "Big Fig" from a special event: I recall a Donald Duck as Darth Maul (in Darth's Mall, of course) back in 2012 when Star Wars Weekends at DHS was themed to Phantom Menace. But even though that may be a more favorite "Big Fig" for me, this Mickey is still pretty darn cool! Also, while I doubt it's the exact same image as the print, there is (or was - can't say if it's still there) a penny press machine with a cool graphic that is very similar to that mural you refer to.

3) Agree on all the early queue items you mentioned. I'm a little conflicted on the Control Room though. That and some of the other decorative details are to the point where they are really not terribly modern at this point in time. While it looks neat as a pre-show element, a modern control room would likely be much more heavily based on multiple computer monitors at each station and you probably would not see a single light up indicator (nor the physical buttons/switches) at any station in today's world.

Even the basic concept of the vehicle being a sort of "souped up" shuttle is now based on something that has not flown in about ten years. If we had continued with some evolution into some other sort of Shuttle type vehicle when the Shuttle program ended, maybe I wouldn't be thinking of this aspect at all. But to many young people, the Shuttle is something out of the history books only at this point, unless they've seen one in a museum. We aren't likely to use a Shuttle type vehicle for space travel at any point in the immediate future, so it's sort of a hard thing to imagine as "this could happen in 20-30 years", as one might have felt when the Shuttle program was still active.

2) Orange - See my opening comments.

1) Love the exterior, and it's really cool when it's lit up at night. Lots of nice little details with factoids in the wall and ground too, IIRC (to the left when you pass the first entry, before you head right for the actual split to the green/orange queues)

-Dave

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbuffmelvin71 View Post
    I am not a fan of Mission Space. I will only do it when there is no wait and if I have plenty of time at Epcot. I dislike simulator rides and I hate feeling nauseous after Orange Mission. I liked Horizons far more than Mission Space. I wish they kept Gary Sinise in the preshow.

Here are my Top 5:
    5. Astronaut Mickey
    4. Its an original attraction and not based off an intellectual property. I am relieved Star Wars, Marvel, or Pixar hasnt been shoehorned into Mission Space.
    3. The Exterior
    2. Queue Props
    1. Tributes to former attractions like Horizons, Flight to Moon and Mission to Mars
    Re: #4 - That is definitely one of the things that I love as well. I love when they take the time to create specifically for the parks. And yes, I'm thrilled that - dare I say, so far - they haven't tried to shoehorn Buzz into Mission:Space.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I do enjoy this attraction, even the Orange side (though I agree it's a bit intense - and I never experienced the original back before they dialed it down to what it is now). I take the intensity seriously with others. I took my mom (mid 70's) on Green, as she has been OK with other moderate thrill rides (she's done FoP and even Everest at DAK - though she admitted EE was maybe a bit too much the last time she rode it, even though she didn't feel sick or anything), but I would NEVER suggest she do Orange for Mission Space.

While the Green Earth based ride is nice for the less intense version, I do sort of feel like it cheats people out of the Mars video/experience. I thought it made more sense when both went for the same mission(prior to the renovation), but just less intense on the Green side. Now if you have members of your group who split up, you can't have discussions of what the ride was like (at least not details) if they didn't ride the same side as you did.

As to the top 5:

5) I have never really tried to do any of the activities in the post ride area. I might have to check some of them out now.

4) Astronaut Mickey is cool, agreed! I may have one slightly more favorite "Big Fig" from a special event: I recall a Donald Duck as Darth Maul (in Darth's Mall, of course) back in 2012 when Star Wars Weekends at DHS was themed to Phantom Menace. But even though that may be a more favorite "Big Fig" for me, this Mickey is still pretty darn cool! Also, while I doubt it's the exact same image as the print, there is (or was - can't say if it's still there) a penny press machine with a cool graphic that is very similar to that mural you refer to.

3) Agree on all the early queue items you mentioned. I'm a little conflicted on the Control Room though. That and some of the other decorative details are to the point where they are really not terribly modern at this point in time. While it looks neat as a pre-show element, a modern control room would likely be much more heavily based on multiple computer monitors at each station and you probably would not see a single light up indicator (nor the physical buttons/switches) at any station in today's world.

Even the basic concept of the vehicle being a sort of "souped up" shuttle is now based on something that has not flown in about ten years. If we had continued with some evolution into some other sort of Shuttle type vehicle when the Shuttle program ended, maybe I wouldn't be thinking of this aspect at all. But to many young people, the Shuttle is something out of the history books only at this point, unless they've seen one in a museum. We aren't likely to use a Shuttle type vehicle for space travel at any point in the immediate future, so it's sort of a hard thing to imagine as "this could happen in 20-30 years", as one might have felt when the Shuttle program was still active.

2) Orange - See my opening comments.

1) Love the exterior, and it's really cool when it's lit up at night. Lots of nice little details with factoids in the wall and ground too, IIRC (to the left when you pass the first entry, before you head right for the actual split to the green/orange queues)
    That's a great point you make about the Space Shuttle. It's hard to believe that kids don't realize what the shuttle is and what it did, but you're right. My students at the high school probably have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    That's a great point you make about the Space Shuttle. It's hard to believe that kids don't realize what the shuttle is and what it did, but you're right. My students at the high school probably have no clue.
    Luckily, there's a real one on display not too far from WDW for anyone wishing to take a break from the parks one day! (Or the Enterprise in NYC at the Intrepid Museum for your students, but I've not personally seen that display. Though I believe it is much more simple than the Atlantis setup at KSC)

The Atlantis display at KSC is quite nice, and you basically get to walk right under it. It's also mounted at an angle so you can see into the cargo bay. The bay doors are open, they even have the robotic arm set up.

There is also a simulator ride, but it's no where near as intense as Mission Space Orange. It's a room similar to Star Tours but I seem to recall the room tilts up more noticeably than Star Tours does.
    -Dave