Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things I Need to See at Disneyland - Revisited

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things I Need to See at Disneyland - Revisited

My Disney Top 5 - Things I Need to See at Disneyland - Revisited by Chris Barry

As Disneyland reopens, Chris takes a look at his top things to see in the classic park...if he ever gets there!

Read it here!

2. # ADS

New Orleans Square is better than you imagine - I spent so much time there I kinda missed a little time in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland so watch your time.

When you're there, 5 words: bread bowl, monte cristo sandwich

~`` todd

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

A perfect article - I agree with every choice!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I can't disagree with any of those, but I might add a few if you consider expanding a little more to maybe a "top ten".

6) I always thought the Storybook Land area was very nicely done. The Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train are of course not big thrill type rides, but to me they are classic Disney Park attractions. I'd have to guess there might be a story out there somewhere as to why they didn't recreate those in FL, but if there is, I don't know the reasons.

7) Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes. There is nothing quite as cool/unique as paddling a real canoe around Tom Sawyer Island with a bunch of other guests and the skilled cast members that somehow get us all to work well enough to make the loop successfully. Looking it up just now, it looks like WDW had these from opening day until 1994, but I didn't visit until years later, so I never got to do this in FL.

8) I'd probably add one or two more of the "not in WDW" attractions. Alice in Wonderland for one. Not that it's a big thrill or anything, but the travel of the vehicle in the third dimension gives it a bit of variety from other dark rides, IMO. (Peter Pan excluded, of course, the hanging ships you ride in on both coasts are plenty unique enough in their own right, as evidenced by the continuous high demand/long lines all these years later). Alice is not as cool as the Subs, so I agree those are higher in the list, but it's still cool.

9) Fantasmic in DL. To me the design of the show in DL is far more impressive than that in WDW. When they first imagined this show and designed it as essentially a major "Plussing" of the existing Rivers of America /Tom Sawyer Island area, to me that was a huge win. Though it is of course a challenge also due to the viewing area being along the edge of the ROA, but it's still a HUGE win, in my eyes. The larger scale of the full size Ships used during the show is also a major "cool" factor. True it's not as comfortable as the stadium they built for the show at DHS, and it adds a bit of chaos, but I still would make sure to do this when you do get out there someday.

10) As to food... I vote for Bengal Barbecue skewers. Those are possibly my favorite counter service food in DL. Really wish they someday find a way to bring these to WDW.

-Dave

I loved your list but for me the Finding Nemo subs are a once and done attraction. I wasnt a fan of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at MK either. There are other attractions at DL that are so much better.

I’ve been to DL almost every other year since 2012 and I recommend it to all WDW fans to give it a shot. Some of my comments are based on being a WDW veteran.

5. New Orleans Square. NOS is nice. It reminds me of walking through a World Showcase country in EPCOT with the unique dining, shops, and architecture.
    4. Pirates. I agree the DL version is better except I prefer the WDW’s Spanish fort queue over DL’s queue.
    3. Matterhorn. Nice rollercoaster. It reminds me of a tamed Expedition Everest.
    2. Submarines. I only do this when there is no wait. I preferred the 20K ride at WDW. I like the Finding Nemo movies but I am not a fan of their attraction overlays in Submarine Voyage or the Living Seas.
    1. The Lamp in Walt's Apartment. I agree with you on Walt. It is one of the reasons I also love Enchanted Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Railroad, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and the Golden Horseshoe.

Whenever DL lifts the CA residency requirements, here are my Top 5 things I need to see at DL:
    1. Splash Mountain – my favorite ride at DL just like WDW. It has some unique characteristics different from WDW such as a jazzy soundtrack. Also, as a big fan of Disney Parks history, it's nice to see the critters from former America Sings attraction.
    2. Mr. Toad – I love the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad movie plus I loved this ride as a kid at WDW.
    3. Sleeping Beauty Castle – Although small in comparison to Cinderella Castle at WDW, I am always in awe of this castle.
    4. Pirates.
    5. Big Thunder Mountain – similar opinion to Splash Mountain. It's my favorite rollercoaster at both WDW and DL and the DL version is unique to the WDW version because it has remnants of the former Natures Wonderland attraction.

Honorable mention: Visiting the following nice attractions only at DL: Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canals, Casey Jr., Indiana Jones, and Roger Rabbit Spin

Yes, I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and Disneyland was much easier to get to than the 5.5 hour flight to Orlando. But after the first trip to WDW there was no going back. I tried to think of some kind of comparison but there is none.
    They are not even in the same league. So now that I live in the gator state, no reason at all to even think about going back to Disneyland.

Sadly Chris, you will be taunted until you make it out there:-) I'm thinking Mouseplanet meet out west in 2022:-)

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwin View Post
    New Orleans Square is better than you imagine - I spent so much time there I kinda missed a little time in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland so watch your time.

When you're there, 5 words: bread bowl, monte cristo sandwich

~`` todd
    Those are 5 awesome sounding words.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    A perfect article - I agree with every choice!
    ...and that's saying something!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I can't disagree with any of those, but I might add a few if you consider expanding a little more to maybe a "top ten".

6) I always thought the Storybook Land area was very nicely done. The Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr. Circus Train are of course not big thrill type rides, but to me they are classic Disney Park attractions. I'd have to guess there might be a story out there somewhere as to why they didn't recreate those in FL, but if there is, I don't know the reasons.

7) Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes. There is nothing quite as cool/unique as paddling a real canoe around Tom Sawyer Island with a bunch of other guests and the skilled cast members that somehow get us all to work well enough to make the loop successfully. Looking it up just now, it looks like WDW had these from opening day until 1994, but I didn't visit until years later, so I never got to do this in FL.

8) I'd probably add one or two more of the "not in WDW" attractions. Alice in Wonderland for one. Not that it's a big thrill or anything, but the travel of the vehicle in the third dimension gives it a bit of variety from other dark rides, IMO. (Peter Pan excluded, of course, the hanging ships you ride in on both coasts are plenty unique enough in their own right, as evidenced by the continuous high demand/long lines all these years later). Alice is not as cool as the Subs, so I agree those are higher in the list, but it's still cool.

9) Fantasmic in DL. To me the design of the show in DL is far more impressive than that in WDW. When they first imagined this show and designed it as essentially a major "Plussing" of the existing Rivers of America /Tom Sawyer Island area, to me that was a huge win. Though it is of course a challenge also due to the viewing area being along the edge of the ROA, but it's still a HUGE win, in my eyes. The larger scale of the full size Ships used during the show is also a major "cool" factor. True it's not as comfortable as the stadium they built for the show at DHS, and it adds a bit of chaos, but I still would make sure to do this when you do get out there someday.

10) As to food... I vote for Bengal Barbecue skewers. Those are possibly my favorite counter service food in DL. Really wish they someday find a way to bring these to WDW.
    Each of one of those were in my initial list and then got whittled down. Even the skewers because we made them on one of our cooking shows on the MousePlanet Fun at Home shows.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I loved your list but for me the Finding Nemo subs are a once and done attraction. I wasn’t a fan of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at MK either. There are other attractions at DL that are so much better.
    I think I'd be happy with once and done!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbuffmelvin71 View Post
    I’ve been to DL almost every other year since 2012 and I recommend it to all WDW fans to give it a shot. Some of my comments are based on being a WDW veteran.

5. New Orleans Square. NOS is nice. It reminds me of walking through a World Showcase country in EPCOT with the unique dining, shops, and architecture.
    4. Pirates. I agree the DL version is better except I prefer the WDW’s Spanish fort queue over DL’s queue.
    3. Matterhorn. Nice rollercoaster. It reminds me of a tamed Expedition Everest.
    2. Submarines. I only do this when there is no wait. I preferred the 20K ride at WDW. I like the Finding Nemo movies but I am not a fan of their attraction overlays in Submarine Voyage or the Living Seas.
    1. The Lamp in Walt's Apartment. I agree with you on Walt. It is one of the reasons I also love Enchanted Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Railroad, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and the Golden Horseshoe.

Whenever DL lifts the CA residency requirements, here are my Top 5 things I need to see at DL:
    1. Splash Mountain – my favorite ride at DL just like WDW. It has some unique characteristics different from WDW such as a jazzy soundtrack. Also, as a big fan of Disney Parks history, it's nice to see the critters from former America Sings attraction.
    2. Mr. Toad – I love the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad movie plus I loved this ride as a kid at WDW.
    3. Sleeping Beauty Castle – Although small in comparison to Cinderella Castle at WDW, I am always in awe of this castle.
    4. Pirates.
    5. Big Thunder Mountain – similar opinion to Splash Mountain. It's my favorite rollercoaster at both WDW and DL and the DL version is unique to the WDW version because it has remnants of the former Natures Wonderland attraction.

Honorable mention: Visiting the following nice attractions only at DL: Pinocchio, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canals, Casey Jr., Indiana Jones, and Roger Rabbit Spin
    Great response. Makes me realize how much more I want to see!!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwchuck View Post
    Yes, I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and Disneyland was much easier to get to than the 5.5 hour flight to Orlando. But after the first trip to WDW there was no going back. I tried to think of some kind of comparison but there is none.
    They are not even in the same league. So now that I live in the gator state, no reason at all to even think about going back to Disneyland.
    Good for you! Nice relocation.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey021 View Post
    Sadly Chris, you will be taunted until you make it out there:-) I'm thinking Mouseplanet meet out west in 2022:-)
    I humbly accept the taunting. Todd hasn't been to Galaxy's Edge though....

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    I humbly accept the taunting. Todd hasn't been to Galaxy's Edge though....
    That is very true, and in some ways that's worse:-)