Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Journey Into Imagination with Figment

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Journey Into Imagination with Figment

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About Epcot's Journey Into Imagination with Figment by Chris Barry

Chris sparks his imagination with a tour through this venerable Epcot classic.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

You know that I like to find points of agreement with you, Chris. But I just can't here - I HATE this attraction! And it's not because I'm comparing it with the original (which was indeed much better!). I dislike the current version because there's so much wasted opportunity. The biggest example that comes to mind is the Sight Lab. The main effect is . . . wait for it now . . . a projection of Figment and an eye chart - lame! This is the only Disney attraction that I finish angry (and I'll still ride every other trip or so). I'm left with a feeling or "That's it? That's the best they can do?" Very disappointing.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Yup...I did say that this attraction receives its fair share of hate out there. I'd agree that the Sight Lab is pretty lame.

Here's to hoping they make you happy and me happy by plussing this ride quite a bit...but leaving Figment as the star.

I hope it gets the "plus" love it deserves because there is so much potential with the character of Figment. I rode each version and I'm one who still thinks the original is best but even it could be improved. I have the hope that it will one day astound us more than ever.

Lovely list! A good positive look at the current ride and will help me appreciate it a little more next time I'm there ... soon Eric Idle is always a charm so I like him, too, and I just *imagine* all the adventures Figment and he could have had together -- alas

~`` Todd King
    (Foxtwin)

The original was definitely the best of the three. But I wasn't wild about it - it felt like Disney had run out of money (or imagination, get it?) about 2/3 of the way through, and just kinda phoned it in for the last few scenes. Sure started strong, though!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

The original Journey was one of the best attractions ever built. One of the biggest Disney blunders of all time was replacing the original Journey with Version 2. Although it is not the same as visiting in person, I am happy the original Journey is on YouTube. I hope Splash Mountain's redo is canceled (if changed it will be a bigger tragedy than the original Journey replaced with Version 2) and Tony Baxter’s talents are used to reimagine Journey to its original glory of Figment and Dreamfinder. There were rumors many years ago of Inside Out replacing Journey. I would rather keep the current version of Journey than switch to a non-Figment attraction.

Although inferior to the original, I like the current version and is a must-do for us every time we visit Epcot. Here are my 5:

5. Disney Film References – I like actors Fred MacMurray and Kurt Russell so it's nice to see references to their Disney films.
    4. Ride System – I like this omnimover car ride system and its keeps wait times minimal.
    3. One Little Spark – I love this song especially the version from the original attraction.
    2. The Final Reveal Room – This scene alone is worth a visit to Journey. Currently, it is my favorite scene out of all the current Epcot attractions.
    1. Figment – I love original theme park characters especially Figment. Unless the price is too expensive or women’s clothing, I buy any Figment merchandise I see.

Thank you for the wonderful write up. This has always had a fond place in my heart as I remember many trips in the 80s where my family could spend 4-5 hours between the Imagination pavilion and the Wonders of Life pavilion. While I am on the side that the original is the best version, I still enjoy the newest iteration. More importantly, my kids now love figment, too. I am not sure if we are allowed to post a video link (and if not, please remove this), but I came across a really interesting video of the history of the imagination pavilion and it goes into depth about anything you would ever want to know about it.
    Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kry42mo_lw
    Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwin View Post
    I hope it gets the "plus" love it deserves because there is so much potential with the character of Figment. I rode each version and I'm one who still thinks the original is best but even it could be improved. I have the hope that it will one day astound us more than ever.

Lovely list! A good positive look at the current ride and will help me appreciate it a little more next time I'm there ... soon Eric Idle is always a charm so I like him, too, and I just *imagine* all the adventures Figment and he could have had together -- alas
    Thanks...I do try to be positive in my Top 5's. To quote Professor Nigel, "Always look on the bright side of life..."

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbuffmelvin71 View Post
    The original Journey was one of the best attractions ever built. One of the biggest Disney blunders of all time was replacing the original Journey with Version 2. Although it is not the same as visiting in person, I am happy the original Journey is on YouTube. I hope Splash Mountain's redo is canceled (if changed it will be a bigger tragedy than the original Journey replaced with Version 2) and Tony Baxter’s talents are used to reimagine Journey to its original glory of Figment and Dreamfinder. There were rumors many years ago of Inside Out replacing Journey. I would rather keep the current version of Journey than switch to a non-Figment attraction.

Although inferior to the original, I like the current version and is a must-do for us every time we visit Epcot. Here are my 5:

5. Disney Film References – I like actors Fred MacMurray and Kurt Russell so it's nice to see references to their Disney films.
    4. Ride System – I like this omnimover car ride system and its keeps wait times minimal.
    3. One Little Spark – I love this song especially the version from the original attraction.
    2. The Final Reveal Room – This scene alone is worth a visit to Journey. Currently, it is my favorite scene out of all the current Epcot attractions.
    1. Figment – I love original theme park characters especially Figment. Unless the price is too expensive or women’s clothing, I buy any Figment merchandise I see.
    Hey max,

Big fan of Splash Mountain as well, but you can probably bank on that change happening. The current Splash Merchandise is rumored to be all gone - and not even sent to the Disney Outlet. It's GONE.
    I would be a big fan of an Inside Out attraction for sure, but I really hope it doesn't boot Figment out. Can they maybe incorporate the two into one attraction?? That has possibility, but also reeks of shoehorning Figment in so I kinda hope they don't do that.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MilklessMouser View Post
    Thank you for the wonderful write up. This has always had a fond place in my heart as I remember many trips in the 80s where my family could spend 4-5 hours between the Imagination pavilion and the Wonders of Life pavilion. While I am on the side that the original is the best version, I still enjoy the newest iteration. More importantly, my kids now love figment, too. I am not sure if we are allowed to post a video link (and if not, please remove this), but I came across a really interesting video of the history of the imagination pavilion and it goes into depth about anything you would ever want to know about it.
    Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kry42mo_lw
    Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    I'll check it out and thanks fore the kind words.

MousePlanet Staff

Good comments everyone. Keep em coming!